Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox - Recovery Speed "anomaly"

Posted by earthmansurfer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox - Recovery Speed "anomaly"
March 04, 2018 04:21PM
I noticed a couple of weeks back during my first hunt in park 2, that a faster recovery speed (e.g. 7) created more of a clipped sound vs a slower recovery speed (e.g. 3.) Nothing shocking there. But I wanted to test a slower recovery speed in light of some people reporting great results with a slow recovery speed in a more trashy environment, albeit swung more slowly.

Todays settings were park 1, auto tracking (I think it was around 22-26 if memory serves me correctly), gain of 24, no disc from 1 on up, 50 tones (My E-Trac, or rather CTX memory ;-) ) and a slow recovery speed of 2.

So, I got a deep signal today (with my recovery at 2) - The target clearly has a longer sound as well.. I swing quite a bit slower with the slower recovery setting. But it was only a 1 way hit around a 29 or so. There was a 15-20 mixed in there. That was actually the more consistent number. The old ring part of the pull tab here are around 15 most of the time. So, I thought I might have something good next to one as the 29 was very reproducable. Pinpointing showing something small and deeper.

I decided to try the recovery speed at 7 and I no longer was able to get the 29 VID number! I WOULD NOT have found the target with that recovery speed setting. Note, I did swing the machine quicker to make sure, but that didn’t help (and I played around with angles and swing speeds here). I don't think it was the depth, but that is something I will have to check in the future.

Around 7” down there was a smaller than dime sized child’s pennant. It rant at around a 20 though. I checked the whole and a bit less than a coil widths away was a 15, which I didn’t bother digging.

No video, but a pic.

EMS
Re: Equinox - Recovery Speed "anomaly"
March 04, 2018 06:06PM
The terrible thing about modern software driven detectors is that so many operating parameters can be user specified. Choosing setting level “A” over level “C” may make your machine better or worse at assisting you in ID and recovery of a given target in a given soil matrix.

Folks who know their hunting grounds and the types of desirable targets therein - and who apply themselves to experiment and learn optimized settings will outperform others who don’t.

Lots of scope for online and YouTube gurus to build following - and for writers to crank out books on the Nox!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 04, 2018 06:42PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The terrible thing about modern software driven de
> tectors is that so many operating parameters can b
> e user specified. Choosing setting level “A” over
> level “C” may make your machine better or worse at
> assisting you in ID and recovery of a given target
> in a given soil matrix.
>
> Folks who know their hunting grounds and the types
> of desirable targets therein - and who apply thems
> elves to experiment and learn optimized settings w
> ill outperform others who don’t.
>
> Lots of scope for online and YouTube gurus to buil
> d following - and for writers to crank out books o
> n the Nox!

Someone on this or the other forum stated something like "The Equinox manual is so good, it reads like a book. We won't need one of those with this as it is so good.) Well, after 5 hours of hunting, just thinking about cross checking targets in some of the other modes alone, is enough material for a book!
March 04, 2018 09:14PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> lytle78 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The terrible thing about modern software driven
> de
> > tectors is that so many operating parameters can
> b
> > e user specified. Choosing setting level “A” ov
> er
> > level “C” may make your machine better or worse
> at
> > assisting you in ID and recovery of a given targ
> et
> > in a given soil matrix.
> >
> > Folks who know their hunting grounds and the typ
> es
> > of desirable targets therein - and who apply the
> ms
> > elves to experiment and learn optimized settings
> w
> > ill outperform others who don’t.
> >
> > Lots of scope for online and YouTube gurus to bu
> il
> > d following - and for writers to crank out books
> o
> > n the Nox!
>
> Someone on this or the other forum stated somethin
> g like "The Equinox manual is so good, it reads li
> ke a book. We won't need one of those with this as
> it is so good.) Well, after 5 hours of hunting, ju
> st thinking about cross checking targets in some o
> f the other modes alone, is enough material for a
> book!

You need to start pumping the videos out here soon. I have been waiting patiently for a couple years. Your one of my favs, cheers Chad
March 04, 2018 09:17PM
I get the feeling that faster recovery speeds, above 5 for instance, will be for mop up duty after an area has been hit at the slower speeds and then only in the worst of conditions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 04, 2018 09:37PM
There's probably a sweet spot in terms of recovery speed for the 11" coil, perhaps the fastest speed is intended for the 6" coil, and the slowest for the larger coil.
March 04, 2018 09:50PM
I was just thinking the same thing Tom.

Rick
March 04, 2018 10:11PM
Jackpine Wrote:
> I get the feeling that faster recovery speeds, abo
> ve 5 for instance, will be for mop up duty after a
> n area has been hit at the slower speeds and then
> only in the worst of conditions.

