Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Difference @ the Silver Sabre II vs the Silver Sabre Umax ?

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Difference @ the Silver Sabre II vs the Silver Sabre Umax ?
March 28, 2017 06:27PM
What site and which forum administrator deleted the informative posts and links pertaining to Tesoro detectors?

tabman
March 28, 2017 10:20PM
This is a busy thread - goes to show still great interest in Tesoro
March 28, 2017 10:37PM
Hi Sandman,

Joe and i took over being Admin think this Dec.

I always took it that deleted posts by author, was done by the poster, which they can do. Guys will do this when they get fed up with something being the hobby or the forum, quit and delete any and all posts.
Unfortunate that the forum does not have an extensive Admin Dashboard to tinker in, its like a beginners forum. I ran two other forums and the Dashboard has 2001 different items I can manage.
If you didn't delete your posts, then I suspect it was previous Admin. And its usually permanent. I will try and see if there is something hanging around on the Internet Archives which takes a snapshot of websites over the years.
With a bit of luck might find the stuff.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 28, 2017 10:38PM
tabman
What site and which forum administrator deleted the informative posts and links pertaining to Tesoro detectors?

Not to tell stories out of school................

Look at my reply to marcomo in this thread.
The clue in the picture I posted, look at the corner of my avatar.

Always good to here from you tabman.

SandMan
March 28, 2017 10:51PM
Tabman, it was the Compass Forum
Sandman, I checked the Archives, snapshot of the pages were saved but the links don't lead to any posts, was hoping the links would work.
http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/]https://web.archive.org/web/20130813054148/[compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com][/url]

Works for me
March 28, 2017 11:09PM
Sandman, I just re-read your posting above about what happened at the forum. Now I do remember something going on at the time. When I went to see what all the fuss was about, found the posts were deleted. That was before, I came on board as a Administrator and volunteered to clean up the forum and make sure spammers could not register and post with out being an authorized user. The forum was a mess. It's pretty well straightened out now..
Took a look at your posting history, which is still viewable, just nothing in the way of the actual post is there. I will fish around and see if there is a way to bring back any of the posts, no guarantees. I think deleting all your posts was probably uncalled for, went a bit overboard. That Tesoro stuff interests me..............................

Works for me
March 29, 2017 02:28AM
Sven1
Hi Sandman,

Joe and i took over being Admin think this Dec.

I always took it that deleted posts by author, was done by the poster, which they can do. Guys will do this when they get fed up with something being the hobby or the forum, quit and delete any and all posts.
Unfortunate that the forum does not have an extensive Admin Dashboard to tinker in, its like a beginners forum. I ran two other forums and the Dashboard has 2001 different items I can manage.
If you didn't delete your posts, then I suspect it was previous Admin. And its usually permanent. I will try and see if there is something hanging around on the Internet Archives which takes a snapshot of websites over the years.
With a bit of luck might find the stuff.

Hey Sven,

I guess now is one of those times I have to grit my teeth and be nice.
It's good fortune that is my way, "but" I can't stand being made to look like a wimpy punk either.
No guy does.

Ok, be nice, be nice, be nice.................

Sven1
If you didn't delete your posts....

"Delete my own posts!!"

Have you lost your ever loving mind?

I am not the kind of guy that pouts, picks up my toys, and goes home!.

It's happened just as I posted to marcomo.

Sven1
then I suspect it was previous Admin

Excuse me,....the guy you're referring is currently your co-admin.

Sven1
And its usually permanent

*/#@&^%@#*&%$#@*%$*#*&%

Brother, I am not in a good mood now, I'll tell you that for nothing!

Ok then,.....for you and everyone reading this.

Let's put everyone on the same page.

In 2011 I found a small forum with a bunch of advanced users, with some good tech guys as well.
It's often been refereed to as "the best forum on the internet".
Not a boast, fact.
People came from all over the world to visit, seeking help and information.
They "always" got both.

That forum had what you would call an "absentee admin".
He came around about as often as when we have an eclipse.
Everything was great. I had a long layoff from metal detecting, but boy I was back in it up to my neck now.
Tons of fun,.... they say you learn something new every day.
There,.... I was learning 5 and 10 new things every day.

