Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The great Equinox conspiracy.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
December 14, 2017 04:02PM

Late July 2017: An advertisement of a person parachuting with a large Minelab banner and the headline stating, "Get the drop on Minelab's sensational new metal detector", begins to circulate the forums. There is an advertised date of September 16, 2017 for the release of information at the metal detecting festival called "detectival". Some speculation as to what this may be is discussed, but nothing concrete appears.

September 16th, 2017: As the event known as "Detectival" is going on, a man parachutes out of an airplane and lands on the ground with a metal detector in hand. The crowd gasps and begins to photograph the event. The parachutist hands the detector to a man known as Brandon Neice, AKA "Dr. Tones". He begins to speak, in detail, about this new VLF Multi-frequency detector that will render "all other VLFs obsolete" called the Equinox. A multi-Frequency, selectable frequency, low priced metal detector. Video's are release with the Equinox being used at Detectival and during one of these videos, a hint of a release date of "early December" by a credible source.

Aftermath of Detectival and the next few months: Suddenly, there begins a flow of speculation throughout the internet forums as to what this new machines capabilities are. Local and large dealers begin taking pre-orders as a frenzy of questions and news hungry buyers assault the web. Various articles and videos are released over the next few months. At this point, pre-orders are most likely in the thousands with some waiting lists alone, for a single dealer, being 200+ deep.

Beginning of December 2017: Most information has come to a small trickle. By this time, release dates given by dealers, buyers and others, range from early December to March 2018, to summer 2018. Huge verbal wars arise on most forums as to the machine being release with a "I want it now" vs "Too bad! You have to wait for it" type feuds. However, in the vast metal detecting community only one thing really matters at this point: Where is the Equinox?

December 12th-14th, 2017: A well known forum officially posts a release date for Europe being "December 17th, 2017". Investigated by a few, there doesn't seem to be any credible source behind this information and in fact, people begin to "call them out" asking what his source is. No response was given. On the 14th, this same site posts another article about the Equinox(although it is the truck) stating "Am I the one who creates Minelab news? Of course not, the manufacturer does everything by itself. I am the one who just tells detectorists and distributors some piece of news." This to me is an almost direct, pointed response to being "called out". Are they "in the know" or drawing hits to the web site?

What ABOUT, Minelab?: The now tattered and frayed relationships that inhabit the forums are the direct fault of Minelab not releasing any information, or so says the consensus. Why all the secrecy? Are there glaring issues? Is this a stunt to force the hand of the competition? This large "silent gap" is not only causing strife, but is hurting Minelabs reputation. It's a lose/lose all the way around. This gap as well as a possible missed release date(they still have a few weeks left) gives the competition like Nokta/Makro, Fisher, Whites, XP and whomever else the chance to catch-up and possibly surpass with an early release of their own cancelling Equinox pre-orders. After all, would you rather wait 200 deep or get something much sooner?

Conclusion: "The very word 'secret' in our society is repugnant" said John F. Kennedy. With the possible release date 17th fast approaching in 3 days, will it be release in December or will the veil of secrecy continue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 04:07PM by Beyonder-Pa.
Re: The great Equinox conspiracy.
December 14, 2017 04:06PM
It seems like I have Heard about this Detector for 2 Years. Ha.
December 14, 2017 04:12PM
Don't blame Minelab that everyone allowed themselves to be whipped up into a frenzy.

Now they're acting like a bunch of young girls waiting for the Beatles to come out on stage. smiling bouncing smiley

We're all grownups and have to own our own feelings and emotions.
December 14, 2017 04:26PM
Don't think there are any laws, books, or other guidelines a detector manufacturer has to follow to release a metal detector model(s).

Minelab will bear the burden good or bad for the route they have chosen.

I don't see a conspiracy going on at all.

Some folks are "brand loyal" so some could be jealous, some could be in the "tank" for Minelab.

I am neither.

I will give the 800 model its due good or bad.

This forum has been crawling with post with comments as far as Minelab's detector weight of previous models.

So there should be no beef as far as Equinix in this dept.

Oh yeah, I am sure someone will be hit with a tidal wave and their Equinox will take off on them, and they will bash.

But they have alternative-CTX.

Minelab seems was silently perusing metal detectors forums the whole time, getting Intel so they could hopefully satisfy more of the detecting public.

The only question I have is.

How will the next new detector model be unveiled by Minelab, even by other manufacturers?

How about a drone delivering to a rally site??

