Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

i do not normally post my finds on here, but i was so inspired

Posted by gravediggermax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
i do not normally post my finds on here, but i was so inspired
March 22, 2011 01:44AM
by toms posts and comments on the X-5 on the etrac post, i felt i must post........i will not make a habit of it, just this once.

i unscrewed the wot and added the x-5 today. sailed into my little button patch that has yielded hardly anything this year and very little in 2010 - twice this year with atpro and once with wot, but after toms comments i grabbed the sepro and the rest is history.

maybe my last spin here..........11 ticks and counting.......3 fair size and 8 real tiny ones...........You woods guys got any tips on how not to get them??

thanks again tom

[www.youtube.com]
Re: i do not normally post my finds on here, but i was so inspired
March 22, 2011 02:33AM
CONGRAT'S!!! NEVER underestimate that little 5" coil !!! It'll see less mineralization......and possibly punch deeper. Depth vs EFFECTIVE depth!
March 22, 2011 02:33AM
Thanks for the video gravediggermax.
Up here in PA we have those tiny deer tics that carry lymes disease. The bigger dog tics are no big threat but they still like to poke their head in and take a few swallows. For tics; I spray my clothes, pouch, hat and boots only (no skin) with Deep Woods Off and never had a problem. If I forget, I'll walk all the way back to the truck and spray. It's not worth the risk to get lymes. Tics can be in the grass too.
March 22, 2011 03:14AM
Congrats on all those buttons, and thanks for the video!
March 22, 2011 03:17AM
I like Repel deep woods.
I also like the 5" coil in trash,
HH
Grave......Re: i do not normally post my finds on here, but i was so inspired
March 22, 2011 03:36AM
If you feel any flu like symptoms or unusual aches/pains in the joints, see a Dr. pronto. Personally, I would see one now, even if ya don't show symptoms of anything unusual. Ticks carry more diseases than just Lyme's.
March 22, 2011 06:44AM
Nice video, and I really like that Navy button! The 5" coil is an essential tool. I got my first seated half dime, an 1840, with a 5" DD coil on the F70 from a well hunted site.

HH,
Brian
TICKS:
March 22, 2011 08:49AM
Hello,

I am normally a lurker but felt compelled to share some information on ticks and Lyme Disease.

You may consider wearing long white socks and tucking long pants into the socks. This will keep any ticks from getting to your skin and it will let you see them when they land on you. Lyme disease is a very controversial subject because insurance companies have vested interests in not having to pay for millions of people with this disease. It is carried by more species of Tick than previously thought. There are more associated diseases also transmitted by most ticks such as Babesia, Bartonella, and more. The tests done by MDs are worthless (something like 50% false negative). The organization responsible for deciding the testing and treatment standards for Lyme are heavily funded by Insurance and pharmaceutical companies. The standard treatment WILL WORK, if it is taken IMMEDIATELY. If the Lyme disease is not treated immediately the only way to treat it is long term IV antibiotics (Years) from a LYME LITERATE DOCTOR, they will use a test by IGeneX which is the standard for LYME among LLDs. LLDs don't take insurance and it can be very expensive. There are some fraudsters in this field that will string you along for your money.

If you had 11 Ticks on you, I would be suprised if you did NOT get Lyme. If you had the tick, you could send it in and have it tested. Otherwise symptoms may appear in 4-8 weeks, or they could stay dormant for years. I was bitten while prospecting in Alaska. I was bitten in an area not known for Lyme, and by a wood tick, which normally does not carry the disease. 5 Weeks later It hit me all of a sudden. I was fine in the morning and by late afternoon I felt like I had mono. I felt worse than I have felt in my whole life. This lasted for 2 years. 2 Years of not getting out of bed. 2 Years of not detecting. I spent about $10k on various doctors before I finally went to a LLD and I am much better now, but still very ill. Again, IF YOU DO HAVE IT, it can be knocked out simply and painlessly by a 1 month round of Doxycycline. If you wait till you have symptoms it may be too late. I'm sorry if it comes across like i'm trying to scare you, I just wouldn't want anyone else to go through what I went through. There is a good movie that explains it all called Under Our Skin.

Good Luck,
verylazybeachbum
beachbum
March 22, 2011 01:24PM
thanks for the great info.

so far today i am free of them, but one never knows........many were very tiny.

m
Re: beachbum
March 22, 2011 10:40PM
Wow. That was a VERY worth-while share. THANKS! And......to be down-for-the count (and in bed) for 2 years........really paints a picture.
Good dig's Max..and those tick's
March 23, 2011 12:22AM
I cant stand them,,and yes it's time for them again.....I pick them off me all spring summer and fall...

