Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Some info on my New T2+.................3/6/18 Down the barrel video...3/17/18 Boost info

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got hold of a T2+ and at first before I received it I was scared FTP may of did something to reroute a Good thing...So I waited and wondered ...The ever evolving series of T2's throughout its life span had me in limbo not Knowing which way it would go...

The original T2 I got in 2007 I believe it was upon release..And I instantly fell in love with it.Buttons were everywhere waiting on me!!..and Loved it,,all but the NOISE of EMI...but still I ran it because I KNEW what it could/would do.

The The Camo LTD with bp mode and Cache Mode...a Godsend...What PUNCH or ability to airgap!!! yet MORE noise...LOL...But I KNEW what it could do...

Then we got the V2 (DST) model...Quiet as a mouse where did the EMI go????Yet to me it was not SPARKY any more and seemed to have a LAG feel and the extreme depth targets would sort of just clip out instead of go to a fuzzy sound like on a non DST version..

Then we got the T2 Classic..WOW!!!!! EMI non existent and speedy,zippy,sparky!! LOVED it..Still had a bit of SLIGHT deep target signal clipping but not bad.YET no BP mode for my air-gap pinestraw prone hunts...

Now we have the T2+

Ill make no qualms about it...The T2 to ME has always been a hall of famer status detector and I'm sure others know/feel this as well..Plus I just mesh with it so easily and love to use them on any iron ridden and or mixed use sites...the ID is superb and Its lite and it just plain digs Relics and loves brass..The Disc is Par excellence on the T2 as a +..One of the few VLF I can pick large brass in large iron easily and add small coil and damage some iron and or trashy mixed use sites with ease...I like to set DIsc ((on a say 100 year continuously occupied site most walk away from including me from all the assortment of trash)) up to 80 and just grab all the silver and large brass etc eerily easy.

Go to a nail ridden civil war house full of iron debris and set disc on zero 2+ tones and Sift iron with small coil...

Work open fields with large coils and threshold all metal and dig DEEEEEEEP..

This is what i like about a T2 a very multi use machine and steady LOCKING I.D's when you need it..

So the T2+??...Well,, and I don't say this Lightly...to me it may be the best T2 built To date...As always K.I.S.S. easy interface..same housing and rods etc..although I notice they have went back to the way the pistol grip attaches to the rod like the first ones did..and I like that..there for awhile they used the brass insert and screw to hold the handles on and they had a slight wobble the first ones with bolt and nut did not have...well the T2+ has the old school set up,, really tight no wiggle!When you turn it on its like any other T2..disc mode 60 sens and 1 tone..Change settings turn it off turn it back on and your back to the 60 sens and 1 tone..I LIKE THAT..hard reset everytime..and makes me check my settings on every hunt..Has all the T2 standard tone modes..1,1+,2+,3,3b,4,Dp and now the added BP and like on the LTD BP its two + tone only...same screen new T2+ Written across top of screen graphics..and detector is T2 classic green ( my favorite color LOL!!)

Here's where things get interesting and my worrying was in vane...This T2+ is as fast as any T2 Ive used in past 11 years..and EMI free to boot...there is some sizzle spark on 99 Sens but that's the Gain not outside interference...It lightning quick!!and recovery shut down and separation is enhanced it so seems by the speed...So its fast and yes its still Deeep...

Clad dime indoors Biaxial coil, 2+ tone, factory ground balance of 90 zero disc is air testing 12.75 inches..and non to jsut slight slight clipping its a modulated whisper like old days pre DST...Turn Bp on same dime is now 15 inches.So the AIR depth is as hot as any T2 I've ever ran..and the speed is as good or MAYBE? slightly faster Even Bp mode which is inherently slower seems to be quick still not as laggy as a V2 DST T2 in standard tone..And maybe a tad bit faster than non DST BP mode..I know there seems to havea tightness feel to the tone now in precise way.

It almost feels like the T2+ has a faster processor or??? inside the unit...Tones are crisp and tight and the separation is quick..And that may be away they overcome some of the DST lag..just speed up the clock??

I never used Cl mode on other T2s so I don't miss it on this one and if you don't need iron volume settings and Variable tone pitch the V2 offers but want performance then think basic old school T2 with Bp only thats where youll be....and the Bp mode on this one carries over to the all metal mode as it should!

I would say its everybit the T2 C. in production now yet seems more reactive and there is a slight cleanness to the tone over the C.Its just as quiet as a T2C.but with the added Bp mode for better below 3 to 4 bar dirt and or air-gap issues from sites its a welcome addition...

