Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This will be a first for me

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This will be a first for me
July 23, 2017 06:52PM
I have been detecting since the late 70's and have never had or even used a pinpointer. I done some wheelin & dealin with a fella and one of the items that I am getting is a Deteknix pinpointer. I doubt that after almost 40 years that I will be able to break the habit of waiving my coil over the plug and the hole. We will see.
Re: This will be a first for me
July 23, 2017 07:11PM
There's a reason their a popular item spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 23, 2017 07:27PM
I was a little late to the pin pointer game myself. Just the last 7-8 years since I started using one and I have been detecting since the early 70's. I, however, still wave my coil over the loose dirt and hole to determine which the target is in and then find it with the pin pointer. Would be lost without one today. You will be glad, better late then never. HH jim tn
July 23, 2017 09:08PM
"It'll make you more of a Pro clean and effective hunter both in terms of speed and leave no mess behind.
40 years ago I yearned for one, after I chased a signal for an hour!"
July 23, 2017 09:21PM
indispensible timesaver for me, weeks of extra swing time for you over all those decades would have resulted in many more keepers, lol
July 23, 2017 10:21PM
Started detecting in 1972 and just bought my first pinpointer this spring. Like you I just grabbed a hand full of dirt and waved it over the coil. Seeing how i just hunt fields in the spring and fall I just can't seem to get used to using it. I still like to wave the dirt over the coil. After 45yrs. I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
July 23, 2017 10:48PM
I have been using the Deteknix LI Wader pinpointer for little over a year and maybe a bit.
This is my first ever pinpointer, resisted getting one. A free sample, I'll try one.
It sure comes in handy every few holes where the target is not straight done. And use it also in tandem with the search coils edge.
No more wasting time wondering where in the hole the target is. easily finds those targets off to the side of the hole, in the plug or if its deeper than you dug.

After 48 years of digging, should have tried a pinpointer sooner.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 23, 2017 11:02PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It'll make you more of a Pro clean and effective
> hunter both in terms of speed and leave no mess be
> hind.
> 40 years ago I yearned for one, after I chased a s
> ignal for an hour!"

A much overlooked point!!
The pinpointer has probably saved access to more sites than not using shovels , using drop clothes and preaching correct recovery methods have combined.
I think they should be required detecting equipment.
July 23, 2017 11:07PM
They sure Save a lot of time finding a Coin in a pile of dirt. And as metioned. above still in the Hole.
Get a kick out guys still waving hand fulls of dirt passed a coil. To each His own.
July 24, 2017 01:15PM
It took me about 10 minutes to wonder how I ever did without one for all those years. Can really speed up the recovery, especially the small tricky targets.
July 24, 2017 02:30PM
Lets put it this way"Don't leave home without one''.........mine quit due to a bad battery and was a miserable hunt last time out....
July 24, 2017 09:24PM
Lol

Funny how everyone has different views on these things.

I dug from 1977 to 2010 (33 yrs) with no pinpointer whatsoever and then bought my first when I bought an ATP but it's still not a "must have" for me as 98% of the time it just sits in the holder with the other stuff I never use strapped around my waist.

To me it's more or less just another one of those gimmick items they get you to fall for to make extra $$ off you (and a million others) grinning smiley
July 25, 2017 12:17AM
I started using one about 5 years ago. Ive been digging since the early 80's.They are handy but half the time I don't use it.
HH
July 25, 2017 03:02AM
95% of Long Time Relic Hunters here in V.A. never use pin pointers we use our hands. I love watch Y Tube VID with people use pin pointers more than machine and spent 5 min digging each target!!!!!!
July 25, 2017 03:33PM
I started this wonderful hobby in 1971. There was no such thing as a pinpointer back then. I wish there would have been! The first one I ever had was an Automax. You know where that one came from! It was not the greatest, but it worked. As soon as a better one came out, I snagged it! It was a Tinytec Ultra Deluxe, which I still own and it still works. I do not use it and really should sell it) and after that, there were several more that I tried out. I used them and have to admit, they did speed my recovery time and I got spoiled to them. My latest is the MI6 to complement my Deus and I absolutely love it! I could not nor would I ever go out without my pinpointer. I have a couple of hunting buddies that resisted getting themselves a pinpointer but after they did, they both admitted that they should have gotten one a long time before they did, Yes, there are still a few that refuse to get themselves a pinpointer and just refuse to use one. I actually have the Deteknix and only keep it as a backup. For the money, it is a really good pinpointer. Hey, to each his own! I bet you are going to love it!
July 26, 2017 04:55PM
Hey Ski !!! Long time Buddy. You will enjoy it.