Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer 2

Posted by deadeye 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer 2
October 28, 2016 03:35PM
I did some testing with bigger pieces of iron with the Racer 2. Setting the id filter high enough to eliminate the iron, I would be passing all coins reading under a dime.The coils I have tried are the 5 OOR and the 7x11. Using the Racer 2 in any field I would have to use another detector and clean out the iron first, because it struggles in the fields with iron.
Re: Racer 2
October 28, 2016 04:37PM
That hasn't been my experience, but on the other hand, I don't try to disc out the iron. I run my disc @ 2, and the iron audio @ 2. The machines handles iron well in the dirt that I hunt. That said, I've yet to find ANY machine that won't have some kind of challenge with larger iron.
October 28, 2016 05:37PM
I may just see things as an old guy, but I keep thinking a lot of people have VERY unrealistic expectations regarding VID. The variables are mind blowing and while our digital brains work wonders, when there are so many variables in play its close to impossible to to conclude tat 100% of the time this is a dime and never a copper penny or? Without much thinking I can imagine size vs depth, soil composition, alloy mix and oxidation, EMI and battery level oh and swing imperfections can complicate things beyond the basic task. Doubtless others can easily come up with more. Its a help for the user not a gift from the All Knowing One. Brian has it right as usual.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 29, 2016 05:15PM
I have been detecting more than 9 years. I am just saying to do away with the big iron using id filter, I have to set it really high. I only look at the id number if it gives a good sound, and that is what it is doing on big iron. IH pennies and buttons read lower than the tone it is giving on big iron. I try running a detector so I hear most everything in the ground, the Racer 2 is the worst detector I have run around big pieces of iron.
October 29, 2016 07:53PM
This is a good example of why one detector doesn't please everyone. One of the things I like best about the Racer and Racer 2 is the way it responds to iron. If I set the detector to eliminate nails and small iron for my ghost town sites, it will still give me a good hit on the larger iron targets. Most of the time, I'm hunting for non ferrous coins and tokens at these sites, but the Racer will hit the larger iron that I also want to find like padlocks, guns, horseshoes, and other larger iron relics. With many detectors, if you set the discrimination to eliminate nails, you'll also miss out on the nice iron relics.
October 30, 2016 12:02PM
Maybe we should meet and compare some targets? ive been doing well with my 705 and did well with my racer 2.
October 30, 2016 12:37PM
The Racer 2 will respond to larger iron. There are hints to it like target size and bouncy numbers. It will not sound round. If you try to disk out the iron you will miss too many good things like Indians, three centers, nickels, Flying Eagles and so on. The Racer 2 will hit coins between the iron very well. I personally didn't like the depth so the detector went bye-bye, but I found the Racer 2 to be a much better coin hunter than the Red Racer. Don't try to make the Racer 2 into a CTX. It just can't do it.
October 30, 2016 12:51PM
It might be wise to define large iron. Some might consider anything larger than nails....some might be thinking barrel bands and I beams.
October 31, 2016 01:16AM
Deadeye,

Listen to the tone,,,,how it responds,,repeats,,,

Turning 90 degrees may give a clue too.

ID on meter will give hints lots of times.

Trying to use Racer 2 as you suggest-- to allow for only the purest of singals,,,lots of good stuff will be left behind.

And this certainly applies to many other detectors as well,,,at least my experiences.
October 31, 2016 09:54AM
I am talking things like axe heads and pieces of steel 1 or 2 inches wide and 8 or 10 inches long x 1/2 inch thick that give a solid higher beep, with the numbers not bouncing around any. With other detectors I get an iron grunt on them.
November 01, 2016 05:34AM
Just curious--what detectors give an iron grunt on axeheads?

The Red Racer is great in identifying iron, and I have to assume that the Racer2 does, also. I use 0 discrimination and when the coil--the small OOR coil--goes over sheet iron and even an old iron bottlecap, there are low tones on each edge of the object. Sometimes the low tone is very faint on the edges and usually that's when the iron is thicker. So if it's a larger solid signal with no low sounds on the edges, it could definitely be a larger relic. The XP Goldmax Power would really let you know when you detected a crowbar--just a solid signal, and of course no meter. The VID #'s are useful only when you get a distinct non-ferrous tone-- and in 3 tone there can be alternating mid & high tones because the detector has a hard time defining the metal composition and/or size. Gotta move very slowly in the iron junk.