This is workhorse unit for sure and can do very well about anywhere inland..Hate to sound to excited about the T2+ but to me its the evolved unit I've wished for...I need no notching or backlights or the likes ..Does well on my 9 inch dime in 4 bar dirt like any PROPER T2 and clips a high tone on the 10 inch dime 4 bar dirt like any PROPER T2..

I wont say its any deeper than past T2's of any model in the soil...but its as fast or faster than some models...

Lets call it a PROPER clean running noise free T2..What more could you want if you need a machine that can really SITE SIFT modern/old or combo of both..There's SOME better iron sifters and there's deeper machines in certain soils But the T2+ has some excellent clean disc and quickness that overcomes its start stop audio gate to a point that it makes it hard to hunt a site then come back and not have to work hard on the site with the Iron sifters to manage more goodies.

One other thing on my buried dimes the 3 tone actually has a cleaner more dig me hit ..the ten inch dime is at least 75% of the sweeps telling me to go for it..On other T2's the 3 tone never was this two tone was ..

OK I like this T2+!!!LOL!!!But I always have...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2018 07:15PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Some info on my New T2+
March 01, 2018 12:11AM
As an F75 user, the lack of 'settings memory' on the T2 is a turn-off, it's one feature that really should've made it to the T2 line by now.
I raised the issue of 'processor speed' on another thread on here a year ago. It's a common thing for micro manufacturers to gradually increase the clock rate of their processors, often lowering the power consumption as well, and adding other features. But the price doesn't go up, and the older, slower products tend to get discontinued, or the price goes up. So I reasoned that it's perfectly likely the latest T2 has a cpu 2 times, or 4 times faster than the original, and it's just doing a 'better job' of doing what it's predecessors did, such as better DST (or new noise-reduction variants), whilst still having the same operational feel/behaviour.
However, Carl M (Geotech) said they still used the same cpu as before on the 'T2-Classic', so .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 12:32AM by Pimento.
March 01, 2018 01:05AM
Good deal Keith

can't wait to see a vid or 2 of some hunts/digs grinning smiley
March 01, 2018 01:29AM
An improved T2C, can't go wrong with one of those.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 01, 2018 01:46AM
Keith,

A buddy of mine got a T2+ last week. He was not a fan of the DST models. Like me, he felt they had been throttled back on power. I did until I got the last T2 LTD model. It had DST but was almost exactly like the pre DST depth. He called me 3x after his T2+ came in, all excited. He finally got ahold of one of the good ones, although he thinks it doesn't have DST enabled. It may not...but he is rather happy with the + too.
March 01, 2018 01:57AM
A good review,i still use my 'original' green T2 and its served me well over the years,i dont have problems with EMI as all my detecting is basically on open farm land,this new version does sound tempting but run out and buy one yet,but it if a good deal on a new one came along then i could well be tempted on parting with some money.
March 01, 2018 02:04AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith,
>
> A buddy of mine got a T2+ last week. He was not a
> fan of the DST models. Like me, he felt they had
> been throttled back on power. I did until I got t
> he last T2 LTD model. It had DST but was almost e
> xactly like the pre DST depth. He called me 3x af
> ter his T2+ came in, all excited. He finally got
> ahold of one of the good ones, although he thinks
> it doesn't have DST enabled. It may not...but he
> is rather happy with the + too.

My father got a new T2 classic last month. I fell in love. Light, perfect balance and deep. I’m going to add the T2 plus to my arsenal too!

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
March 01, 2018 02:09AM
Oh Keith when you have time post some of your T2 + tests on YouTube. smiling bouncing smiley

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

March 01, 2018 03:00AM
Guys - you are being fooled! No detector invented before late 2017 can possibly be of any use - much less excellent at a variety of tasks. If that heresy were to spread, parachute jumps would soon be pointless!!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 01, 2018 03:44AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Guys - you are being fooled! No detector invented
> before late 2017 can possibly be of any use - much
> less excellent at a variety of tasks. If that her
> esy were to spread, parachute jumps would soon be
> pointless!!

I Keep many different detectors for different sites. At Max was suppose to be a game changer.. I traded it a week later. Nose heavy, ate batteries and iron audio on? OMG talk about ear blasting non-sense.

I like how the T2 in low disc grunts in iron. Just like the deus.. lets you know it’s there.

Looking forward to Keith S review on snake coils and such for picking out good targets amoungst iton.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

March 01, 2018 04:31AM
Not too bad for an "obsolete" detector.
March 01, 2018 02:59PM
I might be looking to change up my whole collection of detectors. So anytime Kieth talks about something new and great I pay attention. What's the difference between the T2+ and the F75+ besides the names? I'm working on selling my Racer 2 so I can try something else and maybe one of these will be the new choice. Me and the Racer just didn't hit it off. And I'm starting to wonder about the Fors Relic too.
March 01, 2018 04:00PM
Nice report, Keith.

