Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

FORS Relic versus Teknetics T2 Classic

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
FORS Relic versus Teknetics T2 Classic
February 13, 2017 03:09AM
Thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion if anyone cares to participate.-----Both these two detectors can use the same size coils (11" & 5" DD's).-----Monte used to own/use the T2 but has moved on to the Relic (apparently now preferring it over the T2).------Keith has owned/used both these detectors but (when asked) now says he prefers the T2 Classic.------Having said all this-----What are the "stand out" differences in performance of these two detectors? (one over the other)-----Or is there even actually much difference at all in basic performance of the two?------In other words---I think we all know they are both excellent detectors--that's a given----but--what are the "blood & guts" difference(s) in PERFORMANCE of these two???-----Fire away, ALL opinions welcome!smiling smiley---------------BTW---Sorry for no paragraphs Mike---I was a speed typist in school & the military & this is the (crummy) way I have evolved into with my typing in my old age---fast, to the point, (AND CRUMMY) winking smiley---------Del
Re: FORS Relic versus Teknetics T2 Classic
February 13, 2017 03:43AM
One thing the Relic is a lot noisier in iron than the T2. One of the reasons I don't have the Relic anymore.

Rick

====================================
Detectors I have:
Deeptech Warrior
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Gold
White's SurfMaster II vlf
Fisher 1236x2
February 13, 2017 04:04AM
Depends on what you're looking for and where Del - as to "difference" in performance

if you want/are looking for small/er type stuff (nuggets, cuff buttons, small/thin coins, thin gold jewelry, etc) in a sea of iron and/or mineralized dirt = the FR is a better choice. If you want mid to larger size type stuff (dime size coins on up, coat buttons/larger, or buckles, etc) in a mixed era type site with aluminum/iron and/or in a bit more mild dirt = T2

you don't take a FR to a mixed/multi era site unless you wanna go nuts and slam it against a tree the same as these days with higher freq. rigs as they are = you don't take a T2 to highly mineralized red dirt carpet of nails type sites looking for small cuff buttons/silver .03 centers, nuggets, small/thin jewelry and the like (used to before the F19, Deus, Racers, Cores, FR, etc) because that's all there was - and/but - will each one (T2/FR) work in and for all of the above mentioned? Yes but each one is better suited for one VS the other type sites/targets/situations and vise/versa now days.

A good choice is to own both or a similar type combo of units so you can cover all the bases in the best possible way (or in other words) use the tool needed and best suited for the job at hand!
February 13, 2017 07:08AM
I really like my T2 Classic in red mineralized clay dirt and it will find the goods in a iron and nail infested site. I don't know what a FR would find that my T2 won't find its a heck of a machine with the stock coil but the magic happens when you put a NEL Sharpshooter Coil on it that turns this machine into what I would call a iron sniper machine it will pick the goods out of the thickest iron with ease. In my dirt which is basically 3-4 bar dirt the stock coil will hit a 10" dime with a quick sweep speed. The only other machine that has hit this dime is a Etrac with Pro Coil attached. I have went back to spots that I had hammered with a F-19 and AT-PRO and AT-GOLD and the T2 Classic with NEL Sharpshooter Coil attached found quite a few more coins and relics that I wouldn't have ever dreamed the other machines had missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 07:17AM by 88junior.
February 13, 2017 10:34AM
D&P-OR
Nokta FORS Relic versus Teknetics T2 Classic .. confused smiley .. Thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion if anyone cares to participate.
Yes, it is the start of an interesting topic, and I'll gladly join the discussion. I have a bias of sorts because I personally feel all of the models I will discuss are some of the best on the market today for serious Relic Hunters that can also pull duty for many devoted and diverse-site Coin Hunters. However, I honestly think we need to compare apples to apples before we bring in the peaches for a comparison.

Let me first start with the 1st 'apple' which is the Teknetics T2. A model that was introduced about 2006, eleven years ago, and operates at 13 kHz. The T2 has a rear-mounted battery system and is powered by 4-AA batteries. The Headphone Jack is rear-positioned. It employs an Automated Ground Balance (also called Fast-Grab or Ground-Grab), and also allows for Manual GB by the operator. The 1-99 numeric TID uses a default '40' as the break point between Ferrous and Non-Ferrous targets.

It features an All Metal search mode, and a Discriminate mode. In the Discriminate mode you have several Tone ID options, such as 1-Tone, 1+ which is VCO, 2+ which is a Low-Tone with a VCO enhanced High-Tone, 3-Tone w/a Low-Tone for iron, and a Mid-Tone and High-Tone, 3B for Bottle Cap, 4-Tone and dP which is a 99-Tone assignment for each TID numeric VDI. The standard search coil, called an 11" BiAxial is a Double-D coil that measures more like 7½" by maybe 11¾". It can also use a round 5" DD coil and a 5X10 DD coil as a mid-size factory coil offering.

