Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New detector from Tesoro

Posted by liaso 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New detector from Tesoro
February 11, 2017 08:50PM
tabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Del, the Mojave works great! [www.treasu]
> renet.com/forums/today-s-finds/530328-tesoro-mojav
> e-first-hunt-detector.html
>
> tabman

Thanks for the link Gerald, after reading your thoughts on the Mojave I am going to get one for myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 08:51PM by SkiWhiz.
February 12, 2017 11:40AM
Think of the Tesoro Mojave as a Compadre and Silver µMax rolled into one but much better.

Tesoro hit a home run with this detector! Everyone should have a Mojave in their detector arsenal.

tabman
February 12, 2017 12:43PM
The new Mojave from Tesoro may be a big hit sales wise across the pond but i doubt that only a handful will ever be sold here in the UK,sales of new Tesoro detectors in recent years here are very few and far between,the UK branding of Tesoro which is called 'Laser' once again sales are possibly just a little more than the Tesoro offering.A few of the old timers who have used Tesoro machines years ago may buy the odd one mainly for posterity purposes,but sales certainly wont be stellar,please not i am not knocking the brand or even this new Mojave model,but UK or even European detectorist just dont use them,when one compares the offerings from say XP then detectorist will pick other brands every time over a Tesoro,they may produce detectors for the US detecting needs but they just basically dont produce machines for our style of detecting.

Of course i wish all the new owners or folks that have placed orders for this new machine are very happy using them,but alas its not for me,i do own a UK version of the Vaquero and it does the job that i bought it for fine,but it will be the last one that i buy i am afraid.
February 12, 2017 05:23PM
I know I'm a little late to this conversation thread, but want to put in my .02c :

I agree with everyone here, that this "Mojave" doesn't seem to be doing anything that prior Tesoro's can't already do. They have their place in arsenals for certain types hunting, sure. But this is nothing new, in ability, that's not already on the market.

But what REALLY ticked me off, in the guy's Youtube video, was his video #5 : Where he tries to insinuate that this machine is going to be able to tell aluminum apart from gold, while getting fooled by relatively lesser amounts of aluminum. Even gives "70 to 80%" ability to pass aluminum junk in favor of gold with this, if you learn the sounds properly. Pity the poor newbie who falls for this nonsense, and goes to junky blighted parks thinking he's going to "learn the tones" and get gold items while leaving most aluminum behind. Hey, how can you argue with a "dealer" after all, who must have "ascended" to this skill level, right ? Utter nonsense. And I've seen newbies who visit these 2 dealers, and come away believing it. Yet .... oddly .... no one (not even the dealers) can demonstrate this supposed ability in junky blighted parks. At least not that don't ultimately result in nothing more than random chance, or simple notching trick.

And let's be brutally honest: If there's going to be ANY argument in favor of trying to guess aluminum vs gold, then it's NOT going to be in favor of a monotone beep-&-dig machine, lacking any tones, TID's, etc..... These insinuations/claims in the video are just a shame. A discussion of it on this thread: [www.findmall.com] I even contacted the dealer who made the video, asking him to please answer this critique I'd offered. All he would say is "I don't do blogs or forums". So the nonsense just floats out there un-answered by those making these claims.
February 12, 2017 07:29PM
It's called thumbing. I'm a digger and not a thumber, but I know that it works.

digger27:

Everyone is different, everyone learns to hunt with their tools a different way that makes it fun for them.
At first I used to literally dig it all, the best way to learn the fastest, but over time I changed and no longer do that for several reasons with any detector but that is me and I'm fine with it.
Still find a ton of great treasure despite that.
I love the start low, thumb up and then back down to listen for solid tones that just come in method, I dug carloads of trash before I got confident in this method, others set the disc and dig everything that beeps above it.
I could never do that but many do.
The bottom line is having the most fun and figuring out ways to accomplish that.
February 12, 2017 08:07PM
I have used Tesoro detectors since 93. Yes the thumbing method works if you want to cut down on the amount of trash you want to dig. When I use the Mojave or Compadre I just set the disk and dig all solid repeatables. The trash to treasure ratio doing it this way is about 60 to 40 for me. If I want to just dig couns though I can pretty much tell just by the sound if it's round or not. If I am going to go hunting for gold though I pretty much use a Tesoro most the time cause they seem to work the best in park scenarios for gold ring hunting etc. Take it foe what it is, but the Mojave was made for this type of hunting and I'm glad they made it.
February 12, 2017 09:15PM
Thumbing is a waste of time when you could have probed and popped the target out and look at what you found...........LOL
February 12, 2017 10:19PM
Boy do I feel lucky that I got my Mojave when I did, just about all them have been spoken for and people are now starting to be put on a back order list to get one. It could be months before the next factory run of Mojave detectors. After reading the specs it didn't take me long before I was on the phone with Rusty ordering one. I'm thrilled with my purchase, it's one hot little detector.

tabman
February 12, 2017 10:49PM
Yeah I'm glad we called Rusty that day to Gerald. I am itching to try this on some homesteads when it gets warmer.
February 12, 2017 11:05PM
tabman Wrote:
> Boy do I feel lucky that I got my Mojave when I di
> d, just about all them have been spoken for and pe
> ople are now starting to be put on a back order li
> st to get one. It could be months before the next
> factory run of Mojave detectors. After reading the
> specs it didn't take me long before I was on the p
> hone with Rusty ordering one. I'm thrilled with m
> y purchase, it's one hot little detector.
>
> tabman

Tabman...I knew you were going to like that unit. I was going to grab one up just for that 7 inch coil. I love that size on the Tesoro's. Guess I gotta wait a bit to get one but it sure looks like a winner for the price.
February 13, 2017 04:57AM
It took that long to make that?
February 13, 2017 12:08PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> It took that long to make that?

