Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
March 11, 2017 08:41AM
So far i've watched it digging clad to a couple of inches.
Seen it pull a shallow coin on a relic hunt, and several other coins that weren't filimed being dug.
Seen pics of other relic and coins it has dug, no video.
An nail board test.
Advertising says it's the most powerful all rounder ever made?

Were hearing this from testers ,'Definitely a unique machine and an all time top level all arounder VLF that not many (very few) can compete with and in some ways = can't at all'
'No detector is perfect but this impact has a lot of options, it may be up there with my Deus'.
'The impact is a deep detector and once you understand it and what it is telling you, you will be amazed how well it works in different dirt'

If it's a top level machine let's 'cut to the chase' and see some proper 'head to head' with proven class leading machines in the field and test gardens, and in 3-4bar dirt.

£800 pre-order is a lot to ask for a unproven machine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 08:47AM by ghound.
Re: When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up?
March 11, 2017 09:08AM
Its always been the same really,a new machine just being launched and 'you' will never ever see a bad review from either individual testers or online/magazine reviews it just does not happen,it will be promoted as the best detector ever till the next new detector arrives on the market,then the same type of reviews will appear all over again.Dont get me wrong i am not knocking this specific model or brand or anything that is allied with them.

But that is just how modern marketing methods on detectors is done these days,years gone by all you had was the glossy adverts in magazines or a trip down too your local detecting shop but today maximum exposure can be gained from the internet and of course the biggest audience must be 'YouTube' give some test machine out to some knowledgeable detectorists and the job is done.A few spicey finds and then sales will start souring smiling smiley
March 11, 2017 11:32AM

ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

If it's a top level machine let's 'cut to the chase' and see some proper 'head to head' with proven
class leading machines in the field and test gardens, and in 3-4bar dirt.

When YOU buy one (and all those "proven machines" too) and spend your entire waking life trying to keep up with the demands of making/editing the videos so we can sit back and watch all your invested time/hard work, etc. be criticized by all the skeptical and delusional internet clowns that think their overpriced cell phone on a stick is the be all, do all, end all machine to all machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 11:35AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 11, 2017 11:44AM
Being totally honest, this is my personal opinion so take it as such.

The "impact" of the Impact wore off for me before the vid's came on line. TMI and most of it not really earth shattering.

I DO appreciate all the time and talent you guys invested in working with Nokta on this release. Never seen anything like this on any other new release from a manufacturer before. You guys did a great job!

Bottom line I made up my mind a while ago and will take a pass.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 11, 2017 12:11PM
And again, my honest opinion, all this bombardment from sponsored field testers, about this machine is the best thing since sliced bread, has only turned me totally against the Impact. It was the very same with the Racer. You cant come in here without the majority of recent posts being devoted to the Impact, by sponsored field testers, its just getting boring at this stage.

Ghound, if I was you I would just wait till real users start reporting back their findings, and most certainly I would not let anyone call me a clown no matter how much that person thinks he is so self important.
March 11, 2017 12:27PM
What's with you guys? Looking a gift horse in the mouth it seems. Our fellow long time forum buds spend boo coo time working these detectors for the benefit of all.

Like MRH said, maybe you should go buy one and test it your own impatient damn self. That time of the month maybe? I don't get it!
March 11, 2017 12:28PM
First I'd like to say thanks to all the testers of the impact. I appreciate all the hard work they've done testing the machine, making us videos, answering our questions and giving feedback to Nokta so the impact gets done right. I already think the impact and Nokta stand up to the competition in a big way. It seems like the impact has a lot of new and refined modes of operation. Just look at what Nokta/Makro have done for us in just a few years time, I feel Nokta/Makro are growing with us in a way, no other company interacts with the end users like Nokta/Makro and makes changes to or builds quality machines for us in record time. Nokta/Makro Listens to us and that's a huge step forward. I can't wait to get my impact I know it will hunt. And I like supporting a company that gets things done and works on improving technology. Thanks

John
March 11, 2017 12:31PM
Showing a detector and how it performs is upto the manufacturer and their appointed testers/engineers etc
Joe public shouldn't have to fork out £800 to see if what's being claimed by testers is correct.
Putting up a few pics of finds, tell everyone it can hang/or beat other top machines with no evidence, hhhmmmmmm, maybe there's a few delusional internet tester clowns about too lol !

MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
>

ghound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> When are we going to see how the Impact stacks up?
>
> If it's a top level machine let's 'cut to the chas
> e' and see some proper 'head to head' with proven
> class leading machines in the field and test garde
> ns, and in 3-4bar dirt.
>
>
> When YOU buy one (and all those "proven machines"
> too) and spend your entire waking life trying to k
> eep up with the demands of making/editing the vide
> os so we can sit back and watch all your invested
> time/hard work, etc. be criticized by all the skep
> tical and delusional internet clowns that think th
> eir overpriced cell phone on a stick is the be all
> , do all, end all machine to all machines.
March 11, 2017 01:40PM
If I could get my hands on one I would do an honest review but As we all know guys like me don't get to review pre releases. I dont trust people who are given free items to review as far as I can throw them. Harsh but true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 03:57PM by Diggs4ever.
wjs
March 11, 2017 02:18PM

I dont trust teesters as far as I can throw them

For the most part I kind of felt the same way and I am testing the impact. For years I have paid for my own detectors spent thousands of dollars in doing so. I have made a bunch of youtube videos and I am sure I made a lot of companies mad....Lol. I want to tell it like it is weather they like it or not. I will give you guys my honest opinion no matter what. I was told by Dilek early on that she just wanted an honest opinion. I was never told that I had to hype it up or anything like that. I like her honesty. But what may not work so well for my ground conditions and type of hunting may work great for someone else. I base my opinion on my type of hunting. Does it work for me in my area and what I am looking for. The impact has a lot of nice features and goes deep in my mild soil. Would it replace an Etrac as a deep silver park hunter. Probably not, but in real super trashy areas I think it would be my first choice. I have found some civil war bullets that I know were missed with other detectors. I was running the impact in 5khz in the deep mode with a sens at 94. This was early on in the testing so I did not get any video. I will try to get out and do some more videos but it is snowing right now say it may be a couple days.
March 11, 2017 02:37PM
These testers are men who have been on this forum for many years and have a lot of posts helping and teaching. Some of us have friendships with these guys form communicating here and on the phone, some even in person and many occasions,doing business. Highly respected men. One of them owns this forum and is a teacher of the fine art of metal detecting.

So before you guys start saying things you'll regret,... (for when you know better), I suggest you stop so we can also have respectful enjoyable time here on this forum.

Your opinion? fine, but learn more about the person you're dissing before you do it.
March 11, 2017 02:38PM
Diggs4ever Wrote:
> If I could get my hands on one I would do an hone
> st review but As we all know guys like me don't ge
> t to review pre releases. I dont trust teesters as
> far as I can throw them. Harsh but true

This is too funny! YOU, "don't trust testers as far as you could throw them" but YOU want to be a tester confused smiley!!! You would do "an honest review".... You seem to imply here that the other guys haven't or won't "do an honest review". Do you know something about the other guys that we don't? Why would they do a "dis-honest" review? Why should we believe you over them?

ghound- Are you referring to company engineers doing the testing of their own machines being better and more unbiased ... like the engineers at Whites who tested the MXS so successfully? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but a bunch of people had to fork out their own money to "test" the MXS for Whites without being told that they were being "testers".

Like was said in previous posts, I really appreciate the time and trouble the testers have devoted to their reports. If you don't approve of their methods or conclusions then do your own tests and vids and share your results with us and prepare for the criticism that you will get... from people just like you. Constructive criticism is fine. Implying that the current batch of testers is dis-honest crosses the line. We certainly don't see any other company listening to and delivering for their customers like Nokta does. Keep up the good work, Nokta!

Dean

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 02:51PM by bado1.
March 11, 2017 02:48PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Diggs4ever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If I could get my hands on one I would do an ho
> ne
> > st review but As we all know guys like me don't
> ge
> > t to review pre releases. I dont trust teesters
> as
> > far as I can throw them. Harsh but true
>
> This is too funny! YOU, "don't trust testers as fa
> r as you could throw them" but YOU want to be a te
> ster confused smiley!!! You would do "an honest review".... You
> seem to imply here that the other guys haven't or
> won't "do an honest review". Do you know something
> about the other guys that we don't? Why would they
> do a "dis-honest" review? Why should we believe yo
> u over them?
>
> ghound- Are you referring to company engineers doi
> ng the testing of their own machines being better
> and more unbiased ... like the engineers at Whites
> who tested the MXS so successfully?
>
> Like was said in previous posts, I really apprecia
> te the time and trouble the testers have devoted t
> o their reports. If you don't approve of their met
> hods or conclusions then do your own tests and vid
> s and share your results with us and prepare for t
> he criticism that you will get... from people just
> like you. Constructive criticism is fine. Implying
> that the current batch of testers is dis-honest cr
> osses the line. We certainly don't see any other
> company listening to and delivering for their cust
> omers like Nokta does. Keep up the good work, Nokt
> a!
>
> Dean

Hey = I like this guy grinning smiley

We need more guys like you around here Dean thumbs down
March 11, 2017 02:57PM
Thank you for your hard work, MRH. I appreciate it!

