Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Blendy Bleedy Racer 2 find.....9/8/17 Small cuff Railroad button....9/10/17 back to the Curry comb site Nice surprise

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I was using the Racer 2 in a house site on a Civil War Battlefield

And its quite the nuisance to hunt as it's been trashed by deer hunters too over the years

I was running three tone 99 sens with the WORLD CLASS 4.5x5 coil attached and having fun digging what the other units have left in the nail areas lots of little buttons and finial pieces and harmonica pistol bullets silver etc.....To me the R2 with that coil has no equal in unmasking especially low conductors...that one setup is Stellar on unlocking with ease...

But anyways I got this deep big size signal with the Flutey tones..not the flip flop but the blended tone of low and high but very nuanced like a mix metal sound not a false big iron sound.. about a foot deep pops out the Curry comb....I Love to dig these devices as I love cavalry associated/potential Pieces...

thought I would share a quick Pic to show you Tonal quality at depth..this place is loaded with big iron false's deep but the Way the Racer talks to you you can be selective..

2017-09-04_01-48-21 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 02:13AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Blendy Bleedy Racer 2 find
September 05, 2017 02:26AM
The R2 and the snake are untouchable in the iron
September 05, 2017 02:37AM
Hey Kickin..

Yeah I've thought about that Snake since it does wonders to the T2 on silver lock....

I just don't know if it would Separate like the OOR5???

The R2 has some of the best tonal blending of any unit I've ever had with that OOR on it..Really in a league of its own it that discussion..

I may locate one and do some side by sides sometime and just see...I'm really interested in the 5x10 Nel sharpshooter as it wont float like my 6x10 Makro will...that 's one machine with that shape coil on the salt water that still hits gold well being a vlf...runs smooth at least in the Gulf!

Thanks for the info!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 05, 2017 02:44AM
Cool artifact there Keith thumbs down

The R2 is about the only Nok/Mak unit I've not ran "yet" but from all I've been seeing/hearing I'm thinking about getting one to use in the heavy iron sites and keep in the truck as a scout.
September 05, 2017 02:57AM
Nice, seen a nice one dug 20 feet from my driveway in a hunt,
September 05, 2017 03:55AM
Hey Keith I've personally ran the snake on the R2, it's a game changer just like it is on T2-classic. OregonGreg and Monte did some testing. Nel snake out performs oor coil, the 5" nel Sharpe coil will smoke em all. Maybe Oregongregg will jump in and shine some more light on the testing he and Monte did.
September 05, 2017 01:03PM
Hey Keith----If you love the Snake on the T2----you would LOVE, LOVE the Snake on the R2--it's incredible in the iron (IMO).---Speakin of love--I would really love to have you give a report on R2/OOR5 & (versus) R2/Snake.---Hope you do it.-----------Del
September 05, 2017 01:49PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
" I was suing the Racer 2"

Keith, I feel the same way on the days I get skunked.

Also, you have described it best/put into words about the tone(s) of the Racer 2. People have asked me and I know in my head what I wanna say, but never comes out that way. I will refer them to this post. I wish I had your ability to describe things.

First off, any small coil on the Racers rather the Makro coils or the NEL coils, that machine is going to do pretty darn well out in the iron infested sites. Any of the small coils will easily pass the standard Nail Board Test ( Test with Zinc penny in #1 position ) But for fun, we decided to do what I call the "un-standard test" Instead of the zinc penny we replaced it with a Half-Dime, a small thin silver US Coin. We then added in a 5th nail, a small bent horseshoe nail. We placed it approx. 2" to the right of the #1 position, halfway towards the largest nail.

We would run each coil thru the test and after each time start moving the small bent nail closer to the coin. We kept doing this until it was the last coil standing.

I was caught off guard somewhat while doing this test and it showed that a coil on one machine does not work the same on another machine. Before we started I guessed that it would be the "oor" coil ( 4.7x5") that would last the longest. I was wrong.

