Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TomCA Detects the Spanish Trail w/the Explorer 2

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TomCA Detects the Spanish Trail w/the Explorer 2
March 04, 2018 07:31AM
Here's the video Tom shot of his detecting at the Spanish Trail site I posted a week ago (my initial post/video: [www.dankowskidetectors.com] & [youtu.be] ):

Tom's video: [youtu.be]

He made some cool finds, and he'd love to get some input on some of the items he dug including a killer knife hilt with an indian on it, really interesting flat button.

HH,
Cal
Re: TomCA Detects the Spanish Trail w/the Explorer 2
March 04, 2018 12:31PM
Enjoined Tom's video. Wish I could still swing the Explorer 2. It found me a lot of Civil War Relics .
March 04, 2018 04:07PM
Thanx for compiling the videos and pix into a Youtube video Brian ! We both made some cool finds on that trip. And some crazy 4wd adventures looking for one of the spots, haha

The best coin of the trip, for history and eye-appeal, was your Mexican 1 reale. And given the provenance, we can both hold that in high respect. Based on wear/circulation, it appears to be a pre-state-hood loss. Which, for the area we were, makes it dripping with history.

If any of you Dankowski relic buff experts can shed any light: The 2 relics I am most interested in commentary for is:

1) The dagger hilt thing. I can't find anything on the web (google images, etc...) about it. If you google image "romantic dagger" you start to see some similar (albeit a stretch) types of hilts. Anyone got any ideas on this ?

2) The gilt button with the German rendition of "best quality". That would obviously put it in the range of post industrial revolution gilt button era . Ie.: late 1700s to 1850-ish. But what about the front coat of arms ?

thanx guys ! thanx Brian !
March 04, 2018 05:50PM
Here's some stills of some of Tom's finds, any ID info would be greatly appreciated:

Killer knife hilt with an Indian on it:

Spanish gold?

Flat button with German writing on the backside:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 05:51PM by Cal_cobra.
March 04, 2018 06:18PM
Actually, the gold item might turn out to have been heavy gold plate. I haven't had it tested yet . For plate vs gold. But .... composition aside : any input on the design/purpose ?

thanx guys , and thank Brian.
March 04, 2018 08:01PM
Impressive finds! I wish I had areas like this to hunt. sad smiley
March 05, 2018 12:34AM
I see Brian has " ... with Explorer II" in the title. To be fair: I did switch off to a Tesoro Bandito. And ... IMHO, was doing better with that. Naturally it's better at iron see-through. But the downside is: depth is less, and it's prone to find annoying super teensy stuff. Like .... immediately .... my .22 shell count shot up , haha. I know I know: A relic hunter should welcome any and all conductors, haha
March 06, 2018 01:07AM
That’s an interesting hilt ornament.

Congrats.
March 06, 2018 02:43AM
Thanx everyone for your kind replies.

Update: That gold item turns out to be a " luckenbooth brooch". If you google image that word combo, you'll see many such examples. And it fits nicely into the late 1700s to mid 1800's time frame of our site. Mystery solved on that one !

Anyone to venture a guess at the dagger hilt ??