Sometimes it takes awhile to make a 'classic', but it's even harder to make something better than a classic.

Just about everyone loves the Compadre and it is a 'classic'. My very first detector was a Compadre and I used it extensively for a year before buying my second detector. I love my Compadre, but after actually using the Mojave, I can boldly state without any doubt whatsoever that it's way better than the Compadre. Not by just a little either! I'm talking big time.

tabman
February 14, 2017 06:09PM
After I read the Title I thought the Cazador was finally out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 06:10PM by GreenMeanie.
February 15, 2017 10:02PM
Since I didn't get to go detecting today I thought I'd do a video. First off let me tip my hat to those guys you do a lot of videos. It's super hard to watch the screen and also keep an eye on the target. Add to that I don't know how to pause or edit. I'm lucky that I didn't fall down and hurt myself. I couldn't see the screen on the Fors Relic but here are the settings: Di3, Sens 99, Iron Volume 5, Tone Break 75 and in case you couldn't see I had the AT Pro in the Pro Zero mode.

These are some of my favorite detectors and I've found a lot of good stuff with each one. However, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll be grabbing the Tesoro Mojave when I'm working at a site that has a lot of nails. Enjoy!

VIDEO

tabman
February 15, 2017 10:31PM
tabman Wrote:
> Since I didn't get to go detecting today I thought
> I'd do a video. First off let me tip my hat to tho
> se guys you do a lot of videos. It's super hard to
> watch the screen and also keep an eye on the targe
> t. Add to that I don't know how to pause or edit.
> I'm lucky that I didn't fall down and hurt myself.
> I couldn't see the screen on the Fors Relic but he
> re are the settings: Di3, Sens 99, Iron Volume 5,
> Tone Break 75 and in case you couldn't see I had t
> he AT Pro in the Pro Zero mode.
>
> These are some of my favorite detectors and I've f
> ound a lot of good stuff with each one. However, t
> here's no doubt in my mind that I'll be grabbing t
> he Tesoro Mojave when I'm working at a site that h
> as a lot of nails. Enjoy!
>
> V
> IDEO

>
> tabman

Man, at least make it a half way fair test.-----Put comparable size coils as the Mojave has on the other detectors tested (even if they are Conc. & DD mixed).
February 15, 2017 11:14PM
Del, just for you I went out and tried the same test again using the 5 inch search coils on the F75 & Fors Relic and I got the same results. I even tried using a single tone setting on the F75 and used just enough discrimination to discriminate out the nails and got the same results. Sorry.

tabman
February 16, 2017 12:49AM
tabman Wrote:
> Del, just for you I went out and tried the same te
> st again using the 5 inch search coils on the F75
> & Fors Relic and I got the same results. I even tr
> ied using a single tone setting on the F75 and use
> d just enough discrimination to discriminate out t
> he nails and got the same results. Sorry.
>
> tabman

Thanks Gerald--you've made me a happy man!!! grinning smiley-----Wonder how that Mojave would act/perform with the 5.75 concentric coil on it?-----There's just no pleasing me is there. winking smiley-----------Del
February 16, 2017 01:11AM
Des D Wrote:
> Like I said, it'll be a good-un!
> But, what I'd really like to see is a New Top of t
> he Line 'flagship' model, the "Sonora"
>
> (wish based solely on their use of a desert to nam
> e their new product)
> Not many deserts in the USA
> Mojave
> Sonora
> ...........and the Chihuahua!!!!! :~)

Maybe its an lndian , not a desert.
February 16, 2017 01:47AM
Hobo Wrote:
>
> Maybe its an lndian , not a desert.

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. That explains the arrowhead on the control box. That little Indian can hunt!

tabman
February 16, 2017 08:48AM
Hombre Wrote:
> supertraq Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A switch for high or low ground mineralization?
> So
> > much for fine tuning.
>
>
> Don't knock it if ya haven't tried it, it might ju
> st be a very good tool for a newbie to the sport.
> It can't count how many times I have talked somebo
> dy through a manual ground balanced machine.
In also may become another useful tool in my quest to pull colonial coins and artifacts out of a blanket of square nails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 08:57AM by woodchiphustler.
February 16, 2017 12:39PM
Would it surprise anyone if the Tesoro Mojave outsells and becomes more poplar than the Silver Sabre µMax and the Bandido II µMax? That's a high hurdle to jump.smiling smiley

tabman
February 16, 2017 04:38PM
It surprises me anything sells that isn't multi tone now a days.
February 18, 2017 09:14PM
"Thumbing", isn't a waste of time!
It's the best way to run Tesoro' micro max models.

We look for more Low to Medium conductors in the UK compared to high conductive silver coins in the USA
So it helps a lot to 'thumb' and listen to when/where an audio signal begins 'to drop out/off/cease altogether.

I'm really wondering how the '.Mojave' will react to coke/hot rocks?
At least three of my best sites are covered with these.

I'm looking forward to getting mine and would hope to get a first look/use video up by next weekend???

Now, I'm hoping my friendly farmer doesn't plow my test site - Diary from Feb 9, 2016 shows plowing began!!!!

Des D