Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett AT Pro falsing......Solved?

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Garrett AT Pro falsing......Solved?
February 19, 2011 11:59PM
The message below was posted on another forum.

I have one on order and my dealer called me today saying he had to send all of his stock back to garrett and they are going to send him new machines. He said there is a bad connection inside the control box at the coil connection. it is not the coil. he also stated garrett has fixed the problem and all new shipments are good. he is a big dealer and went through 30 units trying to find me one that wouldnt false because i was worried about getting one that did.
Re: Garrett AT Pro falsing......Solved?
February 20, 2011 12:17AM
I heard that there is a wall in Charlie Garretts office with 2 dart boards. One board has a picture of Tom Dankowski, the other board has a picture of Synthnut.
February 20, 2011 12:31AM
LAF-----That's a good one TerraDigger---you may be right!------If we didn't have guys like Tom, Jim, Keith (and a few others), we'd still be pretty much "in the dark" on this AT Pro thing though.------I was just about about to post this info. that this gentleman posted.-----It's on "the other forum"----titled "Falsing or not" (scroll down) for this info.-----Is this THE ANSWER???--Could well be!-----One dealer---30 units and EVERY ONE of them falsed--WOW!----It's gotta be telling us something!
February 20, 2011 01:27AM
Terra ,
You're a bad seed !!!...... I guess that's why I like you !!

Seriously, I knew that there were other machines out there that had falsing issues, but I had NO IDEA how far reaching this was allowed to go ...... then again after some of the people I dealt with on that forum , I can kinda understand it !!...... Every other thread on that forum mentions the word "FALSING " ... When I see what an incredible little machine this AT Pro is , and this thing is priced just above some of your lower priced machines , it amazes me that this issue was not fixed WAY earlier .........?????? ......... I guess you will never know what goes on in someone elses mind ......... I stand by what I said about his machine ...It's stil a GREAT machine and does everything pretty darn well !!..... and there are very few detectors in this price range and even a couple hundred more , that can touch it !!......Jim
All kidding & bad jokes aside......
February 20, 2011 03:56AM
Garrett is 'now' doing the right thing. But a great debt is owed to every person that participated in bringing the issue to light, being fearlessly honest and standing their ground. If all of you involved ever have a down day, think of the thousands (and over time there will be) AT Pro owners who will have great experiences due to your actions. That's a nice feeling to carry around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 03:57AM by TerraDigger.
Re: All kidding & bad jokes aside......
February 20, 2011 07:08AM
Well, let's put it this way----Garrett is now HEADING in the right direction of doing the right thing.----New production units, yes--problem is "apparently" solved in that regard.----Time will tell, as more newly released units come to market.-------But again, what about ALL those early machines that are out there?---Seems to me that if Garrett was completely doing the right thing, they would at least issue a bulletin on the earlier "problem" ones. (guideline for checking/testing possible defective units).-----I guess no m.d. manufacturer does that though, so it's just a case of buyer/consumer beware.----In other words, it's up to the user to know if the AT PRO is operating right/properly or not.------What makes this really tough is that (apparently) some of the earlier produced units had a coil (or connector) problem & some didn't.-----Looks like there is little risk in purchase of the "latest out" AT PRO's.------Used market (different story)--BE CAREFUL.---JMHO--------------Del
February 20, 2011 08:14AM
Jim - You did take a lot of stuff on that other forum because you had the confidence and honesty to not only know that something was wrong, but to say so. Some of the responses you got were downright hostile.

There were a few others, Tom Dankowski and Keith Southern come to mind, who stuck their neck out and got blasted too.

But what's most important isn't the way things started but the way they ended and your stand has been vindicated.

I noticed one guy from the "south" who said his machine was just fine and gave you kind of a hard time has now posted about sending his AT Pro in to fix the falsing problem.

