Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I agree with that.
May 19, 2018 11:38PM
Too much analyzing will give you a headache.
Re: Equinox 800 report (204) hours field time/ 70 hours testing -Updated 8-20-2018
August 21, 2018 02:01AM
Still been plugging along with Equinox.
Spent loads of time today in my detector proving grounds.

Wish I had a dollar for every button I pushed today. Lol

Thought I would share this. I did something similar when I first got my Equinox. And posted in this thread actually.

Stock coil attached to Equinox.
Dirt mineralizarion reflects 5 ticks in Xp Deus meter.

Clean ground with short grass.

Clad dime at a solid 11” deep. Could be as deep 11.25.
Ground conditions damp.
Freshly buried keeping plug pretty much intact.

Sensivity levels 24 and 25 used.
Tried all detect modes with each getting noise cancel and Ground balance.

No tricks.

Only threes detect modes gave signals.with horseshoe button AM disengaged.
Gold 1and 2.
Park 2.

Park 2 sounded good.

ID of 2 in the meter high percentage of sweeps, depth meter pegged.
Speed 6 imo yielded best signal vs coil sweep speed.
I could get signal using speed 7 ( rated 2nd best behind speed 6).
I could get signal speed 8, but audio funky sounding.
Speeds 5 and also speed 4, slower coil sweep mandatory. Also coil would be a long ways past spot of buried clad dime before sounding off.
Using Gold modes I could get imo equivalent signals running one speed number higher (faster) vs park 2.

Next test a 13” buried clad nickel.
Again only detect modes to give signal were Gold 1 and 2 plus park 2.
Here though signal comes and goes, not as solid at giving signal on sweeps.
Speed 6 again gave best signal.
Depth meter pegged.
One way tone given on a lot of sweeps.
ID though ran from 4 to 8 when signal was gotten.
Speed 5 so, so and speed 4 notta.

Once I got to a lower speed. setting (slower) and could not get signal I stopped checked lower settings.

I can say with 100 percent certainty, if you advance Equinox coil too far on sweep progression, you stand a great chance of not locating some deeper nonferrous objects the detector is capable of locating. Like maybe 2” of progression. Eye on coil for detection extremely small yet is there.

How did the might Deus Version 5.1 11” LF dd coil do on the above targets?
On the buried dime, I rate a signal just because I knew the dime was there, Chopped big time. Played with a lot of settings, programs even did a little negative GB. I got nothing signal wise imo I wouldn’t consider taking a shot at digging.

The Deus on the buried nickel above. No signal I would dig ever. Nothing to even give me hint of a poasilbe nonferous lurking.

The 2buroed coins were checked this morning and again this afternoon 8 hours later.
Same results gotten with each detector noted above.
Btw, using Equinox and stock on buried dime, this afternoon I went one step further. I checked for signal manually selecting each channel after doing noise cancel. Did NOT GB after changing channels, Around half of the channels would at lest give me a one way signal when coil was swept. Three channels would indeed give me 2 way signal. Signal as good as I acquired with auto noise cancel done.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 02:12AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 report (204) hours field time/ 70 hours testing -Updated 8-20-2018
August 21, 2018 02:12AM
That's sorta why I say the Nox is great down to 10 inches on a dime. There's a big jump in correct tone and ID from 10 to 11 inches. Most people will miss it at 11 but stand a good chance at 10. That is still remarkable to me because I don't have any other VLFs that can do that with only an 11 inch coil. Not in this soil. A CTX and eTrac couldn't even get a good tone or ID on a silver quarter at 8 inches here. The Nox can get the dime at 10 so I'm fairly sure a quarter at 8 would be doable. I guess I need to bury one at home and see...not done one since I moved 2 or 3 yrs ago.
August 21, 2018 02:31AM
I think I can say with reasonable certainty, the 40khz used on Equinox with the multi IQ tech is one of the secret weapons.
Also some folks may be reading here.

