Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SAVING CONFEDERATE RELICS ONE AT A TIME grinning smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
SAVING CONFEDERATE RELICS ONE AT A TIME grinning smiley
May 13, 2017 11:37PM
Hey all,

farmers are all plowing/tilling and planting here now so I hit the old 1840s thru 1940s standby (long gone) ghost town today where I found that Block A Cuff Button last spring with the FR and today I pulled a Lined *I* Button from the dirt where the old Gen Store sat grinning smiley

Had the Deus and CTX out there today - found the button with the Deus using Deus fast program, 4 tones, GB running a point or 2 on the positive side.

All in all it was a good hunt/day - hit it hard for 5 hrs non stop in the machine-gun iron this site is notorious for.

Worth mention:
The Confederate Lined I button (mushed but intact)
A 1861 Foster & Metcalf Token (Grand Rapids Mich)
An ornate lead back rosette
A sundial w/roman numerals
Woman's Heal Plate
A Spencer Hull/Casing
3 Wheats from the teens/20s
Ornate buckle piece
rivets
bits/pieces of lead, brass, etc

Re: SAVING CONFEDERATE RELICS ONE AT A TIME grinning smiley
May 14, 2017 01:06AM
Great finds! Love the button.
May 14, 2017 01:39AM
Great work! Awesome finds.

Dean
May 14, 2017 05:00AM
Nice work, MRH; congrats on the I!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 14, 2017 02:11PM
Fantastic Wayne!!!!!
May 14, 2017 03:43PM
Man, you get good permissions. I like when you show the pottery shards and glass...kinda sets the period mood.
May 14, 2017 04:55PM
Great finds MRH and excellent report--continued good luck.
May 14, 2017 05:03PM
Congrats again Wayne!! I enjoy seeing your posts and seeing your finds as well. It is a great change of pace from what the forum gets bogged down into some times.
May 14, 2017 07:27PM
Nice..

They must of kidnapped a couple of Reb's and used that spot as an interrogation site!!

Imagine the agony those poor guys went through being taken from Gods County!!

Good deal!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 14, 2017 09:17PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice..
>
> They must of kidnapped a couple of Reb's and used
> that spot as an interrogation site!!
>
> Imagine the agony those poor guys went through be
> ing taken from Gods County!!
>
> Good deal!!
>
> Keith

Easy there ole boy.....Gods country is definitely south...but the Appalachians go up north too...It's a beautiful country all around, wouldn't you agree, my brother?
May 15, 2017 01:27AM
Thanks guys thumbs down

LoL @ Keith grinning smiley (I'd be more inclined to say souvenirs brought back from the war) VS your stated theory above!

Daniel = I agree, a change of pace around here is needed from time to time. I just wish more than a few of us posted more of our finds with a bit of story/etc. to go with. Would make for a more rounded forum instead of the same old shop talk on the latest/greatest tech and/or what USED to be/etc thumbs up
May 15, 2017 01:53AM
Just this week on one of the Facebook metal detecting groups, another fella from up north posted one of the best buttons I have seen dug in a long time. He didn't know what it was, was the topper of it all. He dug a Confederate Marine button. It has a little push in the face but when I saw it, I about had a fit. Some of those guys only know coins and have no idea what they are dealing with, with buttons and such. My guess is, he would have initially been happier with a Mercury dime lol. That is until he found out his button was probably still worth $6,000+ even with the slight pushed face.

That's the difference between here and some of the other places. Other places, people would say "oh wow, nice button, big congrats! What part of the state did you find it in?
If you ever need any help hunting the area, let me know" or something to that effect. On here some times, it would be more like "What kind of detector did you use, and what kind of tool did you use to recover it?" God forbid you say you dug it with a shovel cause your thread would be derailed. Haha.
May 15, 2017 02:32AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice..
> >
> > They must of kidnapped a couple of Reb's and us
> ed
> > that spot as an interrogation site!!
> >
> > Imagine the agony those poor guys went through
> be
> > ing taken from Gods County!!
> >
> > Good deal!!
> >
> > Keith
>
>
> Easy there ole boy.....Gods country is definitely
> south...but the Appalachians go up north too...It'
> s a beautiful country all around, wouldn't you agr
> ee, my brother?

Hey, I thought OR was Gods country!!grinning smiley------It's like my brother-in-law once said---God made ALL country beautiful--just different.-----Might get an arqument out of some folks over that statement though I guess.smiling smiley
May 16, 2017 12:56AM
Yeah Wayne most probably souvenirs.

But never know ..

I remember once talking to David Keith at Dixie Detectors and he told me a guy had just dug a Alabama Map on tree buckle up in Illinois..You jsut never know!!!

I also have another scenario..

I used to hunt a spot on the coast that was a town AFTER the Civil War....RIGHT AFTER....had a few period coins and alot of iron but not alot of OTHER TYPICAL 1860s STUFF but the big thing was the amount of Northern Buttons.....state seals ...MIchigan,,,Rhode Island,,,New York Etc and all types of General service and Eagle A's and I's ...

I would get about 50-70+ on a weekend hunt.I thought back them man why so many buttons there just everywhere..Finally figured out that the town was a Freed slave town...and the U.S. government gave them surplus clothing form the Southern Theatre of war...Well the Ex-Slaves had removed all insignia it so seems from the coats...

Im wondering if a Southern traveler maybe got up in cold Michigan with his only coat, maybe travelling after the war and thought maybe it would be best to remove the MILITARY trim Or someone removed it for him???You did say there was a depot there I believe??

Never Know!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 16, 2017 01:55AM
Nice saves Wayne
May 16, 2017 11:17AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Im wondering if a Southern traveler maybe got up i
> n cold Michigan with his only coat, maybe travelli
> ng after the war and thought maybe it would be bes
> t to remove the MILITARY trim Or someone removed i
> t for him???You did say there was a depot there I
> believe??
>
> Never Know!!
>
> Keith

Was a stagecoach stop/hotel across the street from this site Keith (N/E corner). The general store, livery, etc. sat on this site (N/W corner).
PO sat across the street (S/E corner) and town hall on the other (S/W corner) and there were a couple of houses sprinkled in as well as a cabinet/wood shop.
May 16, 2017 10:24PM
I like the advertising token, dated 1861. It's very similar in style to one I've found here in the U.K that's from that time period. It's a London hat-maker's one, offering "10% discount on your next hat purchase". The marble's nice, too, that's one thing I've yet to find over here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 10:25PM by Pimento.
May 17, 2017 12:13AM
sweet !