All the "closet coilers" (as you so cleverly named them) owe you, and the few others who were persistant that this was a legit issue, a debt of gratitude.
February 20, 2011 03:45PM
I would like to offer my appreciation for the videos Synthnut and Keith had on youtube showing the problem for all to see and test their machines for the exhibited behavior. I was interested in a AT Pro but was waiting, watching and reading posts such as those here from Tom and all on their reviews and also for keeping updated on the falsing issue. I am grateful for all who said their mind both here and on the other forum and took the heat from others for doing so, many have benefited from your actions and I'm one of them. I asked the dealer I purchased mine from to check the machine before sending it to me for the falsing issue and used both Keith and Synthnut's videos as a guide for the dealer check for. Thanks again for your actions and posts on these forums, your contributions do not go unnoticed and are appreciated by many like myself. a little honesty and integrity goes a long way.
February 20, 2011 07:52PM
Charles ought to be sending them a "thank you" note for their help in bringing this problem to a head and then a fix. I wold guess that Charles wants detectors with his name on them to be working RIGHT, these people mentioned above all actually were a huge help to Garrett by appying the pressure of a light shining on a problem. They may have been mad at first but now... they should be thankful, no one was out to urt them, but only to help. I look forward to trying an AT this spring/summer now that I know that it is "all that with a cherry on top"!! I'd already have one but I have to pace myself because I am a "detector hoarder", laff.

Thanks you guys for all you had to endure both with the "Garrett loyal" and with the faulty units. You not only did Garrett a favor but you did us all a service and my hat's off to you all!

Julien
February 20, 2011 08:27PM
One thing is for sure. This AT Pro has had more discussion on the boards than any detector I can remember. I think we all just fell in love with the price. Not to mention that we have heard from some of the best out there that this dog can hunt. Some great dealers came forward and said they would test them before selling. Now that is great stuff right there. I still caution people about buying a used AT Pro. We know some are out there that need to be corrected. But in the end I could see myself picking one up this Summer. I'll talk it over at my next club meeting.
February 20, 2011 09:11PM
Thanks for the kind words guys , but this was surely a group effort .......There are times when I post things , and I end up standing alone .....At least this time around I had some support .....Tom was right there , which I was happy for since he is well respected in this community , but a lot of folks threw rocks at HIM !!...... Keith posted video's also and surely helped bring this effort full circle , and just the fact that I had guys supporting me thru PM's letting me know that I was doing the right thing was a blessing ..... Perhaps I was a little more voacl about this issue because I knew that there was no other way of dealing with it , especially when I was being told by the company that made the machine that this was NORMAL !!...... I'm a firm believer that " No good deed goes unpunished " ......I know that every time I say something that I KNOW to be true , that if it's unpopular , that I'm gonna take a beating somewhere along the line ..... I've been TIRED all my life of seeing things get swept under the rug ... You grow up getting yelled at for doing something wrong .....Who would ever think that you would get yelled at for doing something right ? .....LOL !!..... Anyway, thanks for the support , and if you ever see anyone sticking their neck out , and doing the RIGHT THING , stand by them !!..... Right is right !!....Even if it is unpopular at times !!......Thanks again, Jim
February 20, 2011 11:12PM
"and if you ever see anyone sticking their neck out , and doing the RIGHT THING , stand by them !!"

That's the best advice I have read on a forum in a long, long time.
February 21, 2011 02:02AM
Persecution surely measures true strength.

Coyote65.......you are most certainly welcome. I applaud you for your commendation. ((( This is very difficult for most folks to do ))).
Thank's for expressing appreciation on the At-pro ..
February 21, 2011 07:28PM
And thank's to Tom And Jim and other's for mentioning it also...

It was never my personal intent to attack Garrett....Heck When I found out about the Silver issue on the Gold Bug SE and posted about it I was just wanting answer's...there was some then who said it was a gold machine and they were not worried about it..................................What?????

But anyway I am glad we can speak "truthfully" here with no ridicule....

I am glad it is fixed and hunt's great.....Great machine for 600.00 buck's

never let personal feeling's get in the way of the truth...

Keith
February 21, 2011 07:53PM
By the way, Keith --

If you are the guy that originally brought up the "silver" issue, I thank you profusely! It apparently, at least partially, affected the production process, as apparently those issues have now been resolved...

Steve
Yes that was Me Steve ....I caught some heat for that Too
February 21, 2011 08:04PM
not too bad but some people did not like it....Still think the S.E. Gold Bug was the best of the bunch after they resolved the issue...but then it morphed into the Pro which is in it's own right a nice machine Just think the S.E. was a little hotter(Deeper)..But heck there not made anymore so moot point now...

And thanks for the thanks .....

