Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This is rather disturbing in regards to quality control...

Posted by TerraDigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: This is rather disturbing in regards to quality control...
February 01, 2011 04:26PM
"HI MY NAME IS BOB HOW MAY I HELP YOU from India"
i got that with minelab!!!! and i think they have stopped now..
February 01, 2011 11:14PM
Minelab is multi-freq complex square-wave. . . . with multiple harmonics analyzed.

And with (at least) 2 freq's xmitted (and rcvd).......and run through a comparator.... a much better basis for mineralization base-analyze can be ascertained.

I am tempted to become a (modified) dealer.....and sell only units that I have tested.....at least once......in the real-world.....that meet stringent spec's/requirements. I have always felt this would be a good 'starting-point' for the customer to "know" it has been truly tested.
February 01, 2011 11:32PM

I am tempted to become a (modified) dealer.....and sell only units that I have tested.....at least once......in the real-world.....that meet stringent spec's/requirements. I have always felt this would be a good 'starting-point' for the customer to "know" it has been truly tested.

Do it. I would definitely buy from you.
February 02, 2011 12:28AM
That's not a bad idea. You may have to loose the day job, and take on some assistants. I'd love to move to Florida and serve an apprenticeship. ;-)
Tom D...............
February 02, 2011 01:41AM
If you could juice up my T2, I also would patronize your venture.
February 02, 2011 02:25AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am tempted to become a (modified) dealer.....and
> sell only units that I have tested.....at least
> once......in the real-world.....that meet
> stringent spec's/requirements. I have always felt
> this would be a good 'starting-point' for the
> customer to "know" it has been truly tested.

Tom, that sounds like a great idea. You already have a website to do it from....
February 02, 2011 03:28AM
It was a cold hard truth that lead me to lay down my F75 and put a ETrac in it's place. I would come back to Fisher in a heart beat if they made a land machine that can hunt the 100+ year old city parks i pound. Love my rock solid CZ-21.
February 02, 2011 06:15AM
Great idea, Tom. If you did that, I'd be curious as to what percentage of detectors would "flunk" your testing as is out of the box.
February 02, 2011 02:51PM
OK that does it if you got BOB now i know CS is going to be nonexistent. Im all for that Tom as long as you are in it for the right reason. Id be surprised if ML gave away very much info even to you. Little nats like me cant even find any one who can tell me what those randomly set 28 freqs are for each channel. I know each channnel has them set randomly unlike their SOV. Id love to know that just so in can manually set my channels on occasion with a reasonable guess as to what might work. Thats a worthless option right now without information. It would be interesting what you could tell us or what tweaks you could do. I read a lot from the Gurus that use them, but little tech talk. You might not like the politics.

Dew
Marcomo I Don't agree..
February 02, 2011 10:52PM
Still have the same problem with my F75 as when I sent it in, Daniel tell me that the coil picks up some charge or something from my hand if you touch, Don't believe they ever checked it out after the "Said repair was done just put in a new coil still sounds off when you bump anything As with Mike Scott still have my bum 1270 coil after Felix said to replace it that wasn't op. right. The leter they sent back is supposed to tell you what they found and what they did, nothing like it in my letter, just replaced coil.
Re: Marcomo I Don't agree..
February 04, 2011 01:41AM
I shall give serious consideration to this thought. No.....it would not be prudent to give the statistics as to HOW many detectors are sent back to the Mfr. (regardless of brand).

I just don't see myself 'pedaling' detectors....or being a traveling salesman; yet, offering something that provides product differentiation may help a lot of folks.
February 04, 2011 02:57AM
Tom is right, all brands have their share of returned detectors that have issues.
And I am sure there are many closet detectors from any brand that work perfect......
or should I say the owners of closet detectors never know their detector has a problem.
Re: Marcomo I Don't agree..
February 04, 2011 04:20AM
I dont see that happening either, nor do I think its worth your time, unless you had a radically different technology to offer....
Like... pulse induction discrimination...nah, forget it. Just wishful thinking.
Tom............another business idea to suggest
February 04, 2011 04:57AM
Why don't you sell your DVD/any other material you develop on Amazon. I would suggest having the term 'metal detector' in the title, for the obvious search engine benefits.

note: when your really famous, remember your loyal forum memberssmiling smiley

And I am serious about the suggestion. You need more exposure on your great material.
Re: Tom............another business idea to suggest
February 04, 2011 10:36PM
Wally?
Questions for Tom
February 05, 2011 01:56AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No.....it would not be prudent to give
> the statistics as to HOW many detectors are sent
> back to the Mfr. (regardless of brand).

Tom, I didn't think this one through. I can see where giving any type of numbers would be a lose-lose situation for you.

Disclosing a low percentage of flunks devalues your testing, disclosing a high percentage of flunks ticks off the manufacturer.

A question that comes to mind is the willingness of any manufacturer(s) to take back a detector that is not up to snuff according to your rigorous testing, but would be acceptable within their testing parameters.

Another question I was wondering: would you be doing any modifications to improve performance or features on any tested units?
Re: Questions for Tom
February 05, 2011 02:18PM
VERY perceptive Marcus.

