Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ever detect something under a cow pile??

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ever detect something under a cow pile??
January 17, 2017 03:11AM
Did you dig??
Re: Ever detect something under a cow pile??
January 17, 2017 03:19AM
Not yet.

Found lots of clad under dog poop. I get excited when I see dog poop cause I know if another detectorist got a signal there, theres fair odds he left the treasure for me!
January 17, 2017 03:32AM
No, but I did under a dog dump. Fortunately it was not fresh.
Ended up being a clad dime. Arrrrgh!

Aaron
January 17, 2017 03:42AM
I dig some nonferrous out of the middle of cow pile once,,,cow must have ingested.
Insignificant find btw.
January 17, 2017 04:54AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you dig??

No---but I would have if I got a good signal.smiling smiley------Dug plenty of targets under dog poop though!-------Why oh why does all the best targets come from either under dog crap piles or in the midst of a bunch of fire ants????confused smiley
January 17, 2017 05:17AM
Fire ants,,,,,

A little story.

Back in 1991,,,I was in Saudia Arabia,,myself and 2 gents were working on an aircraft at nighttime. We all of a sudden got an alarm red warning for SCud missile attack. We jumped off the aircraft donned our chemical warfare gear and crawled under a culvert under one of the runway taxiways.

We were in there for a while waiting for the all clear signal.

Well,,after a few minutes the younger service member of the team,,,jumped out and was jumping up,and down,,,,said something was biting him,,,,he started to proceed to get his chemical warfare suit off,,and fast.

Turns out the trooper had crawled into a pile of BIG ants,,and they were working on him in short order.

I saw this gent for the last time 12 years later when I was departing UK.

And then later read this gent was killed in an aircraft maintenance mishap in Charelston AFB SC.

He was super individual.

Oh the memories.
January 17, 2017 11:36AM
I was in a park field yesterday that is just COVERED in deer poop. It was also a bit slimy just due to the somewhat frozen ground melting so nicely in the sunlight....needless to say they went in the wash solo as soon as I got home andrinsing them off beforehand.
January 17, 2017 11:55AM
Haha, when I saw the title to this thread I couldn't help laugh. A buddy and I were hunting this old homestead with pasture attached to it that was still in use by farmers that had cows on it. We were walking down the cow trail to get to the homestead and there was a big pile right on the trail still steaming. My buddy with his Tejon had run it over the pile as he stepped over it got a hit , turned around to me and asked me to check the hit and see what I thought. I swung my Deus over it and went ooh.lol. told him if I had to guess probably an Indian head. He said hell with it I'm digging.
Down under that massive pile of steaming, smelly cow pie was a rifle cartridge.lol
January 17, 2017 05:33PM
Yep...my wife found a silver quarter under a dry cow chip many years ago. (She was glad it was a dry one. eye popping smiley)

One of my best finds wasn't even dug by me but was dug by a gopher. In a pile of fresh gopher dirt I found a nice 1853 half dime. The gopher dug it up because I've hunted that very spot many times before and never got a dig-gable signal. The place is loaded with square nails.
January 17, 2017 07:17PM
"You will receive signals from fresh cow dung due to the high amounts of Iron present.
So, if you do get signals from cow piles it's probably a false alarm?"
January 17, 2017 07:21PM
Des D Wrote:
> "You will receive signals from fresh cow du
> ng due to the high amounts of Iron present.
> So, if you do get signals from cow piles it
> 's probably a false alarm?"

Thanks Des. Now I have to go test this new info.
January 17, 2017 07:43PM
Even a bit worse....i have one field (the one Ozzie chased a skunk off of. he has had a rough skunk year) that has seen ALOT of cow remains dumped over the years at some point. I keep digging those cow magnets left and right...cow ear tags as well. If i was a skweamish type holding all those magnets that used to be in a cow stomach...

I needed a magnet in an emergency due to a bolt falling into a toilets internal drain system....used one of those "used" cow magnets to get it out with a string....my wife asked me how come I happened to have a magnet strong enough to get it....didnt tell her where i got it from. she probly wouldnt let her or the kids use that one anymore.
January 17, 2017 07:50PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "You will receive signals from fresh cow
> du
> > ng due to the high amounts of Iron present.
> > So, if you do get signals from cow piles
> it
> > 's probably a false alarm?"
>
>
> Thanks Des. Now I have to go test this new info.

NB: The older technology of 'non-motion' Induction Balance systems were best at this.

