Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox ground balance...

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Equinox ground balance...
February 21, 2018 01:50AM
Seems to me the whole GB default counter intuitive thing is Minelab's way of subliminally making their new machine show better results by making better hunters out of those who use it. They know gold prospectors will GB early and often and ignore the default while park hunters like myself are more inclined to be lazy and use tracking. Clever corporate strategy if I'm right but then I'm always thinking someone is trying to control me by those voices in my headsmiling smiley
February 21, 2018 02:13AM
TNSS....... good test.
February 21, 2018 08:25AM
My take away from this is that Auto GB is the one and only way to go for most people. Except for a few areas in the Eastern US the ground does not change rapidly or much in a given area.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 21, 2018 10:19AM
I think the Deus tried to address this vagueness with it's recent free update. You can now autotrack or not but you can also adjust how sensitive the machine is to ground changes, which means that in effect you can adjust how much ground change it takes to make autotrack adjust itself.

In addition there has always been an on-screen display of the current ground number and a mineralization gauge as you detect so that you can manually "keep up" with ground changes without just doing it randomly or when it "seems right".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 10:34AM by PhDtector.
June 29, 2019 04:03AM
I am bumping this thread.
Lots of new EQX users since last post here.

Some folks using prior single freq detectors may indeed be in a habit of dialing their GB (in a site they are familiar with) with GB number in window.

With EQX using multi freq - a no no.

I may do a few videos on this topic.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 04:22AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 29, 2019 06:52PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am bumping this thread.
> Lots of new EQX users since last post here.
>
> Some folks using prior single freq detectors may i
> ndeed be in a habit of dialing their GB (in a site
> they are familiar with) with GB number in window.
>
> With EQX using multi freq - a no no.
>
> I may do a few videos on this topic.

So, I don't understand what you are saying. I've been ground balancing before every hunt. Are you saying it is not necessary?

What do you mean by "With EQX using multi freq - a no no."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 07:15PM by Badger in NH.
June 29, 2019 07:00PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> So I don't understand what you are saying. I've be
> en ground balancing before every hunt. Are you say
> ing it is not necessary?
>
> What do you mean by "With EQX using multi freq -
> a no no."

Example.
Take Deus. Say you hunt a site a lot and when using 12 kHz in this site you notice ground phase number 72 in window when doing pumping GB. On a return trip and running same freq you could manually dial GBto 72 and hunt away.

Now take EQX.
You run park 1 in a site a few times and notice when doing auto GB you see number 32 in window when viewing GB. So upon returning to site and selecting;g park 1, can you dial manually GB number to 32 and suffer some negative effects while detecting I.e depth ?? YES.
This is what I mean by dialing.manually the GB number as far as being a no no.
And exactly what NASA- Tom is saying in this thread.
Multi freq doing auto GB is different than manual GB.
And a person can’t depend on actual coil feedback either as when raising and lowering coil for achieving best GB setting. See my test previous talks about in this thread and where NASA Tom concurs as being; a good test.

So yes auto GB is definitely preferred to do before hunting,

This post here sums it up perfectly.
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> For instance: A Manual Grnd Bal of..... say.....
> .. '34'.......,,,,,,,,, is not the same as a Auto
> Grnd Bal of '34'.

Now, a theory I have is the milder the ground the actual differences between auto GB and manual GB are less. And a user would indeed see less negative affects using manual GB.
NASA-Tom though would be the one to depend on here though as far as my theory- not me. Above my pay grade.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 07:21PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 29, 2019 07:18PM
Got it.

For me, it's a lot easier to auto GB than it would be to remember the GB number for a particular site. I haven't needed manual GB as our ground is pretty mild.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2019 07:22PM by Badger in NH.
July 06, 2019 01:27PM
Always prefer to do a 'Auto GB' and often,maybe every 15 minutes or so,only takes a few seconds but thats something that i have always done not only just on say the Equinox but also on my Deus and T2 as these are my main machines,on say the Nexus MP i still do a initial manual GB as that is the only way that it can be done on these machines,but not necessary ever 15 minutes or so mainly because its a manual GB and does not offer anything fancy like auto GB which can be a pain in the rear sometimes especially on a site that has had alot of human activity on and the ground conditions can change by a massive amount in a very short area.

Have tried tracking on the Deus but only a couple of times in the last 5 years or so,never use the tracking GB on the Equinox and i doubt that i will either,it just as quick to do a Auto GB every 15 minutes or so on this detector.
July 07, 2019 09:05AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Always try to AUTO Grnd Balance.
> Always try to 'not' use Tracking. It will indeed '
> track-out' faint targets.

It's a very simple, but the very useful tip, actually, for Equinox 800
The most part of interesting finds was founded when "tracking" mode off
As for me, it helps to concentric on really worthy targets

My blog is here: [detecthistory.com]
July 07, 2019 12:05PM
You can of course get your auto GB..... then run it a little under that with manual adjustment.... or over if you get to much noise in a constantly changing environment. Dont think id ever use tracking IN the salt water..... like Tom said ... targets would disappear near that tiny gold range. For beach hunting i auto GB....then if i find to much chatter i manually adjust it more toward the default 0 setting. I find it better to adjust other settings like sensitivity than run tracking to reduce mineral noise.
July 14, 2023 11:11PM
I know this is quite an old thread, but it was referenced on another forum so I'm giving it a bump here
July 16, 2023 02:47PM
Never a problem.
For educational advancement purposes.
July 16, 2023 06:42PM
The way it was referenced on another forum was as a rebuttal to someone who claimed that tracking causing targets to track out on repeat sweeps was an "urban myth"
July 17, 2023 05:26AM
Ground Tracking can indeed 'track out' deep/faint targets and/or....... tiny targets.