Now, let's consider the 2nd 'apple' which is the Nokta FORS CoRe (which stands for Coin and Relic). This model was introduced, I believe, in 2014 making it about 8 years newer than the T2. I got mine in January of 2015 and I believe it was released just the year before by a few months. It operates at 15 kHz, and in this industry we seem to lump models into a group if they fall in the 13 kHz, 14 kHz and 15 kHz operating range. It has a rear-mounted control housing and battery system and is also powered by 4-AA batteries. Like the T2 the Headphone Jack is rear-positioned, and the FORS CoRe also has an Automated Ground Balance and also allows for Manual GB by the operator. The 1-99 numeric TID uses a default '40' as the break point between Ferrous and Non-Ferrous targets.

It features an All Metal mode and three Discriminate modes, to include a 2-Tone mode with a Low-Tone for iron and a VCO enhanced High-Tone for Non-Ferrous targets. A 3-Tone mode with a Low-Tone for iron, and a Mid-Tone and High-Tone. It also features a COG or Conductive Ground ... aka beach mode ... for hunting salt water and wet alkaline environments with a VCO enhanced High-Tone. The standard search coil is a 7X11 Double-D. It also has a smaller 4.7X5.2 'OOR' (Out-Of-Round) DD and a 5½X10 DD mid-sized factory search coil offering.

Both of these detectors work very close in operating frequency, both balance quite well, and both provide ample adjustment features to make them very good multi-purpose detectors. I feel they are better suited for Relic Hunting, especially with the smaller coils in dense iron trash, but can work fine for Coin Hunting. The T2 does have a couple of Tone ID options the FORS CoRe doesn't have, but the FORS CoRe does feature a Tracking GB option, mainly for use in the All Metal mode, that the aT2 doesn't have. The FORS CoRe also has a Vibrate mode for those with very impaired hearing, the option to change the Audio Tone Pitch w/5 settings, and has a 'headlight' in the handgrip that I have found useful during nighttime hunting in the heat of summer as it lights up the area around the search coil.

Now, let's compare the above two 'apples' to a 'peach' of a detector, the Nokta FORS Relic. The Relic was just released a year ago in early 2016 and uses the same control housing and rod/grip set-up as the FORS CoRe making it also very well balanced and surprisingly lighter weight than it appears in a photo. Like the T2 and CoRe, the Relic is powered by 4-AA batteries, and has the rear-positioned Headphone Jack. But the FORS Relic does offers some differences to both the T2 and FORS CoRe.

The standard search coil is 7X11 DD, like the CoRe, but the smaller-size coil is a round, 5½" DD coil. There are two mid-sized coils for the Relic, a 5½X10 DD and 5½X10 Concentric.

The Relic operates at 19 kHz and is in a group we associate with models that operate from 17 kHz to 20 kHz. The Ferrous/Non-Ferrous numeric TID break point is '20' and that means there is a greater spread for Non-Ferrous target classification. The FORS Relic offers two additional search modes to the All Metal, 2-Tone, 3-Tone and 2-Tone COG (Beach) modes. They are also 2-Tone modes called SWIFT and DEEP. The Relic lacks the Vibrate function and operator adjustable Tone Pitch. However, it now includes a variable Tone Break and Iron Audio Volume control so the operate can adjust the loudness they prefer for targets in the lower Tone Break range (which is usually Iron TID range).

Like most modern digitally designed detectors in this higher VLF range the Relic does offer a different performance behavior in some challenging trashy sites that add to its abilities to unmask good targets in iron debris.

D&P-OR
Both these two detectors can use the same size coils (11" & 5" DD's).
The mid-sized coil for the T2 is 5X10 DD and for the FORS CoRe it is 5½X10 DD. The FORS Relic has a 5½X10 DD as well as a 5½X10 Concentric coil option

D&P-OR
Monte used to own/use the T2 but has moved on to the Relic (apparently now preferring it over the T2).
Yes, I used to own the T2. I had two or three of them early-on and liked the T2 only with the 5" DD coil for Relic Hunting. When the T2 'Classic' came out I got two of them (an ordering goof on my part), and with the 5" DD coil I like the current T2 'Classic' quite well as a Relic Hunting detector for working in a dense iron littered environment.

My White's MXT All Pro was a multi-purpose favorite in my arsenal, but the T2 was my main-use Relic Hunting detector and the Omega 8000 V.4 was what I grabbed most often for urban Coin Hunting. Why mention this? Because one thing that has annoyed me with all of the different T2's I have owned is that they are terrible at locking-on to mid-depth and deeper targets with the standard 11" BiAxial coil. The MXT Pro and Omega 8000 V.4 locked-on much more reliably. For ME, the T2 was at-its-best when the 5" DD was affixed to the far end of the rod.

After using the Nokta FORS CoRe, all the other units in my detector battery dropped to limited use or went up for sale. The only 'keepers' that worked okay in dense iron nails were my favorite Tesoro models. I also acquired two Fisher F19's to see if they offered any benefit in performance in the very dense iron plagued ghost towns I hunt, but they, too, fell short of performance. Yes, the T2's are no longer in my detector battery having been replaced by the FORS CoRe and then by the Racer 2 and FORS Relic.

We are dealing with another cold front and I have all my detectors here in my den. I have 6 Nokta's and 3 Makro's on the wall with 3 Tesoro's and that's it. I will say that is there wasn't a Nokta or Makro brand, the T2 'Classic' would be my main-use Relic Hunting detector. That said, there is a Nokta Detectors and Makro Detectors and their all-purpose performance has taken command.

D&P-OR
Keith has owned/used both these detectors but (when asked) now says he prefers the T2 Classic.
I can't speak for anyone else and their choices. I know the T2 'Classic' is good, I just feel the FORS CoRe and Relic units are better, at least for me and the very challenging sites I hunt and high mineralization I generally deal with. I also Coin Hunt and I liked the T2 less for that without the 5" DD coil, and I also do some Gold Nugget Hunting.

When the FORS CoRe came out I compared it with the T2, MXT Pro, AT Pro and a couple of other detectors using two small native gold samples, one sample is mine with two small 'pickers' in a glass vial, and the other a small gold nugget a friend of mine uses. The 15 kHz CoRe with a comparable-size search coil gave the better performance, and on the smaller gold specimens the 19 kHz FORS Relic has a bit of an edge on the FORS CoRe and others.

D&P-OR
Having said all this-----What are the "stand out" differences in performance of these two detectors? (one over the other)
This answer would be almost all personal opinion of field performance. However, the 'stand-out differences' in the way of features would be the CoRe and Relic offer Tracking GB, have the 'headlight' ,and for the Relic it also has the additional SWIFT and DEEP modes, Tone Break, Iron Audio Volume, and the broader spread in the Non-Ferrous TID range.

D&P-OR
Or is there even actually much difference at all in basic performance of the two?------In other words---I think we all know they are both excellent detectors--that's a given----but--what are the "blood & guts" difference(s) in PERFORMANCE of these two???-----Fire away, ALL opinions welcome!
There are some 'blood and guts' differences, but in the end any detector selection boils down to what we happen to prefer in packaging, features, and in-the-field performance. Some will prefer the T2, and I am sure a few responders might not have used a FORS CoRe or FORS Relic enough, or at all, to really compare the performance in-the-field.

When I evaluate any detector I make it a point to compare several makes and models side-by-side to verify performance differences. I get out to urban Coin Hunting sites but mainly spend my time hunting ghost towns, encampments, homesteads, stage stops and RR depot sites, and other old-use places with ample discarded trash. Doing so in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah and Nevada I get to experience a wide-range of ground mineral challenges, especially higher mineralization and with MMI challenges (magnetic iron component in the soil). I own what I use, and I use what works for me, and I mainly Relic Hunt.

Windshield replacement and new brake job all around this Wednesday, then I'll pack up and be off on my first Relic Hunt of 2017 ... well equipped with favorite Nokta, Makro and Tesoro detectors. thumbs down

Monte
February 13, 2017 10:44AM
It's to the point with the newer machines that the only difference (IMO) between them is the audio. If it talks to me, I go with it above everything else.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 13, 2017 02:16PM
I agree Tom. You have to like what it's telling you.

Rick
February 13, 2017 06:06PM
Del If i was after pure Relics in iron then the FR would be the choice..

and by theis I mean sites that are just nails and period iron and desirable period non ferrous..

it unmask extremely well in JUST nails..

I can make oit do double duty in a modern site wihtt he third tone..yet like any 19Khz machine the ID on small stuff really like sot climb quick...

I've been after an IN BETWEEN multi period use site machine and the T2-C. is fitting the bill very well....actually better than I expected and came as a surprise actually as I was just moving the unit for a friend but tried it for a day and saw the NICHE I was after..

