Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which machine has the most descriptive audio?

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which machine has the most descriptive audio?
May 21, 2017 09:05PM
I don't post much anymore because I don't get to hunt much anymore. When I was able to hunt a lot I was only really concerned with knowing whether the target was ferrous or non-ferrous when relic hunting or if it was a pull tab or a coin if coin shooting. Now that my detecting is somewhat restricted I have taken to trying to determine exactly what is in the ground before I dig. One of the things that keeps me from detecting as much as I'd like is my neck which as I've mentioned before is mostly titanium so constantly looking down at a meter is out of the question which brings me to my question.

Which detector has/had the most descriptive audio? It doesn't matter if it's old or new. I don't care if it's even out of production. I want to hear from those of you that have been detecting for many years. Which machine's audio tells/told you more about the depth, size, shape, material etc. of the target under it's coil?

Thanks in advance for your input guys.
Chris
Re: Which machine has the most descriptive audio?
May 21, 2017 09:17PM
I got to go with Minelab Etrac/Explorer series.
With the Sweet Silver warble and "Adjustable" Modulated Audio makes it easy to Cherry pick Deep Silver and other Goodies.
May 21, 2017 09:20PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got to go with Minelab Etrac/Explorer series.
> With the Sweet Silver warble and "Adjustable" Modu
> lated Audio makes it easy to Cherry pick Deep Silv
> er and other Goodies.

+1 ,,,,not to mention the adjustable threshold pitchthumbs down
May 21, 2017 09:31PM
Agree with all of the above that is said about the Etrac.------Only (possible) "downside" the Etrac might have for you is the fact that it is a little heavy & nose heavy (noticeable especially after a long hunt)--if that would be an issue for you.-------Other than that, it's a great machine for what it was designed for.------I've owned/used all the Explorers (and the CTX)----the Etrac is my favorite of the bunch.
May 21, 2017 09:31PM
Sovereign, then Explorer, then ETrac.

I also very much like the delta pitch mode of the F75, especially in CL mode, but, of course, it doesn't have the smooth rise and decay of the older Minelabs.
May 21, 2017 09:44PM
shoveler Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I got to go with Minelab Etrac/Explorer series.
> > With the Sweet Silver warble and "Adjustable" Mo
> du
> > lated Audio makes it easy to Cherry pick Deep Si
> lv
> > er and other Goodies.
>
> +1 ,,,,not to mention the adjustable threshold pit
> chthumbs down

+2 Although the Minelab Exp. II was said to be a tad-more sweeter on silver , versus Etrac. So that you could almost tell a copper penny or clad dime vs a silver dime.

Also surprised no one's mentioned the Teknetics mark 1. They had great tell-tale audio.
May 22, 2017 10:37PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I've owned a couple of Etracs in the past and agree with you all about the silver warble and the modulated audio. I've never had a Sovereign but I did have an Excalibur for a brief period and really liked the audio on it but never really tried it on land.

Maybe it's time to pick up a Sovereign or maybe try to find a good deal on an Etrac and try to do a lightweight straight shaft conversion or something.

Having said that in a way I'm with with Tom_in_CA. While I like and own/have owned Minelab's I'm surprised they're the only brand that has been recommended.

Again, I really appreciate the recommendations I've received so far but I'm open to any others you might have. I just want to make sure I've considered all my options before I perform surgery on an Etrac with a hacksaw and a soldering iron.
May 22, 2017 10:54PM
Pick up a used Sovereign and save $250 over the price of a used Etrac.
May 23, 2017 12:10AM
The Deus might be an ergonomic consideration. Audio is very digital but it does have what everyone calls the "round sound" on targets that seem to be worth the effort of digging for the most part. There is a good deal of info about depth , size and desirability of targets on the small screen and you don't have to necessarily look down to see it if you detach it from the handle and hold it in your hand or use one of the arm band options. Loves aluminum however
May 23, 2017 12:50AM
The Deus in full tones is very discriptive. It's very lite weight also if having health issues.
May 24, 2017 12:31AM
Teknetics Mark 1 gets my vote..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 24, 2017 02:23AM
I agree w Keith, that Mark 1 had the best tones ever.