I have been trying to coax signals from cow dung from new technology and can't recall any 'New Motion' machines that did? Of course you could try in 'All-Metal'?
January 17, 2017 10:34PM
Rod spilled the beans, so to speak on cow magnets. Its nothing to be squeamish about. The world is awash in bacteria and much of the dirt we dig in was 'critter dirt' sometime in the past. No ... kidding!
I keep a small hand cleaner dispenser in the car for those times when I am not feeling fresh or expect to have contact with someone I like.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 17, 2017 10:53PM
I suppose if you were to dig under a cow pile you couldn't say that you didn't find crap.
January 17, 2017 11:37PM
Good one there.....
January 17, 2017 11:48PM
No,but back in 75-76 I did eat some mushrooms that were growing in them,quite a magical experience.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
January 18, 2017 03:31AM
Several of the newer high frequency vlf relic machines/gold machines will signal on fresh cow piles as well as your hands. Dug a number of good CW relics and a seated half dime from under cow piles over the years.
January 18, 2017 06:24PM
Yes I've recovered minie balls under cow pattys. Most were hard lol. Kick them to the side & dig. I just hunted a cow pasture the last time out. It was full of them & heffers. They're curious things.
January 18, 2017 10:29PM
One of my adventures you may enjoy?
[www.youtube.com]
January 18, 2017 10:47PM
Some nice three ringer mini balls in a Virginia farm field. My son and I had driven east through some heavy snow, for a civil war show. We stopped and asked to hunt near the river, hoping for some campsite relics. We only found bullets, but while we were hunting, the cows all came up and licked the salt off the car. Actually it was kinda gross as the windshield was covered with cow saliva which the wipers did not clean off very well. We got some water to clean that up and had a laugh afterwards. Until we got back to the car, we had no idea why the cows were around the car. grinning smiley
January 19, 2017 12:16AM
Hello Everyone.......Years ago while using a Fisher 1265 detector I found out the hard way that it would give a good signal on a cow pile.
I mean it would be a good "dig me signal". Once you removed the pile you'd find that signal was gone! This would also happen when using a Fisher 1266.
Those two were the only detectors that I've really had that problems with cow piles.
H.H.....jerryinin
January 19, 2017 12:59PM
jerryinin Wrote:
> Hello Everyone.......Years ago while using a Fishe
> r 1265 detector I found out the hard way that it w
> ould give a good signal on a cow pile.
> I mean it would be a good "dig me signal". Once
> you removed the pile you'd find that signal was go
> ne! This would also happen when using a Fisher 1
> 266.
> Those two were the only detectors that I've really
> had that problems with cow piles.
> H.H.....jerryinin

My 1266 would false like crazy on what we call a cow pie. Some years back while hunting a pasture I got a nice signal over one down by a corn crib. Called my buddy over to check it out with his machine. He grinned and said that's what you call a crappy signal. I scooped it up with my shovel dug down 4 or 5 inches and pulled out a 1936 half dollar and 2 buffalo nickels. Ain't been able to pass up a cow pie since.
January 19, 2017 01:24PM
I'll never ever will swing my search coil close to a fire ant hill again. One time recovering a coin near one did it for me. I don't want to be even tempted.

tabman
January 19, 2017 01:42PM
At one of the first organized relic hunts I ever went on, there was a bad prank played on someone. Word got around that someone had dug a nice relic out of someone's dig hole...and thus EVERYBODY that heard about it was going around swinging their coils over where other people had dug holes. One guy got a sweet signal over top of someone's dig hole...and dug it back up. Only to find a modern coin that had been thrown down in the hole, with human crap down in the hole with it. Yes...someone had dug a hole, took a crap in it, and threw a coin down in the hole with it, and covered it back up hoping that someone would come along and dig that signal. They did...and I remember at the show/tell after the hunt, the individual was still highly ticked off and trying to find out who done it as to have a word with them. This was back before pinpointers became popular and most people were still just grabbing clumps of dirt with their hands and running it past the coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2017 01:44PM by Daniel Tn.
January 19, 2017 01:42PM
tabman Wrote:
> I'll never ever will swing my search coil close to
> a fire ant hill again. One time recovering a coin
> near one did it for me. I don't want to be even te
> mpted.
>
> tabman

Just dig quick & do PLENTY of stomping & brushing!-----Works for me!grinning smiley-----Sidenote: I still get tired of being stung by those little buggars though!!winking smiley
January 19, 2017 11:01PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> At one of the first organized relic hunts I ever w
> ent on, there was a bad prank played on someone.
> Word got around that someone had dug a nice relic
> out of someone's dig hole...and thus EVERYBODY tha
> t heard about it was going around swinging their c
> oils over where other people had dug holes. One g
> uy got a sweet signal over top of someone's dig ho
> le...and dug it back up. Only to find a modern co
> in that had been thrown down in the hole, with hum
> an crap down in the hole with it. Yes...someone h
> ad dug a hole, took a crap in it, and threw a coin
> down in the hole with it, and covered it back up h
> oping that someone would come along and dig that s
> ignal. They did...and I remember at the show/tell
> after the hunt, the individual was still highly ti
> cked off and trying to find out who done it as to
> have a word with them. This was back before pinpo
> inters became popular and most people were still j
> ust grabbing clumps of dirt with their hands and r
> unning it past the coil.
Oh boy I bet that person had fire in his eyes.
January 30, 2017 12:37PM
I Was able to uncover a nice silver thimble
[www.youtube.com]