How did the 2 deep coins above look and sound with horseshoe button engaged?
Lots of negative numbers displayed down to around -5.
Could a person be fooled thinking one of these deep coins is iron by ONLY listening and looking using AM? I think so.
But could a person indeed detect (hunt) with horseshoe button engaged and have a high chance of locating a deep target (more allowed coil slop) position wise? YES.
But in areas with lots of iron doing this may indeed takes it toll on you concentration wise.
Using Gold 1 detect mode will also allow more slop both in coil position but also sweep speed. You can always cross check using say park 2 detect mode.

Personally I don’t generally hunt with horseshoe button engaged.

Folks should think about what I said above as far as coil progression on sweeps.
A 20ft section when advancing coil 11” btw, to deem Nox dead it would take a whole lot of sweeps just in this 20 ft span. And this would only be from one direction obviously.
Two inches at a time.

Milder ground may allow for more slop or faster sweep speed for better signal acquisition.
And more extreme ground mineralizarion wise even worse than my soil in my area generally.

Btw deepest dime I have ever recovered using Etrac and CTX stock coils. Three at 10”deep. None were ever deeper. Lots of 8-9” deep dimes and wheats. These 10”deep dimes did ID as high conductors on the 2 detectors though.

Here’s is pic of my unit control head.
She is used, not been laying around.
Folks, notice the scratches on the protective screen in pic.
I urge all to pronto put a protector on your screen.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 03:28AM by tnsharpshooter.
Spent 4 hours today using Equinox 800 and stock coil in my detector proving grounds site.
I think some folks will find my results interesting.
I did make some finds and actually compared Equinox to itself changing detect modes on some targets.

So how many detectors in one is the Equinox actually?
I can’t say (above my pay grade) lol, but it is definitely more than one!!

Some folks reading here may just be looking at Equinox or maybe they already have one.
Some of these folks may be led astray based on how the actual detect modes are indeed named, thinking they can go by the name for their intended application and get the overall best results afield.

I can say without a doubt, the groups of folks behind Equinox are real geniuses. The power of multi frequency inside the Nox is evident to me. Granted this advantage won’t be witnessed on all buried undisturbed nonferrous targets.

All I know is the Equinox finds nonferrous, and seems some highly crippled. I can’t even say for sure if this being crippled is due to size, shape, orientation, ferrous or soil mineralization specifically.
Is the Nox the end all?
Don’t think so.
I have checked very few targets located using other detectors with Equinox.
I have witnesssed some other detectors struggling or not providing a signal at all I consider even borderline worthy, yet the Equinox is giving full clear(er) tone.

If I would have videoed today’s results it would have been a great video I think. The folks at Minelab would have indeed been very proud. Ole Calabash is trying to talk me into getting a camera and doing vidoes. I may.

I am not in the tank with any manufacturer. I report you decide.

This area today I had already spent quite a bit of time using Field 2 detect mode. This is documented in this thread. My experiences using field 2 while locating and sweeping some nonferous finds buried undisturbed, Park 2 detect mode for whatever reason always seemed to give stronger tone, yet tone was compromised, sometimes even very abrasive making a user maybe think iron.

Oh, I forgot to say and this is very important. It is my opinion Equinox capabilities cannot be fully demonstrated fully with on top of the ground testing, or even buried targets.So what I am saying watch those nail board tests, etc. I too have done such tests, and the real reason I did them was/is to maybe get clues to how Equinox will behave. The tests I did sure wouldn’t a total waste of time. They did help me.

Give me a few minutes and I will post some pics and talk about what I witnessed today while using Equinox.
Tinypic site is down.
Delayed for now.

Will tell in words and add pics later.

Three musket balls found, one rather larger.
One cufflink.
One piece of horse or mule tack
And one small thin piece of nonferrous.
All confirmed nonferrous (totally using magnet:.
Deepest target approx 5.5” deep,

Detect mode park 2used for locating all but one, the bigger musket ball. Used gold mode 1 for that one. Speed 6 iron bias 0 sens 24 used with Park 2. Default factory disc used.