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 08:05PM by Keith Southern.
February 21, 2011 08:15PM
Keith --

I still can find a few places selling the version 2.9 SEs, my fear though is I presume these were bought to be sold later at $499 (a nice deal) with the Pros at $649; my concern is that at least SOME of these 2.9s were acquired BEFORE the "fix" was done, and so I have no idea whether to take a chance on one of these or not. I would, if I knew Fisher would "fix" them if they were of the "unfixed" variety; but I have no way of knowing. In any case, your information helped me to keep from making a (potential) mistake -- and armed me with some info I needed in order to eventually get a Bug or G2 unit that I can be confident in (w.r.t. silver).

I appreciate you.

Steve
February 21, 2011 08:31PM
Steve if you are concerned , ask the dealer to try it or grab a G2
February 21, 2011 08:42PM
Yep, pretty much where I've arrived at, gman. Though, I have heard some really good things said about the "fixed" 2.9s. Some rumors that for depth, they are the best units of all the versions (as Keith alluded to)...which, with the lower price, is very enticing...

Steve
February 21, 2011 08:50PM
I have a 29er but got it late last fall ..
Need some more run time but i like it so far.

Steve i sent a PM
February 21, 2011 09:13PM
gotcha, gman.

Curious, with the 5" coil, how far do you air-test a quarter? Seems like on the "fixed" ones, it's about 9-10", from what I can tell. Not too shabby! The "faulty" ones, I have heard, could only do 6" if lucky.

Steve
February 21, 2011 09:27PM
Personally, I think guys like Tom D, Keith, Synthnut and others, should be getting a free unit from the mfg's for catching their 'buggy' detectors before things get really out of hand. Like perhaps several thousands of defective units being produced....instead of perhaps hundreds...... and then the mfg having to fix all of them later on. Where's the gratitude? In the old days companies used to do such a thing to show their appreciation for a customer helping them save money in the long run.
Crazy me.....What am I thinking????......since when do today's "forced beta testers" ever get compensated for their time and effort. It's patently unfair that the paying customers have to do the mfg's field testing and troubleshooting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 09:31PM by TerraDigger.
February 21, 2011 09:29PM
Yep did a air test the other day Max gain Disc of 30
10 inches on silver quarter repeatable with medium swing speed.
With 11 DD coil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 09:36PM by gman.
I bought my first garrett in 76
February 21, 2011 09:37PM
Had a problem with the coil, sent it in, they sent out a new one. I've always liked garrett quality and service. Im not surprised they are fixing all of the bad ones. . Although I haven't owned one for the last 20 or so years, I'll have to give the at a test drive this summer.
February 21, 2011 09:43PM
nice, thanks gman.

Steve
February 21, 2011 10:35PM
Well, I'm sure Garrett AT PRO sales will really "pick up" this spring & summer, now that this problem has been addressed.---The sales on the AT PRO must have slowed (and rightly so) with a problem on the units revealed.----Instead of just keeping right on "cranking out" detectors with an issue.-------I just hope the ones that are already out there "get taken care of".---------Del
February 22, 2011 12:39AM
I wonder if Garrett will warrant a used unit from a non-original owner?

We'll see some appear on eBay (example #300528359849) from those who don't know that they can be fixed.
February 22, 2011 08:06PM
Ye Garrett are repairing my AT PRO,even though i bought it off ebay dead cheap i might add.It wasnt Garrett that wanted to do me for been the second owner,it was the repair agent.
February 22, 2011 11:27PM
Well I don't know if Garrett has the issue fixed or if dealers/distributors are still selling through their stock or what because I just got mine and it has the falsing issue and will be shipped back tomorrow. I heard this little tid bit about the problem but can't verify it as I was afraid it would void my warranty. One person said it is a very simple fix at the connector to the coil. he said the connections are very close and it causes arcing because the ends of the connections aren't wrapped. he said he thinks all Garrett had to do was put plastic wrapping at those connections. he also told me he could fix it himself within 8 minutes but cant because Garrett would void the warranty. Again just hearsay so take it with a grain of salt as I am sending mine back. I did ask my dealer to check it before shipping it out to so I could avoid sending it back but evidently it didn't get done. I thought I had my bases covered and was aware of the falsing issue but egg on my face as I have to send mine back like everyone else. It makes you wonder how many new to the hobby will get one and think it's normal and give up on the hobby or sell or trade their detector not knowing all detectors do not behave that way, I feel for these folks.
February 23, 2011 01:25AM
Good point(s).