Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I like the Deus handle!!!! (revised) But I dislike the TID

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I like the Deus handle!!!! (revised) But I dislike the TID
April 18, 2012 01:56PM
It's just a small thing, and has nothing to do with actual performance, I don't reckon, but man I'm glad that it doesn't have the good ol foam wrap handle that gets dirty quickly unless you wrap it with elecrical tape.
I have been hunting ALOT with the Deus. The digitial ID is just almost useless TO ME!!! I know that I'm a newbie. I need not be reminded. But I am use to swing the Teknetics G2 which gave reliable TID numbers. I mean.....YOU KNEW when you had a bullet or a CW button. Same with the F75SE. And the AT Pro. The other day, when I found that Martingale, I dug a piece of can slaw about 7 or 8 inches from the Matingale, BEFORE I dug the Martingale. The can slaw, or old foil wad, or whatever it was ID'd at 78!!!! I thought it was something good at first. After removing the can slaw, I swung across the hole and saw that everything was gone. Then I broaden my swing and pick up a signal in the 40's. I thought: may as well get rid of this trash too. I dug it up and it was the Martingale Eagle Heart. There was a nail or two in the hole too that I removed using my Garrett pinpointer. At that time I didn't realize that I had dug a good target. I was just cleaning out bad signals.
I went back today and dug alot!!! I filled up my nail apron twice! All junk. A few keepers that I don't know what are. Except for a couple of small leather strap buckles. But a whole lot of stuff ID's at 98 until I pull it out of the ground. Then, when I swing the coil across the cleaned target, it is in the 50's. So, I am learning to use this detector without relying on it's (in my opinion) poor ability at ID-ing targets in and among old nails.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 02:39AM by Kevin B.
Re: I like the Deus handle!!!!
April 18, 2012 06:17PM
Valid point. I agree.
April 18, 2012 06:31PM
Good point. I don't like the E-tracs foam, that thing takes on mud too easy.
April 18, 2012 06:37PM
The best 'foam' I ever encountered is on my circa 1992 White's. Thick, tough and cleans like a dream.
April 18, 2012 06:51PM
Yes comfortable and easy to clean,,,just pop the box of and hose the whole thing down.
April 18, 2012 07:08PM
Minelab X-terra series also has good handles.
April 18, 2012 08:18PM
The New goldmaxx power has the same stem and handle now. So a lot of people must like it also.

Tom in SC
April 18, 2012 08:25PM
I especially like the LTD SE handle the best, super soft easy to clean.
Re: I like the Deus handle!!!! (revised) But I dislike the TID
April 19, 2012 02:40AM
I have been hunting ALOT with the Deus. The digitial ID is just almost useless TO ME!!! I know that I'm a newbie. I need not be reminded. But I am use to swing the Teknetics G2 which gave reliable TID numbers. I mean.....YOU KNEW when you had a bullet or a CW button. Same with the F75SE. And the AT Pro. The other day, when I found that Martingale, I dug a piece of can slaw about 7 or 8 inches from the Matingale, BEFORE I dug the Martingale. The can slaw, or old foil wad, or whatever it was ID'd at 78!!!! I thought it was something good at first. After removing the can slaw, I swung across the hole and saw that everything was gone. Then I broaden my swing and pick up a signal in the 40's. I thought: may as well get rid of this trash too. I dug it up and it was the Martingale Eagle Heart. There was a nail or two in the hole too that I removed using my Garrett pinpointer. At that time I didn't realize that I had dug a good target. I was just cleaning out bad signals.
I went back today and dug alot!!! I filled up my nail apron twice! All junk. A few keepers that I don't know what are. Except for a couple of small leather strap buckles. But a whole lot of stuff ID's at 98 until I pull it out of the ground. Then, when I swing the coil across the cleaned target, it is in the 50's. So, I am learning to use this detector without relying on it's (in my opinion) poor ability at ID-ing targets in and among old nails.
April 19, 2012 02:29PM
What about his dislike of the TID???????????

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 19, 2012 04:16PM
I wonder if XP use the same 'processing' for the audio and ID, rather than the F75-style seperate process? It could be just down to the quantity of targets in the ground together.
April 19, 2012 06:06PM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if XP use the same 'processing' for the
> audio and ID, rather than the F75-style seperate
> process? It could be just down to the quantity of
> targets in the ground together.

I have noticed that I will get alot of strong signals and I will keep swinging over them since they are hi toned waiting on an ID. But no ID. I don't have my audio response super high (making deeper targets sound louder), about midway. I have zero aptitude concerning electronics such as this. But whatever governs the TID in these machines needs a good kick in the butt (upgrade). But I will say this. I get FAR more hi tones and mid tones in this nail bed where I had quit getting mid and hi tones (as many) with my other detectors that I have worked this site, and other trashy sites, with. So the Deus is bringing out many more good diggable signals. I am vey happy with that aspect. This detector has really shined for me as a nail bed working machine. Better than any other, IN MY OPINION. It truly has breathed new life into sites where I had quit getting signals! But I am sure that other things effect whether or not I will catch a signal or not. But the difference is significant. But the TID is lacking and doesn't give me much usable info. That's cool. I need to learn the sounds anyway. And this detetcor is determined to teach me to learn to use the sounds rather than the screen numbers. This doesn't make me want to get rid of this unit. But it makes me hope that I will get to use the little cable they put in the box enabling me to hook my unit up to my PC and download updated stuff.
April 19, 2012 06:53PM
I dont think the DEUS visual I.D. system is very accurate...I for one would rather it not be there...the tone I.D. seems way more accurate and the intended purpose of the machine for iron infestation hunting I doint think the I.D. system could be very accurate....

I think you will find the I.D. system works better at lower freq's...Not as many 98 category lump's...

I believe the original intent of the designer was to use the remote unit as a set up piece then turn it off...but has found people like to leave it on the pole fulltime...Sort of takes away from the design element...might as well just put a wire on the coil and left light weight box on shaft...and ran it off 2 AA's...But thats not the intent ...and I think it will take awhile for people to come to grip's with the idea these designeer has given the world...

Still not sure why the coin hunter's have jumped on this unit and tried to compare it to a etrac or explorer...I think from what the designeer has proven with his track record it's a artifact retriever in iron remember old coins are artifact's..simple...You can see this just from the 8 inch max I.D. depth...It's not designed as such...It will get alot of coins out of iron that the etrac explorer or cz or whatever misses but dont expect to do it with accurate I.D.

If the U.S. designer's would take a F75 give it 100 point's of iron resolution on the disc with the tone breaking at disc setting from low to high...dont go into foil range on disc...get rid of the I.D. give only 2 tone or mono tone ..Imagine what would happen?

More and more coin's would come out of the ground by fewer and fewer people...Make sense...also less profit for the Company...hardly anyone wants a machine without an I.D. meter...If you want I.D. accuracy at the cost of masking get the Etrac explorer cz...they are desiigned for such quest...But remember the best most valubale coin's/artifact's/ jewelry are going to be where people congegated for a long time and when that happen's the number 1most widely used metal in the world will be in abundance.( Iron)....

This designer knows what work's but it is going to take some experimenting on the user's behalf to change the practices they are used to or accustomed to if you want to get item's yet to be found...

I hope the designer does not stray off path trying to please the "coinshooter"..There's allready plenty of unit's for that...I hope he stays on intended path...
He has strayed abit with the DEUS from earleir design's...yet is staying true...

The xp company is the only company that builds a true iron infestation hunter with intended purpose that I am aware of right now...

Keith
April 19, 2012 07:43PM
I need to study more. I didn't realize that the XP Deus was designed to program with the little square unit.....switch it off....and start hunting using only the headphones. But it makes perfect sense I guess. I mean, the head phones are powered and somewhat programable.
I have some head phones in my car with the 1/8th inch jack for using with the Deus but I always use the Deus headphones. Don't really know why. I guess that I want to keep them together and have a unit w/ headphones that have no aggravating cables.
But seriously, I DO like having the fully prgrammable box attached to the rod. And the Deus headphones allow me to use headphones without having to worry about tangling up a headphone cord in the underbrush (which is very aggravating when seriously detecting in the woods)
April 19, 2012 08:07PM
Kev, for what its worth, my Omega has similar behavior in regards to aluminum can slaw/certain iron reading as high tone conductors even with/without max disc being used. At first, I was very frustrated by this. What I found after more time with the unit was that these 'falses' were easy to discern by watching the ID number variances. The 'false' signals will vary by about 5-7 (especially the slaw) points as I do multiple sweeps while rotating around target. True high conductors vary maybe 1-3 points. Also, the 'falses' just don't have that 'solid' audio thump from multi-direction sweeping that high conductors do. Hard to verbally desribe the audio, but after digging these 'falses' for a while, your ear becomes trained to their audio signature. The above info applies to targets that are not at exteme depths, as that scenario throws ID numbers out the window sort to speak, in regards to any VLF machine with ID capability. The Omega has tremendous ID accuracy, if one learns the nuances. Perhaps the Deus behaves similarly. Sounds like it does to me, from what your describing. So perhaps more field time with the Deus is necessarysmiling smiley
I wouldn't be suprised if the Deus mfg didn't "examine' the ID workings of the Omega, like Garrett did for their AT Pro. (just my opinion/gut feeling).
April 19, 2012 08:41PM
Dont Quote me on this...But I have gathered that all the big box unit's theat XP makes will be gone sooner or later...what will happen..

Well they will still be a GMP or GMaxx but it will be just the wireless coil and wireless headphone's ...Thats it...locked into a certain freq without alot of options..just like a GMP you would get a wireless GMP...18 khz locked.... locked reactivity etc...just a basic detector just all wireless...No control box needed becasue no programming needed just adjustment's...

Makes sense does it not...Why make a expensive big box detector when you have the capability to have a lightweight cheaper to bulid as good as the big box..

I know I would love to aquire a GMP wireless platform...It will come...they will be available world wide..no restriction's like the big boxes are .....

Step back at look at the big picture it only makes sense...But Don't quote me on this...LOL!!!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 09:10PM by Keith Southern.
April 19, 2012 08:46PM
Remember this is a European machine designed for iron/not iron detecting ,having an accurate Tid is of no importance in Europe
where only a raw beginner would pay any attention to numbers on the screen.Leave the remote in your pocket for a few sessions
and you might be surprised what you dig!
April 19, 2012 08:48PM
Y'all know by now that I am a newbie but I need to ask: what is a "big box unit"??? My Deus came in one of the smallest boxes that I have ever seen fit inside a cardboard box. And it was flat, too. I though that maybe they forgot to ship half of it to me at first! LOL
April 19, 2012 08:52PM
james1969 Wrote:
> Remember this is a European machine designed for
> iron/not iron detecting ,having an accurate Tid is
> of no importance in Europe
> where only a raw beginner would pay any attention
> to numbers on the screen.Leave the remote in your
> pocket for a few sessions
> and you might be surprised what you dig!

I am gonna try that. I am kind of home bound today, so I am going to carry just my headphones and coil/handle to my test garden and see how it feels. Even though I already know what's down there in my test garden, maybe it will give me an idea of what it will feel like. I like the "no TID" concept more and more because I get tired of stopping my swing to check it. I think that maybe it divides my concentration and takes my thoughts away from the tones.
April 19, 2012 09:21PM
Hey Kevin here's the Xp GMP...It stand for Gold Maxx Power,,,You have the program in your DEUS to emulate this machine....

I have this model...Tom Has just finished testing this unit as you may have followed...

This is what I was referring to in the big box....
it is 18 khz locked reactivity of 2 with just iron volume control ground bal and iron disc only...

What I am hearing is there will be a new GMP just wireless coil shaft and headphone's still locked into 18 KHZ..

They aslo have a Gmaxx that teh same as this except in 4 Khz..

then a couple of enrty level.. machine's...

They will reduce there 5 detector line 4 big box and one wireless DEUS into 5 machines all wireless...the DEUS would be the flagship and the other 4 would be locked freq as they are now..

Thats what I was talking about..

Keith
April 19, 2012 11:10PM
The pinpoint mode reminds me of a early 80s video game.
April 21, 2012 08:39AM
Re Deus and numbers !! it seems that when the old style old tech machines like the Minelabs are set up at the factory ,its against a range of coins and pull rings , gold rings different gauges thickness they calculate what these items resonate at , this then gives you numbers on your screen , and pretty little pictures of pull tabs and rings and coins , and rusty nail , but these as you know are just a guide, good if your dyslexic , or you have site problem.
The Deus is a lot more accurate , and the readings will change when you use a different frequency , The Deus is a bit of a learning curve , but they have set a bench mark now and it will be interesting to see which manufacture will follow suit , I believe the old black box metal detectors , will be out the window soon,the Deus is an fantastic piece of kit ,I have just bought a clear see through waterproof I phone, cover with its own lanyard goes around your neck even has a head phone jack ,, if you dont want to use the remote head phones , total freedom wireless ,I think the likes of Minelab Whites Garrett who ever will be playing catch up for a long time to come .
April 21, 2012 08:54AM
I fully understand why target ID values are different at each frequency on the Deus, but for those who place a lot of importance on them, it would be a turn-off. I'm not the first to wonder if a 'normalise' option could be added, so targets read the same (within reason) at all operating frequencies.
April 21, 2012 10:05AM
Im liking the the target i.d. on the DEUS more that the 75SE. The numbers lock down better and you do not have the bouncing. Also, there is ALOT less ear fatigue. I can see my self becoming quite deadly w this machine....
April 21, 2012 10:28AM
LOL Aaron with your 80's video game statement. Ahhh, the Atari 2600, my first gaming console as a kid! Sounds great.

Good to hear that the Deus' VID is less bouncy than the 75SE. I didn't like that bounciness on the T2, but that is what I get for using a relic machine as a coin machine.

Pimento - I hear what you are saying about normalizing, it was standard on the V3i with the option to de-normalize. You can see the VID on the Deus was not first and foremost. But the nice thing is that when you switch to 4kHz you then open up the upper high conductors VID range and when you switch to 18kHz you then open up the lower range. A bit of a trade off with normalization. The UK guys could care less is my guess and that is why it is the way it is. Coins hit all over here in Europe.

But, now that the Deus is in America I do see some "American relevant updates" on the horizon. And I am VERY CURIOUS as what the new update (V 3) will be. Isn't it due out this year?
April 21, 2012 11:04AM
Agreed, here in the UK, ID variations are not that relevant, but for the US, some appropriate software changes would probably be appreciated.
I recall hearing about adding a volume control to the Control box 'phone output, might that be included in a software update?
April 21, 2012 11:57AM
Pimento Wrote:
> Agreed, here in the UK, ID variations are not that
> relevant, but for the US, some appropriate
> software changes would probably be appreciated.
> I recall hearing about adding a volume control to
> the Control box 'phone output, might that be
> included in a software update?

That would be great news because if I do buy a Deus I won't be getting the headphones - not worth the 300 extra to me and I'd rather wait for full headphones. I'll use an adapter and some knobless Gray Ghost Deep Woods headphones, so having a volume control is a must! Till then, I'll use my mp3 headphones with in-line volume control.

I really like the idea of doing updates online. Keith opened up a whole can of worms with his statement regarding all their machines going wireless. I imagine there would be a substantial cost savings on the lower units as of right now a G Max II costs 900 Euro in Europe on average and a Deus without headphones is around 300 Euro more. To get 4 frequencies for 300 more is a no brainer imo. But I do wonder e.g. - If the Deus at 4.6kHz is roughly the same as the Gmax II in performance? I get the feeling it isn't, as the Gmax II is really tuned to that lower frequency and with the Deus it was said by the company that that 4kHz freq was for the larger coil. Perhaps the next update will "fix" things there, if need be.

I'd like to see the Deus have more tones available (like an E-Trac or V3i, a tone progression), which would probably be a few lines of code. I'd also like to see more flexibility with the tones as it relates to the discrimination. e.g. a zero tone on iron
April 21, 2012 01:05PM
the backphones are very flimsy and break at the folding joint very easilly and are not covered under warranty if they break .
poor design feature i am afraid .
they wont stand much folding even if you are very carefull
April 21, 2012 01:09PM
I'm sure a '4.6KHz specific Deus' would outperform the 4KHz deus mode. Making the coil multi-frequency must introduce compromises.
April 21, 2012 01:51PM
The recovery speed on the GMAXX2 is very impressive for a 4.6khz detector, check out this clip ,

[www.youtube.com]