Sound too far fetched?
December 14, 2017 04:35PM
Yet another one of these threads (sigh)
December 14, 2017 04:40PM
X2

GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yet another one of these threads (sigh)
December 14, 2017 04:43PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> Yet another one of these threads (sigh)

And yet you took the time to comment.

Anyway, it's just an article I wrote. Read it or not. I put "Equinox" in the title for a reason.
December 14, 2017 04:57PM
You sound like a bunch of School kids trying to make other students Smoke and Drink smiling smiley I rather have a Detector that works then a MX Sport all over again.

I was also told by a Minelab employee it wasn't going to be able to get updated by the user. I think they decided to add that after the pressure from us asking them so who knows that could of delayed the release. I don't think people realize how hard it is to make a Product retool,Design,program ETC ETC I for one can wait for the Detector to be right and updates to work from home instead of mailing it back to them.
December 14, 2017 05:07PM
Seems to be a lot of smoke and mirrors with this new model, hope not having a major issue with the technology promised, as one poster mentioned not much fun if you have to return
a brand new machine.....wait and see game.
December 14, 2017 05:15PM
Steve's site is the go to place for Equinox info right now. He is one of the few people I trust when it comes to detectors and he happens to be testing one. More info can be found on his Equinox fans forum.
December 14, 2017 05:21PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:

> I was also told by a Minelab employee it wasn't go
> ing to be able to get updated by the user. I think
> they decided to add that after the pressure from u
> s asking them so who knows that could of delayed t
> he release. I don't think people realize how hard
> it is to make a Product retool,Design,program ETC
> ETC I for one can wait for the Detector to be righ
> t and updates to work from home instead of mailing
> it back to them.

I think what the minelab employee meant was "Oh, we will make it updatable, but, we are gonna make it like the CTX and never offer meaningful updates...hahaha"

grinning smiley
December 14, 2017 05:26PM
Most of the silence these days can be attributed, in my opinion, to the now continuous commentary coming from some quarters that constantly denigrate or cast aspersions on the character of product testers. I used to post freely on all the forums back when people appreciated information wherever they could get it. Back in the age of internet innocence.

Then people started in with the shill stuff. Now, I thought posting to multiple forums was just sharing information. However, I can see how people would look at posting similar content on multiple forums could come across as a sales effort. I get it. So I created my own forum and started withdrawing from all others. My rationale was simple. I am going to say what I have to say. And I figure anyone that seeks me out on my own forum to see what I have to say can hardly complain about what I am posting. At least I would think not, but I underestimate the tenacity of trolls. They started in on me on a couple forums even in my absence. There are obviously people with vested interests being threatened and this is their response.

So I built my walled garden, but what about the other testers? They are seeing that posting or getting involved on open forums is just an invitation to be spat on. Why in the world would anyone sign up for that? I won’t put up with it and it does not surprise me others feel the same way.

Minelab may take some hits over the perception of delay (that’s all it is) but I don’t think it matters much and I am guessing they figure the same thing. The Equinox will not go out the door until ready, and that is just the way it is. No amount of chatter will change that nor will it ultimately have any measurable impact on Equinox sales.

Anyway, I apologize for intruding but felt a need to comment. I value the forums. They have been a great source of information and fun for me. Many however are dying off, as good people are driven off by the bad. I think that is a real shame, and there are no clear answers as to how to address the issue of trolls. Freedom of of speech is a fine thing, but even this forum found there are people you just have to ban. Anyone concerned about conspiracies of silence and not concerned about the chilling effect of trolls is not getting the full picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 05:35PM by Steve Herschbach.
December 14, 2017 05:50PM
Steve --

Excellent post, IMO.

I cannot tell you how many threads I've read over the past month or two, where impatient people simply do NOT seem to understand the job of a beta-tester, testing a prototype machine. People seem to think they have a RIGHT to information during prototype stage, which is a complete mis-understanding of what the prototype stage is all ABOUT (the back-and-forth process between tester and detector engineer with respect to an at-that-time "immature" machine).

I have tried in a few of these threads on other forums to clarify that the testers are NOT "shills;" in fact quite the opposite in that they are bound to a great deal of "secrecy" by NDAs -- and for GOOD REASON. The units, during prototype stage, are by definition FLAWED UNITS that are not ready for prime-time. That is NOT the time for the tester to be sharing the "good and bad" of a unit with the PUBLIC, it's instead a time for the tester to be sharing the "good and bad" of a unit with the ENGINEERS.