The results were the 4.7x5" "oor" coil fell out 1st, followed by the Makro 5" coil, then the NEL Snake. It was the NEL Sharp coil that could still hit on that small thin dime when the horseshoe nail was almost but not quite touching the coin. Of the other two machines we had, the Relic with 5" coil and Fors Core with the 4.7 x 5" Coil it was the Fors CoRe with the 4.7x5" coil that could match the Racer with the NEL Sharp coil. It also showed that the 4.7x5" coil on a Racer does not give the same results as a 4.7x5" coil on the Fors CoRe. The Impact had just come out and at the time didn't have a small coil. The only small coil option then was the 4x7" coil and that 7" coil couldn't do what these smaller coils could.

Anyhow it was just a fun test, more for our curiosity. Like I said, I feel pretty confident with any of the small coils on the Racers while battling the iron etc at my sites. Also, we went out of the way to make this an extremely tough test. Not only did we add the small 5th nail, we also placed the nail board in a spot that had a chunk of ferrous junk in the ground and was located under the Nail Board on the upper right side. So for that exact set of circumstances, these are the results I got.

Keith, I have a Snake and Cors Point ( exact same as NEL Sharp) I could send over to you to play with instead of investing in more coils. If interested PM me an address to ship to. Would be interesting to see your thoughts on the small coils.

gregg
September 05, 2017 02:04PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
>.I'm really interested in the 5x10
> Nel sharpshooter as it wont float like my 6x10 Mak
> ro will...that 's one machine with that shape coi
> l on the salt water that still hits gold well bein
> g a vlf...runs smooth at least in the Gulf!
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> Keith

Keith, the new RC24 is better than the sharpshooter and RC26! IMO Distro hasn't ordered any in the US yet but can be had direct from turkey dealers.
September 05, 2017 05:02PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >.I'm really interested in the 5x10
> > Nel sharpshooter as it wont float like my 6x10 M
> ak
> > ro will...that 's one machine with that shape c
> oi
> > l on the salt water that still hits gold well be
> in
> > g a vlf...runs smooth at least in the Gulf!
> >
> > Thanks for the info!
> >
> > Keith
>
> Keith, the new RC24 is better than the sharpshoote
> r and RC26! IMO Distro hasn't ordered any in the
> US yet but can be had direct from turkey dealers.

Craig----In what way(s) if this new RC24 better on the R2 than the Sharpshooter?
September 05, 2017 07:24PM
I've been using the Racer, Racer 2, and now the Impact since they each came out. I was an OOR fan until I got the CORs Shrew (Nel Snake). My OOR and Makro 5" round just sit on the shelf now. I'm also a fan of the Sharpshooter on my Racer 2. I prefer it over the Makro 5.5" x 10" solid coil. I do have the 4x7" and 5x10" for the Impact but I'm waiting for the 7" concentric to become available for the Impact.
September 05, 2017 09:59PM
Ahh All good feedback..

And thanks to Oregon Greg for the Kind offer..I wouldn't want to take your implements from you though, It would probably put you at a loss for a week or so..

I also wonder if the Snake would not unmask with an air-gap slightly better than the round 5" of either Makro or Nel..

That's what I see on T2 with 5' round factory when I go against the Snake...The Snake offers better separation at depth and more stable LOCK ON..not great depth but standard type hunting ground cover condition depth like through the leaves and 5 inches down..

Yes the CoRe is also a site slayer with the OOR in use..

I use my units as tools for the job at hand and since inception the small coil on Racer's has always been the heavy iron Picker..

I like simplicity and performance and that's what the Racers bring to the table..I really liked the Red Racer for this ..then when the R2 was being developed and Alper listened to the wants and he left the Red racer DNA like it was but gave us the added options of tone break adjustability and HZ assignment and the DEEP mode..

To me the Racer series is a blend of T2/F75 Performance and Deus type audio without becoming fiddly(IN OTHER WORDS NOT A LOT OF EXCESS BAGGAGE) ...and that's a GOOD blend..

Very accurate ID system and In a league of its own audio really...The Impact audio is more refined but after hours and hours I like the R2 audios more analog blend and bleed feel..

