Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ticks

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ticks
August 21, 2017 12:48AM
How does everybody here deal with ticks when out detecting?

Rick
Re: Ticks
August 21, 2017 02:32AM
This past month I met with Monte and about a dozen others to hunt some ghost towns it the Northwest. I had read that they were having lots of ticks this year so after some research I bought a 24 oz spray bottle of Permethrin off of Amazon. It doesn't just repel ticks but it kills any that crawl onto your clothing. You spray it on wet and then let it dry. It has no smell and will stay effective on you clothes for 6 washings. I sprayed my bluejeans and my boots. I was also wearing snakegards over my jeans and over the course of a few days hunting I only found 2, both between the jeans and the snakgards, and both dead. I did get one on my arm and I used the "Tick Twister" tool to remove it. The Tick Twister works great!
August 21, 2017 08:59AM
I stay out of their habitat. PA leads the nation in Lyme Disease. I will not wear poison. Anything that kills a tick can't be good for a man. This is a hobby. Between the ticks and poison ivy and oak Summer is not a season to to hunt here. Beach hunting fills the void. In yards the plugs turn brown from the heat. The fields are full of crops. All I put up with now is drunks on beaches and their pull tabs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2017 09:33AM by goodmore.
August 21, 2017 10:20AM
I have been using permethrin for years now for tick control.

I buy the Sawyers from wallyworld.

Have had successful use using this detecting, picking blackberries and digging ginseng.
Here is how I apply.

For more open field detecting, spray just a little on the bottom of pants leafs and tops of shoes/boots.
Add just a tad on center of back of waist.
Good to go.

For hunting like in the woods were one will be around bushes and limbs.
Same application as above except spray just a touch on each shoulder.

It doesn't take very much of this stuff.

I don't put a lot of faith into multi day protection.

But since I wear different clothes everyday, no real biggie.

Above application procedures does provide all day protection.
Do not apply to skin.

Now, this stuff works great for ticks, chiggers too.

It is possible with the limited area application I state here, for permethrin, a person might still have a mosquito problem around the face ears, and neck area.
I recommend using DEET products for these areas applying directly to skin.

One reminder here, be very careful of applying say anywhere where you may wipe with your hands and then rub your eyes. Even applying DEET products to your forehead not a good idea.
Sweat can run down and get this stuff in your eyes.

Also remember DEET products can damage plastics like your " detector screen, etc"
Will also take finish off of gun stocks,,been there and done that.
August 21, 2017 11:41AM
I'm in PA and the ticks have never been so bad. The deer ticks are the ones that carry Lyme's..... Knock wood, I haven't seen any of those this year....dog ticks, different story.

I use Deep Woods Off, (dark green spray can) and have for many years. I put one can in each door of the truck, one for passengers, one for me. Spray it on boots and pant legs and no ticks. I also spray it on my hat to keep the gnats away. I don't spray on my skin.
August 21, 2017 12:02PM
Good info guys, thanks.
August 21, 2017 10:39PM
I pull em off when I get home...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 22, 2017 07:33AM
Ok few more words. DEET doesn't work with ticks! Only Permethrin. But you have better solution special clothes. I'm using one. Special two pieces uniform (camo pattern) with mechanical traps... filled permethrin. No contact with skin, no mosquitoes bytes - special material.
August 22, 2017 07:50AM
August 22, 2017 09:41AM
Wearing that cammo in the Summer heat just doesn't sound like fun. Hobbies should be fun. The targets have been in the ground for a 100 years. They can wait until Spring thaw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 05:29PM by goodmore.
August 22, 2017 10:44AM
Shelton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok few more words. DEET doesn't work with ticks! O
> nly Permethrin. But you have better solution speci
> al clothes. I'm using one. Special two pieces unif
> orm (camo pattern) with mechanical traps... filled
> permethrin. No contact with skin, no mosquitoes by
> tes - special material.

Bingo Shelton.
My experiences as well.
I have put whole cans of DEET products on my body (skin and clothing) and it don't seem to phase ticks, especially deer ticks.
Just a dab of permethrin takes care of business.

There is another chemical out there that works well too, but slipping my mind right now.
Have used it a few times and it worked well.
Over time, I have felt more like a chemist trying to find something to handle the ticks.
Permethrin materializes and was not a hoax thank God for tick control.
I have even tied diesel fuel and even kerosene soaked rags around my ankles.
Works too for ticks and chiggers.
Don't recommend to folks here.
Besides smelling like a truck stop, doing this will blister your skin and can be bad too.
Us hillbillies spend lots of time outdoors, and these darn coyotes and turkeys seems have brought this new breed of tick here,,small bugger too. Stings on contact when crawling.
Little speed demons too for their size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 10:49AM by Sod-buster.
August 22, 2017 11:32AM
Another substantiation for spider kind bugs is Akarcyd. Kills all spider kinds bugs and their grubs. Farmers use it to protect plants.
August 22, 2017 01:07PM
Where can you purchase Permethrin (what stores)?----I don't have account to purchase off the internet.
August 22, 2017 01:12PM
Amazon.
August 22, 2017 01:37PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where can you purchase Permethrin (what stores)?--
> --I don't have account to purchase off the interne
> t.

Wallyworld has it.
Usually back around camping supplies.
Yellow box.
Sawyers.

You will like, guarantee it. For chiggers and ticks.
Also hearing from trusted source,,,DON'T spray this stuff around cats.
Evidently it acts as a nerve agent to them, will harm or kill.
[www.walmart.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 01:45PM by Sod-buster.
August 22, 2017 01:51PM
Make sure when you are done, throw your clothes/shoes in the dryer FIRST. Dry heat kills ticks. Also, as always, the best defense is knowledge:

[gearjunkie.com]
August 22, 2017 03:08PM
DEET is the BEST----------------------------------------fish repellent. Some studies have shown that fish are repelled by DEET. So be careful when handling your bait--especially live bait.
August 22, 2017 05:21PM
I use to work for the Mo. conservation Comm. some years back before Deet and would use Garlic pills from drug store started in late Feb. and use them thru nov. and give them to my dogs and cats. and horses some,.repells ticks and they had non smelly pills back then so you could keep your friends close. shortribs.
August 22, 2017 06:16PM
You can sue some other herbs also.
August 23, 2017 01:44AM
I know of at least 8 people that have had Lyme including my son. I would say half saw the bullseye rash. None of them ever saw the tick that made them sick. Nothing to mess around with.
August 23, 2017 06:34AM
The problem is simple... larvaes... this tick stage has 1mm... and is Lyme source also. You didn't see it.

Another insect is horse fly... also Lyme carrier... Mosquitos also, but not by byte. They have Borelia into stomatches... if you kill it at blood soucking moment all stomatch content is going straight into the wound... they don't tell you about it in TV or in hospital. Sorry mate.
August 24, 2017 07:41PM
I do use to put strong reppelents on my cloth, then but it in hermetic plastic bag to get soaked for 8-24 hours
The main idea is to put reppelents on cloths at places that could be used by ticks to travel to yr skin.

Ticks are really bad in St.Petersburg. Enthefalitis vacination is another must have