Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The EQX series has a reject target ID on the fly capability. Talked about on page 49 in the manual.
[www.minelab.com]
I am not fond of this capability.
Water hunters and night hunters especially should be mindful. Very easy to reject ID segment(s) unintentionally. And a person may indeed have to go into the menu and add these segments back. Not always. So be mindful of your speedometer layout of ID segments to make sure it is how you intend to have set up.
It would not hurt my feelings at all if an update did away with this reject on the fly capability, and instead forced a user to go in under the accept/reject portion of the menu and perform all reject and accept actions for ID.

May do a short video and post here. If I get time.

While this EQX is on my mind. I don’t know if this is possible to do with update for EQX. But future models this imo should be considered.
Example.
While in menu subsection of EQX say looking at iron bias, speed, etc.
It would be nice if a person could remain in a menu subsection and detector actually had a smaller window setup for Target ID viewing. Granted it being smaller may not suit everyone’s eyes but having the ability to view ID whatsoever while remaining in a menu subsection would be handy when a user is shifting settings on the fly while detecting.
I do this a lot actually.
Granted EQX does give tone but having ID viewing would sure be nice.

Cheers

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 01:07PM by tnsharpshooter.
Video of Rejecting Target ID on the fly.
[m.youtube.com]

Additional info video- rejecting targets.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 09:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
Noise cancel video.
[m.youtube.com]
Well at least you didn't have the coil on the ground like I see in other videos.
More data. Only used stock coil. I have had 8 plus inches of rain recently, not in one burst but over course of 4 days. Did some short hunts all in the same site. Marked located nonferrous targets in the wild. And went back for 3 days in a row to check signals varying detector settings.
Good solid evidence suggests. When ground was wetter faster speed better, would reach really what a one setting lower speed would do depth wise.

Faster speed setting gave overall better/clearer signals with ground wettest. As each day passed a slower speed would do better progressively as ground drying was being achieved.

Slower speed setting especially on smaller nonferrous, signal more wishy washy, lot easier for user to hear and dismiss as ferrous.

Sensitivity setting.
With equivalent speed settings only adjusting sensitivity settings also noted better signal with somewhat lower sensitivity setting.
With drier ground higher sensitivity setting did better ( clearer more recognizable) signal.

One has to watch using EQx in a rural environment for Emi, gotta watch and listen for overhead aircraft. Detector will get noisy or act funny. Could cause a person miss a find. I try and rehunt certain slots areas I notice I am in when A/C are in area. And do noise cancel too when I realize. Does help too many times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2019 09:01PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 02-26-2020- Biggest 15” coil data added.
February 26, 2020 10:38PM
Video showing strength of multi IQ vs single freq ops. (prospecting #1 used)
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2020 10:44PM by tnsharpshooter.
Some stick time today with EQX 800 and stock coil.
Some things to share.
EQX being Multi Freq, this maybe indeed how folks run the detector.
So today I tried the following.
I put park 1 in single freq 40 khz.
Auto GB. Speed 5 50 tones
Set up park 2 speed 5 iron bias fe2-0 50 tones
Setup up prospecting 1 mode speed 5 iron bias FE2 -0

Ran sensitivty of 25. No horseshoe button in while locating targets. Would use it some times checking targets after locating.

Used 40khz in park 1 to locate all targets.
An area that has seen over last 5 plus years lots of action from me especially with deus (all coils except x35 and bigger 11x13 coils. And quite a bit of EQX action using multi freq mostly park 2 and field 2. This apot is where I found a fake cap bust dime with Nokta relic unit with smallest coil.
Anyway I found quite a few nonferrous finds in this area.
Funny thing was I found most in what I consider the most troublesome from an iron standpoint.
I would cross check all 40kz located targets using park2 and some times prospecting 1 mode.
Several of the nonferrous targets I would have passed on uaing park 2 multi freq.
Folks wanting to purge difficult sites laden with iron might want to try this.

The use of 40 khz does tend to up average moreso, but this is not all bad as target tone running 50 tones can give higher tone than actual corresponding conductivy level of target. The EQX beast is more tame acting in sites loaded galore with iron using 40 kHz vs multi freq. So some nonferrous did sound as good when goingto multi freq, some even sounded better. But being able to not get a headache from iron falsing helps out to actual locate targets in these types of sites. So some benefits a user can take advantage of if they desire.
Also not many detectrors out there with 11 dd coil that can operate at 40 khz.

Really was eye opening for multiple reasons.
Another weapon for folks with EQX units.
No target earth shattering deep.

Couple higher conductive parts of aluminum cans too, would not have dug either listening solely to park 2 multi freq.

Cheers.

Have another place to try this with similar detecting history as stated above.
Owner of property today actual showed up while is was there to fertilize field.
So I'll have to go across road where pasture is and no fertilizer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 02:15AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.
March 27, 2020 02:34AM
But...… how did Prospecting Mode-1 do on these co-locate non-ferrous targets?
Yes...… there's a lot going on in Park-1! In 'most' cases..... it's the trump-card.
I only used park 1 slot to using he single freq 40 khz so it would make it faster for me to toggle to park 2.
Prospecting mode did better than park 2 (equivalent speed setting of 5 and FE2-0 when checking located targets.
But hunting this patch using prospecting mode very challenging with falses, etc.
Same thing actually using park 2 and Multi.
No EQX single freq ops ever used in this site until today.
15 nonferrous finds found.

Now I am not saying 40 khz will see all multi wil locate. Or even sound better.

The behavior of detector using 40 khz single freq was a RELIEF. The folks using multi in heavy iron know what I am talking about.
Re: Equinox 800 w/stock coil report Updated 03-26-2020 Biggest 15” coil data added.
March 27, 2020 09:54AM
Very well clarified!