Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

General Equinox question

Posted by DigDugNY 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
General Equinox question
February 28, 2018 03:49PM
I don't own an Equinox yet but am planning too. I have been paying attention to posts and videos and I guess the main thing I've seen is that people are bummed about how compressed the TID range is. That too many non ferrous targets fall closely together. To my question, is there a chance that if Minelab sees this as a general issue to people, could they do a software update expanding the number range, or would that not be possible?
General Equinox question
February 28, 2018 10:32PM
DigDugNY,

I think the answer to your question lies in the answer to my question back to you; What is Minelabs' track record with updates for the CTX 3030, their 'other' detector capable of software updates?

I expect that the only changes Minelab will make to the software will be to address a problem or bug. (Keep in mind that I do not work for nor have any connection with the engineering department at Minelab, nor do I get to sit in meetings where such matters would be discussed to get a feel for the attitudes of decision makers that could make something like this happen)

Rich -

DigDugNY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't own an Equinox yet but am planning too. I
> have been paying attention to posts and videos and
> I guess the main thing I've seen is that people ar
> e bummed about how compressed the TID range is. Th
> at too many non ferrous targets fall closely toget
> her. To my question, is there a chance that if Min
> elab sees this as a general issue to people, could
> they do a software update expanding the number ran
> ge, or would that not be possible?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: General Equinox question
February 28, 2018 11:20PM
I do understand what you are saying. My hope is that maybe with more detectors having the capability to be updated nowadays, minelab might actually be a little more involved this time around. My question was more or less is that something they could actually achieve by just a software change.

Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> DigDugNY,
>
> I think the answer to your question lies in the an
> swer to my question back to you; What is Minelabs'
> track record with updates for the CTX 3030, their
> 'other' detector capable of software updates?
>
> I expect that the only changes Minelab will make t
> o the software will be to address a problem or bug
> . (Keep in mind that I do not work for nor have an
> y connection with the engineering department at Mi
> nelab, nor do I get to sit in meetings where such
> matters would be discussed to get a feel for the a
> ttitudes of decision makers that could make someth
> ing like this happen)
>
>
> Rich -
>
>
>
>
> DigDugNY Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't own an Equinox yet but am planning too.
> I
> > have been paying attention to posts and videos a
> nd
> > I guess the main thing I've seen is that people
> ar
> > e bummed about how compressed the TID range is.
> Th
> > at too many non ferrous targets fall closely tog
> et
> > her. To my question, is there a chance that if M
> in
> > elab sees this as a general issue to people, cou
> ld
> > they do a software update expanding the number r
> an
> > ge, or would that not be possible?
February 28, 2018 11:30PM
DigDugNY Wrote:

about the same odds of happening as an asteroid strike, lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 11:32PM by canslawhero.
March 02, 2018 11:07AM
Not a big deal for For relics & jewelry hunters, as you must dig all the low VDI numbers, regardless how compressed they are.

Now for coin hunters, looks like you must dig more trash to get your nickels. It's still early but there's videos showing the nox going very deep with very good VDI numbers on low conductors

But not doing all so good on the deep coins, so maybe the etrac And ctx will still be the deep coin kings of choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 11:11AM by Rob in (ca).
March 02, 2018 12:02PM
My Grandpa, not DP, said : People in Hell want ice water. Don't think their getting some. Track record has been poor to be honest.
March 02, 2018 12:22PM
DigDugNY Wrote:

IMO no it won't be happening.
The Equinox, a person can't watch you tubes and really see or appreciate how good the detector is. Trust me.
Equinox wearing 11" DD coil compared to any other detector wearing a stock coil, Equinox is tonally ' best laser beam' detector I have operated.
Notice I used the word tonally here.
This is important to mention. The way the detector's tone presents itself especially when hunting areas that contain modern trash, you will hear the detector tone ramp up with coil movement was it passes over nonferrous of various conductive levels. So just this ramp up (not necessarily) the pitch itself can be a real clue for op to stop and investigate. User of Equinox needs to be running correct speed setting, and they will when hunting in sites will get an "ear" for when Equinox is being cramped, this increase the speed setting a little. One advantage of Equinox 800 vs the 600 where the 800 model is more graduated and even has 2 settings level faster.

