Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

found krugerrand pendant or charm (not gold)...help?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
found krugerrand pendant or charm (not gold)...help?
September 01, 2016 09:23PM
Just wondering if anybody has found one of these before? A first for me. Found at the private camp I detect.
Says "Krugerrand" at top. "1980," then at the bottom is another series of words - "???? FYNGOUD FINE GOLD ????"

And on the back, seen under several powers of magnification, appears to be several lines of text; I have no idea what.

It's a wee bit larger in dia. than a US quarter.

It would be nice if someone can point me to a similar piece where the wording is legible. The white metal (gave a nickel TID) is crumbly and I cannot risk further cleaning. Looks like it might have been gilded.

Thanks for looking.

Oh, was using the Nokta FORS Relic and the new 5.5x10 DD coil.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 09:34PM by ncwayne.
Re: found krugerrand pendant or charm (not gold)...help?
September 01, 2016 10:35PM
Evidently one side of a reproduction of a real one.

That word you can't read probably says replica or something like it.
Pretty cool find, actually.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 11:31PM by diggwr27.
September 01, 2016 11:06PM
Thanks, but nope. Not a coin; hence no replica of a coin. I looked at the krugerrands online before posting. That's where I got the "FYNGOUD."

This is something different...like a pendant or charm. I think too small for a watch fob. Maybe a cheap key chain ornament? Really would like to know what it says on the back.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
September 01, 2016 11:23PM
LOL!

Obviously not a gold coin....a REPLICA of a real gold coin, (even has a fake bezel), made into a pendant.
Bling on a chain that might look real to some if you don't look close.
For the European thug type that has very little money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2016 11:29PM by diggwr27.
September 02, 2016 12:17AM
Gold coins or infact any gold artifact basically comes out the ground the same condition as when it was lost,it never tarnishes,rusts or corrodes either,these are the properties of gold,i have foind some celtic gold staters from 55 BC and the condition was the same as when lost over 2000 years ago.

Sorry too have to say your find is a fake in a base metal but may have been gold dipped at some stage but has worn away over time,Krugerrand's mounted in a gold mount had been very popular during the 70s-90s,another popular coin mounted in the same way was the mexican gold peso.
September 02, 2016 12:49AM
Interesting find.

Congrats.
September 02, 2016 01:07AM