Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Considering a T2 Classic or a Racer

Posted by Matt in IL 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Considering a T2 Classic or a Racer
March 13, 2017 03:58PM
Hey there,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I am a beep and digger at heart, but am also fond of the TID. I recently sold my E-Trac as while it was a great machine and I found some real nice silver with it, it just didn't do it for me. I felt very one dimensional and never was in perfect harmony with it. Also, after about the four hour mark of swinging it while hunting, it felt like 100 lbs!

I have been looking at adding another machine to compliment my Tesoro Vaquero and have been looking real hard at the T2 Classic and the Makro Racer. I am having a hard time deciding on which one to use for my type of hunting. Where I hunt in Illinois, we have some pretty good soil and usually see low GB numbers. Most of my hunting is done at old parks, farm houses or deep woods preserves/groves for high conductors. For the parks, most everything has been cherry picked. You have to work real hard to find any good targets. They will either be very deep or masked by iron. Just recently we pulled two Barber Halfs from a park that is well known and gets hit a ton. One of the halfs was 11-12" and the other was only about 6" with a few large iron nails right next to it. As for the farm houses, it's an iron fest as you can imagine.

I have read a lot of reviews on both the T2 Classic and Makro racer here and watched quite a few videos. For their price, they seem like an excellent value to me and a lot of bang for their buck! I also understand that the Racer 2 is out and soon the Impact, but I am not ready to make that kind of commitment yet. What is your thoughts about these two for the type of hunting I do? I probably will run the stock coil on both for awhile and if I like the machine enough, I will add more coils into the mix.

The most important aspect for me is the audio. I need a detector that really sings to me and the VID will only be used as additional confirmation where needed. My ears are so trained to the nuances of the audio of a Tesoro, it's hard to use anything else that doesn't "sing". Is there another detector that I am missing that I should look at also?

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Considering a T2 Classic or a Racer
March 13, 2017 04:24PM
Racer has better audio and a little more raw depth.

T2 runs quieter and balances better.
March 13, 2017 04:50PM
Tesoro Mojave
March 13, 2017 04:55PM
I don't think you'd go wrong with either one, but I honestly would recommend the Racer 2. After the E-Trac I think you would be happier and more successful with it.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 13, 2017 05:32PM
I've used both, I'd get the T2 over the Racer. The Racer isn't very well balanced with the larger search coil. Actually, the CoRe and Relic will outperform the Racer and are better balanced with the larger search coil. Better yet, get a F75 with DST, it's better suited for coin hunting. They have some really great prices on them now (check with some forum sponsors) and they come with a 5 year warranty, backed by great service. The F75DST and Vaquero would make a great team. Both detectors are deep and can be swung all day long without pain.

tabman
March 13, 2017 05:36PM
I have the Nokta Fors CoRe and the T2, never used a Racer, but I have heard the Racer and the Core are very close in performance. I prefer to use the T2 in heavy iron, I run zero disc with 3 tone and use the small 5" coil. Hell of a combination, T2 also gets good depth and separation with the big 11" coil.

That said if the Racer performs like the Nokta Fors CoRe, you really can't go wrong with either one.

I would try both of them and see which one feels the most comfortable in hand.
March 13, 2017 05:41PM
I sold my F75 with DST and kept the Racer 2. For deep silver in old parks I'd take the F75, but for everything else and just a joy to use, the Racer 2 is the way to go. The Racer 2 is also way better in iron infested sites IMHO.
March 13, 2017 08:52PM
T2 Classic and don't look back.
March 13, 2017 08:52PM
I was wondering the same thing just recently. I was deciding whether to get a Racer, ForsCore, or a T2. I ended up getting the T2 with stock coil & 5" coil. Very nice detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 09:29PM by SkiWhiz.
March 13, 2017 08:53PM
If you have bad ground Id opt for the Red Racer over the T2 for depth..

Not that the T2 is not deep.its as deep or deeper..But the Red racer IS more apt to call a deep non ferrous as non ferrous..Vs the T2 calling a deep Non ferrous as ferrous...

I like the t2 all metal mode better though ..its more powerful..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 13, 2017 09:55PM
The red Racer has a knack for throwing in a 80-83 ID on trash items. I would opt. for the Racer 2 due to that reason even though I've heard that the Red Racer is deeper. I don't like digging trash. With the T2 Classic in these trashy areas the only trash I dig is the aluminum screw caps. I have never used a Makro or Nokta machine but have watched enough You Tube videos to determine what machine will work for my type of hunting. And I have yet to find a machine that will out perform my T2 Classic for the type of hunting I do.
March 13, 2017 11:34PM
Given that the T2 has the same DNA as the F75, I would go with the Racer or Racer2, as they are superior machines in iron.
March 14, 2017 12:47AM
Thank you everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it! You have given me more to think about...

Matt
March 14, 2017 01:09AM
I own both the t2 and R2 and in my dirt they both compliment each other very well and by my notes air test about the same....the R2 with the 5 x 10 coil is deadly on coins..either one is a great detector to use..good luck. hh. joe
March 15, 2017 02:00PM
Just wanted to give an update...I went with the Red Racer, should be here soon hopefully!

I was close to going with the Racer 2, but it had just a few too many bells and whistles I don't think I will take advantage of.

Can't wait to give it a spin!

Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 02:02PM by Matt in IL.
March 15, 2017 03:39PM
I love the red racer but the impact has the red racer and the racer 1 built into that machine. For the price you get a lot of detector and then some. I on the other hand before testing the impact have the deus and the red racer...And plan on keeping them

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 15, 2017 05:59PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love the red racer but the impact has the red ra
> cer and the racer 1 built into that machine. For t
> he price you get a lot of detector and then some.
> I on the other hand before testing the impact have
> the deus and the red racer...And plan on keeping t
> hem

Lawrenzo------As one of our resident Impact testers---I have a question for you.------If (as they say) the Impact is (sort of) 36 detectors in one---and if (as they say) it is the most powerful detector ever built.-----Also, having all those different programs/modes.-----Also, (as you say) it has the original Racer & Racer 2 built into it (and then some).-----I don't know about the Deus---but---ok, here's the question.-------(IF) the Impact is all these things---then why are you planning on keeping your Racer & Deus?------What are they doing that the Impact will not do?------Or is it your plan to keep the original Racer & Deus for "fall back" detectors? (just in case)------That's a "reasonable enough" question to ask isn't it?-----------Del
March 15, 2017 06:16PM
Welcome to the forum Matt in IL.