Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm thinking about adding a backup machine for hunting in iron.....

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: I'm thinking about adding a backup machine for hunting in iron.....
February 28, 2017 12:57PM
Tesoro Mojave + Iron = FUN! I'm just totally amazed how well the Mojave works next to houses that are loaded up with nails.

tabman
February 28, 2017 01:15PM
For heavy iron the small coiled racer is a good tool..If you have targets beyond 4" or so the Turkish units struggle to hit them in trash. I think what makes them good at picking out little shallow low conductors others seem to miss is what makes them poor at punching through the tiny decomposing nails.

The F75 will hit deeper, older coins. The racer will hit cuff buttons, corset clasps, maybe a gold coin and such better- especially with the smaller coil. As said above, the at pro really suprised me in house sites. Despite my preconceived notions, they don't miss much. Really good audio. Just wish you could crank the gain a bit more.
February 28, 2017 08:09PM
Just an idea,,,if you want a great iron hunter the eurotek pro will work as good as most iron machines and is deep also.
Has iron audio for $219.00 with 8" concentric or $279.00 with 11" DD
I have 2 because they work that good.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
February 28, 2017 09:28PM
Tabman, you and Lawrenzo may be long lost kin..... He loves his Racer as much as you love your Mojave. Though lately, he hasn't told us every other post. grinning smileysmileys with beer
February 28, 2017 09:37PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The F19/
> GoldBug/G2 did well although large deep iron sound
> s non-ferrous and you have to learn to use the aud
> io to size the target. Audio duration was a dead
> give away for large deep iron on the F19/G2/Goldbu
> gs.
> HH
> Mike

That's why I finally sold my old IDX which I had kept around for iron sites. When I bought my Gold Bug Pro, I did a fair bit of side-by-side comparing between the GBP and the IDX, and the GBP handily beat it in almost all areas, but specifically, iron handling, recovery speed, and separation. Depth was about the same on both units.

The GBP is no slouch. It's what I carry when I am hiking/camping in the mountains. It is my nugget detector, but its great when I come across an old homestead or mining camp.
March 01, 2017 12:44AM
The AT Pro works quite well, though I think a smaller DD than the 5x8 would make it way better. I'm thinking of picking up a NEL Snake for mine.
March 01, 2017 11:27AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Tabman, you and Lawrenzo may be long lost kin.....
> He loves his Racer as much as you love your Mojave
> . Though lately, he hasn't told us every other pos
> t. grinning smileysmileys with beer

That's cuz he's thinkin of marryin the Impact!!winking smiley--------Working iron?---Get the F-19/G2+ or T2C---problem solved! (sorta)thumbs down
March 01, 2017 01:08PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Tabman, you and Lawrenzo may be long lost kin.....
> He loves his Racer as much as you love your Mojave
> . Though lately, he hasn't told us every other pos
> t. grinning smileysmileys with beer

Spending more money doesn't necessarily buy you a better detector for working iron laden sites. VIDEO

Monte has advocated using small concentric search coils for good reason. It just blows my mind how well the Mojave pulls silver coins laying next to nails at old sites.

I run the Mojave with just enough discrimination to discriminate out nails. After retrieving a good target, I'll reduce the discrimination to see if there's any iron near it. It's surprising how many times there's iron in the hole or near it. Seeing is believing.

tabman
March 01, 2017 01:31PM
If anybody wants a Mojave and can't find one, I will sell you mine. I haven't had it a week yet. $200+ shipping. $25 should cover the shipping.

I'm getting full swing back into target archery. Didn't really need the Mojave but had to see what the talk was about.
March 01, 2017 04:26PM
for the Mojave, or any epsilon coils, what is the widescan? just another name they use for DD?
March 01, 2017 04:55PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> for the Mojave, or any epsilon coils, what is the
> widescan? just another name they use for DD?

Tesoro speak for DD........
March 02, 2017 08:05AM
I'm happy with the performance of my R2 in iron. Both small 5" & 5 x 10" work equally well. Have not noticed a problem with depth.
March 02, 2017 03:48PM
Sataro Wrote:
> I'm happy with the performance of my R2 in iron. B
> oth small 5" & 5 x 10" work equally well. Have not
> noticed a problem with depth.

Same.

My Racer 2 with the 4.5" OOR coil is fantastic in iron.
I'd like to see a comparison video of it and a "similar" Tesoro unit.
March 02, 2017 04:20PM
dave_e Wrote:
> Sataro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm happy with the performance of my R2 in iron.
> B
> > oth small 5" & 5 x 10" work equally well. Have n
> ot
> > noticed a problem with depth.
>
>
> Same.
>
> My Racer 2 with the 4.5" OOR coil is fantastic in
> iron.
> I'd like to see a comparison video of it and a "si
> milar" Tesoro unit.

Me too! Take a quarter and place 2 nails an inch from the quarter like depicted in the video. The ones that I used are 3 and 4 inches long. Now run your search coil down the length of the nails and see if you can detect the quarter. This test will tell you how well your detector fairs against the $251.10 Tesoro Mojave. Let us know the results. VIDEO

tabman
March 02, 2017 09:41PM
I thought for general coin testing a clad dime was the standard.

Any reason you're using a quarter?
March 02, 2017 10:00PM
Dimes are tough in iron, that's why I use them for testing. Fisher ID Edge @ 6.25 Khz gets em "in ground".

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 10:02PM by Jackpine.
March 02, 2017 10:29PM
dave_e Wrote:
> I thought for general coin testing a clad dime was
> the standard.
>
> Any reason you're using a quarter?

The quarter just happened to be handy. I just did the test again with the Mojave using a dime instead of a quarter and it pasted the test with flying colors. No need to test the other detectors since they couldn't even detect the larger quarter between the two nails going down the barrel. How did your detector fair in the test using either size coin?

tabman
March 03, 2017 01:47AM
It all changes in the dirt

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 03, 2017 11:43AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> It all changes in the dirt

Right, it's harder.

tabman
March 03, 2017 02:19PM
I'll check it out this weekend tabman. I've only been detecting about 2 years but I'll give it a shot.

Do you think the driving factor could be the concentric coil and the "V" shape of the detection field? Is it possible the longer "blade" shape detection field of a DD may be the real issue?

I don't think there are any concentrics made for the Racer 2.
March 03, 2017 02:49PM
I always thought DD's separated better than concentrics.
March 03, 2017 08:29PM
coinhunterseth Wrote:
> I always thought DD's separated better than concen
> trics.

Left to right, yes, but front to back, the longer pattern makes it separate less well. Like everything, it's a tradeoff. Usually left to right separation is more useful when sweeping in the typical broad swinging pattern. But when slowly inching around dense trash, a concentric can often be better. At least that's what I've found.
March 03, 2017 08:50PM
A DD can see around an object and hit a target a few inches below it better than a concentric, it's 'horses tor courses'.
March 05, 2017 08:45AM
In my experience once you get past 4 or 5 inches there's not much difference in separation. I wish FT (Dave J) would develop a concentric based on the old Fisher 10.5". The new elliptical concentric coils are OK but give us something bigger and round. Please!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 05, 2017 02:29PM
Tesoro is very easy to use, goes deep, good audio in iron and great separation in iron.

Rick