Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just heard a news story on FOX... the Savannah ports auth wants to deepen the Savannah river from 42' to 48' deep...

Posted by jbow 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
It sure would be interesting to have access to the mud they dredge up... they want to deepen it from the mouth up to the port to accomodate larger ships that can now only get there at high tide. Reports due next December. Of course the environmentalists are against it but the ports auth say 1/3 of the budget goes toward mnimizing any environmental impact from more saltwater flowing up river... personally I don't think it would be a problem.

This may be something to keep an eye on and see if anyone can gain access to whatever riverbottom they dredge up. It should be some interesting detecting and sifting.

[liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com]

Julien
That would make for some for some very interesting detecting, to say the least!
My guess is they would treat the dredgings as toxic waste. Over the years man has dumped plenty of "bad stuff" into our rivers. It settles to the bottom and is in layers. I'd like to see the test results of what's in the river bed. There is history as we like to find it, in coins and relics and, there is also history of what man has dumped into the water.
Thats possible. I know the factories over here dumped alot of garbage into the Detroit river before the EPA came along. Even still...call me crazy, I'd still take my chances. Wear some long rubber gloves and boots and have at it.
Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 06:38PM by Aaron.
they did the river up here a few years ago
January 30, 2011 01:14PM
where it met the ocean, the wanted to make the harbor deeper, the brought in a big machine, like the ones they use in dredging in Alaska, with a big conveyor belt and just dump the sand on the beach , they added in depth. about 10 feet to the beach, then it all washed back in two years later after a big storm, never found much, but just a lot of iron
Re: they did the river up here a few years ago
January 31, 2011 02:33AM
What kind of iron? Square nails???
it should all be detailed in reports/plains as to what they will do with the dredged material.