Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any folks who hunt at night, legally?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any folks who hunt at night, legally?
December 06, 2016 12:57AM
Heading out to a city property now where an 1864 building was just demolished this weekend...... maybe last time out before snow...
Re: Any folks who hunt at night, legally?
December 06, 2016 01:10AM
What is your question about night-hunting ? That your demolition site needs to be hit after hours @ night ?

I hunt nights all the time. So peaceful. So serene smiling smiley Just don't use any machine backlights on your detector, and don't use head-lamps or any sort of lights. Instead, just let your eyes adjust to the moon light and star light. Only turn on lights for when you need to adjust your machine, or see a date on a coin, etc.... Hence use your machine's audio only.

Because if you try to use any sort of lights, then your eyes/pupils will become adjusted to *just* that beam of light. And you will become blind and out of focus to everything else around you.

Not to mention being an eyesore, that invites any busy-body to come ask "what are you doing?" etc.....
December 06, 2016 01:22AM
I do on private property with permission - just get ready for the cops to show up if someone sees you. It's happened to me twice. Both times were a hassle. Both times I have to call the owners and show my ID to the Cops. I was not breaking any laws. I had permission! But I want to make it short and sweet and let them be on their way so I can get back to hunting.
Just saying nobody would of cared if it was during the day...

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
December 06, 2016 04:47AM
Mainly in the heat of summer with a bright moon. When need to use a light at the hole or to adjust the machine close one of your eyes, that way when you turn the light off you can still see somewhat. I like to use a green chemlight instead of the flashlight though, don't blind you as bad and keeps the bugs away (don't think you'll have to worry about the latter this time of year lol)

Not everyone that hunts nights are shady. Have fun and be safe
December 06, 2016 05:59AM
Searched for the demolished building. No where to be found. Newspaper made a mistake. Dang it.
December 06, 2016 08:18AM
Maybe it was just one heck of a good clean up lol

Better luck next time smileys with beer
December 06, 2016 12:04PM
LOTS of water hunter do. I cant imagine hunting at night or the need to for dirt hunters since you arent really chasing recent drops like we are. Also, some of the places now days like parks aint safe even during the day....... at night in say Indy....... youd be crazy. City and county property without permission ... and at night would be a whole different ball game.

Dew
December 06, 2016 01:51PM
"I used to hunt Siesta Key by night after locking up the pub after my shift...and there were a few of us!"
December 06, 2016 05:18PM
I like to dry and wet sand hunt after dark. Just have to keep alert.
Also, No Way I go into the ocean after dark. That's when the big critters come close to feed.
December 06, 2016 07:26PM
During the summer I'd head out detecting in the late evenings and stay out till after dark, and with the winter here at the moment im out sunday mornings before sunrise, also less nosy folk about at these times.
December 06, 2016 07:33PM
Beach hunt at night. Always use a light with a red filter. Will not take away from your night vision. Learned that from using a telescope looking at the night sky.
December 06, 2016 07:57PM
search and recovery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beach hunt at night. Always use a light with a red
> filter. Will not take away from your night vision.
> Learned that from using a telescope looking at the
> night sky.

My Florida beaches were nearly always moonlight light lit...no lights needed.
December 07, 2016 02:47AM
I night hunt alot...

Year round...

Sort of enjoy it...

Nothing in the world like being in a Confederate camp way back in the woods at night..

can always see something out of the corner of your eye way back in there too..

Seen some weird stuff at night deep in the woods...weak glowing light like a lantern back off in the woods coming towards you only to disappear in an area where nothing is supposed to be...smell of gun powder....and even something touched me on the shoulder one night ever so slightly I jumped up and spun around and nothing there LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 07, 2016 02:55AM
Des D Wrote:
> search and recovery Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> My Florida beaches were nearly always moonlight
> light lit...no lights needed.

Wow, here in California, our moon is only up about 12 hours a day.
So we only have a 50 percent chance that it'll be up during a night hunt.
We're going to have to see if we can get one of those almost full-time Florida moons
for next year.
winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 11:07AM by TallTom.
December 07, 2016 05:53AM
I typically enjoy night hunting quite a bit with my Racer. With my F75 it's a PITA because you cannot disable or dim the backlight (it's permanently ON) without covering it up. If there's a lot of ambient light it's not an issue, but I've hunted in totally dark areas, or without any moon, and it's blinding.

