Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Few Impact Tweak mods

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Few Impact Tweak mods
December 06, 2017 09:49PM
Re: Few Impact Tweak mods
December 06, 2017 11:22PM
I like your mods. I've mod'ed my arm cuff but I like your lower rod and control box mod's. Something to do tomorrow.
Thanks
Tom
December 07, 2017 12:05AM
YesTom lot better with hole on side...and all the coils have the cable coming from that side anyways..

I took a chance and did the mod on the proto rod and it worked...the early proto rods..didn't have the indexing marks on them..that was on of the first things I requested on the early proto...and they did it quickly!!...I wish at the time I had thought of side entry hole..

Side Note
The Impact with that 5x9.5 coil to me is the perfect coil for the machine for 90 percent of my hunts....its deep and it separates Exceptional...I hardly use the small 4x7.5 as I've found the targets heard with the small coil can be 90 percent of the time can be heard with the 5x9.5..and the deeper targets the 7x11 hears can be heard a good 90 percent of the time with t he 5x9.5 in mineral....so its just about the best match for the machine as a do it all coil especially in trash and in mineral...

With freq switching I can make the unit really tailor to any target I'm after in any terrain.

The Impact has to be one of the best universal use detectors available today...It's on par with F75 for depth and unmask World class..and handles mineral better than MOST any VLF going..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 07, 2017 12:49AM
Keith have you used the 5 inch round Monte likes or the concentric coil? If so what's your opinion of them if you don't mind me asking. Am going to buy another coil but only have spare money for one and am trying to decide between those 2 and the one you are talking about
December 07, 2017 01:39AM
The 7" concentric coil is a blast to use but, the 5x9 is a bit deeper and covers more ground in a shorter period of time. My two most used coils.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 07, 2017 02:32AM
I bet moving the lower control box forward would help with it not hurting my hand so much...hmm.
December 07, 2017 03:52AM
Brian you could move it closer but you would have to cut rod off to do it...and do it straight....

there's a whole other large control board inside the lower box where coil connects and where the board wires goes to faceplate...the freq board is inside the lower box...

there's an ingenious tension plate in there that claps the wires coming from control box and coil connector to keep them from pulling on the board.

I've had it disassembled....The first Impact was a 12 pin connector (I think it was) for the coil...Alper figured out he only needed 5 pin so he changed it ...I had to change mine to a Five pin and it plugged it but I had to take it apart to do it.Now I can run final version coils on my proto..

I have alot of tidbits of the process of the Impact as it went along...LOL...Boring stuff

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 07, 2017 04:24AM
The 5x9.5" coil has been my most used coil on the Impact as well. I recently received the 7" concentric and have been using it in the local parks just trying to get a feel for it. It sure pinpoints great but I'm getting the feeling that the 5x9.5" separates better, at least on the vertical axis, while offering the additional 35% +/- more coverage. In the super iron infested sites I think I'm still partial to the Racer 2 with the Shrew coil but the Impact can actually hold it's own with it, but I like swinging the Racer 2 a little better. The Impact is definitely the better of the two for an all around detector. IMHO
December 14, 2017 12:22AM
Keith, Nokta is always listening! I just got a new holiday pro pack and I'm happy to report in addition to updatimg the lower rod with cable hole to the side and up higher they have also fixed the arm cuff. Basically just like your heat gun mod. Feels 1/4-3/8" narrower and 1/4" higher. No more floppy arm without strap! still feels better with strap but its a great improvement. New red wireless phones are great as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 12:23AM by detectingMO.
December 14, 2017 01:06AM
NICE info Craig..

Cant beat that!!

Kudos to Nokta!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 14, 2017 01:25AM
December 14, 2017 01:29AM
Nice Craig..

looks like Nirvana!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 15, 2017 03:34PM
Here is some info to share.

New lower shaft for Impact.
[www.detectorprospector.com]

And here is what is currently listed at big K.

[www.kellycodetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 03:36PM by Sod-buster.
December 15, 2017 06:52PM
Seems like I just went around a merry go round..

What happened??

I went to a link that brought me to this link ??

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 15, 2017 07:00PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems like I just went around a merry go round..
>
> What happened??
>
> I went to a link that brought me to this link ??
>
> Keith

Did you enjoy your ride on the Merry go round?lol

You'll see Dilek posted actual part number for newly designed rod.
Folks desiring one of these, might want to be careful ordering as Big K seems list the old designed rod- part # wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 07:09PM by Sod-buster.
December 15, 2017 07:17PM
Crazy!!Still dizzy..

I'm sure Kellyco will deplete old stock first..

