Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

military button? - more pictures and buttons

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
military button? - more pictures and buttons
August 20, 2016 02:35PM
Mornin!
Yesterday I went out to a large field that I have been visiting for years. It has been farmed since mid 1700s, so all manner of stuff comes out of it. I was experimenting with a SEF 15x12 coil on the F75, and focusing on an area of the field with sparse targets, looking for only weak signals. I dug two buttons. I have gotten other buttons out of this field with eagles on them, but this one looks to me to have an I on it. I am no button expert, and am having trouble trying to match it up to anything. Single piece buttons seem to be older than Civil War period, but I don't know. I really don't think I want to try to clean it much, since there is a crack in the upper left. I am hesitant to even put oil on it.

Anyone have advice on the true identity of the one with the eagle? The back is also not terribly clear but it does say Fine Orange Gilt.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 02:40AM by Rod-PA.
Re: military button?
August 20, 2016 03:02PM
Can't help you with ID,,but nice finds.

Congrats
August 20, 2016 03:47PM
Looks like CW. The R is rifleman.

Nice find.
August 20, 2016 04:05PM
That would be more inline with an 1820-1830s button.
August 20, 2016 07:51PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would be more inline with an 1820-1830s
> button.

Agree

pre civil war for sure
August 20, 2016 09:10PM
There Both 1830s

NICE R!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 21, 2016 02:39AM
ok, this is mildly crazy...but I went back through all the buttons in my dug collection, because I knew I have dug a bunch from that same field in the past 3 years.

First, I apologize for the lousy pictures. My phone stinks at pictures, and then trying to get them to actually be upright...egads.

It looks like I have at least three of the same type of button. I know none are in great shape, but the backs are all perfectly identical for all the lettering. The top button is the one shown in the original pictures. The middle one you can see some letter or at least bump where there would be a letter, and the bottom one is way too toasty, but is obviously an eagle, and there are lines where the arrows are on the bottom right on the obverse. The middle button is in by far the best shape overall, but does anyone have a good way they would recommend to try to clean it enough to see the letter better?

And thanks all for the identification on the buttons. I love your knowledge.

Here are the pics.

Re: military button? - more pictures and buttons
November 02, 2016 01:51AM
dug two more yesterday....same property, but probably 200 ft or more away from the other buttons locations. These two are in the best shape. I uploaded pictures of just the best one...definitely a I on these two. Same back, though. Brings total buttons, same size and type to 5 so far.

I would still rather find some old silver coins, but these buttons are starting to grow on me....

HH all.
November 02, 2016 07:04AM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dug two more yesterday....same property, but
> probably 200 ft or more away from the other
> buttons locations. These two are in the best
> shape. I uploaded pictures of just the best
> one...definitely a I on these two. Same back,
> though. Brings total buttons, same size and type
> to 5 so far.
>
> [i113.photobucket.com]
> k/Infantry%20Obv_zpsgimmyjaw.jpg
>
> [i113.photobucket.com]
> k/Infantry%20Rev_zpsvnc5lf9n.jpg
>
> I would still rather find some old silver coins,
> but these buttons are starting to grow on me....
>
> HH all.

When you can't find coins, buttons are the next best thing!

This buttons might be a bit older then 1830's IMHO.

hh,
Brian
November 02, 2016 07:25AM
Nice. I haven't found a complete CW button in years.
November 02, 2016 12:54PM
Nice saves. Would that be a early eagle I ? Seen some "A" buttons but not came across an early I yet in researching yours...none the less Great saves!