Anyway, most here already know this. I'm just long-windedly agreeing with the prior post by Steve H (not at all, by the way, aiming these comments at you, Beyonder, but more toward others on other forums). What I will say more directly to your post, Beyonder, is that I don't believe at all that there is any "conspiracy;" what there is instead, in my opinion, is what appears to be a company really listening to their field testers, and making adjustments based on tester feedback, all the way up until the last minute. And as such, I appreciate Minelab's approach.

Back to my point about those on other forums not understanding the beta-tester/company relationship...anyone who doesn't understand the beta-testing process, can read through NASA-Tom's thread from when he was beta-testing the prototype Impact. If anyone reading that thinks NASA-Tom was obliged to be reporting to the public the details -- particularly the shortcomings -- of the prototype Impact (during the testing process), simply doesn't understand the JOB of the beta-tester, nor the process of refining a prototype product.

Steve

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 06:05PM by steveg.
December 14, 2017 05:53PM
Many posters have mentioned they would buy this new model ....just need more owners reviews before spend my money. I think that is a fair comment.
December 14, 2017 05:55PM
Definitely fair, guvmore. Wise, in many ways...

Steve
December 14, 2017 06:01PM
I have always recommended waiting 6 months to a year before buying any truly new model of detector unless you are the sort of person who does not mind the inherent risks of being an early adopter. Consensus reporting by end users is valuable stuff for those that require an extra level of security regarding a purchase.

But why not mine testers for extra information until then? They are by and large nothing but people with such huge extra doses of love for this hobby they donate massive amounts of time and effort for no other reason than the thrill of being involved, of being to have an actual measurable impact on the industry, no matter how small. Like I tell the engineers, it keeps me off the streets! smiling smiley

Not only have Minelab been mining the forums for years about what people want, they have been paying close attention to the few people who have posted well thought out suggestions or issues of interest about Equinox since the day it became known. This period of time has been of extreme value and Equinox would not have been quite as good without it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2017 06:09PM by Steve Herschbach.
December 14, 2017 06:09PM
Steve, while I will agree that personally harassing testers, rather than there tests are wrong, I must say that posting ANYTHING on the internet opens that post to major scrutiny. In just the above post alone which is a little over an hour old, I got ridiculed on this forum, and praised on another.

Personally, I felt, and will always feel that your work is objective and fair. I had an issue with the way you handled a different situation and I gave you some criticizing on another forum saying that I felt your character was "less then impeccable"(which was removed by a certain admin(who reads this forum) who considered that an attack). However, that in no way reflects how I feel about you dedication to your articles or the work you put in them. No one is perfect by any means.

"Anyone concerned about conspiracies of silence and not concerned about the chilling effect of trolls is not getting the full picture."

I can see this can be a concern, but, in my opinion, if you treat these attacks as a credible honest criticism, then you will only empower said trolls. You can't change people, so why try. They feel a need to be disruptive. Concerns are subject. What is important to you isn't important to others and visa-versa. Right now MY concern is getting what I already paid for.
December 14, 2017 06:19PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Steve's site is the go to place for Equinox info r
> ight now. He is one of the few people I trust whe
> n it comes to detectors and he happens to be testi
> ng one. More info can be found on his Equinox fan
> s forum.

Absolutely, positively correct
December 14, 2017 06:40PM
You missed my point Beyonder. I could care less about evaluations of my character coming from people who don’t know me and never will. People act in ways I don’t like I simply leave the room, and I have. I am quite satisfied with my solution to trolls. The only reason I posted was to speculate on why others are staying silent. And with that I will go back to doing the same.

Best wishes and happy hunting to all of you here smiling smiley
December 14, 2017 06:48PM
Steve,

While I respect your reasons for staying silent, and posting only on your own forum, I for one appreciate your inputs here...

Steve
December 14, 2017 07:36PM
Tom's review will be the Holy Grail in the end.
It comes with facts and figures , knobs and switches so to speak,,,,those remove the clouds of objectivity which accompany so many other opinions.
December 14, 2017 08:35PM
Dear god, people, relax. It comes out where when comes out. Why all the fuss? Minelab isn't stoking any of the hype - it is purely the overactive minds of the impatient forum-goers, as well as the pushback by Anti-Minelab naysayers, that is causing all the confusion and white noise. Just relax, breathe, and stop taking the click-bait.
December 14, 2017 08:37PM
steveg Wrote:
> Steve,
>
> While I respect your reasons for staying silent, a
> nd posting only on your own forum, I for one appre
> ciate your inputs here...
>
> Steve

