Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Went ahead and Pre-ordered the Gold Kruzer

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Went ahead and Pre-ordered the Gold Kruzer
January 30, 2018 06:31PM
HA,

I stared at the Gold Kruzer Package too long. I went ahead and pre-ordered one. Someone is talking possible March shipping?

What pushed me over the edge was the package deal being offered along with the higher 61 kHz. The higher frequency will hopefully require less gain to hit on the tiny stuff. Should also give a tighter ferrous / non-ferrous break point on that stuff. too. Hopeful anyway. I figure if it sucks at what I want it for I'll find out early enough I can get most of my money back on resale.

I tried to jump for the Gold Racer but just couldn't make myself do it. Especially after I heard that even with the 56 kHz you still had to run the Gain up high to hit the tiny stuff. I am hoping the new Micro program allows me independent adjustments of the Gain and Threshold controls so that I can get low gain but high sensitivity settings. Another words, it will allow me to run it hot hot hot at very low gain settings in Disc mode. Fingers crossed.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 06:49PM by Mike Hillis.
Re: Went ahead and Pre-ordered the Gold Kruzer
January 30, 2018 06:48PM
Hey Mike----You're spending all your Equinox money!!! (I'm kiddin yah)winking smiley
January 30, 2018 06:52PM
Hey Del. Yeah...no Equinox for me in 2018. I think I'm done for a while. At least until I build my gold reserves back up.

HH
Mike
January 30, 2018 07:40PM
Looking at the features it has Mike Hillis all over it.
January 31, 2018 12:59AM
Mike let us know how that Gold Kruzer works, would be interesting to see if you able to get micro gold jewelry (chains and whatnot) thumbs down
February 03, 2018 01:04PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Del. Yeah...no Equinox for me in 2018. I
> think I'm done for a while. At least until I bui
> ld my gold reserves back up.
>
> HH
> Mike
Fantastic Mike, looking forward to you posting of the gold jewelry or other stuff found with the Kruzer. Tinfoil told me many years ago, "you don't pay for a detector digging silver coins" so right he is, it only takes one nice piece to pay a machine off. I think you're on the right track even though I didn't go that direction.
March 01, 2018 04:10PM
It maybe April now before the Gold Kruzer shows up. I think its still under development.

I'm practicing my doctor skills and exercising my patients.

HH
Mike
March 02, 2018 02:05AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> It maybe April now before the Gold Kruzer shows up
> . I think its still under development.
>
> I'm practicing my doctor skills and exercising my
> patients.
>
> HH
> Mike

At least you didn't have to wait 6-7 months for an unequinox spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 02, 2018 02:36AM
Mike likes any Detector with Gold in the name! Ha.
March 02, 2018 03:27AM
Your a brave man hunting the parks with a 61 kHz detector.
March 02, 2018 04:16PM
Turf hunting small jewelry is all about Location Location Location, Rob. I wouldn't use a 61 khz for everywhere but there are places where it would pay off. A turf location for tiny gold would have to meet some some specific criteria:

[*] First - the site would have to offer a high probability of small gold being present.
    [*] second - the site would have to offer some sort of trash mitigation factor(s).
    [*] third - the metal detector has to be able to isolate the small sought after signals from all the other unwanted responses.

For first bullet....I simply ask, "who wears the most jewelry, who is most likely to lose it, and where are they most likely to lose it at?"

For the second bullet....I look for environmental factors that would help restrict low conductive trash content. Typically I'm looking for some type of site isolation that would help limit the amount of foil trash.

For third bullet....the equipment has to be able to allow me to focus on small, tight, target responses. A tiny target sounds tiny. The coil footprint is tight so I don't have to deal with falsing off to the sides of the coil. The gain can be ran low so I don't have to deal with responses deeper than my focused targets will be. Recoverable tiny jewelry in turf is grass roots level. I don't want to hear the targets below this level. That is why I like the low gain, high sensitivity units. They allow me to focus on what I'm looking for...which is that small tight tiny response. I'd like to have audio boost. I'd like to have a configurable notch like the Goldbug/F19/G2 as well, because small gold jewelry is never going to read higher than foil and is often below the normal ferrous/non-ferrous boundary.

If you want to really see something special....Find your unit's ferrous non-ferrous boundary....most of them are fuzzy....maybe 5 to 6 digits wide, and just set up and hunt for targets that hit within that boundary. For example if your units ferrous/non-ferrous boundary is 39/40, this isn't a hard cutoff. There is a transition zone of 4-6 digits. Typically the real ferrous / non-ferrous boundary starts around 33, 35, 36...somewhere in there.

I've found a lot of earrings, including costume jewelry that respond in that little fuzzy boundary area. And surprisingly, there isn't that much trash in that range. Or I should say, less than I expected there to be. I am hoping that a true micro jewelry capable detector like the Gold Kruzer, with a program focus on micro jewelry would be a positive aid in recovery of this type target. We'll see when it shows up if it does or not.

Of course one could always use it for dig it all tot lotter I guess.