HH
Mike
March 01, 2018 04:17PM
Big Papa -- Just my opinion, but I think if you didn't get along well with the Racer 2, you probably wont like the T2 or F75. They are very similar in a lot of ways. I didn't have any behind the scenes into the building of the machines but from a users view point, it is like they took the T2 platform, and listened to what people were saying about it to make it better. I.E. tone break settings, iron unmasking, etc. To me, they even sound similar to one another, and are very close to one another for in ground depth. For me personally, what always set the F75 and T2 apart from the others, is one of the best motion all metal modes of any modern machine out there. I like that particular platform but when I run it, I never ever run it in disc mode. ALWAYS all metal. So for me, the only practical application for them, is relic hunting. I have pulled some extremely deep items with these machines but to be honest, most of my honey holes are tapped out of F75/T2 type targets.
March 01, 2018 04:21PM
I felt the original T2 was not able to set the disc spot on for an iron nail breakup audio response. One number was s tad too low and the next number a shade too high to get that proper audio breakup response on typical nails. The newer version are improved in a couple ways. Firstly and most important to me is the change to the PF mode. The original T2 falsed constantly in iron in PF requiring a re-sweep. I put up with that quirk because while it falsed on the nails it also pulled coins DEEP out of that same iron. The T2C does not have that falseing problem in rusty nails using PF and the audio is clean an inteligible to my old ears.

Should have never traded the C for an F75. The 75 is gone now and the + is calling out my name.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 01, 2018 08:01PM
As usual - Great run down Keith - thumbs down

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 01, 2018 10:24PM
What a refreshing post and review of a proven detector. Thank you. I think a few of us needed that. thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 10:54PM by Bill long.
March 02, 2018 04:40AM
Thanks Keith. So.....when are you selling it? winking smiley
March 02, 2018 07:51AM
Is there a coupon code for the T2+ @ tekneticsdirect.com?
March 02, 2018 09:51AM
Keith,
60.39.BP. Magic!
March 02, 2018 01:17PM
No coupon needed, the MAP is $549 - which includes the new pinpointer and a digging tool.

Rick Kempf
March 02, 2018 03:13PM
I thought the coupon got free shipping? Contact your favorite Teknetics dealer rather than the web site, you might get a better deal.

March 02, 2018 04:42PM
Needs exacting variable tone break to adjust to site conditions and adjustable iron volume control allowing you to set it to a level one is comfortable with to avoid an ear bashing yet still hear the iron in the background - not just on full blast or off. If they gave us that I’d probably use one 80% of the time unless I needed one of the cream of the crop/top iron sifters or an FBS for certain sites and wouldn’t need anything more. That’s the only thing that keeps me from adding another one to the tool shed.
March 02, 2018 05:06PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> No coupon needed, the MAP is $549 - which includes the new pinpointer and a digging tool.

I'm in the market for a new pinpointer, so I was contemplating a T2+ if there was a coupon because the price of the bundled pinpointer ($129) drops the price of the detector to $420..... MRH made a good point though, without adjustable iron audio, and no tone break, audio fatigue quickly ensues at the sites I detect....at least it did with the F75. Once you're used to having adjustable iron audio and tone break, it's tough to go back to a machine without them, still the pricing is pretty attractive.
March 03, 2018 03:36AM
Jackpine Wrote:
> I thought the coupon got free shipping? Contact yo
> ur favorite Teknetics dealer rather than the web s
> ite, you might get a better deal.

+1 detectingMO has some deals.. shoot him a PM.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot

March 04, 2018 12:55PM
MichiganRelicHunter
Needs exacting variable tone break to adjust to site conditions and adjustable iron volume control allowing you to set it to a level one is comfortable with to avoid an ear bashing yet still hear the iron in the background - not just on full blast or off.
Wayne, I have to agree. I enjoyed the T2's in general and had 4of them, then got two T2 'Classics.' I liked the 'Classic' the best, essentially a return to the original green color, and I liked the T2 C with the 5" DD coil for hunts in the dense iron infested sites I prefer to find. It was a complement in my detector arsenal, back then, to my White's MXT All-Pro. They have their differences and strengths, and in favor of the T2 was the very comfortable weight and balance, and simple yet functional control design. With the 5" it was a very decent performer. The standard 11" BiAxial/DD coil didn't help it, however, because the TID was so unstable in side-by-side comparisons with my MXT All-Pro using the 9" open-frame Concentric coil.