HH,
Brian
December 07, 2016 11:42AM
Quote: "Seen some weird stuff at night deep in the woods...weak glowing light like a lantern back off in the woods coming towards you only to disappear in an area where nothing is supposed to be...smell of gun powder....and even something touched me on the shoulder one night ever so slightly I jumped up and spun around and nothing there LOL!!
Keith

"You're a brave man Keith!

Sound like that movie where the lead actor ends up seeing a Civil War General and gets in a photo with him that appears in his present day home in a frame!!!
December 07, 2016 12:23PM
Siesta is a fickle beach..... lot of sand movement in between the sand bar and shore. Dont know if you would recognize it now Des ...... shes pretty shallow with all that sand moved in there. Just no ditch out there....... and point of rocks keep ya guessing. I meet some of the guys coming off the beach at Siesta from night hunting........ one guy is neck deep out there before the sun comes up. Ive also ran into some crazies just about sun up too..... i mean fruit cake crazy. But oddly unlike some of the gulf beaches i feel pretty safe on Siesta even at night. You ever get back for a visit Des give me a shout.

Dew
December 07, 2016 01:25PM
Des D Wrote:
> Quote: "Seen some weird stuff at night deep in the
> woods...weak glowing light like a lantern back off
> in the woods coming towards you only to disappear
> in an area where nothing is supposed to be...smell
> of gun powder....and even something touched me on
> the shoulder one night ever so slightly I jumped
> up and spun around and nothing there LOL!!
> Keith
>
> "You're a brave man Keith!
>
> Sound like that movie where the lead actor ends up
> seeing a Civil War General and gets in a photo
> with him that appears in his present day home in a
> frame!!!

It's a movie from 2009 starring Tommie Lee Jones called, "In The Electric Mist"

Keith, you'd enjoy it and maybe you won't be too quick in going into the camps night hunting???
December 07, 2016 05:36PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> .... With my F75 it's a PITA because you
> cannot disable or dim the backlight (it's
> permanently ON) without covering it up....

Definately. You're fiddling with black tape, and systems that allow you a sort of "flap" that you can lift up when you need access to the screen. It's been a PITA as you say. And even when you finally get some sort of cover or flap, ..... to even have a sliver of light coming out sideways, I can see you from half a foot-ball field away when we're night-hunting. Never have to wonder "where's Brian?". All I have to do is study the landscape for the little moving pin-light, where it's peaking around your flap/cover.

I'm sure it's not visible to passerbys (only visible to me since a) my eyes are long-since adjusted to the zero lights, and b) I'm purposefully looking for you. But I can only imagine that even if you had nothing but a glow" that's showing through whatever plastic or fabric you try to cover it with , that that's enough to mess with your pupil adjustment. You can't black it out 100%, because whatever it is you're covering it with, has to be removable when needed. A real PITA . Glad you got the Racer smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 05:39PM by Tom_in_CA.
December 12, 2016 07:46PM
I will check that out Des!!

I must admit I don't do alot of MODERN Movies..Unless there historical in nature.Sounds liek a Good un

I usually don't even watch a lot of TV in general...unless its documentaries...

when I do watch movies I like the old black and white ones..even the silent era...but mainly the 1930s and 1940s films....there's something about the black and white and the way the shadows move and the smoke rises from a cigarette or pipe..the cinematography from that era is awesome..!!

I like to look at the props too...modern everyday items then ..antique now!!

thanks for the tip!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 12, 2016 11:00PM
Regarding the F75 backlight: to disable it, desolder resistor R58, and fix it back on one pad only. That will turn off the LED.
From memory, the resistor value is 270 Ohms, if you were still wanting the backlight, but less strong, you could consider replacing it with something in the 510 to 1000 Ohms range.
December 13, 2016 02:24PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Regarding the F75 backlight: to disable it,
> desolder resistor R58, and fix it back on one pad
> only. That will turn off the LED.
> From memory, the resistor value is 270 Ohms, if
> you were still wanting the backlight, but less
> strong, you could consider replacing it with
> something in the 510 to 1000 Ohms range.

I saw a savvy U.K. detector dealer that offered as an option to add a switch to the F75 to enable/disable the backlight. That would be slick, how about adding a potentiometer there?
December 13, 2016 09:53PM
I was eventually going to add some on/off control to my backlight, it's currently off permanently, but there are occasions when it would be good to have it lit. My solution certainly wasn't going to have any extra switches. There are ways to use what existing hardware is in the machine to control the light. You could also use a magnetic reed switch, placed inside the case, and an external magnet. That could operate in either fashion - turning on or turning off, depending on how you fancy.