As always I see the FR as a PURE Relic machine ...and a step above the F19 in the fact it can work into more modern areas with the third tone..

Now I see the T2-C. as PURE Triple duty unit..Works VERY well in Iron for unmasking...works VERY well in modern trash and or sites for unmasking ..works EXCEPTIONAL I have now found on multi period sites ..

As always there just tools.

and I'm not sure what you are looking for in a unit..I believe you like to hunt military bases out west through prior discussions??

Hers my arsenal of NEED to haves.

1-FR site machine ..Nail Picker unit..surgical tool ..

2-Sovereign..BBS=Big Brass Slammer..usd for looking for deep big brass in old site full of big deep stove iron and axe heads etc..

3- T2-C. Multi site unit - Multi use site unit..everyday Runner...gets the most use as my focus changes from day to day season to season it will be there to Scout with me..

pretty simple isn't it LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 13, 2017 06:26PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's my arsenal of NEED to haves.
>
> 1-FR site machine ..Nail Picker unit..surgical too
> l ..
>
> 2-Sovereign..BBS=Big Brass Slammer..usd for lookin
> g for deep big brass in old site full of big deep
> stove iron and axe heads etc..
>
> 3- T2-C. Multi site unit - Multi use site unit..ev
> eryday Runner...gets the most use as my focus chan
> ges from day to day season to season it will be th
> ere to Scout with me..
>
>
> pretty simple isn't it LOL..
>
>
> Keith

Keith,

I have pretty much reached the same conclusion.

My current machine lineup is very similar.

1. Fors Relic for the small iron sites and with the added bonus of a jewelry hunter on freshwater beaches.

2. Sovereign GT for the same reason you stated....the big brass in big iron. With the added bonus of a great saltwater beach machine.

3. My machine of choice differs here a little bit. Instead of a T2 or F75, I have the CTX 3030 for my primary unit for every day sites. If I'm in modern trash sites or get the wild hair to go after old coins, this is my tool of choice.

4. And for open fields and places I need something deep, or in places with highly mineralized soil, I break out the TDI with a 9x14 mono Nuggetfinder coil. And here again, from what I've seen in videos, this machine is almost un touchable in depth on saltwater beaches. I will find out for myself next weekend. Supposed to be at a big archery shoot but took some extra days and bringing at least 3 of the detectors with me for the beach.
February 13, 2017 08:04PM
T2-c. what does the c stand for.?
February 13, 2017 08:34PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> T2-c. what does the c stand for.?

Classic was my guess
February 13, 2017 08:34PM
Classic - or maybe Confederate! Lol

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 14, 2017 01:26AM
LOL Rick!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 14, 2017 01:27AM
Classic..I was just adding it to show that it was the newer one so we can have a distinction of sorts..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 14, 2017 02:07AM
I was thinking the first T2s was green and called Classic. Was they not? Is there the only one T2 Classic? Thanks
February 14, 2017 02:07AM
You guys are ruining me!!!---Now I've gotta have a T2c also--can't live without it!!----And it's ALL Keiths fault to!!grinning smiley----------Del
February 14, 2017 02:40AM
Del you will be happy with a T2 classic imagine the quietness of a F19 with a lot more depth and as good of iron separation as the F19 using a NEL Sharpshooter coil on the T2 Classic.
February 14, 2017 08:19AM
My vote goes for to the Relic...... DI3 running near flat out on sensitivity and tone break set at 20..... Not many machines come near, but both solid machines at the end of the day, put either in my hand and you'll see me smile.
February 14, 2017 08:37AM
Cannot comment about the Relic machine,but i do still own one of the original green T2 detectors and its one of my all time favourites,found me a fair amount of gold over the years including George111 Guinea,Celtic full and 1/4 staters as well,dont use the stock coil much but i love the NEL Sharpshooter,5'' coil and the NEL Storm with just this one detector and these 3 coils have most detecting situations cover.I do have other detectors as well,but always carry my trusty T2 with me as a backup,main machine i shoot from the hip these days is the Deus and Nexus MP for deeper targets.
February 14, 2017 01:50PM
To support and clarify my personal detector choices related to my above post:

I do not argue the abilities of the T2 'Classic' or the former T2's. Not sure what it is, but having had several of both versions, I really prefer the T2 'Classic.' But as I've stated, the vast majority of my detecting time is spent Relic Hunting, and most of those sites are plagued with nails and other challenging iron junk from their era of activity (mainly 1850 to 1900). I kept a T2 w/5" DD coil for a main-use unit over the other brand competitors until I started working the Nokta FORS CoRe. A close operating frequency, equally light and well balanced, but there was an 'edge' in performance I experienced with it over all other makes and models I used and compared it against, to include the T2.