Then in January of '15 along came the Nokta FORS CoRe Pro Pack and it was similar, yet for me it was better. With my bad shoulder, back, knee, leg and foot, the CoRe's 'feel' was overall better. The feature set appealed to me more, and the side-by-side performance afield had me to move the CoRe into the #1 spot in my detector arsenal, and in a matter of a few days to weeks many of my other detectors were gone. The CoRe, like the MXT All-Pro and T2 'Classic', has the full-volume audio response, ferrous or non-ferrous.

I liked the CoRe so much I bought another just to keep different coils mounted that I like to use based of the site environment. Two CoRe devices are still in my Regular-Use Detector 'Team,' one with an open-frame 5X9½ DD and the most used unit sporting the 'OOR' DD coil. They are not going to be parted with because they work and work quite well.

Then, a year later in January of '16, the new FORS Relic was in my hand providing my a higher 19 kHz operating frequency, but also the benefits of Tone Break and Iron Audio Volume, plus a couple of extra modes, especially the 'Deep' offering. Those new operating functions, combined with the performance afield against everything I owned and a lot of which I borrowed to evaluate, easily moved the Relic into my top detector favorites to be in my 'Team' and soon I bought another Relic to be at-the-ready with two different coils mounted. Those are the open-frame 5X9½ DD and 5" DD.

Later, last year and the start this year, I did acquire another T2 Classic and MXT All-Pro to do some more detecting and comparisons after being very comfortable with the CoRe and Relic models. I decided the MXT All-Pro was still my all-around favorite of the two and have a pristine specimen back in my personal detector battery. I like it quite a bit, but still prefer the CoRe, and in dense iron the Relic where I can take advantage of the Tone Break and especially the Iron Volume functions. I parted with the T2 Classic.

MichiganRelicHunter
If they gave us that I’d probably use one 80% of the time unless I needed one of the cream of the crop/top iron sifters or an FBS for certain sites and wouldn’t need anything more. That’s the only thing that keeps me from adding another one to the tool shed.
There are a lot of T2's out there. All very similar, really, and the T2 'Classic' was all anyone needed who was looking for something new or creative or different.

Why do we like the T2 'package?' Because it balances and is a Simple to adjust, Functional detector. But I'm personally left a little let down by what I see coming out of that Tex/Mex border town. They keep taking various Bounty Hunter, Fisher and Teknetics models and changing them around brand-wise, and/or making a new name and attractive decal for them as a 're-package' and have dropped prices on many of them, and keep shuffling same-o same-o detectors out the door. We want something new or offering at least a couple of the newer and useful features.

I look back through the many years and get a let-down when a manufacturer doesn't change a name for a new product but simply keeps rehashing the same name by adding extra words or tags, such as: 'SE,' 'LTD.,' 'Plus,' 'Pro,' 'All,' maybe a '+,' or something like 'I,' 'II' etc. If we have a new detector, name it. They did that with the low-end, simple, turn-on-and-go Euro-Tek Pro, and then the twin-branded F-19 and G2+, and all three of those models gave us Tone Break AND Iron Volume control! Features that are very useful, obviously in demand and are offered by their competitors on newer models such as the Relic, Racer 2, Impact and now Kruzer and Multi-Kruzer ... two brands under one roof like FTP's three brands.

And what do we get here? Another little tweak to a T2 'Classic' with a simple '+' added to the name and no real useful adjustment functions. To me, a let-down as I would have hoped that by now we wouldn't just be seeing a new decal or colorful box or name-tag. I felt it was time to give consumers a more versatile detector. Compete or at least be new, creative, different and in a well liked physical package. Nothing here to really draw my interest away from newer detectors with notably different search modes and features like the Relic, Racer 2, Impact, MX-Sport and MX-7 and now Kruzer series that do offer newer adjustment functions, affordable pricing, and serious in-the-field performance.

Nope, they didn't really take a giant step up and grab my attention with this move.

Monte
March 04, 2018 03:31PM
Monte in my book they have made a very affordable deep seeking multi purpose machine that can hang with the best of them out there. We all know that you prefer a concentric coil over a Double D coil which the T2 doesn't offer but in my soil a concentric coil is pretty well useless unless I'm clad stabbing. With the Whites machines you either need a detector sling or you are going to suffer from Tendinitis in your elbows.Trust me I've been there and done that and got a T-shirt. I ain't saying that the MXT Pro ain't a good machine but I just can't handle the weight of heavy machines anymore unless I am tied to the machine by a detector sling which is a pain in the arse.
March 04, 2018 09:29PM
I'm a big fan of the T2s, u can't take anything away from whats been accomplished. For me personally I've been spoiled by some of the newer features like iron audio and wireless headphones. I personally will not buy another FTP unless it has wireless headphones.
March 04, 2018 10:07PM
Wireless headphones and at least splash-proof are absolute requirements for any new mid-level or above Detector.