Cufflink gave a good signal with low ID using park 2. A signal I would have bet the farm was nonferrous by tonal signature and behavior.
Checked using park 1, field 1 and 2.
Same sensitivty used as I used with park 2.
Field 2 no cigar, nothing tonally I would even remotely dig.
Park 1 same results as field 2- nothing.
Field 1,I got an extremely weak signal, a signal I rate as I suspected something was there based on park 2 signal.
Gold mode 1, a blasting signal. Smooth too,

Bigger musket ball was located using Gold 1 detect mode. I should say it got me to stop, but what I heard I was about to walk. Went to park 2 and just something about the signal even though it was compromised, broken I was very curious. Glad I did. Target read 15 innthe ground and airtested 15 as well. No telling how many times I have swept this baby in the past with Deus. Was only a 2 way signal too.

Horse tack.
Park 2detect mode only mode of the park and field modes to give any signal. About 3.5” deep.
Didn’t check with gold mode.

The real small thin nonferrous.
Park 2 only mode of the park and field modes to give signal. I did adjust disc to 0 on all other detect modes when sweeping.
Gold mode 1 would indeed give signal. Tiny sounding though.
Checked this target using single freq ops.
Checked using 15khz, no cigar. 20khz no cigar. 40khz a real extreme weaker signal. Needed good hearing to hear.

The 2 other musket balls.
Park 2 only one of the park and field modes to yield signal.
Gold mode 1 gave signals on both, smooth too.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 09:39PM by tnsharpshooter.
Take a look at this pic.
Shot at night.
You see the ferrous and the beaver tail.
Notice the iron is below the plane of beaver tail.
We don’t generally see test like this do we?

Based on my Equinox use this is imo one of it’s strengths over many other detectors.
It gives full tone indeed with ID to boot on this beaver tail with tremendous coil height.

A Deus runner won’t get the signal on this beaver tail the Nox gives. And a Deus runner running using full tones, good luck! A LF 11”coil user, this beaver tail in this scenario, Inwould never dig based on audio given,,tried many different ways to run Deus. No cigar.

I have noticed many times when recovering nonferrous in my hard pounded proving grounds site. Seems it’s not the ferrous at nonferrous plane level that was throwing off previous detectors but more ferrous below nonferrous target plane.

Naturally this test likely deemed exaggerated as shown, in the field with say deeper nonferrous say button size with ferrous lurking below plane, user I think can indeed witness similar outcome as I saw on this test.

Disclaimer as far as above test.
If I rotate 90 degrees and sweep, Nox will false on the ferrous in pic. Deus will too, and other detectors I have. But the Nox does in fact detect the beaver tail when swept left to right as shown in pic. Also goes to show. You rotate around suspect targrt and get what you think is iron false after first locating suspicious targrt. Beware. You could be fooled.

When Equinox gives that little hollow ringing tone, be very very suspicous of those. It’ll repeat many times too with good coil management.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 03:43AM by tnsharpshooter.
New version software loaded in Minelab Equinox 800.

Here is some depth gauge info.
Pic of scenario swept with 2x4 thickness as guide for depth.
With an accompanying pic of actual screen while sweeping.
Btw that’s an 85.5 year old lady holding the end detector in pics.

Park 2 default settings used except sensitivty at 23.

First up US nickel

One 2x4.

Two 2x4s

Three 2x4s

Four 2x4s

Five 2x4s

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 10:22PM by tnsharpshooter.
New version installed in Nox.
Park 2 default settings sensitivity dialed to 23.
US clad dime.
Note depth meter readings.
One 2x4

Two 2x4s

Three 2x4s

Four 2x4s

Five 2x4s were used to test with clad dime, Depth meter unrelialbe here, weak signal witnessed.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 07:11PM by tnsharpshooter.
Same settings used here as noted above on both Nickel and clad dime.

US Clad Quarter

One 2x4

Two 2x4s

An occasional 2 triangles shown with this test.

