Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Impact Beyonder's "Iron Bane" program

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta Impact Beyonder's "Iron Bane" program
April 20, 2017 03:37PM
By studying the available videos and my experiences with the Racer 2, I have come up with some great ideas for settings. LET ME STRESS, I do not have a unit yet to test them with.

Beyonder's "Iron Bane"

The Purpose: To unmask good targets in heavy iron trash areas at medium depths(six-seven inches). Slow iron unmasking is this mode's strength.

Weakness: Not designed for deep targets. You need time to learn and get used to the vast amount of information that you will hear audibly. Due to the environment of heavy iron, the TID will be all over the place(Iron falsing is responsible for the most part).

Strengths: Unmasking, separation, and identifying iron.

The Waterproof 7.5x4'' DD Search Coil is highly recommended for this mode.

Settings:

Using GEN(D) mode with 2 tone disc could be the best of both worlds(see in "discrimination"). You will hear the iron and be alerted with high tone for conductive targets.

20 khz freq: This really is the best way to get separation in high iron trash.

Gain 85 or less: The lower the better. A lower gain narrows the detecting area. A higher gain can slow YOU down digging deep when you don't want to and muddy multiple target the are co-mingled. A lower gain also provides better separation.

A lower iSAT may give a better response to deep targets. (NOT 100% sure at this time).

Discrimination: Since 0-20 will be your iron tone, I would change the iron tone to 0-15. This will allow for deep small gold coins(which may ring in at 16-20 + on the TID).

In the field: Frequency shift(if needed) ground balance. Use the settings above, save(fd/save) and enjoy!

Questions, comments, concerns? Ask away...when I get the Impact LOL...IN ONE DAY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 03:23AM by Beyonder-Pa.
Re: Nokta Impact Beyonder's "Iron Bane" program
April 20, 2017 10:04PM
Heavy iron stay out of Gen modes..

Stay in Disc modes..two tone and my favorite 99 tones.. and 20Khz....use the 5x7 for maximum intelligent response if available...

The GEN modes can be mixed with disc Yet are not as TELLING in heavy iron as going straight to disc mode.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 20, 2017 10:11PM
"Please, just Post stuff (decent facts) only after use if you don't mind!"
April 20, 2017 10:42PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Please, just Post stuff (decent facts) only after
> use if you don't mind!"

I do mind. So if you don't like it, don't read it.
April 20, 2017 11:42PM
Rick and I have an iron/trash pit to hit next week, will be interesting to see how it goes. Barbers and seateds????

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 11:43PM by Jackpine.
April 21, 2017 02:04AM
It's an audio gain...Turning it down doesn't change the tx/rx of the coil, make the detection area lesser or the machine separate any better. It's red cousin separates just as good or better at 99 as 50, if the ears do their part.
April 21, 2017 08:45PM
Good info Keith. I'm getting ready to do a 3-day weekend detecting trip with my Impact (scheduled to arrive Tuesday).

One of the sites we'll be detecting has alkali soil, and heavy iron in some of the better areas. The soil seriously challenges my Racer2, and even more so my F75. The machines really struggle to get targets that aren't even deep. TID is pretty skewed, and you have to give it everything you have to have a successful detecting trip there. My buddy uses his trusty Minelab Exp2, and doesn't have any issues, but we all know how well they do in mineralized soil conditions.

My plan was to run the Impact in 3-tone mode using 20Khz and the 5x7 coil. I haven't clicked with 2-tone modes on any of my machines and feel that 3-tone provides better audio feedback to the operator. Most of the targets we're finding aren't deep, but I suspect it's only because the soil conditions are handicapping VLFs depth, I'm sure there are deeper targets. That said, max gain may not be the way to go, dropping it down to say 70 vs 99 might produce better results.

Any thoughts on the best way to set up the Impact to tackle this environment?

I can't wait to test the Impact out, lots of tools available in the toolbox to throw at these sites!

TIA,
Cal

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Heavy iron stay out of Gen modes..
>
> Stay in Disc modes..two tone and my favorite 99 to
> nes.. and 20Khz....use the 5x7 for maximum intelli
> gent response if available...
>
> The GEN modes can be mixed with disc Yet are not a
> s TELLING in heavy iron as going straight to disc
> mode.
>
> Keith
April 22, 2017 03:37AM
In alkali soil, I'd think you would want to at least TRY the COG (Conductive Ground)
mode of the Impact. That's what it is supposed to be for (and also salt water beaches),
according the Impact User Manual.
April 22, 2017 04:03AM
TallTom Wrote:
> In alkali soil, I'd think you would want to at lea
> st TRY the COG (Conductive Ground)
> mode of the Impact. That's what it is supposed to
> be for (and also salt water beaches),
> according the Impact User Manual.

Definitely will try it, but I would imagine it's the same as the BEACH mode on the Racer2. I tried BEACH mode there with my R2, and it didn't seem to make much difference, maybe they've tweaked it for the Impact, so worth another try.
April 22, 2017 06:23AM
You're right on both counts, I think.
1. It appears to be the same as beach mode on the Racer/Racer2, based on the User Manual description.
2. Maybe COG has been tweaked or improved somehow, although the Racer's beach mode works pretty well
(on my local salt water beaches, at least). Try running the Gain either much higher or much lower than
the default setting, too.
April 22, 2017 07:27PM
Something I find interesting about this alkali sand site is that it gives me the most trouble when it's dry. When it's wet, I get better signals. Last year I hit it in between rain storms, and to my amazement the quality of the TID and audio on target signals was greatly improved. Almost as if the rain had washed away some of the mineral salts that probably build up when it's dry. I could be wrong, but that was what I observed. It's funky soil for a VLF that's for sure.

I'll try COG mode next trip there, I wish they gave you the ability in COG to do 2 or 3 tones, I've just never clicked with 2-tone modes on any machine, but if it brings home the goods, I'm sure I could acclimate to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2017 07:29PM by Cal_cobra.
April 22, 2017 07:41PM
The COG ground is basically a low ground balance range and higher preset disc..

If you can get away with the machine in normal disc modes not falsing on the alkali.. like it would on say Wet salt I think the COG would be of no gain and maybe even loose some of the lower conductors..

I would only resort to Cog in SOIL if lower sens and higher disc did not take care of falsing on the soil...the cog also has some signal attenuation..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla