Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bucket Listers' - Keep'em or Sell'em?

Posted by Gonebeepin' 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Bucket Listers' - Keep'em or Sell'em?
December 05, 2017 10:15PM
It's a fun thing to see our fellow detectorists turn up bucket lister's of one kind or another. What's everybody's idea on what to do when a 'valuable' find turns up on your hunt?

In my early days, I was more keen on selling these items. As I've aged, I often wish I would have kept many of these items to show the kids and grandkids, and share some hands on along with the stories.

Curious on the thoughts of the rest of you.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Bucket Listers' - Keep'em or Sell'em?
December 05, 2017 10:23PM
In over forty years detecting I've only sold one item. It was a 14K bracelet I sold on ebay. It brought about what it's melt value was and I've never sold another piece. I have given numerous rings away to family members though.
December 05, 2017 11:11PM
Jewelry, I'd sell immediately, no issue.

Coins? I'd have a hard time selling ANY coin...

Steve
December 05, 2017 11:46PM
I haven't sold anything either. Wouldn't be easy parting with old coinage....unless it was worth a bunch. The coins that are worth $18, $70, $300.....I'll hold them, especially silver.
Hard to swallow taking greenbacks for a silver coin.
December 06, 2017 12:12AM
I've kept everything except clad.
December 06, 2017 12:17AM
45yrs. detecting and I have never sold any of my old coins. Finding coins over 100yrs. old and knowing I am the first person to touch them since they were lost gives me a connection to those who lost them.
December 06, 2017 12:25AM
I never sold one thing.
I put everything in a 5 gallon bucket and horde it for some reason.
December 06, 2017 01:25AM
I gave away stuff to friends, family etc. But strange I have my first silver dollar and a gold coin. The finds are great but I like playing with the detector more.
December 06, 2017 02:09AM
I'm gonna break the chain of not selling smiling smiley

I do keep things that are of interest to me at the time. I go through phases though. I've sold or traded off a lot of my stuff in order to get other things...whether it be other relics, metal detector stuff, or just other stuff in general. I sold a big chunk of my collection to put towards things for my house and it helped quite a bit, and in the past, I have sold stuff to help with student loans, unexpected medical bills, unexpected big breakdowns etc. Some times those bucket listers come in handy for that kind of stuff....the unexpected. If something in the house or on your vehicle goes down and you need to replace it ASAP...why go get a loan or borrow money when you have money just sitting in your display cases? That's my thinking on it anyway. My heating and air unit went out one spring just as it was starting to get hot. New unit was going to be $6,000. I was living paycheck to paycheck, student loans, and not making much money where I was at. Well I sold a couple detectors and a whole lot of Civil War bullets and buttons, and had enough to get my new unit.
December 06, 2017 02:37AM
I started with this fun hobby back in 1972 and for the first 20 years or so never considered selling any gold and silver items, coins or jewelry. About the early 90's my wife asked me one day why I was hoarding gold and silver? I had no valid reason in that my wife had no interest in any of my jewelry finds and our three sons had no interest in the silver coins, so I sold the whole batch. And, have continued to do so every 4-5 years ever since. Oh, I've kept a few first finds of a coin kind and some bucket listers and cans and boxes of curio's over the years, but gold and silver jewelry, silver coins and any key date coins continue to get sold periodically. HH jim tn
December 06, 2017 08:15AM
Haven't sold a single thing, for me it's passion over profit, although I've often pondered what I will do with it when I get old(er) as I can't take it with me.

I've had some unsolicited offers on a few things I've posted, but aside from taking my clad to Tonopah to "reinvest" and restoring a gold ring I found in the desert and giving it to my wife, I still have everything I've dug....just don't ask me to find it eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 08:18AM by Cal_cobra.
December 06, 2017 01:20PM
Never sold anything, given some away to friends and family members.
December 06, 2017 02:33PM
I'm a pirate. I like a good treasure chest like any pirate but I'm not emotionally attached to any of it. All of it is subject to walking the plank if I need it to.

HH
Mike
December 06, 2017 03:28PM
Sold run of the mill silver, kept the real nice or unique ones. Sold the broken or ratty gold jewelry, kept some of the real nice pieces and gave most of it away to family and friends, not what you find but whats over the next hill or strange beep will bring is what its all about...