Without an admin around, there came up a scuffle from someone who joined just to bad mouth someone.
There was an eclipse.
Gary, the forum founder showed up.
One of the veteran members emailed him that there was trouble on the forum.
He showed up, and wasn't happy.
He laid down the law.
He also said something I wish he hadn't.
"I don't want anyone here acting as a moderator or an admin"

You see Sven, and you readers.............
Up to that point, I was getting the spam advertising handled.
When I saw you guys so bent out of shape over the spam, I contacted the forum provider.
I sent a polite email asking for some help with the spam.
A tech guy there emailed me back.......
"Where is your admin?", he asked.
I replied, "our admin is a great guy, but his life is so busy he can't always control the spam"
I gave the guy links and user names,... "poof"........ gone.
As time rolled by a second tech helped me as well.
They both gave me their direct email addresses.
Told me when ever I needed help to let them know.

Now and again I contacted them,.... spam,.... gone.

But, when Gary said, "I don't want anyone acting as a moderator or admin"
I pulled back and stopped asking those guys for help.
Figured if Gary found out somehow, I would be in big trouble.

How does that figure in?

If Gary hadn't of said that, I would have kept on getting the spam and problem members handled.
It's not out of the question that at one point the provider would have offered me the position of admin.
I would have turned the keys over to you, and help delete spam when it popped up.

Just bad luck that they offered the position to Joe Sherrod.

And I can't go to those same tech guys for help, because now, to top it off, the forum has an admin.
If anyone approaches the provider for help it has to be the forum admin.

So Sven.
To put a sharper point on the pencil, It's not just the loss of the information threads I posted.
I posted a lot of good content.
31 years of experience in the hobby,......through the mindset of a precision machinist and toolmaker.

31 years of doing my best to do things right on the money.
Accuracy, repeatability, predictability, running the best set up possible.
It's what I do, it's who I am.
Everything I do, everything,.... I try my best to do my best.
I couldn't turn it off if you held a gun to my head.

I posted my insights from the field, side by side comparisons, precision testing, tech information that was single source.
Like how to put a current production Gold Bug coil on a vintage Garrett Deepseeker and have a set up so hot you can almost weld with it.
Dam thing sees hacksaw gold and sounds off like it was a house key.

Go ahead, try and find that "anywhere on the internet".
Forget that,..... try and find it "anywhere".

Gone

I held new members by the hand, new to the hobby as well. Bought a machine at a yard sale............
Gave them the layout, all the tricks, settings, swing, "mindset".
To have them find a bunch of coins, followed by a heavy mans gold ring where the grass meets the basketball court.

And I kept you guys laughing with my adventures after midnight in the crime ridden gang neighborhoods.
Flat on my belly amongst the monkey bars, police search light scanning the park, so glad I didn't use a white coil.
Waiting a glimpse of Steve McQueen as we make a break for under the wire.

My encounter with the skunk.
The coyote that would lay and watch me search from only 10 yds away.

My basic preparedness tips,.......... Like this tip for detecting in bad neighborhoods.

All part of my, "Treasure Hunters Lives Matter" program.

My preparedness thread.......... very popular if memory serves.

See that little flashlight in the second picture?
It's not really a flashlight.

Enough said about that.

I did my best to be a good member, did my share and then some.

And all my content gets deleted by someone who's idea of posting is saying just about anything, followed by and exclamation point.

I did my very best to contribute good content.

In the shadows of Allen Cannon, Rusty Henry, Keith Wills, Jim Straight, Carl Moreland, and others too many to mention, I did my best.

And all my content gets deleted by, (sorry), someone that has less common sense than God gave to a barbed wire fence.
The FBI, ok...., I'll take that laying down.
But someone who struggles to eat spaghetti without poking themselves in the eye with a fork?

That is too much to bear.
Makes me feel sick to my stomach

SandMan
March 29, 2017 02:42AM
Sven1
Tabman, it was the Compass Forum

Sven1
Sandman, I checked the Archives, snapshot of the pages were saved but the links don't lead to any posts, was hoping the links would work.
[compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com]]https://web.archive.org/web/20130813054148/[compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com][/url]

Like a bad dream that keeps getting worse.

I need to work on one of projects, maybe post some pictures.
March 29, 2017 02:50AM
Des D
This is a busy thread - goes to show still great interest in Tesoro

You have that right.
The one thing they really got out in front of is the light weight.
I know of advanced users that start having trouble with swinging a machine that years before was fine.
Those little machines from Tesoro put those guys back in the field.

That is a big plus for Tesoro helping users like that.

Could almost say owning a Tesoro can take 20 years off your life.

In a manner of speaking.