They was done with the old Fisher lower rods when FTP developed the new style....Then took awhile to change the pic on website's so you hoped you got the indestructible older style and ended up with the newer style.I got where i would ask is it old or new ..if they said old I snatched them up

I've found with kellyco you have to be specific at times during crossover changes,..they stock so much inventory and also since there the distributor they have alot on hand...and not alot of people will ever buy an extra lower rod..they may have them for years to come..LOL

Wonder how many new in box AT Pros or AT Golds right now still have the old headphones instead of the new style more comfortable??

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 16, 2017 05:50AM
Added the New hole on the side of my three lower rods. The cable sure works better on the side for collapsing the rods. Thanks for the mod idea Keith
Keith
December 17, 2017 05:39PM
How about the 7" concentric coil??? I have it and it is very sparky sounding not sure if I like it..yet

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 17, 2017 06:32PM
LowBoy, I think I need to agree with you on the 7" being Sparky. I love the way it pinpoints but then again it is a concentric. I'm leaning more towards the 5x9.5" as being my favorite Impact coil.
Re: Keith
December 17, 2017 07:54PM
I don't have one Lowboy.

Sometimes machines run Concentrics well and sometimes a certain machine run's DD's well.although they can run either.

There's more to coil machine compatibility than meets the eye.

I remember putting a DD on a 1266 once it worked but wasn't really a 1266 anymore.

I've heard DD's on a 5900 is not what you think it should be.

I'm not a real big fan of DD's on a Tesoro even on the High gain High freq Tejon...Seems like Concentrics run better.Yet a Lobo St on same freq feels at home with a DD or concentric.

I think deep in the design of a detector you can sort of tell even though other coils are available what really seems to let it flow the best after some use.

It's good to have options in coil design though.

Slick ...Sounds good on new hole!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 17, 2017 07:59PM
There are a few users on another forum..to my astonishment I thought Tom's was the only real top forum but they love the 7 inch in dirty ground. I would think the way the coil sends the signal into the ground in a V shape it may do better in bad ground with iron? I'll have to try in more but I do only keep the 5 X 9.5 on my machine and it is for the most part stable. If you want to try the 7" coil let me know Keith and I'll send it to you for a test...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

December 17, 2017 09:48PM
Lowboy Sometimes a concentric can be a real eye opener if it mesh's well with a machine..

There just plain AWESOME on the Tejon for unmasking in the dirtiest of iron sites...Lots less falsing and alot cleaner ROUNDER hit's

The Impact may very well be taking advantage of the excellent discing ability concentric coils offer and putting it to good use..

I may take you up on the offer at some point...I'm slammed running machines right now but Ill keep it in mind and thank you!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
December 17, 2017 09:54PM
So given that Nokta has heard folks loud and clear about the arm rest design issue, I wonder if one that paid full price for their Impact Pro kit has the option to get the new and improved arm rest gratis, or if we have to take a heat gun to it and bolt on some metal sidings?

What say ye Nokta?
December 18, 2017 04:26PM
I think what Keith did was for his arm..was more for his needs.
For me the heat gun was enough...I would think the company would have to sell the new arm rest, but I would rather see them do some new updates and not get charged..You can't have it all and with their new machine they will continue to make them better.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 25, 2017 05:50PM
Lawrenzo
.... they love the 7 inch in dirty ground.
The 7" Concentric on my main-use Impact is, without a doubt, the best 'universal-use' coil in my Impact coil assortment.

Lawrenzo
I would think the way the coil sends the signal into the ground in a V shape it may do better in bad ground with iron?
I don't know why somebody started a weird rumor, long ago, with daffy looking sketches and comments about search coil dynamics, but a Concentric coil does NOT "sends the signal into the ground in a V shape ". The generated EMF isn't a 'V' shape, regardless of the size and shape of the Concentric coil layout.

Lawrenzo
I'll have to try in more but I do only keep the 5 X 9.5 on my machine and it is for the most part stable.
Yes, I think you need to spend more time with the 7" Concentric in order to see how it's behavior is different from that of the 5X9½ DD open-frame coil. I also like that DD for certain applications, and those two coils, along with the efficient round 5" DD for the Impact, make my favorite 3-Coil combination for most Impact site searches, depending upon the site make-up and challenges to deal with.

Monte
December 25, 2017 07:03PM
For me I only run the 7" coil in Gen(d) mode so I don't get all the fasling on iron. I don't understand why there is so much falsing on iron and when you go over it again it's gone. My Tejon is sparky but chatters thru the iron with no iron falsing.

Rick