Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

railroad reporting marks (now confed camp finds)

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
railroad reporting marks (now confed camp finds)
February 08, 2017 03:41PM
I have found a couple of railroad baggage seals over the past couple months in a confederate camp I have been detecting. Both have the letters P A L on one face and I've been stuck as to what those letters mean.
Today, I think I found the answer. I was searching the toob for some kind of guide to railroad baggage seals. These are also called lead seals and bale seals. One place I looked mentioned the term "railroad reporting marks," so I extended my search and found this: [www.pwrr.org]

And there, I found this:
PAL = Piedmont Air Line of the Richmond and Danville RR

The Richmond & Danville Railroad, chartered in Virginia in 1847, opened a 140-mile rail line between the two cities of its name in 1856. A 48-mile extension from Danville to Greensborough, NC, was completed during the U.W.(sic) Civil War - known at that time as the Piedmont Railroad.

Perhaps others here will find the listing of railroad reporting marks helpful.

Here are two photos showing the baggage seal.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2017 12:15AM by ncwayne.
Re: railroad reporting marks
February 08, 2017 03:48PM
OUTstanding finds ncwayne!

Those block I's and that little silver looking buckle are nice -- I think I see a log cabin button in the mix and the lead seals are icing on the cake and might be rare ones?

Nice to see you back posting again too thumbs down
February 08, 2017 04:28PM
Looks like your on a good site!

A friend and I found dozens of old lead railroad seals in a Nevada ghost town, now the ghost town is so picked over, if we just land one seal, we're happy thumbs down
February 08, 2017 08:12PM
Great info on the lead Seals Wayne..

Dream site your on!!

Don't tease us though Show what ELSE you have found in there!!!

Nice Cast I's and Nice Log cabin ..sort of a rare version to boot..that Little solid Silver buckle is cool ...especially the Markwinking smiley

See a piece of a enfield brass trigger guard too..

Good to see you posting again!!

Dont stop give us seconds!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Blame Keith <g>
February 09, 2017 12:07AM
Keith asked for this, so blame him and not me, ok?

Thanks for the kind words, Keith!

Finding and detecting this camp may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and experience. And then it could happen again. I've enjoyed using several of my detector and coil combinations in the camp. They include the AT Pro, MX Sport, Nokta Relic, Makro Racer, Fisher F75SE, XP Deus, and the Minelab GPX 4800. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I've enjoyed using them all. Most of the time. There have been occasions of aggravation with each, as well. That's detecting.
The biggest take-away from hunting this camp, aside from the wonderful finds, has been the learning that has come from having the opportunity to bear down and try different things to eke one more button, one more bullet, one more coin, one more of anything out of the ground here. You would not believe the big and small iron and other trash items we have cleaned out of this site, so far, and we still have much more to sort through.
Each picture represents a "day" of detecting, usually a 4 to 7 hour period.Thanks for looking.

This is a group shot of the confederate buttons I've found in the camp so far. It includes the Jacksonian button "bird in flight" and the 1840s Wm Henry Harrison campaign button "log cabin." It also includes two matching "clog hasp" silver shoe buckles. They have an Old English F maker's mark on the back of them.

These are the confed buttons my digging partner has found in the camp.

This last pic is one of my digging partner's finds from our camp.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 09, 2017 12:17AM
Holy CRAP!!!!!!!!

Buttons buttons buttons!

Gotta be a few THOUSAND $$ worth alone!!!

BEST FINDS post I've seen here in a LONG time thumbs down

Congrats Wayne
WOOOO give someone a little heads up first...
February 09, 2017 12:21AM
Luckily I was sitting down..

You are on one more Site there!!!

All I can say is I'm Still in AWE of your finds..

Sites like that are rare...and you have a few rare buttons in what's already rare buttons ...

Really am envious of your fortune...

And sites like that will make you really really LEARN HOW TO HUNT..why??-------Because you want every bit of the HISTORY to be SAVED!!

On a site like that you will learn more about Hunting in 6 months than you would in a decade just hunting ....The PASSION of the Site will FUEL your brain and BODY into overtime ..

Way to go!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Blame Keith <g>
February 09, 2017 12:45AM
Amazing, simply amazing!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: railroad reporting marks (now confed camp finds)
February 09, 2017 03:05AM
Good Golly Man!!!
February 09, 2017 09:03AM
Welcome back!! And now you can drop the mic as you walk off stage. Haha. Killer finds! Congrats.
February 09, 2017 02:28PM
Stunning.....and priceless!
February 09, 2017 03:41PM
Very nice collection of confederate relics...that spot deserves some serious sifting.
February 09, 2017 04:36PM
Holy smokes!!!!!!
Sweet saves,congrats
HH
Corey
February 09, 2017 04:46PM
WOW!........JUST WOW!!!!
February 09, 2017 06:05PM
Totally Awesome! Hope you find a ton more.

John
February 09, 2017 06:10PM
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.