Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox charging cable?

Posted by Badger in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox charging cable?
February 02, 2018 02:21PM
How does the "USB charging cable with magnetic connector" work?

What do you plug it into?

Re: Equinox charging cable?
February 02, 2018 02:28PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does the "USB charging cable with magnetic con
> nector" work?
>
> What do you plug it into?
>
>

One end sticks to the Equinox(obviously) the other end plugs into a usb port on your computer, wall charger, power bank etc.
February 02, 2018 09:39PM
Thanks Dan.

I've never heard of a USB wall charger so I Googled it. Very affordable. Easy to get.

Apparently you can't use just any USB wall charger though. It has to be the right one or it could cause problems. I guess I'll wait and see what everyone else is using.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 10:18PM by Badger in NH.
February 02, 2018 10:53PM
The drawback I see with this set up is yes you can charge the unit after the battery goes dead and you can even hook up an external power source to run the machine on when the internal battery goes dead BUT once the internal battery goes dead you will not be able to water hunt with this unit using the external power pack. Wish it was set up like the Makro Kruzer with an external battery pod that is waterproof and lets you continue to hunt in the water. I am sure guys will come up with a waterproof case for a power pack to use the Equinox in the water with but it would have been nice for the manufacture to offer a waterproof option for a auxiliary battery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 10:54PM by choppadude.
February 02, 2018 11:15PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> Thanks Dan.
>
> I've never heard of a USB wall charger so I Google
> d it. Very affordable. Easy to get.
>
> Apparently you can't use just any USB wall charger
> though. It has to be the right one or it could cau
> se problems. I guess I'll wait and see what everyo
> ne else is using.
>
> .

Badger

As you said there are lots of them out there at good prices. This is one I got last spring to charge a few of my toys.

Edit: Had to take the link out as it kept going to my Amazon Account

Google: RAVPower Dual USB Wall Charger 24W 4.8A (2.4 A x 2)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 11:19PM by Jackpine.
February 03, 2018 10:53AM
I dont believe there is going to be any way to charge IN the water, not the way its made. We may be able to water proof our external source.... but we still wont be able to attach it and charge while IN the water. BUT..... if i do 10 hours of the 12 hour battery life IN the water hunting i need to go home any way lol. Most of us do have car chargers for cell phones in our car and laying all over the house. Its been talked about a lot .... but is it a real concern or are people just over reacting to a non problem? What we may find is someone like RNB will figure out a smart charging system that charges those batteries faster.
cdv
February 03, 2018 11:03AM
Four hours to charge from a flat battery, I'll just take a 4 hour nap then get back to mining.......

Cliff
February 03, 2018 12:12PM
But Cliff you do have the option to charge with an external doing dry or wet sand........... so if we hunt together you need to get out when your battery is half full and charge. Ill let ya know what i found IN the water lol.
February 03, 2018 12:26PM
I am wondering if you can run off an external power source once the internal battery eventually goes bad. Like if you were in the middle of detecting season and the battery crapped out, could you hunt the rest of the season on an external battery and then send your unit in for battery replacement at the end of the season.
Really looking forward to seeing what this new IQ technology can do and hopefully there will be many videos posted and review from guys and gals that get out there and get dirty.
February 03, 2018 01:34PM
choppadude Wrote:
> I am wondering if you can run off an external powe
> r source once the internal battery eventually goes
> bad. Like if you were in the middle of detecting s
> eason and the battery crapped out, could you hunt
> the rest of the season on an external battery and
> then send your unit in for battery replacement at
> the end of the season.
> Really looking forward to seeing what this new IQ
> technology can do and hopefully there will be many
> videos posted and review from guys and gals that g
> et out there and get dirty.

I believe a person can Choppa.
When connected to an external power source, the internal battery is bypassed. So you can't charge internal battery using external battery and hunt at the same time. One or the other is done not both simultaneously.
February 03, 2018 01:57PM
My first concern about the batteries is not the charging method but the battery cycle life.
If I'm reading Minelab's site correctly that will not be an issue as most batteries , even cheap ones, will last for the 6 month warranty period.
Hopefully the new service center will be able to do quick turn around on the possibility the Equinox batteries don't turn out to be Thoroughbreds
February 04, 2018 09:00PM
Talke a look at the blue Xcals thats still around...... 700mah battery and aint even lith but many still hold a charge for about 4 hours hunting after YEARS. Liths are different in that each cell is checked individually to ensure they are charged equally. Some one mentioned a lith upgrade already on Steves site if you just have to have more hours. But with more mah.... comes longer charging times. Note also the manual gave an example of using a lap top.......... it takes 13 hours to charge the battery.... as apposed to 5 or less with a min of 2a output charger. Id also agree it bypassed as well as some charging much like a computer battery when it dies.... being plugged in you still can use it. The only question is.......if you drain it, it shuts off so how long will it take before it will allow you to turn it back on with that source? It may have to charge a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 09:02PM by dewcon4414.
February 04, 2018 11:02PM
people complain detectors dont have built in rechargeable battery. manufacturers make detectors with built in rechargeable batteries and people complain about charging them. smh
February 05, 2018 02:57AM
I put receptacles in my house that contain USB ports. Many power strips do now. I have flashlights, bicycle lights, police scanners, cell phones, nooks, tablets all requiring USB charging. It was only a matter of time until a detector was going to require it. The worst part is the different USB cables. There should be a universal standard. .