FIRST.........let me clear the air. My intent of selling a few 'absolutely validated' detectors (regardless of brand).........would NOT be for 'business' purposes.......or for profit-making/money purposes; rather, to significantly help YOU (the diehard end-user) fully "realize" a platform (the detector) design intent (the max performance capabilities).........and to generate more 'warm-fuzzies' (security/confidence) with the new unit. I have had overwhelming volumes of e-mails/private messages (PM's) from folks asking for exactly this. I would have to abide by dealer/distributor pricing structure......so as NOT to infringe upon (or capitalize upon) their livelihood. I have even contemplated the idea of providing a 'package' of ---new detector and one full day of real-world training--- to be available for folks to choose/select. This would initiate a good starting-point (life) for the 'survival'.... and subsequent 'true fascination and love' for the hobby. This would be analogous to ..... giving the keys of a new ZR-1 Corvette.....to a Learner Permit equipped 15 year-old boy. BOTH are extremely capable; yet, no performance resultant will ensue........UNLESS professional training were given. Education and training are critical.

SECONDLY........Yes, there would have to be a special relationship between me and Mfr............in order to achieve this. There would be a... well understood... (underlying) priceless (somewhat 'endorsement') ""positive"" out of such motive; along with many other 'positives' .............some quite obvious...and some not-so-obvious.......that Mfr(s) are quite aware of. More product sold.......and more units on the street (with inherent/subsequent/natural advertising) ......is another 'positive'. The only (non-superficial) 'negative' would be: "Why can't the Mfr just simply build and ship absolutely validated units.....from the get-go"...........and circumvent all of this other intent?". For one, , , it would be quite expensive. For two, , , there are sooo many products out on the markets.....that......we know...... it's a 'crap-shot' on purchasing these devices.......BECAUSE of the variations (unit-to-unit)......and would be too expensive for a Mfr to check each and every one to the n'th degree.

THIRDLY......... No..........initially, I would not modify 'warranty' units...........although, I have been given a 'go' for such.

Tom
Tom.........
February 05, 2011 03:32PM
I have a dealer in my area that does scheduled 1-3 day training/field trips for his customers. He's been doing it for years. He sets the field trip schedules throughout the year so buyers can fit the trips into their schedules. He does charge for them and rightly so.
Re: Questions for Tom
February 05, 2011 08:53PM
Excellent and exciting news, Tom...both in the lines and between them!

I hope you decide to follow the path you're contemplating, I'm sure you'll have a lot of support.
February 05, 2011 10:35PM
I generally like the idea but there are concerns. Will the Mfg take back a unit that Tom fails? Where does THAT unit go? What if Tom finds a glaring problem (AT Pro coils) and refuses to ship a single unit? Does he say anything? Does the Mfg have input to Tom's test criteria?
February 05, 2011 11:39PM
Tom, I may consider buying an AT-Pro if you get it first and make sure it is "up to snuff"... (I really don't see that happening though, lol) one can dream though.

J
February 05, 2011 11:52PM
OK folks, I'm pretty new to this website AND forum, and my head is swimming from all the info. Having said that, in all my reading I seem to be getting the impression that Mr. Dankowski has been known to check over some people's detectors at times, and maybe even tweak them, for optimal performance. Am I understanding this correctly, or no? Something to do particularly with CZ-3D machines, mabye? I for one would LOVE to have my detector (not a CZ) tested/tweaked by Mr. Dankowski for optimal performance, and would gladly pay to have this done. Am I correct or incorrect here? Further, the idea of being able to BUY a NEW unit, where each unit was "certified" in some way by Mr. Dankowski, would certainly be very intriguing!

Steve
February 06, 2011 02:01AM
It is my understanding that most new detectors today, especially the flagships and those of recent design, have no provision for tweaking.
February 06, 2011 03:09AM
I tend to agree, one would need schematics and know a model inside out.
During the age of analog it was a lot easier to tweak.
Digital....I would imagine program codes and such would have to be understood
and re-program of chips.
February 06, 2011 12:44PM
Think of the resale value of a machine tweaked or tested with Toms name on it. If you were upgrading anyway that alone would be worth the money. I think the down side is some people have high expectations, use the machine once, think they are an expert, and start complaining about it not working properly. We already get that on new machines from people who just arent willing to put in the time to learn their equipment. Tell you what if Tom did this id be in that LONG line to have may Explorer tweaked.... momma didnt raise no fool.

Dew
February 06, 2011 01:26PM
I know that...he did a great job on my 3D. Things a BEAST air tests a dime at 12".
Cant wait to let it loose again this spring!
Aaron
February 06, 2011 01:35PM
Aaron --

Can you fill me in a bit? I keep seeing the cryptic allusions to Mr. Dankowski "tweaking" certain machines (seems like maybe only the CZ-3D) and having the users very happy with the improved performance. Is this only for the CZs; how did you get the opportunity to have this done for your machine, etc.?

Steve
February 06, 2011 05:50PM
Steve,

Tom has been known to calibrate, (not repair) the CZ line of machines (except the CZ-70 Pro), when he has the time. This is something he does in his spare time to help fellow MD'ers and for his love of the hobby. I just happen to ask him when he had the chance... fortunately for me, and everyone else who he has helped out.

Aaron.
February 06, 2011 06:00PM
Thanks much, Aaron.

This "calibration" is only done on the CZ machines, eh? I am assuming, due to what go-rebels and Steve(MS) stated earlier, the newer machines cannot really be tweaked?

So, I guess along those same lines, you can't really even send a digital machine back to the manufacturer for a "tune-up," unless there is a new software version which they can load, or something like that?

I think I'm getting this figured out, thanks to everyone's input... smiling smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 06:13PM by steveg.
February 06, 2011 06:03PM
Makes me wonder why not the CZ 70 Thanks Mike