Unless I am mistaken with my testing, folks with Equinox depending on soil mineral levels in a site, will depend on how low speed wise you can go. Sorta like Deus and Rutus Alter 71. Now I haven't tested Equinox yet in 5 bars indicated soil (Fisher F75), but based on my testing in a little less mineralized soil, a user using Equinox (800) will likely never use speed setting below 4-5.

The gent calabash who has real mild ground, one of his videos posted here somewhere, you will notice he can go to level 3 and strike some deep coins in his coin garden. Now coil swing speed - ground mineralization, detector speed setting//size of target/ conductivity of targets, any, part of all of these can be factors in deciding speed setting.

Hunting in inert sand like fresh water beach, the above obviously doesn't apply so much. Equinox in inert sand, I have dug pull tabs at10-11.5" deep using speed 6 park2.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 10:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 05, 2018 03:56AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Jackpine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I get the feeling that faster recovery speeds, a
> bo
> > ve 5 for instance, will be for mop up duty after
> a
> > n area has been hit at the slower speeds and the
> n
> > only in the worst of conditions.
>
>
> Unless I am mistaken with my testing, folks with E
> quinox depending on soil mineral levels in a site,
> will depend on how low speed wise you can go. Sor
> ta like Deus and Rutus Alter 71. Now I haven't te
> sted Equinox yet in 5 bars indicated soil (Fisher
> F75), but based on my testing in a little less min
> eralized soil, a user using Equinox (800) will lik
> ely never use speed setting below 4-5.
>
> The gent calabash who has real mild ground, one of
> his videos posted here somewhere, you will notice
> he can go to level 3 and strike some deep coins in
> his coin garden. Now coil swing speed - ground mi
> neralization, detector speed setting//size of targ
> et/ conductivity of targets, any, part of all of
> these can be factors in deciding speed setting.
>
> Hunting in inert sand like fresh water beach, the
> above obviously doesn't apply so much. Equinox in
> inert sand, I have dug pull tabs at10-11.5" deep u
> sing speed 6 park2.

As TNSS said I hunt in React. 5 this 8.5 inch merc [flic.kr]
Was in an area of high school yard trash. I was working a slope slowly (Etrac slow) and got a high tone (50 tones, Park 2, GB tracking) I kept getting a faint high tone 2 ways and higher vdi
Out she popped. This was my first silver with the EQ800. Since then I hunt slow listening for soft high tones. Hope it works in the future but I will try it at lower reactivity soon.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
March 05, 2018 10:29AM
Diggs4ever - I will do more videos, just need a good spot. My current spot is a bit hunted out, but that makes for good testing videos on masked/deep targets.

Jackpine - I think you are right, there is a sweet spot re recovery speed and Minelab really went too high with 6 imo.

ghound - But Minelab went near max with the 11" coil and the small coil isn't even out yet. I really think they missed the ball there, BUT they probably wanted to show how fast the new machine is.

tnsharpshooter - I looked in the manual and can't find it. What is the range of GB numbers on the Equinox? I think mine was tracking at 22-26. (probably somewhat iron mineralized, but tending towards mild, though the iron flakes create bounce TID's.)
Slow sweep speeds with this machine really work well in my ground. (That is with slower recovery speeds.) Interesting regarding the depth you got in park 2. On another forum I asked the same question and a man said he got 3" on an air test on a dime, with the fastest recovery speeds.

Gannon - Soft high tones, for sure! I didn't notice a setting to adjust how hard coins hit, which is fine as I always like it soft on the deeper coins. 8.5" depth on 5 (of 7) recovery speed is great. I will test a bit there, but will keep hunting on 2 or 3...

Thanks guys,
EMS
March 05, 2018 01:50PM
As You know a lower recovery speed the the better the target response on deep iffy targets. Another thing is a low iron bias setting can help with iffy targets as well.
March 05, 2018 06:54PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> As You know a lower recovery speed the the better
> the target response on deep iffy targets. Another
> thing is a low iron bias setting can help with iff
> y targets as well.

My understanding was yes - on deep iffy targets you get a better response on a slower recovery speed.
But on deep iffy targets because of adjacent targets/trash, I thought a somewhat faster (not fast) recovery speed separated better, relatively speaking. I think that holds true on most machines, but on the FBS machines, due to how they work re sepaation, not really true (to a point.) I'm wondering if the Equinox can really pull good targets from bad, a bit like the FBS did, with slow recovery speeds and sweep speeds, but with a quirk in the tech.
These new Equinoxes can be very fast machines though, so something has changed and I think we have to "relearn" the Minelab platforms to a point. And throw into that our e.g. park hunting but checking targets in different frequencies and modes like Gold or Field, is really really interesting and opens up a lot of possibilities, and in MANY ways.

I'm not saying I'm right with the above! Sort of my honest understanding and just a bit of pondering. After two hours with the machine (first hunt), I was really taken aback as to how different things were. Don't let the somewhat Minelab sounds fool you. smoking smiley

EMS
March 05, 2018 07:02PM
because of weather, I cant get any experimental hunts in.