I never hardly use bug spray but some good high deet spray might work?

I get my wife to get them off me ....I get about 10-12 a week in the summer.....

I was riding down the road one day after searching a piece of land in the Low country of S.C. and i had camo pant's on and I though my eye's were playing trick's on me....I was looking at my camo pattern and it was moving...well it was hundred's and hundred's of tick's on my pant's....believ it or not I got off on the side of the highway and took my pant's off and shook them out...they were everywhere even in my seat of my truck...

Never had lyme disease that I know of but my sister in law got it and she never even goes in the wood's..Just got it from her pet they think....

Sort of like Russian Roulette ....

If you get sick in a few week's or see a rash where the bit ya that look's like a red splotch around it get checked out...

again nice dig's

Keith
March 23, 2011 01:47AM
Max....great finds!! Thanks for sharing the video!

Regarding ticks, do a google search on Sawyer Permethrin. Found info on this product on another forum and I'm fixin' to have a bottle in my pack shortly, I assume at some point warm weather will return to PA....LOL!

Congrats!

Dave
Permethrin
March 23, 2011 02:00AM
the best

if u can find in any type of spray.........KEY INGREDIENT.
March 23, 2011 01:52PM
Nice finds Max !!....WTG !!.....Jim
Re: Good dig's Max..and those tick's
March 23, 2011 02:26PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cant stand them,,and yes it's time for them
> again.....I pick them off me all spring summer and
> fall...
>
> I never hardly use bug spray but some good high
> deet spray might work?
>
> I get my wife to get them off me ....I get about
> 10-12 a week in the summer.....
>
> I was riding down the road one day after searching
> a piece of land in the Low country of S.C. and i
> had camo pant's on and I though my eye's were
> playing trick's on me....I was looking at my camo
> pattern and it was moving...well it was hundred's
> and hundred's of tick's on my pant's....believ it
> or not I got off on the side of the highway and
> took my pant's off and shook them out...they were
> everywhere even in my seat of my truck...
>
> Never had lyme disease that I know of but my
> sister in law got it and she never even goes in
> the wood's..Just got it from her pet they
> think....
>
> Sort of like Russian Roulette ....
>
> If you get sick in a few week's or see a rash
> where the bit ya that look's like a red splotch
> around it get checked out...
>
>
> again nice dig's
>
> Keith

when i was a kid,i saw a neighbor use a business end of a cigarette to
burn 'em off squirrels!..they was "loaded" with blood with huge "sacs"
and he would hold the butt against the blood sac until they dropped off in to a can of gasoline
we kids was fascinated by this!..he would get them all off,and touch the can of gas off,with a giant "plume"
of fire consuming the ticks!..they were tough little buggers,and didn't want to 'drop off",but he was persistent
and eventually they would "back out" and let go!..just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 25, 2011 12:33AM
hey Max, eat a ton of garlic, keeps the tics and skeeters away, and the girls don't come close either, but that's just more detecting time, my wife is Italian and a great cook and we have garlic in every meal, even the breakfast shake
caretaker, keith and jt - and others
March 25, 2011 01:33AM
F Y I

i found out from fellow that WD40 really works great for removing them once they get attached.

spray on directly or use cotton ball and dob........wait a few minutes and bingo.......off they come.........guy said it blocks their breathing.
Re: TICKS:
March 25, 2011 01:48AM
Hi Lazybeachbum. Thank you so much for your post about Lyme's Disease. I also feel like I have mono for the last two years. Doctor had me checked out for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, results negative. So I might have this disease. I will certainly look into it! Thanks again.
Try mineral oil...does the same thing......and not toxic or irritating to the skin.
Also, ask your pharmacist if they have large syringes (10 ml). Sometimes they will give you one for free. I tell them I need it for irrigating my ears. Just load it with oil, cap the end of it. When needed, put drop or two on the little buggers........cuts down on the mess factor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 03:31AM by TerraDigger.
thanks digger - mineral sounds like a good deal
March 25, 2011 03:10AM
:-)
Re: thanks digger - mineral sounds like a good deal
March 25, 2011 03:23AM
Skin So Soft by Avon...it has mineral oil in it and it works...and obviously real oily and messy.
March 25, 2011 10:29AM
"Skin So Soft by Avon...it has mineral oil in it and it works...and obviously real oily and messy."

Good for Skeeters too !!.....Jim
March 25, 2011 09:29PM
loved the video. and yes ticks are the suck.