Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New V3i user, thoughts so far

Posted by coinhunterseth 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New V3i user, thoughts so far
February 05, 2017 02:22AM
I've been wanting a v3i for many years now, and was able to finally buy one in early January. I haven't used it too much, but I think I am getting the hang of it. So far I have only used it relic hunting, where it seems a definite improvement over my AT Pro, except in high iron areas.
The true all metal mode is awesome, I can't believe how much better it seems for relic hunting. The three frequency pinpoint is also amazing, it helps so much for probable target id. The only thing I do not like so far is the lack of good modulated audio in disc mode. In the all metal mode, I feel very comfortable because the audio is modulated and I can get most of the info I could get from the proportional audio on my AT Pro. On the AT, most of my decision to dig or not came from audio, so the lack of it on the V3i is rather hard to get used to. The all metal mode thankfully is modulated which is why I currently prefer it to disc mode. I do think I will adjust to the lack of modulated audio, and in any case I still have my AT if I want to use it.
So far I have found a good many civil war relics, some flat buttons, an 1864 Indian head cent, and a piece of cut silver so I'm doing quite well with it. I'll probably post pictures sometime in the next few days.
Also, I've read that many people give up on the v3i because it has way too many settings. I actually found it to have less than I expected. Though mainly I don't even use most of them. Overall I'm quite pleased with the V3i.
Seth
Re: New V3i user, thoughts so far
February 05, 2017 02:26AM
Sounds Great!!

the V3i does have alot of potential ..tons of coils and lot of settings to tweak..

Cant wait to see the Relics and the 64 fatty!!

Keit

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 05, 2017 02:28AM
Seth....in mixed mode..the all metal side...is that audio modulated ?

If I remember you can run mixed mode in discriminate.

Had a V3i...liked it but to be honest, never gave it a fair shake. Sold it off I bet a bit too quickly. May have to get another and use it more and learn it. Guys who have it a learn it say they love the unit.
February 05, 2017 02:43AM
Never cared for the v3! In my dirt it didnt cut it for relic hunting

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 05, 2017 02:54AM
The V3i is easy to program and the Mixed Mode Stereo is great on relics .
February 05, 2017 03:00AM
Glad you are liking your unit.

There are ways (settings) to make the unit do better in high iron and nail areas.

Mixed mode is really where it is at with that detector IMO.

Look forward to hearing more reports as you progress.
February 05, 2017 03:26AM
I would put some pictures on this post, but I can't find the attach image option. Some help would be appreciated. The Indian is actually embarrassing for me to post because I RUINED it cleaning it. I've been kicking myself in the rear ever since, and it doesn't help that the reverse is significantly rotated away from the obverse.
Yes, in mixed mode the all metal channel is modulated and VCO. However, I don't really like it. I see no advantage over just using the all metal side and watching the vdi numbers. As far as iron performance goes i intend to purchase the 4x6 coil to improve it, but I also am going to buy a nel snake for my ATP which may very well still outperform it.
February 05, 2017 03:31AM
Load your pics to photobucket

Open your pic,,,look over to the right,,,you will see IMG file,,click on it,,,if using PC it will turn yellow I think and say copied.
If using iPad,,,click on the box of info labeled IMG,,,,,may take a few clicks,,menu will come up,,select (select all),,,then copy,,,and paste your in your post here.

You can do a post preview here,,,,and see if your pic loaded,,,before you post.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 03:48AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 05, 2017 05:50PM
Seth,
I had to do a double take when you said the V3i doesn't have modulated audio.

The V3i has modulated audio and you can select how much modulation you want. Look at page 49 of your operating manual.

HH
Mike
February 05, 2017 06:00PM
Second person to say that. I said good modulated audio. The modulation on the V3i does not give me info on target size/shape/composition(flat iron), or give a "round" sound on coins. That's what I mean. On the ATP I can do that by audio.
February 05, 2017 06:33PM
Sorry, Seth, that is not the definition of "modulation". You are talking Garrett's 'Tone Roll Audio'.

The V3i does that type of identification in the visual presentations.

HH
Mike
February 05, 2017 07:40PM
Yes, that is what I meant. but I did think it was just a form of modulation. And the visual presentations are pretty awesome; I just need to get used to them.
February 05, 2017 08:01PM
I had the V3 years ago and most coils I had for the DFX would not work on the V3. The V3 would kill batteries real fast, especially if you used boost on it
February 05, 2017 08:03PM
Yes, I'm not really a fan of the V3i discrimination channel audio either. It's too digital and laggy, probably in an attempt to keep it quieter and easier to interpret for less experienced users. It Really needs hotter, sparkier, "blendier" disc audio. Less processing of the audio would speed up the response too. And like several posters have said, it *does* have modulated disc audio, just not that well implemented. Until White's addresses this with a firmware update (hint White's!), mixed mode is the only way to go with the V3i. The MXT has good communicative audio, so White's does know how to do it right.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 08:10PM by wayfarer.
Re: New V3i user, thoughts so far (short modulation Video)
February 05, 2017 08:32PM
Modulation is when used in Detector terms is referred to as depth perception..

so in other words shallow is louder and deep is softer further away sounding..

the most common type Modulation will often be seen in threshold based all metal mode and easiest to see ..

I did a small video here to maybe help ??

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2017 08:33PM by Keith Southern.
February 06, 2017 02:41PM
It is different when you are basically the design engineer and get to build the detector the way you want it. You have presets to start with that will get you going but after that its all you. Find a preset that has the audio you like and build from there. Really, that is the beauty of the V3. It becomes your detector'. But its not for everyone, even me at times.

However, I can't see a treasure hunter being without a V3.

HH
Mike
February 08, 2017 02:46AM
Seth
Enjoy the V3i,it is a pretty good machine. Great relic machine and deep.
Important to ground balance the V over a clean piece of ground. Push the PP trigger in and move coil around untill you get the number"13" Now GB over this spot.
HH
Corey