:-)
March 29, 2017 03:03AM
Know about all the spam, posted about it myself, nothing was ever done.
Since Joe took over, he was more or less blind to the workings of the forum. Few of those asked to help out declined.
I offered, and a number of forum members suggested Joe take me up on it.
So I was in, spent a bunch of time fixing things, now have full Admin rights. Joe more or less only approves those registering,
I double check to see if they are spamsters, so far keeping them out. I can't do anything about the past disagreements and deleted posts but, can keep it a stable
forum. There is a lot of valuable information on the Forum regarding Compass detectors and many others. It would be a shame to lose it all, that's another reason for
me becoming Admin.

Hopefully somewhere there's copies of your tech info that you could repost here at Tom's.

Works for me
March 29, 2017 03:29AM
Sven1
Know about all the spam, posted about it myself, nothing was ever done.
Since Joe took over, he was more or less blind to the workings of the forum. Few of those asked to help out declined.
I offered, and a number of forum members suggested Joe take me up on it.

Sven,

I can show you an email from me to Joe where I suggested you as well.
I wasn't trying to throw you under a bus, I only said that you were the most qualified.
That email went to a half a dozen members via BCC.

Well before this disaster happened.

Just bad luck

We have a saying where I grew up...................

"If you give a gun to a chimp, and the chimp shoots somebody, you can't blame the chimp"

Link
Poor Judgement
March 29, 2017 05:55AM
SANDMAN: One thing I noticed on Google is that you can find OLD posts from using keywords. Example: "Sandman tesoro".

Possibly might be able to find your relevant posts using correct keywords.

Just a suggestion Joe
March 29, 2017 09:07AM
DrJoeprime
SANDMAN: One thing I noticed on Google is that you can find OLD posts from using keywords. Example: "Sandman tesoro".

Possibly might be able to find your relevant posts using correct keywords.

Just a suggestion Joe

Ok Doc, I'm game.

"Tesoro By The Year"

I'll give it a go........

This came up.....

Detector Pictures - Tesoro By The Year

compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/Tesoro-By-The-Year-td7584987.html - View by Ixquick Proxy - Highlight

Tesoro By The Year. - deleted - ... Jan 21, 2013; 1:01am. Re: Tesoro By The Year . SandMan online. 1451 posts. This post was updated on Sep ...

And when you click on the search result......

"Tesoro By The Year"

Ok Doc, lets see how observant you are.
What can you tell by looking at that page of deleted posts?

Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc....... "Ding"

Times up

The answer is:

All of the posts were deleted at 8:22pm.......... except one.
The time on that one is 8:23pm, but it is stranded in with the rest.

That is an indication that the posts may have been manually deleted.
A blanket delete, all the posts would show the same time of deletion, within reason, there was a lot of content to delete.

Well, I double checked and it looks like all the posts were deleted at 8:22pm and 8:23pm.
So that looks like a blanket delete. It's just there was so much content that it took a while, not just in a blink of the eye.

10Khz Night In The Valley
10Khz Night In The Valley Part 2

It's like listening to one side of a phone conversation.
March 29, 2017 05:41PM
Sandman, I sympathize with your plight. All of Monte's excellent machine reviews/evolutions, can be found with some sleuthing. And those that take time to share like this should be given a medal ! smiling smiley

If you ever get around to re-writing it all, I'll be the first to buy you a 12-pack! And we'll alphabetize and collate and arrange into chapters, topics, etc.... Put it in a single source link and book. And from then-on-out, Monte and you can just refer people during future Q&A's, to the link ! Instead of having to laboriously type out the answer all over again, for people like the rest of us too lazy to key-word search for when the exact same questions came up in the past. Doh!
March 29, 2017 08:32PM
Tom_in_CA
Sandman, I sympathize with your plight.
All of Monte's excellent machine reviews/evolutions, can be found with some sleuthing.
And those that take time to share like this should be given a medal!

Real kind of you Tom, It's a bit like a first year driver, that backs into a restored classic car.
All you can do is put your hand to your forehead and say "Oh my God".

I have to say something right here.....

Here is a partial list of people that know, at the very least, 100 times more than I do.

Monte
Keith Southern
Jerry Talley
Keith Wills
Jim Straight
Rivers Rat
Tim Garton
Foil Finder
Paul (CA)
Tom (CA)

Brother, there are too many to even start a list.

You can bet there are thousands and thousands of guys I never met, or even know of that know a ton more than I do.

What do I bring to the table?