Three 2x4s

Four 2x4s

Five 2x4s

Based on these tests, I think depth meter performance has been improved with software update.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 08:05PM by tnsharpshooter.
I am checking 11 different coins. More of an airtest comparing the 2 versions.

Settings
Park 2
0 GB
Noise cancel channel 1
Speed 6
Iron bias 0
50 tones
Sensitivty 22

Alright these coins swept real close, ID of these is what I am curious about.

These results below are with NEW version update installed.

Clad Quarter.............29
Clad dime.................25
Copper penny 1964...25
Zincoln.....................20/21
Clad nickle.................13

Standing Liberty Quarter....31
Half dime.........................21
Seated dime.....................25
Merc dime........................26
Barber dime......................25
Buffalo nickel....................12

Next data below same settings using OLDER version software.

Old version results sweeping exact same coins above.

Clad Quarter.............29/30
Clad dime.................25
Copper penny 1964...25
Zincoln.....................20/21
Clad nickle.................13

Standing Liberty Quarter....31
Half dime.........................21
Seated dime.....................25
Merc dime........................26
Barber dime......................25
Buffalo nickel....................12

Clad Quarter showed a little difference. Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean maybe newer version is doing something in the ground or at greater distances depthnwise the older version isn’t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 09:36PM by tnsharpshooter.
Nice work! you have enough material.. you need to write a book on the equinox!

So what would you think the best settings would be for deep silver? I live in Tennessee as well, so I hunt in mostly clay/loam soil.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Gannon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work! you have enough material.. you need to
> write a book on the equinox!
>
> So what would you think the best settings would be
> for deep silver? I live in Tennessee as well, so I
> hunt in mostly clay/loam soil.

The info is here for folks to read. The info is not presented in a totally maybe I call it pure professional layout.

To answer your question.
Park 2, to me is the deepest for coins out of the field and park detect models.

Folks who want to be all they can be with Equinox should strongly consider using prospecting modes. They are even deeper. They allow for more slop in targrt apprach, coil height, sweep,etc.
Folks can always crosscheck targets using the other detect modes.

In areas with loads of nonferrous using prospecting modes maybe not practical. But in sites with limited numbers of nonferrous targets, good to try and use.

Deeper fringe targets located with Equniox, their behavior needs to be learned.

Things like, extremely coil sweep critical.
One way hit.
A very trailing tone provided when swept.
ID not presented or in error.
Weaker pinpoint.
Likely not a 4way signal on many.
If target yields signal albeit dodgy in say gold modes and maybe park 2, but not in the other park and field modes, good sign of deeper target.
User opting to listen to these located fringe targets engaging horseshoe button, don’t expect signal to improve, but rather to hear just more iron tones.

Recovery speed adjustment while over a deeper suspect target can help too.
Seven pages of testing and reporting. All I really wanted to know is well written in your last post. Especially after a firmware update. The older information becomes irrelevant. My opinion......take a road trip and enjoy your retirement and detector. Report back in a brand new thread about your finds and settings. Maybe make a video with your new recorder.
goodmore Wrote:
> Seven pages of testing and reporting. All I really
> wanted to know is well written in your last post.
> Especially after a firmware update. The older info
> rmation becomes irrelevant. My opinion......take a
> road trip and enjoy your retirement and detector.
> Report back in a brand new thread about your finds
> and settings. Maybe make a video with your new rec
> order.

I am glad you found some thing helpful to you here Goodmore.
Also glad to see you come around to the Equniox.
I have read lots of your posts in the last years.
I figured Equinox would fit you nicely.
Spent 4 hours today with Equinox 800 and stock coil in my proving grounds site before a typhoon hit with loads of rain.

While detecting before the rain , ground pretty dry and hard.

Came upon some targets located using park 2 sens 24 speed 6 iron bias 0 using multi, these particular targets the only modes to hit besides park 2were the prospecting models. Field 2 a no go too.

I should point out this particular section of this site has seen previous mainly field 2 detect mode use with Equniox.
Also single freqs ops (all). no cigar on many.