Dean
March 11, 2017 03:09PM
I appreciate all you testers! Don't let the negative stuff discourage you. I am currently testing the Alter 71 , bought with my own money, no strings attached. I'm posting my results in the Alter 71 thread.
I know hardly anyone believes the results so far. That's ok, I don't waste my time with videos. Some may believe me, many will not. It all comes out in the wash over time! Keep having fun with your Impact you are testing.
Share your results, and don't look back smiling smiley
HH to all.
March 11, 2017 03:35PM
I dont want to be a tester I do reviews of products. I purchase my own equipment and do the review.
March 11, 2017 03:39PM
When I say testers I'm referring to anyone who is sent a product for free to do a review on. You will never get the truth with that setup. So I should say reviewers not testers I guess.
March 11, 2017 03:39PM
I wish I had a friend that hunts, then I would compare it with other units...but after having the deus and racer the impact does offer more options in my opinion

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 11, 2017 03:51PM
In reference to ozzie

Wow eh take it to the next level bud. The people I am referring to is the people who are offered a free unit to do a review on. It is impossible to get a honest review with that type of setup. Thats why every notible youtube reviewer states at the beginning if they purchased a said unit or was given the unit. I should not of even commented. Stay within the borders diggs4ever or you will be booted haha.
March 11, 2017 03:55PM
I think what Jackpine, Ghound, and Ringmoney are feeling is frustration. They are frustrated that there are no new ground breaking innovations and they are right in that regard. Where are the machines that really make them stand worlds apart? I can think of AND implement 6 or so theoretical features that would change metal detectors forever. But I neither have the money or time to do so. If I can do it, why can't they?

As far as the testers are concerned, I think they are doing a fantastic job of getting correct, non-bias information out to the general public and I commend them and thank them for doing so and for their hard work(and it is very hard work). From the years on this forum. I know the testers, I can tell that the people giving the reviews are doing their best to meet expectation and are NOT being phony. I don't know how you can criticize them when all they are trying to do is give honest feed back.
March 11, 2017 03:59PM
I am a tester and you do more than get a free detector you have a lot of work they make you do. The company wants to know what tweaks we want, how the machine works in different programs. If their are any software issues. How it works in our different dirt. And then get a new update and test again. If the impact was not able to be updated via the internet we would have one detector and all the improvements would be on the machine being released not the ones we were testing!

Now that it is being released there will be a lot of owners testing it with their other machines so in time you will start to see that on videos. The coils are perfect and that is also a huge part of what makes this unit so sweet...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 11, 2017 04:04PM
Once the product has hit the market and is in the hands of the average Joe Detector, that is when you see the positive and the negatives of a product.

Reviewer/testers have a value, they can give a idea of the capabilities of product, but it is up to the end user to decide if product is for them or not.

That said, some reviewer/testers can go overboard....lol
March 11, 2017 04:07PM
The guys that are testing and reporting on the Impact ARE THE GUYS that I listen to and seek out THEIR opinions when I have a question about a detector,a situation,or anything related to MDing.My training in setting up large scale medical studies included a Large dose of sniffing out suspect data and so far ALL these guys pass the Smell test. Next question.
March 11, 2017 04:41PM
wjs Wrote:
>

I dont trust teesters as far as I can thro
> w them
>
> For the most part I kind of felt the same way and
> I am testing the impact. For years I have paid fo
> r my own detectors spent thousands of dollars in d
> oing so. I have made a bunch of youtube videos and
> I am sure I made a lot of companies mad....Lol. I
> want to tell it like it is weather they like it or
> not. I will give you guys my honest opinion no mat
> ter what. I was told by Dilek early on that she ju
> st wanted an honest opinion. I was never told that
> I had to hype it up or anything like that. I like
> her honesty. But what may not work so well for my
> ground conditions and type of hunting may work gre
> at for someone else. I base my opinion on my type
> of hunting. Does it work for me in my area and wha
> t I am looking for. The impact has a lot of nice
> features and goes deep in my mild soil. Would it r
> eplace an Etrac as a deep silver park hunter. Prob
> ably not, but in real super trashy areas I think i
> t would be my first choice. I have found some civ
> il war bullets that I know were missed with other
> detectors. I was running the impact in 5khz in the
> deep mode with a sens at 94. This was early on in
> the testing so I did not get any video. I will try
> to get out and do some more videos but it is snowi
> ng right now say it may be a couple days.