I mostly use smaller coils and occasionally a mid-sized search coil in less trashy areas and where iron nails are the primary offender. But I do get to more open areas on occasion where I opt to mount a 'standard' size search coil for a little improved coverage and maybe gain a slight amount of detection depth, and this is one area that helped me decide to make a change in my personal detector line-up. Let me clarify here that I don't have near neutral beach sand like Florida or a lot of mild and mellow ground like I have hunted in Texas and many other states. No, I am not that fortunate because I hunt mostly higher mineralized ground. Not just a higher Ground Phase Read-Out from ground balancing, but models that show the MMI (Magnetic Mineralization Indicator) or Fe3O4 ground mineral indication are usually ± a 75% or higher reading as well.

Even some of the fresh water beaches I have a lot of challenging mineralization, and in beach, grassy park, bare dirt, plowed fields and other more open areas, I never was satisfied with the performance of any T2 I had when using their standard 11" BiAxial coil. Even Teknetics own Omega 8000 V4 produced better TID lock-on and stability on mid-depth and deeper targets when worked side-by-side with the T2's I had at the same time. Just too erratic for me with the standard coil so the T2's became a smaller-coil only detector use unit in my arsenal.

So two years ago the side-by-side performance I got using the Nokta FORS CoRe and a Teknetics T2 and both their standard 7X11 Vs 11" BiAxial coils and their smaller 'OOR' Vs 5" DD coils resulted in me quickly switching to the FORS CoRe over the T2's, MXT Pro's and other models that had been at the top of my regular-carry battery. Then a year ago came the higher-frequency FORS Relic with the 7X11 standard coil and a 5½" DD smaller coil, plus two mid-size coil choices. A 5½X10 DD or 5½X10 Concentric, and I have preferred the Concentric version for low-to-modest trashy sites.

The Relic also proves Iron Audio Volume and variable Tone Break adjustment over both the FORS CoRe and T2, and has the two additional modes that are also useful for the right environments. I bought another FORS Relic to keep them both ready-to-grab with one equipped with the round 5½" DD that I use the most, and the other sports the 5½X10 Concentric coil.

I have read where some, like Keith, favor the 19 kHz FORS Relic for certain sites with nails and some other iron challenges, and I like mine for the same reasons and because I found it to out-perform other former detector models I have used that operate from 17+ kHz to 20 kHz. I can understand that some people also like the Teknetics T2 as a 'second' detector to give them whatever 'edge' they feel it might provide for somewhat different hunting environments. Part of that decision might be attributed to the slightly lower operating frequency as well as performance.

In my case, however, as much as I do like the T2 'Classic', I still have the excellent performing FORS CoRe, and this 15 kHz detector was the one that bumped the T2, MXT Pro, MX5, Omega 8000 and several others from my detector line-up two years ago, and there's no reason it doesn't still provide me that slightly different 'edge' I can get over the FORS Relic. Thus, for me, the FORS CoRe stays in place of a T2 'Classic. It doesn't only provide me the detector with performance I favor, but the packaging design and excellent weight and balance is the same as my FORS Relic's so I can grab any of them and have the same comfortable feel.

In addition, I get better, tighter, TID read-outs on mid-depth to deeper targets, and I feel it is one of the deeper detecting models I have used in many years that operates in that mid-to-upper end VLF frequency range. Finally, both my FORS CoRe and FORS Relic units provide me better in-the-field responsiveness on smaller, thinner, lower-conductive gold nuggets, chains and rings, and other smaller lower-conductive targets than I got from any of the Teknetics, Fisher, White's or Garrett models I compared them against using similar-sized search coils and settings.

And, like Rick, N. Mi stated: "You have to like what it's telling you." I agree, and I prefer the way my CoRe and Relic talk to me. Too much 'gibberish' and 'back-talk' from most of the competitors units I compared them against when out in some bad-ground and challenging hunt sites. In conditions with a lot of mixed-metal trash to include rusty tin, I prefer the smallest coil and hunting in their 3-Tone mode the bulk of the time.

When in more open areas and those with sparse debris or when I am only dealing with 'wire iron' like nails and cut wire, etc., I use the best coil for the trash ratio and prefer one of their 2-Tone search modes. They kind of make the desired non-ferrous coins, tokens, buttons, jewelry and other better conductive targets kind of jump out at you with their audio language. All twelve of my arsenal of detectors have that desired ability, that's why they are there, and that's why they all get used. Some do have more specific applications while my regular favorites are truly multi-purpose performers.

Monte