Also of note, most of these targets a no go using Deus hf coils (both) using 14.4 kHz and 28.8khz bands.
A few of these targets could not be detected with Deus Hf coils using any freq band.
Spent lots of time over each target.

Disc 6.4 pitch mode was used as well as 0 disc full tones on Deus.

Most of these targets around 5” deep.

Equinox using park 2, I did dig a piece of coal and a hot rock reading 2 and 1 respectively. Field 2 didn’t give any signal on these.

Very little iron dug today using Nox.
Kept sens at 24 for all detecting.

Relic hunters will enjoy Nox for sure.
I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 02:19AM by tnsharpshooter.
Spent 4 more hours back in the same site as yesterday.

Site received approx 1” of rain. Ground as far as digging today perfect.

Equinox today definitley less stable using same settings as yesterday.

Was it the wetter ground or had the iron gotten wet and come alive.
You pick.

Depth today imo better than yesterday, especially using field 2 detect mode.

I pushed the Equinox hard, trying to get one of those ah ha moments.

I did get a few too.

Equinox definitley give clues of nonferrous lurking, but signals can be mistaken for ferrous.

I did dig some iron today, as expected pushing the unit.

Most iron dug today when comparing park 2 and field 2, with field 2 giving the better signals on the targets that turned out to be ferrous- percentage wise.

I think I can say this too.
Users of Equinox hunting a ferrous challenged site, odds wise users are more likely to miss higher conductive targets vs mid and lower conductive. Yet the signals will be produced by the higher conductive.
Running 50 tones is still my favorite way to hunt these type of challenged sites.

Some very good training had by me today with Equinox.
Loved the softer ground for digging too. Oh what a relief !!!

Forgot to say. Dug one deeper coin sized target today. ( higher conductive)
The way Equinox responded reminded me a great deal of the way Etrac likes to behave on fringe detected targets. No head to heads down today. But this one deeper target, I wished I would have had Deus and HF coils along for the ride to compare. Definitley not a textbook signal on this one. If someone would have been videoing me I would have put odds on being ferrous. And would have been wrong.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 01:55AM by tnsharpshooter.
More time in the field. Hunting with rain showers talking place. I took my wi-stream module and plug a cheap pair of this evening Walkman looking headphones in and put module in a plastic bag and put in my pocket,

I think these headphones I am using is raising the pitch a bit of Nox and I think the slight loss of lag is helping locate nonferrous in highly contaminated site.
The oem BT wireless do sound a bit muffled pitch wise.

Have done more head to heads too with Deus and round 9” Hf coil.
Can definitely say Xp Deus runner had better keep their ears peeled while trying to locate some relics in old sites. Nox runner will hear some targets far more easier. Nice fuller tone.
Got tripped up yesterday when doing head to head.
I thought Equinox was telling dig.
Deus with Hf coil, boy I wouldn’t have dug.
Was going to video. But didn’t. Should have.
Turns out Nox was right. Find was easy pickings for Nox.
A round disc shaped find too.
Meter read 9/10 in the ground on the find with Nox. Airtested with 10 in the meter.
This is gold $1 coin area. This find though bigger than $1 gold coin diameter.
A mere 7”deep.
Deus best signal was using 28.8khz, 54khz didn’t help one bit. A mere tiny extremely short blip tone size when I could get the coil just right. On my best day would have been tough target to locate initially with Deus. Heck it was tough to locate using Deus after I located with Nox. One of those tones where the shortness is making me think using Deus that iron is trying to bump the disc a bit. No texture to the tone at all.
A person might become a better Deus user by doing head to head with Nox.
And vice versa.
I have mentioned this before.
Where I think some folks are indeed learning a detector model using another, at least partially. Goes for learning a detector’s weakenss(es) too,

So far Equinox compared to all other detectors I have used, when I rank. For unmasking and separation gives the longest tone on nonferrous target on average.
This is big imo.
Go back and read NASA-Tom’s piece on F75 series units. This longer tone provided he talks about, it did help him locate additional finds when comparing with previous verisimilitude model using certain mode.