Yes I am wanting to try the 7" Con. on the Racer...

I've also noticed on the Racer if I may pass it along ?? is if you have EMI issues at higher gains above 70 especially on deep and two tone mode. try to find the best freq for less EMI then run sens to 01 and hit save....then turn back on and select the freq that was quietest and slowly ramp gain back up and it will help considerably with EMI...Not that its EMI prone but I do run into areas where it gets chattery and that seems to somehow by gradually coming up in gain help to overcome it...usually Freq 4 is my magic High gain setting..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 05, 2017 10:54PM
Keith............ that's a very good observation. I call it run-away regenerative feedback. This holds true with a lot of different brands/models.
September 06, 2017 07:17AM
Thanks for the EMI tip.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Ahh All good feedback..
>
> And thanks to Oregon Greg for the Kind offer..I wo
> uldn't want to take your implements from you thou
> gh, It would probably put you at a loss for a week
> or so..
>
> I also wonder if the Snake would not unmask with a
> n air-gap slightly better than the round 5" of eit
> her Makro or Nel..
>
> That's what I see on T2 with 5' round factory when
> I go against the Snake...The Snake offers better s
> eparation at depth and more stable LOCK ON..not gr
> eat depth but standard type hunting ground cover
> condition depth like through the leaves and 5 inch
> es down..
>
> Yes the CoRe is also a site slayer with the OOR in
> use..
>
> I use my units as tools for the job at hand and s
> ince inception the small coil on Racer's has alway
> s been the heavy iron Picker..
>
> I like simplicity and performance and that's what
> the Racers bring to the table..I really liked the
> Red Racer for this ..then when the R2 was being de
> veloped and Alper listened to the wants and he le
> ft the Red racer DNA like it was but gave us the
> added options of tone break adjustability and HZ a
> ssignment and the DEEP mode..
>
> To me the Racer series is a blend of T2/F75 Perfor
> mance and Deus type audio without becoming fiddly
> (IN OTHER WORDS NOT A LOT OF EXCESS BAGGAGE) ...a
> nd that's a GOOD blend..
>
> Very accurate ID system and In a league of its own
> audio really...The Impact audio is more refined bu
> t after hours and hours I like the R2 audios more
> analog blend and bleed feel..
>
> Yes I am wanting to try the 7" Con. on the Racer..
> .
>
>
> I've also noticed on the Racer if I may pass it al
> ong ?? is if you have EMI issues at higher gains a
> bove 70 especially on deep and two tone mode. try
> to find the best freq for less EMI then run sens t
> o 01 and hit save....then turn back on and select
> the freq that was quietest and slowly ramp gain b
> ack up and it will help considerably with EMI...No
> t that its EMI prone but I do run into areas where
> it gets chattery and that seems to somehow by grad
> ually coming up in gain help to overcome it...usua
> lly Freq 4 is my magic High gain setting..
>
>
> Keith
September 06, 2017 06:12PM
Tom..

Yes the F75/T2 for sure likes a slow RAMP on gain..

Mike

give it a go

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 06, 2017 10:04PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Keith Southern Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >.I'm really interested in the 5x10
> > Nel sharpshooter as it wont float like my 6x10 M
> ak
> > ro will...that 's one machine with that shape c
> oi
> > l on the salt water that still hits gold well be
> in
> > g a vlf...runs smooth at least in the Gulf!
> >
> > Thanks for the info!
> >
> > Keith
>
> Keith, the new RC24 is better than the sharpshoote
> r and RC26! IMO Distro hasn't ordered any in the
> US yet but can be had direct from turkey dealers.

I think I picked up your RC24 demo coil on ebay. I got back last night from a ghost town trip to the desert (where it was cooler then the bay area buy 15-25 degrees!!!). I tested it at one ghost town site, and I didn't find too much with it, but it wasn't the coils fault, it's just a heavily detected site.