X2
December 15, 2017 12:24AM
steveg Wrote:
> Steve --
>
> Excellent post, IMO.
>
> I cannot tell you how many threads I've read over
> the past month or two, where impatient people simp
> ly do NOT seem to understand the job of a beta-tes
> ter, testing a prototype machine. People seem to
> think they have a RIGHT to information during prot
> otype stage, which is a complete mis-understanding
> of what the prototype stage is all ABOUT (the back
> -and-forth process between tester and detector eng
> ineer with respect to an at-that-time "immature" m
> achine).
>
> I have tried in a few of these threads on other fo
> rums to clarify that the testers are NOT "shills;"
> in fact quite the opposite in that they are bound
> to a great deal of "secrecy" by NDAs -- and for GO
> OD REASON. The units, during prototype stage, are
> by definition FLAWED UNITS that are not rea
> dy for prime-time. That is NOT the time for the t
> ester to be sharing the "good and bad" of a unit w
> ith the PUBLIC, it's instead a time for the tester
> to be sharing the "good and bad" of a unit with th
> e ENGINEERS.

Amen to that brother!

Exactly why I could care less if I ever test another unit or not = for any company!

Ain't worth it/the hassle and negative downputting BS imo
December 15, 2017 12:53AM
I feel Steve H has one of the best forums out there. Laid out well. And he seems to tell it like it is about all detectors he uses. And excellent Equinox info. Great job Steve.
December 15, 2017 02:22AM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Most of the silence these days can be attributed,
> in my opinion, to the now continuous commentary co
> ming from some quarters that constantly denigrate
> or cast aspersions on the character of product tes
> ters. I used to post freely on all the forums back
> when people appreciated information wherever they
> could get it. Back in the age of internet innocenc
> e.
>
> Then people started in with the shill stuff. Now,
> I thought posting to multiple forums was just shar
> ing information. However, I can see how people wou
> ld look at posting similar content on multiple for
> ums could come across as a sales effort. I get it.
> So I created my own forum and started withdrawing
> from all others. My rationale was simple. I am goi
> ng to say what I have to say. And I figure anyone
> that seeks me out on my own forum to see what I ha
> ve to say can hardly complain about what I am post
> ing. At least I would think not, but I underestima
> te the tenacity of trolls. They started in on me o
> n a couple forums even in my absence. There are ob
> viously people with vested interests being threate
> ned and this is their response.
>
> So I built my walled garden, but what about the ot
> her testers? They are seeing that posting or getti
> ng involved on open forums is just an invitation t
> o be spat on. Why in the world would anyone sign u
> p for that? I won’t put up with it and it does not
> surprise me others feel the same way.
>
> Minelab may take some hits over the perception of
> delay (that’s all it is) but I don’t think it matt
> ers much and I am guessing they figure the same th
> ing. The Equinox will not go out the door until re
> ady, and that is just the way it is. No amount of
> chatter will change that nor will it ultimately ha
> ve any measurable impact on Equinox sales.
>
> Anyway, I apologize for intruding but felt a need
> to comment. I value the forums. They have been a g
> reat source of information and fun for me. Many ho
> wever are dying off, as good people are driven off
> by the bad. I think that is a real shame, and ther
> e are no clear answers as to how to address the is
> sue of trolls. Freedom of of speech is a fine thin
> g, but even this forum found there are people you
> just have to ban. Anyone concerned about conspirac
> ies of silence and not concerned about the chillin
> g effect of trolls is not getting the full picture
> .

Totally Agree!!!
December 15, 2017 03:26AM
Good lord, What a mess,, People would be P'd off if the Mrs served you up half cooked Dinner and we have seen what happened a year or so back when a detector was released before final tweaking had been completed, and as pointed out ML read the forums and you can bet that they don't want to be the meat in the sandwich for sure by getting it wrong, If the thing is 12 months late "So Be It" at leased it will be perfect.

All the hype about making others obsolete etc etc is BS, Other Machines will still work fine and life will go on regardless, What Minelab have done building the Equinox is bring back a good solid selectable single frequency machine to their range of products, and thank God for that, because FBS is not always the perfect choice for some types of hunting, So big thank you to ML for that.