HH
Mike
March 02, 2018 05:05PM
Hey Mike, Doesn't the old Golden Sabre II have a sweet spot on disc.? I heard put Disc. on Square pull tab and some gold rings give a funky tone?
March 02, 2018 05:07PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Turf hunting small jewelry is all about Location L
> ocation Location, Rob. I wouldn't use a 61 khz f
> or everywhere but there are places where it would
> pay off. A turf location for tiny gold would ha
> ve to meet some some specific criteria:
>
>
    > [*] First - the site would have to offer a high pr
    > obability of small gold being present.
    > [*] second - the site would have to offer some sor
    > t of trash mitigation factor(s).
    > [*] third - the metal detector has to be able to i
    > solate the small sought after signals from all the
    > other unwanted responses.
    >
>
> For first bullet....I simply ask, "who wears the m
> ost jewelry, who is most likely to lose it, and w
> here are they most likely to lose it at?"
>
> For the second bullet....I look for environmental
> factors that would help restrict low conductive tr
> ash content. Typically I'm looking for some type
> of site isolation that would help limit the amount
> of foil trash.
>
> For third bullet....the equipment has to be able t
> o allow me to focus on small, tight, target respo
> nses. A tiny target sounds tiny. The coil footpr
> int is tight so I don't have to deal with falsing
> off to the sides of the coil. The gain can be ra
> n low so I don't have to deal with responses deepe
> r than my focused targets will be. Recoverable t
> iny jewelry in turf is grass roots level. I don't
> want to hear the targets below this level. That
> is why I like the low gain, high sensitivity units
> . They allow me to focus on what I'm looking for.
> ..which is that small tight tiny response. I'd li
> ke to have audio boost. I'd like to have a config
> urable notch like the Goldbug/F19/G2 as well, beca
> use small gold jewelry is never going to read high
> er than foil and is often below the normal ferrous
> /non-ferrous boundary.
>
> If you want to really see something special....Fin
> d your unit's ferrous non-ferrous boundary....most
> of them are fuzzy....maybe 5 to 6 digits wide, and
> just set up and hunt for targets that hit within t
> hat boundary. For example if your units ferrous/
> non-ferrous boundary is 39/40, this isn't a hard c
> utoff. There is a transition zone of 4-6 digits.
> Typically the real ferrous / non-ferrous boundary
> starts around 33, 35, 36...somewhere in there.
>
> I've found a lot of earrings, including costume je
> welry that respond in that little fuzzy boundary a
> rea. And surprisingly, there isn't that much tras
> h in that range. Or I should say, less than I ex
> pected there to be. I am hoping that a true micr
> o jewelry capable detector like the Gold Kruzer, w
> ith a program focus on micro jewelry would be a po
> sitive aid in recovery of this type target. We'l
> l see when it shows up if it does or not.
>
> Of course one could always use it for dig it all t
> ot lotter I guess.
>
> HH
> Mike

Raising the coil solves a couple of those bullet points

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 02, 2018 05:59PM
Hey Mike, just wondering how much the Gold 2 on an 800 would let you configure to be a pretty sweet 40 kHz unit? I am not saying it would be better than the Kruzer, I love Makro and have a Gold Racer myself, but I suspect the 'nox may be better than you are thinking...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 02, 2018 06:59PM
Harold, Yes the GSII has a mixed tone that gives a very unique audio on certain target based upon where you set it..

Jackpine, True.

Pasttom, I dunno. Maybe so. The fact is that most high frequency metal detectors are just trash screamers. They need something extra in place for discriminating low conductive non-ferrous treasure from low conductive non-ferrous trash. I didn't see anything in the Nox operating manual that told me they had something extra in play to help with that. The Gold Kruzer apears to have someone looking at Micro jewelry specifically, hence the Micro Jewelry program. It remains to be seen if some of the key features I think are important for a small gold detector are included or not.

With the Fisher F5, in Disc mode, I could run my Gain low, 30 to 50, depending on grass height, run my Threshold wide open with an added audio boost activated, normally a +5 setting, and hunt these type of turf spots with the 10" Elliptical coil and really key into the tiny sounding targets. Chains and earrings, and bracelet parts were not hard to find, and the trash content was acceptable. No micro jewelry of course, its 7.8 kHz after all, but I could key into the clasps and clasp rings and found some pretty small items. I am really hoping that this type of dual control will be included in the MICRO program of the Gold Kruzer. I don't know who is prototyping it but I am hoping they hunt more than sand volleyball courts.

Just want to add, 1st Texas now offers a 4" concentric for the 7.8 kHz models that may make the F5 even better at this than it was with the 10" elliptical concentric. And this 4" coil works normally with the F75. At least mine does. I get full modulated audio on it and get the same depth on the F75 as I get on it with the 7.8 kHz models. Food for thought.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 07:07PM by Mike Hillis.
March 27, 2018 08:22PM
I canceled my pre-order today.

I'm tired of waiting and I want to use some of that money for other stuff. I need to send my Tesoro GSII in to get it worked on, I'm ready to upgrade my V3 to the V3i, I want to get a fence coil for my Etrac and I need to find a good small jewelry coil for the V3i as the little Whites 4x6 DD doesn't have the mojo. I've had all this on hold due to the Gold Kruzer and I've gotten tired of waiting. When it does release, if it looks good, I'll look at funding it again later in the year. In the mean time the F75 will have to perform the task the best it's able.

HH
Mike
March 27, 2018 08:54PM
What did Makro say,
obsolete, get real, no hype, no WAITING ?

A sceptic would say, i'f Makro had any idea Minelab were going to release the Nox, they would have shelved the Kruser series. But it was a well kept secret and Makro were probably caught on the hop, and then probably tried to feed off the Nox with the above advertising slogan, and probably hoped that they would at least cover R&D costs already entailed.
But a sceptic would probably be wrong lol
March 27, 2018 09:04PM
I’m always amazed at how much jewelry my friend finds with his V3i while we are out primarily coin hunting..
I definitely think it would be worth your while putting some funds into that unit Knowing how much you are in to your Jewelry hunting..

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 09:06PM by Cabin Fever.