Rick Kempf
March 05, 2018 08:35AM
88junior
Monte in my book they have made a very affordable deep seeking multi purpose machine that can hang with the best of them out there.
I agree that they ... have made ... an affordable deep seeking detector in the T2. Note that I said I had four T2's, then I bought 2 of the T2 'Classic' models to keep a different coil on each unit, the 11" DD and 5" DD. The T2 'Classic' w/5" DD was my main-use relic hunting device in the nastier iron trash sites. They still do make the affordable and deep-seeking multi-purpose T2 'Classic.' I simply stated that, for me, I would have hoped they would have brought us a T2 platform detector with a little more 'newness' about it, such as Tone Break and Iron Audio Volume that they have already been offering for several years now with even their low-dollar Euro-Tek Pro.

88junior
We all know that you prefer a concentric coil over a Double D coil which the T2 doesn't offer ...
I don't know who "we all" includes, and any savvy detector user who reads my forum posts, hunts with me or attends one of my seminars is fully aware that I like to use the best search coil available for the particular models I have in-hand. Some detectors just work better with one type of coil than they do with others. I have also found that many people have fallen prey to the frequent posting of comments such as " a DD handles high mineralization better than a Concentric coil" and other blanket statements that are not especially all true.

Do I like a Concentric coil? Yes, most certainly IF it is the right size for the task at hand and also IF the detector it is mounted to also works well with a Concentric coil.

The Double-D search coil design was first implemented popularly in the Compass Yukon series of TR's back in 1971, and I kept and used several of those early Compass favorites w/DD coils. Matter of fact, you said "we all" know I favor Concentric coils, so let me pause to take a glance at my current metal detector arsenal hanging on my den wall and the coils I have mounted for use:

Nokta Impact w/7" Concentric
Nokta Relic w/5X9½ Double-D
Nokta Relic w/5" Double-D
Nokta CoRe w/5X9½ Double-D
Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' Double-D
White's MX-7 w/6½" Concentric
White's MX-7 w/7" Double-D
Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric
Makro Multi-Kruzer w/7X11 Double-D
Tesoro Vaquero w/6" Concentric
Tesoro Mojave w/7" Concentric
White's XLT w/6½" Concentric
White's MXT All-Pro w/9" Concentric
Compass Coin Hustler w/6" Double-D

Current In-Use Coil Type Score?
Concentric = 7
Double-D = 7

Yes, I do like a good Concentric on a good detector, but I don't hesitate to use a Double-D also on a detector that it serves well. I'd call it a draw on this topic.

88junior
... but in my soil a concentric coil is pretty well useless unless I'm clad stabbing.
I Coin Hunt, Relic Hunt and used to be able to Gold Nugget Hunt, and I hunt in some very challenging, highly mineralized ground, often contaminated with ferrous and non-ferrous debris. Both Concentric and Double-D coils can work well, and I very seldom see much advantage from a DD over a comparable-sized Concentric in tough ground environments.

88junior
With the Whites machines you either need a detector sling or you are going to suffer from Tendinitis in your elbows.Trust me I've been there and done that and got a T-shirt. I ain't saying that the MXT Pro ain't a good machine but I just can't handle the weight of heavy machines anymore unless I am tied to the machine by a detector sling which is a pain in the arse.
I did mention that I really liked the balance and feel of the Teknetics T2 over the MXT All-Pro I had at the time, and that I favored the 'feel' and 'balance' of the CoRe over both the T2 and MXT All-Pro. My lightest weight and best balanced units in my current Regular-Use Detector 'Team' are my MX-7's then my CoRe and Relic units, and Tesoro's, followed by kind of a 3-way tie with my Impact, Racer 2 and Multi-Kruzer, and brining up the rear, and two of the fun to use but least used of my 'Team' are the MXT All-Pro and XLT.

I don't use bungee cords or other strap and harness hardware to support a metal detector. I also keep the rod length shorter so the coil is a proper 12"-18" ahead of my leading toe and not extended out there a long ways. That helps to allow much better coil control and not induce more fatigue and strain. I also use smaller-size coils more often and that helps keep them from being nose-heavy. we all come in different sizes, have different health and mobility issues to deal with, and all have different levels of 'comfort.' We have to pick and choose what is most comfortable for us and still provides us with necessary performance. I know I have done that.

Monte