Most other good units in polluted sites give more zippy tone.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 01:01PM by tnsharpshooter.
Does anyone know of a good instructional video explaining the Minelab sounds? Waiting for my Equinox to arrive (upgrading from AT Pro). I always noticed the Minelab machines "made funny sounds", but didn't realize they were actually telling you anything. Not many sound nuances to learn from the AT Pro.
67GTA Wrote:
> Does anyone know of a good instructional video exp
> laining the Minelab sounds? Waiting for my Equinox
> to arrive (upgrading from AT Pro). I always notice
> d the Minelab machines "made funny sounds", but di
> dn't realize they were actually telling you anythi
> ng. Not many sound nuances to learn from the AT Pr
> o.

Congrats on your purchase.
Equinox can be set up to sound differently using settings.
This link here has loads of videos done by new Equinox purchasers when it first released.
Watching these will definitley shed light on what you may hear using Equniox.
Enjoy.
[www.detectorprospector.com]
That's a nice collection! Thanks.
More Equinox data.
On another forum the detector’s ground tracking circuit was mentioned.
I had made some comments about this early on when my Equinox arrived.
So I will share some data here.
This particular data here is using the small 6” coil.
I will do 11”stocker to make sure there are no large differences.
Anyway Equinox tracking circuit SLOW compared to some other detectors.

For my testing over clean ground (area) I obtained a pumping ground balance using Nox using park 2 and multi freq. Speed 6 iron bias 0. Even did a noise cancel.
I intentionally dialed GB 10 points high. Ground read 38 so dialed to 48 manually, Turned tracking on and started the stop watch.
Sweeps were speed wise a rate a medium speed with coil close to ground just like if Inwere detecting.
It took Equinox a full 6 minutes and 30 seconds to finally track to a ground reading of 38.

I got curious and went to same settings above except 15 kHz single freq ops. Again dialed GB to 48 turned on tracking and started the stop watch,
Seemed Equinox beat the tracking time here vs using Multi by approximately 2 minutes around 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

So what about Deus and the new X35 9” coil?
I did the same experiment above as I did with Equinox and small coil.
Deus would track to actual ground phase in under 4 seconds.
I even dialed Deus 20 points over actual ground setting and detector was tracked to actual ground in under 6 seconds.

What about Nokta Anfibio while wearing 7”concentric coil?
Maybe Dilek won’t fire me. Lol
It acts very Deus like.
Doing the same experiment Anfbio wastes no time tracking to actual ground phase.
With detector dialed 10 points high it would track in while sweeping in less than 4 seconds.
I disn’t try dialing it 20 points high as I was very satisfied.

I am wondering why is Equinox so slow.

As a side note , I even dialed Equinox 10 points over and tried pumping coil up and down to see if it would speed tracking up some.
I didn’t see anything based on my tests that indicates it helps at all.
I also dialed Equinox just 2 points high and timed it. After one full minute of constant sweeping the detector still hadn’t tracked to actual ground reading achieved when sweeping coil.

Thought I would share.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 09:33PM by tnsharpshooter.
Ole' TNSS!
When there's not alot of mineral in the ground the equinox takes forever to settle in tracking and so far the mid 30s seems to be a catch all phase number unless soemthings really crazy in the soil matrix. ..

But If your in say dirt like mine in places that's 5 Fe bar soil and a ground balance of say 85 on a T2/F75 then it jumps right to a ground balance.

and that number is usually about a ground balance of 5 in my harsh soil.Hard packed red dense clay

Zero is the default...Much like a default on a VLF is about 90.So a ground balance of 5 is close to the same as a 85 on a F75 ...the Minelab seems to go in reverse like the X-terra series does.

A X-terra balances in my soil at about 8 but move to more neutral soil and its in the 30s..

I've noticed on the Equinox when I move to less than 3 bar dirt that balances at about 70 on F75/T2 the ground balance likes to eventually get to about 35 or so.And thats soil is often time is more loamy too..