Aaron
May 24, 2017 03:43AM
Sovereign!
May 24, 2017 06:13AM
Nautilus DMC IIB but has slow recovery speed so only for clean patches. Stereo mixed mode working very good and all sounds are very comfortable for user.

Nokta Impact with good headphones works for me perfect. I prefer it than Deus, but multi tones are best audio line on market.
May 24, 2017 07:01AM
This is great, thanks for the new recommendations guys.

1. Again, I think a Sovereign might be worth a shot. Can anyone tell me the details/differences between each of the models?

2. I've never even seen a Teknetics Mark 1 much less heard one. Does anyone know of a video or maybe even an audio file of one they can point me toward? I'm actually pretty anxious to check it out..

3. I've got a Deus and it's a great detector but as Shoveler said the sounds are digital and I've never really gelled with them. I put up with them because I really like the detector's flexibility and lightweight design. I've also got a Goldmaxx Power and I like it's audio more than that of the Deus. Also, it may be that I've just never swung the GMP's coil over a deep good target but it's never proven itself to me as a deep detector. Having said that, as everyone knows, it's hell on wheels in heavy iron so it does have its place.

4. Shelton, I've got a great Nautilus DMC-2b and it's one of my favorite detectors. As they say, there's no school like the old school and when it comes to detectors the Nauty is the Headmaster. The dual mode stereo audio is super descriptive IF your dirt is mild and, as you said, the target is fairly isolated.

5. I still have not been able to talk myself into pulling the trigger on the Impact. Tom's write up and those of others on this forum make it sound great but the sheer number of them that are being sold used almost immediately after being purchased/delivered has been one of the main drivers behind my decision to bide my time and see how things shake out.

Thanks again guys and please keep the suggestions coming.

Chris
May 24, 2017 09:25AM
The Rutus Alter 71, running dual mode, disc and all metal with 120 tones, way more info than my brain can handle!
May 24, 2017 09:31AM
Yes that is true.
May 24, 2017 10:13AM
Neugene Wrote:
> This is great, thanks for the new recommendations
> guys.

>
> 2. I've never even seen a Teknetics Mark 1 much le
> ss heard one. Does anyone know of a video or maybe
> even an audio file of one they can point me toward
> ? I'm actually pretty anxious to check it out..
>
>
> Thanks again guys and please keep the suggestions
> coming.
>
> Chris

https://www.treasurelinx.com/tk.html

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 24, 2017 11:35AM
The Mark 1 is mid 80s tech, very ergonomic un-friendly, and highly collectible. Not necessarily a practical detector.
I've always wanted one LOL

AARON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 12:27PM by Aaron.
May 24, 2017 12:11PM
The ET doesnt give that same silver tone on deep silver. ...... but it reduced the out of the box learning curve. The Exp II had the best standard coil until the Pro Coil was introduced. As for the Sov...... its a great beach machine because of target separation near the pull tab range. I like the CTX because its just a very good all around machine with the advantages of the Exp, plus a faster processor and some tone adjustments you cant get on other machines. If you cant hunt an area with a CTX....... chances are you cant hunt it period.

Dew
May 24, 2017 02:51PM
Come on guys beep and dig Tesoro's tell a lot from the audio....Sov. was the only unit that told me a silver coin was to be dug. Sure Explorers along with the visual and some ID units help but the question was audio interpretation....
May 24, 2017 04:56PM
The Sovereign has a language all it's own.
But you have to learn the language by using it in the field.

The Mark 1 gives plenty of accurate information.
Not too much of a learning curve.

The old trick with the Mark 1,.....
An index card taped over the meter face, taped at the top.
Get a signal, make a judgment, flip the card up, read the meter, dig the target.

The user plays both teacher and student.

SandMan
May 24, 2017 07:47PM
Here's some more sweet audio..

But look what it brought..

[www.ebay.com]

Want to have some fun in iron on the cheap with analog audio and user defined tone break on the cheap..

Treasure Cove Fortune Finder Metal Detector (Model: TC-1020) [www.amazon.com]

Fun fun fun to about 6 or 7 inches..IN IRON..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 07:52PM by Keith Southern.