Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cleaning silver rings

Posted by Flintstone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cleaning silver rings
January 23, 2017 03:43AM
Hi all, I got two silver rings at a lake yesterday and both are very dark. What do I clean them with to make them shine? Thanks
Re: Cleaning silver rings
January 23, 2017 03:53AM
I clean up silver rings by rubbing them with a thick paste of baking soda and water.
Not sure if it will cut through dark black tarnish but it's worth a try if you don't have any silver cleaner around the house.
Bryan
January 23, 2017 04:05AM
X 2 on the baking soda/water paste. Has worked for me. HH jim tn
January 23, 2017 04:56PM
I have use this method for severely tarnished silver.
Line a bowl with aluminum foil shiny side up. put your silver items in the boil. Boil some vinegar on the stove, enough to cover all silver in the bowl. once boiling, pour into bowl. add a couple spoonfulls of salt and stir. repeat if necessary replacing foil with every run. after I pull them out and rinse, I remove whatever is left by rubbing with pink rubber pencil eraser. Worked for me. May be easier methods but I used this method on a large link silver chain that would have taken way too long trying to tackle by hand.
January 23, 2017 07:44PM
On rings that can be cleaned by hand easily some silver polish or some baking soda paste does a good job.
On items that can't easily be cleaned by hand, and this ring was one of mine, science works much better.
This was found in the bank of an old fishing pond, because of the dampness it was sitting in for decades it tarnished to black...I was shocked when I saw a 925 mark on the thing.
No way could I have gotten into all the nooks and crannies hand polishing so I did something similar to the vinegar recipe posted above but I always use a recipe of salt, baking soda or baking powder and water in a small pan brought to boil with that same piece of aluminum foil in the bottom.
Just a few seconds sitting on and turning it over a few times on the foil will draw out all the tarnish from the silver object to the foil.
Still need to buff a bit because silver does not come out shiny but it will be cleaned.

Works great...I couldn't have cleaned this nice looking ring with all those marcasite stones mounted all the way around any better any other way.

January 24, 2017 02:59AM
Thanks all I will try it. One of the rings is like yours diggwr27, has a lot of little holes in it. I will give it a try and let you all know how I did. Thanks