Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cleaning a stinky detector.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cleaning a stinky detector.
June 02, 2017 01:23PM
I just got another machine yesterday, as soon as I opened the box, I knew I had a stinker thumbs up This is the worst one yet, I wiped everything down with clorox wipes twice, but, when I opened my closet it still reeks of stale cigarette smoke. Any suggestions from anyone else who's found something that removes the smell is appreciated.
Re: Cleaning a stinky detector.
June 02, 2017 02:38PM
I smoked for about 20 years and never realized how it make everything around you stink sooo much. It's very hard to get the stink off. Most is probably in the grip and the rubber pad on the arm cuff. you might try rubbing alcohol . Good luck.
June 02, 2017 02:45PM
Dryer sheets
Vinegar
WD-40
The three of those can do everything
June 02, 2017 03:35PM
I second the vinegar while it stinks itself it will remove cigarette stink and the vinegar smell only lasts shortly.
June 02, 2017 03:43PM
Might try Febreze....careful with WD-40 as it can cause damage internally and externally.
June 02, 2017 08:39PM
I have used Febreze with good results. I disassemble the detector, take a washcloth and spray the Frebreze on it, and wipe each piece of the detector really well.
You may have to do this a couple of times, depending on how bad it is. Then I finish with a cloth with some Armorall on it. Reassemble it and you should be aok.
Jeff
June 02, 2017 08:47PM
Thanks guys for the input that's exactly what my wife told me to do is clean it with either vinegar or Febreze. I may have to throw the carry bag out. I washed it twice in the washing machine and it still smells just as bad.
June 02, 2017 08:48PM
I believe this a first on this forum....stinky detector...funny.
June 02, 2017 09:25PM
I have had to leave the carry bag open outdoors for six weeks or more after washing to get it into the house.

Good luck.

HH
Mike
June 02, 2017 10:19PM
shoveler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dryer sheets
> Vinegar
> WD-40
> The three of those can do everything

You forgot duct tape.
June 03, 2017 01:08AM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> shoveler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dryer sheets
> > Vinegar
> > WD-40
> > The three of those can do everything
>
> You forgot duct tape.

If you spray a dryer sheet with WD-40 and then dip it in vinegar it turns into duct tapesmiling smiley
June 04, 2017 03:49AM
Guess I've gotten lucky to never get a smelly used detector.

Dan's advice is thumbs down, no WD-40 on a detector ever.
June 04, 2017 04:52AM
Scent Away....laundry soap and spray, usually can be bought as a kit....its in the hunting section, most any Wal Mart/Academy Sports etc... stuff is amazing at removing odor from just about anything A-Z.
June 04, 2017 02:36PM
Used car dealers use a spray for their sales...Might ask around and they may share what they use...Wife got this info on facebook...
June 04, 2017 08:43PM
Never used it myself, but here is something that is made just for removing the odor.
www.vamooseproducts.com/
June 06, 2017 12:08AM
Careful of the strange sprays... some will stain plastic, including displays.
June 06, 2017 12:22AM
I wiped it down twice with fabreze, that seems to be working for now. I washed the carry case again but added some bleach then left it in the sun for 2 days, so far so good.
June 08, 2017 10:41PM
Put in in a box with a open box of baking soda for a few days..

Couldnt hurt..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 09, 2017 05:56PM
After you get a couple of them you just start asking the seller's smoking status as part of the deal. Nothing worse than an ex smoker's nose. I think we are hyper sensitive.

HH
Mike
June 10, 2017 09:37PM
Ok,.. I'll jump in

Plenty of good ideas above so you are set with that.

Then there is this......

LOL

Oh, no need to mention that in the first picture it looks like, it's night time, and I'm on the inside of a security fence looking out.

It's just lens flare.
June 10, 2017 10:04PM
Bring out the tomato juice and hydrogen peroxide.
June 10, 2017 10:07PM
Another product that I often go back to is a diluted mixture of Murphy's Oil Soap. Wring out a clean cotton towel and wipe everything down making certain that you don't get any drips into electrical connections.