On another note, I used the CORS Shrew coil (aka NEL Snake) and did well with that coil in an extreme iron area....a desert dump, iron like you can't imagine. Most folks sift the dumps, but detecting can be good too if you have the patience and the right equipment, plus you don't get half as dirty detecting as you do sifting smileys with beer
September 07, 2017 02:03AM
I think on the Snake design Vs the 5" or so design is that the snake has that 3.5 inch width and and narrow detection field(does not pick up off the sides as wide and as far out as some coils of close to same size.....So on certain Target scenarios especially down the barrel type testing where the nail is in the WINDOW a long time Vs the coin it has an advantage..and especially on just plain rapid fire nail separation in any environ...yet the Coil is slightly longer than a 5" so in other scenarios the five may see a target the snake does not on same sweep..

This is why I like to on a site that's just riddled with nails come at it from every angle possible no matter what small coil you use...Yet the Snake at times can see what no other does on some target's..and it's the most difficult at times target to locate that it excels at if everything falls into place right in orientation.....

I remember I used to have a Fisher 3.5" for my 1265/66 and it was sweet!!Found things the 5 " did not in nails..

I'm still on the fence about the snake Vs my OOR...Just because I know what the OOR on the R2 sees that No other sees already At Pro ...I know what the snake does for the T2 yet the T2 never had a coil quite like the OOR Racers has..they have the 5" but is a little wider scan than the OOR...

The Makro OOR for the Racer is specifically tuned for the Racer..I wonder at times if the Nel coils they are using are maybe more Generic??By this I mean tuned for say the T2 at pro etc sort of middle fo the road.. and just put a racer pinout connector on it???I've had two snake coils for the F19/G2+ and they both caused slight issues with the memory retention of the unit's...it would correct itself after a second power off..but if you came from stock coil to snake made changes then turned machine off when you turned it back on it would go back to the stock coils last settings...Turn back on then make changes to programming again power off again and it would finally hold the snake settings??Made me wonder if there was a slight impedance problem..the other nel sizes never did this just the Snake and on the G2+/F19....

Goes back to the adage that manufacturers know how to build coils for their machines that after market guys sometimes may overlook...

Alper you want to build a 3" Racer coil????LOL

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 07, 2017 04:51PM
Keith a guy using the Tesoro Mojave with a 4" coil did great detecting at the dump, he got the 1909 Tonopah dog license, a merc, an IHP, a token, and all the usual bits and bobs.

I agree I'd rather buy a manufacturers coil vs after-market coils, but there are a few of them that are known to be excel . I like the Snake because not only does it excel in unmasking, but it's just enough larger then the OOR coil to cover noticeably more ground, which usually means more finds in my pouch at the end of the day.

That's bizarre behavior on the F19/G2+ with the NEL coils.

-Brian

PS - I had no idea what a Curry comb was, had to google that one confused smiley
September 07, 2017 10:11PM
Sounds good..

man those old Dog license if brass especially can be worth a few $$..

Yeah curry combs are horse brushes LOL...[picclick.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 08, 2017 12:26AM
Keith----The curry combs we had for the horses when I was a kid were the rounded ones.----Sort of rounded bands with teeth & affixed on a handle.-----The one you found is straight bands with teeth---must be really old.------Do you by any chance know when they changed the style or did they make them both in the same time era?-------Del
September 08, 2017 02:49AM
Hey Del those rounded one with multiple loops inside each other came along probably in the 1930s or so..they still make them..

The type like I have here square with brass teeth played out around the 1880s or so..then they started with the same design but used tinned teeth till about WW1 Period..

Every one I've ever found in a Civil War Cavalry Sites here in the south have been square with brass teeth..

this one came off a Battlefield where a Civil war period house once stood..It was slap fun to hunt along long time ago LOL...bullets buttons US buckle etc..

