Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tricky search engine techniques on this forum...

Posted by TerraDigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tricky search engine techniques on this forum...
February 10, 2011 04:43AM
This is to hopefully help users at this point, to be able to more effectively utilize the forum's search engine and to free up Tom D. from answering already answered questions/information requests.

Phorum software has a weird way of searching (in my opinion). Example as follows:

Clicking on the 'Advanced' link of the 'Search' icon, type in F-75 or F75, select 'exact phrase', select 'all dates'. And you come up with 'no search results'.
Type in F-75* or F75* (include asterisk) and you get the appropriate search results. Apparently, search terms with a low volume of letters/characters requires the asterisk. However here is the weird part. The term F-75 has 4 characters but Will Not produce search results. F75*, which has 4 characters will produce results. So, what are the minimum number or type of characters required, before having to use the asterisk?
Also, FMall uses the 'Phorum' software, same as Tom's does. They have a 'upload file' icon when creating a new message. Where is ours??

I understand the reason for the asterisk, which is to keep the server from being overloaded by simple one or two character based searches. But at this point, how to correctly do a search for low character search terms, doesn't follow a known defined procedure (my opinion).

Perhaps a sticky in regards to how 'Phorum' institutes searches should be the first sticky, if Tom D. consents to using stickys.

This post is not a complaint, simply a effort to make things easier for Tom D.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 06:32AM by TerraDigger.
Re: Tricky search engine techniques on this forum...
February 10, 2011 05:29AM
I don't remember where I saw this, but I seem to remember that hyphens are seen as a space by some search engines, and the asterisk is seen as a wildcard. Thus, F-75 is seen as F 75, a one-letter word followed by a two-number word. However, F75* is seen as a four character word (sometimes the minimum number of letters allowed for some search engines). Finally, I think that wildcard means that the asterisk can be any letter, number, symbol or even a blank space.
Rogmey..you are correct
February 10, 2011 05:38AM
But alot of users will not realize this when they try to do a search here.....ergo...............the post. Many low character detector models/terms are going to be searched by name........F75, F70, T2, G2, CZ3, VDI etc........hopefully this may assist in providing less frustration and questions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 07:10AM by TerraDigger.
TerraDigger...it seems to me
February 10, 2011 06:11AM
that your bring this subject up is a terrific idea. I'm sure many others can provide forum search techniques that go far beyond my knowledge. There sure are a lot of very knowledgable people who comment on this site, and hopefully your starting this subject will lead to many helpful search engine hints we can all use to mine the wealth of information here, without using Tom's time.

Maybe the search ideas everybody submits can be put in a permanent "Search Help" file on this site, so we can all access it at any time in the future. Anything us regular visitors can do to make searching it more effective serves our whole community.

Thank you for thinking to bring this subject up. It could well turn out to be one of the most helpful ideas anyone could have put forward.
February 10, 2011 09:36AM
I pretty much use google search when after specfic information on forums where the native search does not give me the results I'm after.

It's easy to use once you get the hang of it. simply type your search terms/keywords in the google search bar followed by a space then "site:" then the forums address

Example: F-75 5 inch coil(sp)site:dankowskidetectors.com gives these results

[www.google.com]

If you want to narrow the date range click the advance search button on the displayed page.

another example f-75 "5 inch coil" site:findmall.com

[www.google.com]

In this example putting asterisks around "5 inch coil" give results with that exact term only.

Also the results are from google's cache of the site so newer posts of a few days old may not show up.

Hope this helps

Tom Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 09:53AM by Jackpine.
Tri
February 10, 2011 07:28PM
Just simply be more complete in your search by including the maker of the detector along with the model, "Fisher F-75", etc.

Tri
Tri...........
February 10, 2011 09:40PM
The problem with using a search term like....Fisher F-75.....is that it will bring up 206 posts, but most of them are not related to the F-75. The majority of the resulting posts will be specific to the term 'Fisher' which is not what the user is really looking for. But if a person enters F-75* and uses the other parameters I outlined in my original post, the user gets more specific posts that have F-75 in them. It saves having to wade though 206 posts. Just my opinion on a more effective search technique.
Tri
February 10, 2011 11:08PM
I have not tried the asterisk thing , however I do believe that if ALL of us who post would be more specific in the title of our post instead of putting inane titles such as "hey guess what" , we also might be more pleased with our search results. I also posted about this very thing last year. It may be helpful. [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Tri
"hey guess what"............lol
February 10, 2011 11:24PM
That was funny.........
Re: "hey guess what"............lol
February 11, 2011 03:23AM
THANK YOU

THANK YOU!!!!
Re: Tom Z your approach is very cool.
February 12, 2011 03:04PM
I was unaware one could do that, so thank you for that really helpful tip.

By the way, in the second to last sentence of your post where you say: asterisks around "5 inch coil", I assume you meant to say quotation marks around "5 inch coil"?
Re: Tom Z your approach is very cool.
February 23, 2011 05:39AM
tnanks very helpful:probally shouldnt have done that as now the knowledge is going to flow! WATCH your tail feathers
February 23, 2011 06:22AM
Good post and great idea. That is going to help all of us. Thank you Terradigger. John
September 27, 2012 02:25PM
thanx 2 Terra and Jackpine and of course Nasa Tom and Wild Wally keep on keeping on HH rr7
September 27, 2012 03:45PM
Thanks for the info. much appreciated.
September 27, 2012 10:16PM
Another forum I use has a hilarious 'filter' in it's search function that ignores common words. Example :search for 'gold silver' produces the message: '"The following common words have been ignored in your search - gold silver". Fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 10:18PM by Pimento.
September 28, 2012 02:22PM
Heck I do it the easy way no matter what I am searching for.....Just ask the missus and voila all the info I need..

Guess there are people that use computers and well knowlegable people who use computers...Still nice to kick around but aint going to fix what broke as it saves me time and aggravation...
July 16, 2013 10:40PM
Thought I would bring this useful post for any new member's and to try and drop the spammers!