I think wjs has a balanced view of things. Any new machine will probably have it's own niche and best use scenario. There are huge variables in soils, goals, trash content, etc. As for testers value to Nokta or any other company, just look at the information Tom fed back to Nokta. Any company "giving" a test unit away is only fair for the testers time and probably a great deal for the companies instead of strictly using their own internal employees that have other motivations and produce inferior products. Even if testers may be slightly biased (human nature) some demo stuff manages to hit the streets rather than having to wait it out after a new product release which can take weeks or months. I like seeing the basic operations and hearing the sounds. Like ghound I really want to see how the Impact competes against an FBS machine on deep coins in bad soil.

That said I wonder if Nokta marketing has somewhat set itself up for problems by stating on the Impact box "The most powerful all-around metal detector ever made!". To me that means overall deeper and better ID than anything else. I suspect the intention is to mean more features and flexibility plus the three frequencies are displayed next to the statement. But if someone buys one based solely on that statement and the Impact can't clearly beat their current XYZ detector they might feel it was oversold. I honestly think Nokta/Makro has been very honest, open, customer driven and has earned a great reputation. That's an old story by now. My personal experience with Dilek and Makro has been excellent.

I've considered pre-ordering one because of the lower frequency and custom audio options plus the flexibility to take it into littered sites. I just wish someone was offering the pro package to include the wireless headphones. I may just wait it out to see how user acceptance is after the release.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 05:19PM by TabWhisperer.
March 11, 2017 05:55PM
I'm not slating the testers for the work they put in and what they contribute, we all value what they do, and i think Nokta are getting valuable info in return.
But what we've seen so far is pretty mild going, i'm looking forward to seeing the Impact getting a real good shake down and showing what it can or can't do and if it will replace what i'm using.
If a tester says it can find multiple targets left behind other top end machines, it will beat other top vlf's etc etc then show us it in action doing so, it will probably make it sell a bunch more units!
March 11, 2017 06:42PM
I believe the Impact has a unique way of doing mixed mode..yet its still a VLF....

Funny thing about detector comparisons..My corvette is better than your Mustang comes to mind..Yet detectors are not cut and dry performers..we can't line them up on a two lane black top style and see a definite outcome day in day out..All I have to do is look up a corvette zero to 60 and a mustang zero to 60 to answer my questions...but a detector is not so easy to do and that's why there's so much mines better than yours tougth mentality ...because I'm sure at times one is better than the other on a certain target in a certain site..

Yet I KNOW that while the Impact may make a find in a hunted out site beside a XXXXXXX that did not see it I can go down the street to another site and the XXXXXXX will see something the Impact did not see..

I don't see the Impact in my soil as deep as a F75 on a ten inch dime...Yet someone else may see them equal in there soil or maybe even deeper...

Name of the game..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 11, 2017 07:40PM
It is the machine and the user that make any unit great...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 11, 2017 08:28PM
send me one I will test it all day everyday LOL and see how it will stack up to a Nautalis DMC2ba my buddy has, he has killed the last deus he was in the woods with. he is tough with it, a killer in a home site. grinning smiley
March 11, 2017 09:21PM
Nope not frustrated at all. The group of guys testing are well respected members and I trust their reviews, thoughts and experiences with the Impact. On the other hand, I go along with ringmoney that "the bombardment of information" by a group of people, well meaning or not, may have a negative effect.

I made my decision based on the reviews. It had nothing to do with a lack of ground breaking tech. For one, Bill's report on the 5 Khz performance was greatly appreciated, not to mention other in depth reports on tonal qualities since a detectors "language" is important to me.

Notka has certainly made strides in advancing current tech no doubt.

Rick asked for a video that records the sounds as it's working through iron. Des D if you are reading this, something like the one you did with the R2 as you approached the camera from a distance working through a mess of iron/junk signals would be nice to "hear".

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 11, 2017 10:09PM
So out of all the reports out so far what are the some of the cons of this machine?
one I can see right off the bat is 4 AA batteries.
The machine does look like a very well built machine and menu system is a 8/10 in my books. which is good for the amount of options
Is the pinpoint switch open under the head unit or closed? My Rutus alter has a little hole where the switch is and mud gets in there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 10:19PM by Diggs4ever.