I also believe the more compressed ID range will force folks to dig some things and in the end some real nice finds will surface.
There is a gent who post on forms named goes forever, He at my last check still uses Etrac. If folks will notice he digs some nice stuff, but guess what ID conductive number on Etrac seems is lying to him. Most folks likely would walk on by and not dig.

Bottom line Equinox works.
For stock sized coil, the BEST old home site detector I have ever used period.
What will small coil offer us?
I too expect to to be grand. Hope so anyway.

Here is a gent who has used Equinox.
Notice what he says here about paying admission.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Off all the videos I have watched, even videos put together by actual purchasers.
This video right here is the best video done to date that gives best clue to Equinox capability.
Listen to the tones (not just the hits) as the coil is moved.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 12:47PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 02, 2018 01:45PM
Flat no and I will bet on it. However, maybe the next release will.

I think the TID is great. You have some say it's compressed, others say it's jumpy. Im not seeing that and If you watch my videos, they tel the same story.

In fact, with this machine, i have dug the least amount of junk period. In my third video, I show how crazy accurate it is on a square tab.It is a 14-15. Why is that important? Ask anyone who uses any other machine(ctx and etrac included) what number a square tab comes up. they will give a 5+ range of numbers or they may say anywhere in the aluminum range.

IF Nokta/makro ever get accurate AND stable TID at depth, forget it. Minelab and other manufacturers will lose the race. Period.
March 02, 2018 02:41PM
Videos's are all over place with chatter and TID digits. To many doing them trying to run them way to hot as a learning tool. They need to get realistic. .... If u do it in the kitchen or run it at 25 sensitivity thats not real world. ML dont do a lot of updates. ...that could be because they dont need to if tested correctly. They are evolving thou and getting more and more technical and up to date. Like more parts replacement and fewer repairs. .....who knows where the ability to down load may lead. Fewer machinesand we pay for more apps..... thats cost savings.
March 02, 2018 03:10PM
From watching dirt hunting videos it seems that a sensitivity of 22-23 is about all that's needed for good depth and decent stability at most of the sites they were filmed in..

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 02, 2018 03:20PM
Glad I started getting some more responses so I appreciate that. I didn't expect the Equinox was going to be deeper than the Etrac or CTX or have all their capabilities, Minelab never claimed that, but I did like the FE-CO system when I owned an Etrac. I just figured with machines like the Deus and Impact (to which I own both) getting software updates at reasonable times, maybe minelab would get more involved. If not, that's okay too. I'm still getting an Equinox. My hope is that in my dirt, I will be able to get a silver dime between 8 and 10 inches. That would make me happy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 03:28PM by DigDugNY.
March 02, 2018 04:18PM
The update feature is for bug fixes.
March 02, 2018 05:06PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> The update feature is for bug fixes.

Thank you
March 02, 2018 07:52PM
Steve somewhere along the line thou dont you think its going to have other application uses? Maybe not on the EQ, but in the near future? I can see someone making hardware thats THROW AWAY one piece. Then keeping the hardware in place for years and only selling programs/apps that upgrade the box at a savings. Warranty on the initial machine..... 6 mos. if replaced.
March 02, 2018 08:04PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Steve somewhere along the line thou dont you think
> its going to have other application uses? Maybe n
> ot on the EQ, but in the near future? I can see so
> meone making hardware thats THROW AWAY one piece.
> Then keeping the hardware in place for years and o
> nly selling programs/apps that upgrade the box at
> a savings. Warranty on the initial machine.....
> 6 mos. if replaced.

i agree this should be the case.
March 03, 2018 12:00AM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
> Not a big deal for For relics & jewelry hunters,
> as you must dig all the low VDI numbers, regardle
> ss how compressed they are.
>
> Now for coin hunters, looks like you must dig mor
> e trash to get your nickels. It's still early but