Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
March 28, 2011 06:31PM
Start with a 66 on this end.. If shy you do not have to post.... someone can do the math later we know Del is 72.... ha
Re: Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
March 28, 2011 06:50PM
I'll be 54 in June and hope and pray the Lord allows me to hunt until I'm old.
I love this hobby.
March 28, 2011 07:10PM
I turn 46 in June and hope I am able to detect for a long time to come
as I love and enjoy doing it so well.
March 28, 2011 07:23PM
I an 70 years old and still hunt coins, relics and the beach. Love to try out new metal detectors. Started out with a Metrotec 220A around 1970 and now use the Gold Bug DP and Garrett AT Pro.
March 28, 2011 07:37PM
Just turned 55. Started detecting when I was 16.
March 28, 2011 08:09PM
As I said in an earlier post 48 soon to be 49 years old.
March 28, 2011 09:11PM
I also just turned 55 and have been MD'ing since I was a kid (I used my grandfather's Whites). I bought my first detector when I was in my mid-twenties.

Michael
JR
March 28, 2011 09:18PM
I'm 62 and have been metal detecting for 40 years.

JR
March 28, 2011 09:33PM
I am 55.....and like Groundscanner......got my first machine in my mid 20's. And there were a heck of alot more silvers back then....and way less aluminum trash. The machine was the Compass 420 VLF/TR. In California, had to hunt in VLF then center coil over target...switch to TR....then slide coil off target.....to get any decent disc depth......what slow going. Note to self........no complaining about current T2 I own......lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 09:52PM by TerraDigger.
March 28, 2011 09:51PM
59 down and 59 to go.....

Tom in SC
TManly......Re: Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
March 28, 2011 09:55PM
That's thinking positive.......plus they will have the geriatric model one day.......coil fits the bottom of a walking cane......electronics fit in handle...built in hearing aidsmiling smiley
Re: TManly......Re: Anyone want to know average age of metal detector users????????
March 28, 2011 10:39PM
Im 75 started in 1962 with a Whites big blue box Gold master, then went to a Metrotech, don't plan to quit anytime soon.
March 28, 2011 10:40PM
40, started tecting when I was 11....1st beeper was a whites coinmaster 2db.
March 28, 2011 10:52PM
64 here, started in '68. First detector a D-Tex BFO.
March 28, 2011 10:56PM
All you guys sound a lot younger on here.......

Tom in SC
March 28, 2011 11:03PM
51 -

First machine was a Whites 5000-D circa 1977. I remember it had a G.E.B. Discriminator... whatever that was...
March 28, 2011 11:09PM
I turned 45 in January. I started about 10 years or so ago but due to a recurring health problem I have been more off than on. I'm on the upswing again now and chomping at the bit to get back at it. My first heater was a Whites 6000 XL Pro.
March 29, 2011 12:18AM
47 years old... but love my new hobby! smiling smiley
dgc
March 29, 2011 01:25AM
61 Silver hair looking for silver coins
March 29, 2011 01:26AM
Born in 1962........Started with a 100-in-one Heathkit (swinging it up-side-down) in 1971.
March 29, 2011 01:55AM
50. Started back in 1973 with a Jetco Huntmaster. Spent most of the 70's with an early Garrett BFO discriminator. Got away from the hobby in the fall of 78' (just when the technology was getting good) and back into it last spring. Now where did all that silver go?
March 29, 2011 02:04AM
YIKES----I thought I was the youngest one in the bunch here!!----At 72, I plan on detecting another 25 yrs. (at least)!!!!----Right Darrel?-------Del
March 29, 2011 02:05AM
I'll be 58 this coming May. This hobby is highly addicting. If I don't detect at least 16 hours a week I get cranky. To get projects and chores done around the house I have to talk myself out of going detecting....I say "self, grow up", self says "it's a beautiful day and I'm due for some old silver" I say "ok go ahead, you can do that chore tomorrow," self says "you bet I will". Sunday comes, same thing all over again. Then the wife chimes in and sets myself and I straight....I need her for that.....seriously ;-)
With this past winter, most of us are crankier than a man wearing underwear 4 sizes too smallsmiling smiley
March 29, 2011 02:22AM
Two months shy of 71. Been swinging since 1972 and since retiring a few years ago, now do so daily. HH jim tn
March 29, 2011 02:35AM
In 1986 my cousin found a metal detector for sale in the paper and asked me to go with him to pick it up. What are you gonna do with that? He tells me "find money!".
"Yeah right! You mean like those 'weirdos" in the parks, diggin around in the dirt" Well..we picked it up, one of those early 70's Whites TR models with the big blue box and gold pole. He puts the batterys in, takes it in his front yard...BAM! His first find, a silver washington qaurter! I was hooked right there. Got myself a brand new 6000 DiPro. I was 20
March 29, 2011 02:45AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YIKES----I thought I was the youngest one in the
> bunch here!!----At 72, I plan on detecting another
> 25 yrs. (at least)!!!!----Right Darrel?-------Del

Thats right Del. Haven't seen you around Qz for a while.
March 29, 2011 03:07AM
47 here, started when i was 41! when i was about 25 my uncle wanted me to try out his big bud pro(i think) and i said "why would i want to waste my time looking for spare change".........now i know its so much more than that.
March 29, 2011 03:20AM
I am 41 ......Started in 78 with a Jetco mustang I was 8 years old.....Never been without a detector since....Could not wait till I was 16 so I could drive to spot's to detect and dig for old Bottle's...

Good thread...

Keith
March 29, 2011 04:20AM
I will be 60 in Nov. Started detecting in late 80s with a Whites Eagle 11 sl. I still have a Whites Eagle 11 sl, And MXT and CZ7a and Garretts and a minelab. where dose it stop?