I do my best to share what I know, what I learn from doing research, and the knowledge I gleam from others that know way more than I do.
Insights from the field, observations of conditions, handling EMI, handling wildlife, handling the cops, magic ways to get permission, like that...
I tell funny stories, post a lot of pictures, and post reference material that is useful for people everywhere.

My experience is that I am an expert at park hunting. Every trick you could ever imagine and then some.
I have a knack to come up with a good set up for odd conditions, specialty set ups, so as to deal with unusual conditions.
Because I have a machine shop, I post step by step mods, with pictures and text.
I also advise how the same can be done by someone with just a drill press, or even less if need be.

In years past I have been paid to post.
All kinds of forums. I would post up nice threads, good spelling, nicely centered, lots of clear pictures, get people to laugh.....
That is how you stimulate others to do some posting. Get the place rolling, once the members were posting regularly, I'd move on.

I guess that made me a "shill". I was there to generate posting.

Back in the day my beautiful aunt Celina was a shill in Las Vegas.
She would sit at a table playing solitaire. Didn't take long for a man to come along, "playing alone?"
Then another, and another,... before you know it a game was pulling together, drinks were being ordered......
When the game was rolling along, my aunt would excuse herself to go to the powder room.
She would get another deck of cards, down the hall, around the corner, sit at a table, and start playing solitaire.

I miss some of those loss threads

Tom, I had a Gold Nugget thread over there. From the largest, to that little speck that a tuned up Fisher found, sits on the head of a pin.
And you know,.........who found it, where was it found, when was it found, what machine, where does it rank weight wise.

People like threads like that.
Everybody likes Gold.
March 29, 2017 08:58PM
Tom_in_CA
If you ever get around to re-writing it all, I'll be the first to buy you a 12-pack! And we'll alphabetize and collate and arrange into chapters, topics, etc.... Put it in a single source link and book. And from then-on-out, Monte and you can just refer people during future Q&A's, to the link ! Instead of having to laboriously type out the answer all over again, for people like the rest of us too lazy to key-word search for when the exact same questions came up in the past. Doh!

I will do what I can manage. I had more time to post back then, and I was all excited, you know what I mean.
A 12-pack!.........I was about to say the shipping would kill that idea, but you are over here by me, the post office will sit this one out,... LOL

What you wrote above there Tom, I often did this,... and it's pretty quick.

Someone asks, for example, "What coils are there for the Minelab Sovereign?"
Well over there I had a thread with all the Sovereign coils, with pictures and info.

Minelab Sovereign Coils

If the person asking is on another forum, I hyperlink the pictures and cut and paste the text.
Then at the bottom I put a link to the original.

A quick post like that gets more interest and generates more posting then just posting a link.
If the person asking is in the same forum, I post the link but add some text.
Responding to a question with just a link is just to barren looking, too stark.

Brother, I wish I could have those 5 years back.
The Official Word
March 31, 2017 12:58AM
The Official Word on the deleted threads and posts.

Sorry didn't have any luck getting your posts back.
Nabble Forums gives posters about a week after the posts are deleted to download them.
After that they get wiped off the server and are not recoverable.

Lesson learned
"Always back up your work"
"Keeping a link in an old email is not back up"

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Not even my worst enemy.

Sandman

Gone but not forgotten

March 31, 2017 02:42AM
thanx for the update Sandman. But don't be afraid to help in the Q&A forum-chit-chats in the future, just because of that one bad experience. The alternative of being a "lone ranger" and having no friends is also equally un-inviting. The friends and md'ing sites and cross-education is priceless. So don't be afraid to pen it again. Even if only various individual Q&A's.
March 31, 2017 03:42AM
Almost forgot I'm Southern.............

I don't give up so easy.

I have built a Global Access storage site to store valuable information for this generation and the next, and next, and next.........

Threads and complete sections will be built there, and moved here.
In a sense, they back up each other.

The information there will be in the form of a living document, being added to as information comes to light.
All are invited to pitch in.

Information
Photographs
Sales literature
Manuals
Reviews
Tests

I will give the keys to the castle to a chosen few so if something happens to me, the site lives on and continues to grow.

Advanced users speak up, let's record and preserve this knowledge for the ages.

I'm headed over there now to poke around.

Digger Data

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 09:07AM by SandMan.
April 04, 2017 02:46AM
Really starting to hit me just how much work, and time, it is to do this all again from scratch.

Brother, what a loss.

Gone