Is it civil war Period???good chance....is it Mid to late 1800s?? YES..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
September 08, 2017 09:36AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Hey Del those rounded one with multiple loops insi
> de each other came along probably in the 1930s or
> so..they still make them..
>
> The type like I have here square with brass teeth
> played out around the 1880s or so..then they start
> ed with the same design but used tinned teeth till
> about WW1 Period..
>
> Every one I've ever found in a Civil War Cavalry S
> ites here in the south have been square with brass
> teeth..
>
> this one came off a Battlefield where a Civil war
> period house once stood..It was slap fun to hunt a
> long long time ago LOL...bullets buttons US buckle
> etc..
>
> Is it civil war Period???good chance....is it Mid
> to late 1800s?? YES..
>
>
>
> Keith

Yeah, I was born in 1939 & that's the only ones I can remember--the rounded ones.-----The one like you found is a little before my time.smiling smiley-----Interesting to hear you tell of the time frame on them.-----Congrats on a great find!-------------Del
9/8/17 Small cuff Railroad button
September 09, 2017 04:47AM
Went to a spot where I had found a coat size Georgia railroad button last year..

Used the 3 tone 99 sens with custom breaks and Tone Hz..bad soil rocky dirt hard as a brick.3 bars 85 G.B....5x10 Solid DD coil

Button was about 8 inches deep...Suprsied me how loud it was sounded like a banger..you can see a nail rust stain beside it in hole..Read 58-65 ..I think the nail enhanced the signal..

2017-09-09_12-30-15 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Little cuff Pullman button..

2017-09-09_12-29-25 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

2017-09-09_12-29-59 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Here's' the coat Georgia Rail I found last year about 5 feet away about 2 inches deep LOL..

2017-09-09_12-29-40 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Here's an interesting read on Pullman employees...[en.wikipedia.org]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Re: Blendy Bleedy Racer 2 find.....9/8/17 Small cuff Railroad button
September 09, 2017 04:58AM
Sweet finds Keith
September 09, 2017 11:34AM
Nice Keith. Gilded? That soil looks like its next phase is to be rock.
September 09, 2017 01:45PM
Cool find Keith

8" on a small/cuff size button in your hard/clay red dirt is a feat to say the least thumbs down
September 09, 2017 07:15PM
Nice, love digging R.R. relics!!

Oddly even though we detect around a fair amount of R.R. towns, I've only seen one R.R. button dug, and it was by a newbie on their first trip to a ghost town (figures).
September 09, 2017 07:47PM
Excellent read about the Pullman porters thanks Keith
September 09, 2017 09:22PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Nice, love digging R.R. relics!!
>
> Oddly even though we detect around a fair amount o
> f R.R. towns, I've only seen one R.R. button dug,
> and it was by a newbie on their first trip to a gh
> ost town (figures).

I dug a spill of old railroad buttons, don't know how to add pics here tho.
9/10/17 back to the Curry comb site
September 11, 2017 02:12AM
Old house site just also full of iron big and little..

Really challenging site to hunt...I've hunted for 20 years or more I guess...

Been using the Racer 2 on three tone ...today used the 5x10 coil...in the thickest area..got a few pistol balls..Not shown..and cut brass not shown and melted lead not shown..

Here's the area..right on battlefield..
IMG_20170910_193948 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Neat little trunk keyhole..super low conductor reads 20 I.D..

IMG_20170910_195811 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

also a fired Three ringer
2017-09-10_09-35-08 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

then a nice surprise in the sea of iron..And the beauty of the Makro audio is you cna be selective on what you CHASE!!

IMG_20170910_193617 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

It's a Model 1842 Springfield .69 caliber Smoothbore Musket Butt plate ..

about foot deep or so..

heres some pics of it on initial wire brush cleaning..

IMG_20170910_205149 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

IMG_20170910_205227 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

IMG_20170910_205204 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

IMG_20170910_205220 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

R2 has brought the site back to somewhat life in lots of smaller finds and even larger finds like the curry comb which is a mixed metal and now the Relic iron Buttplate..

that's the beauty of SPECTACULAR audio it will let you hunt and find things that most machines either reject or sound like every other target in the site..

Audio signatures are everything on contaminated sites..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 02:15AM by Keith Southern.