Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm thinking about adding a backup machine for hunting in iron.....

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm thinking about adding a backup machine for hunting in iron.....
February 24, 2017 04:37PM
Any suggestions, Racer 2 or an F 75, what do you guys suggest? Never been much of a relic hunter but I think I might want to dabble in it. I'm thinking I may be able to pick up either one at a pretty good price here in the next few weeks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 04:42PM by Dan(NM).
Re: I'm thinking about adding a backup machine for hunting in iron.....
February 24, 2017 04:51PM
February 24, 2017 05:05PM
If you haven't read Keiths post on finds with the T2 Classic, might take a look at it.

T2

The T2 classic with the 5" coil is hard to beat in iron.
February 24, 2017 05:26PM
For really trashy saxon/roman sites i use the T2 with the 5'' coil,Vaquero with the NEL Snake and 5.75'' Concentric coils and also use my Crossbow Pulse with a 5'' coil on for really trashy highly mineralized sites,stock coil are not the best option in really trashy sites,alawys best too use a small coil.
February 24, 2017 05:39PM
I got a deep f75 LTD 1/14 with 4 coils (2x5" coils, standard 11x7, and an ultimate 13) I can sell for $600.
February 24, 2017 06:04PM
Nearly as hard as picking a coin machine!!!
February 24, 2017 06:48PM
According to our resident metal detecting guru...Monte V. Berry...it's hard to beat a good Tesoro ED-120 machine like the first 2 versions of the Bandido or 2 tone notch Pantera... these are equipped with a 10 turn manual ground balance and threshold based all-metal mode. I have these machines and they are great in the small iron with a smaller concentric coil like the 5.75 or 7 inch one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 06:49PM by Hombre.
February 24, 2017 06:52PM
The ones you mentioned if they have small coils they would better serve you well...the impact has a small coil and you can select a freq of 20 that would be a very killer machine to hunt with maybe for all of your hunting....and the deus is another machine that they use in the U.S. and England with great results but a lot of use want a small coil for that machine and they are not offering it. Again hunting in iron is really tough and you really have to have the ear for it. Lots of youtube videos on what you need to listen to...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 24, 2017 09:08PM
Thank you for all the input, I'm going to have to think about this for a while. I guess it's time to go hit You Tube.
February 24, 2017 09:21PM
I would talk to the iron hunters like Keith on this forum also the AT is a great iron hunter...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

February 24, 2017 09:25PM
Dan you can pick through iron with that CZ5 with the 5" coil running zero disc. But if you want a machine that has a DD coil that can pick through iron great the T2 Classic is a very capable machine using the NEL Sharpshooter Coil and the 5" DD coil.
February 24, 2017 09:26PM
If you want a killer iron hunter in the cheap, pick up a used Red Racer, get the OOR 5" coil and the 5x10" DD, and that's all you'll need to tackle the iron thumbs down
February 24, 2017 09:31PM
The f75 doesn't handle iron and hot ground as good as the R2. R2 with iron audio is a game changer in the iron. Just my experience. R2 is on the heavy unbalanced side tho. Balance wise I'd take the f75 all day.
February 24, 2017 09:59PM
You named the two best choices and both have 5 yrs warranty.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
February 24, 2017 10:02PM
For high conductors and ID I have to give the F75 the nod.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 24, 2017 10:13PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For high conductors and ID I have to give the F75
> the nod.
>
> Tom

X2
$500.00 right now new.

February 24, 2017 10:17PM
Don't forget about the Deeptech vista series detectors. Very fast machines with very good depth. I have a vista gold and keep thinking of adding a vista warrior to the arsenal.

John
February 25, 2017 12:07AM
For a back up machine to strictly hunt iron I would grab a Tesoro Mojave with the new 7in concentric or another Tesoro with the 5.75 concentric if you don't already own a Tesoro for iron work.
February 25, 2017 01:03AM
I think for the time being I'll take the CZ5 out with the 5" coil I have coming and see how that works. There's just way too many different choices to make these days

88junior Wrote:
> Dan you can pick through iron with that CZ5 with t
> he 5" coil running zero disc. But if you want a ma
> chine that has a DD coil that can pick through iro
> n great the T2 Classic is a very capable machine u
> sing the NEL Sharpshooter Coil and the 5" DD coil.
February 27, 2017 06:23PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the G2. It's great in iron even with a big aftermarket coil on it. It's sneaky deep also.
February 27, 2017 06:39PM
I tested the G2 and it is a nice unit but the racer I think still trumps it in iron.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 27, 2017 06:45PM
Dan(NM) Wrote:
> I think for the time being I'll take the CZ5 out w
> ith the 5" coil I have coming and see how that wor
> ks. There's just way too many different choices t
> o make these days
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 88junior Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dan you can pick through iron with that CZ5 with
> t
> > he 5" coil running zero disc. But if you want a
> ma
> > chine that has a DD coil that can pick through i
> ro
> > n great the T2 Classic is a very capable machine
> u
> > sing the NEL Sharpshooter Coil and the 5" DD coi
> l.

I never had any luck with the CZ5 in iron, even with the 5" coil. I think there are many others that are better with 5" coils. It depends what you want. Did you want a meter?
February 27, 2017 09:14PM
What about the lowly White's IDX? Don't have one anymore, but I used to be able to slowly crawl around the iron using the 6" concentric coil. Worked pretty darned well up in the old mining camps that are a sea of iron trash.
February 27, 2017 09:20PM
Iron hunting is an art...some of us think we can hunt in iron but we miss a lot of masked targets.Not everyone is cut out for iron hunting even if we think we are...So I really think there are on really a few detectors out there that can really help you. And don't forget the AT pro

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 27, 2017 10:46PM
I liked the Golden Micromax and CoinStrike around big iron like you find around old mining camps and such. The Golden didn't false on the big bolts and what not, and the CoinStrike would hunt right up next to big old surface iron, in the little stuff you have to make sure you have averaging turned off. The F75 does real well and its even better if you teach yourself not to loiter over targets. The Sovereign wiggle works great on the Sovereign but the F75 hates it. F75 FA mode lets you loiter a little bit if you have to. That FA mode is like eating cake. ATPro is good if you like to hunt slooowly with the little 5x8 coil. The ATPro is good for isolating every target. Better than even the explorers. I really liked it for that. The F19/GoldBug/G2 did well although large deep iron sounds non-ferrous and you have to learn to use the audio to size the target. Audio duration was a dead give away for large deep iron on the F19/G2/Goldbugs. And not to forget what MarkG is discovering, delta pitch audio is like looking at a display with your ears. The V3 has some promise in mix mode but you have to spend time dialing it in.

Last but not least, the F5 does real well in small iron if you aren't pushing the depth. Thats is one of the reasons why I like it for tiny target hunting.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 10:49PM by Mike Hillis.
February 27, 2017 11:22PM
In my bad, highly mineralized ground, my R2 with 5x10 beats the socks off my G2+ with 5x10.....depth is far better and both are very quiet and
both have iron audio....in this day and age iron audio is a must have in my book...
February 27, 2017 11:25PM
My iron audio is single tone and disc out nails. LOL

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 28, 2017 03:24AM
Iron audio is a must now for me,,much better in iron

February 28, 2017 09:29AM
Iron audio on the G2+ and Racer 2 is a blessing compared to standard audio. T2 and F75 iron responses are more of a background white noise to my ears allowing the squeakers to come thru cleanly.

Tom

February 28, 2017 09:36AM
X2 on the G2 and big coils. The Mars Tiger coil stays on mine pretty much all the time, pretty darn deep in iron. Still, there are better setups for high conductors in iron.

Tom