When its in tracking mode on Equinox I think its trying to find something to adjust the different type of balance too and it cant...sort of like when a F75 is in sandy soil and it just cant grab a point..

Funny thing while I'm typing i remembered the Musketeer balances backwards from the norm too.

I highly suspect on the Eq the ground balance numbers are in reverse...or seems to be...and it the more loamy the soil the more tile it takes to settle down..If you find the extremes it can jump to it quick but if its not extreme cases it searches and searches for a setting...extreme being iron bearing soil alkali, salt etc..I know in dense red clay it snaps right to a ground balance.

Now reading your trials .you may not be in highly mineral soil and it may very well be its looking for some sort of trigger for the Equinox to track to...if there was a way to set the ground balance 20 points higher on the Anfibio and did do did it on the Deus? I know in my soil if I'm at a harsh soil site I'm usually at 85-87 or so and I cant go twenty points higher.but when I can go twenty points higher on a vlf that seems to be the same soil the Equinox runs around 35 or so in..and takes awhile to settle there.

If I have a known site mineral wise and know its pretty low Fe readings in the area i leave it on zero ground balance..I balance if the site is harsh.seems high conductors are hit deeper like that...anything below 3 fe bars I stay zero,, anything above and and noisy running I balance.Not quite sure its a 100% conventional ground balance in general terms..alot like the CTX in that regard....EQ seems to use FBS BBS type analysis set up...where most of the ground noise is removed from report by DSP...and like on fbs with ground balance offering the ability to use it is there when the ground is extreme..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
I just installed stock sized coil and compared over same spots of ground bs 6”coil.
Small coil balances at 37/38 using park 2.
Stock coil balances at 47 using park 2.
If my coils are not faulty this is unique if you ask me. I have seen a point or 2difference when changing coil sizes on a detector but never this much (assuming same freq used). Naturally we can’t see anything really what is going on with fbs as far as GB goes.

Did this comparison in 3 places in field.

I can say with 100% certainty, in my ground if you run 0 GB you can miss deeper targets. Seen this testing and when comparing on targets in the wild. They like to chop a lot too.
Most of where I have used and tested Equinox it balances with stock coil between 47 and 54. Will cause F75 to hit 4bars. In some places a strong 3 bars meaning the bars come in quick:with 1-2 bobs of coil.
Need to go to higher elevation and do a few checks and see.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2018 02:02AM by tnsharpshooter.
See post on page 3 this link.
Seems speed setting drives ground balance.
[www.detectorprospector.com]
I've noticed the opposite as Keith in bad ground. My GB numbers go higher in bad ground and lower in better ground...into the high 50s and low 60s for bad soil.
A few videos I have done personally with Equinox and a few other detector models comparing.

Equinox Ground Balance
[m.youtube.com]

Equinox compared to Etrac on US nickel
[m.youtube.com]

Equinox compared to Xp Deus LF coil
[m.youtube.com]

Added 11-15-2018

Equinox compared to Etrac on 4”deep silver dime and a nail masker. Sneak peek of Nokta Anfibio sweeping dime.
[m.youtube.com]

Equinox multi freq compared to single freqs 4” deep silver dime with nail masker
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2018 11:11PM by tnsharpshooter.
If I were given a newly released and or designed multi freq detector and could only do one test and make a good guess as to frequency weighting, this would be it.
Little video I did.
[m.youtube.com]
Speed setting comparison test vid.
[m.youtube.com]
So far my using Equinox, it seems it is one of the best disturbed dirt detectors I have used. Deus use to rank tops for me. Now Equinox. Need to specify here Stock Coil. Smaller 6” coil doesn't seem to do as well. I have no experience with the bigger than stock coil.

Now I say this.

The twist is when a person digs a hole and removes dirt ( find still in hole) detection may degrade or dissapear altogether. The same can be said with finds in removed plugs from ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2018 03:03AM by tnsharpshooter.