As for the silence people need to realize that any comments from testers only need to be shared with the company direct and not with the general public until and after the release date, Whether you have put down a deposit or not, Does not buy you the rights to inside info, All that shows is a lack of self control, "AGAIN" we saw what happened in the past So it would be wise to wait for that 6 month probationary period to be over before taking the plunge, I tried to warn people not to hit the gas last time and that did not end well which led to a lot of disappointment and ill feeling all round,

ML have climbed to the top of the ladder in a matter of years refining their products and their business ethics, They want "YOU" to have a machine that can be the best it can be and not have to relive the nightmares of yesteryear, There was once a time when companies use to invest 3 or 4 years in R&D fine tuning their products which is why some of those machines are still contenders to this day, But we the public put so much pressure on these companies to produce such products and we want it "NOW" and because of the time frame it all goes south, Did you ever rush your homework and have the Teacher mark most of it Wrong, Or when mom gave you chores to do around the house only to be told to do them again ? Well this is the same thing but in the grown up world. Supposedly.

All this " I wanna be first BS" to get one is just that, greed or bragging rights call it what you will, will not make you a better detectorist but it prove a person to be stupid and childish, All this personal bitching and forum wars will do is drive the companies in to with holding their future plans/releases until a product is ready to be shipped and cause them to back away from the forums so as they no longer take part in the discussions to where they just monitor what is going on, We need those companies to be part of the hobby not just make detectors, So stop with the conspiracy crap, You will get it when it's cooked and not before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 03:38AM by auminesweeper.
December 15, 2017 03:51AM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> Good lord, What a mess,, People would be P'd off i
> f the Mrs served you up half cooked Dinner and we
> have seen what happened a year or so back when a d
> etector was released before final tweaking had bee
> n completed, and as pointed out ML read the forums
> and you can bet that they don't want to be the mea
> t in the sandwich for sure by getting it wrong, If
> the thing is 12 months late "So Be It" at leased i
> t will be perfect.
>
> All the hype about making others obsolete etc etc
> is BS, Other Machines will still work fine and lif
> e will go on regardless, What Minelab have done bu
> ilding the Equinox is bring back a good solid sele
> ctable single frequency machine to their range of
> products, and thank God for that, because FBS is n
> ot always the perfect choice for some types of hun
> ting, So big thank you to ML for that.
>
> As for the silence people need to realize that any
> comments from testers only need to be shared with
> the company direct and not with the general public
> until and after the release date, Whether you have
> put down a deposit or not, Does not buy you the ri
> ghts to inside info, All that shows is a lack of s
> elf control, "AGAIN" we saw what happened in the p
> ast So it would be wise to wait for that 6 month p
> robationary period to be over before taking the pl
> unge, I tried to warn people not to hit the gas la
> st time and that did not end well which led to a l
> ot of disappointment and ill feeling all round,
>
> ML have climbed to the top of the ladder in a matt
> er of years refining their products and their busi
> ness ethics, They want "YOU" to have a machine tha
> t can be the best it can be and not have to relive
> the nightmares of yesteryear, There was once a tim
> e when companies use to invest 3 or 4 years in R&D
> fine tuning their products which is why some of th
> ose machines are still contenders to this day, But
> we the public put so much pressure on these compan
> ies to produce such products and we want it "NOW"
> and because of the time frame it all goes south, D
> id you ever rush your homework and have the Teache
> r mark most of it Wrong, Or when mom gave you chor
> es to do around the house only to be told to do th
> em again ? Well this is the same thing but in the
> grown up world. Supposedly.
>
> All this " I wanna be first BS" to get one is just
> that, greed or bragging rights call it what you wi
> ll, will not make you a better detectorist but it
> prove a person to be stupid and childish, All this
> personal bitching and forum wars will do is drive
> the companies in to with holding their future plan
> s/releases until a product is ready to be shipped
> and cause them to back away from the forums so as
> they no longer take part in the discussions to whe
> re they just monitor what is going on, We need tho
> se companies to be part of the hobby not just make
> detectors, So stop with the conspiracy crap, You w
> ill get it when it's cooked and not before.

As for the comment that others are obsolete, well seems that is what many dealers have on their web sites smiling smileyPeople have a right to their views it's a free world. hh
December 15, 2017 04:03AM
guvmore Wrote:
> As for the comment that others are obsolete, well
> seems that is what many dealers have on their web
> sites smiling smileyPeople have a right to their views it's a
> free world. hh

How can people have a view on something that has yet to materialize, As for a Free World that's BS, and is a cop out excuse for having nothing constructive to say from the flower power era of the 1960's and again adds nothing to the reality of all this conspiracy rubbish.
December 15, 2017 04:13AM
To be kind BS fits your post. We certainly can have views...just like the idiot that jumped out the plane with this new change the world model.
Or did it materialize from thin air lol idiots.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2017 04:16AM by guvmore.