Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Check out Old California's (Paul's) comments on depth in his area using Nox.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Check out Old California's (Paul's) comments on depth in his area using Nox.
March 12, 2018 08:32PM
Old California
For park turf, yes very deep. Thinking of selling the Explorer SE, yesterday's park hunt erased any doubt of Equinox capabilities for deep coins.

Try to not watch video's eats too much data, I'll watch it I later off a tablet.

Thanks for sharing,
Paul

Above taken from this thread/link.
[www.findmall.com]

Folks might do some good at Cullpeper using Nox in certain areas, one would think anyway.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 08:39PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Check out Old California's (Paul's) comments on depth in his area using Nox.
March 12, 2018 09:33PM
TN-sharpshooter, a few thoughts on this:

1) The SE pro is not the deeper of its class. Long time Explorer users (who have come through the ranks of the XS, II, SE, Etrac, and CTX) generally agree that the SE pro had the annoying habit of not getting a hit on the first pass. Ie.: you had to go over them a few passes to "get the signal to come in". Versus the others, where you were more likely to 'get your hint' on the 1st pass. I had noticed this on the beach one time with an SE. Targets that I initially got as a deep faint nail, yet .... when I criss-crossed a few more times, would start to hear a hint of conductive. And I had the feeling that my II would have gotten them on the first pass. Ie.: not as deep-seeking as the II and the other explorers. I shared my observations on some forums, and got several concurrences from other long-time users.

That's not to say the SE isn't great, but ... when that incarnation of the explorer lineup got introduced, one thing that Minelab had done, is to speed up recovery a lot. And the "cost" of that, was the very deep targets want to get tuned out, before you get the TID. So you to work at the deeper ones with a little intent and careful- ness. VS the others, where you were more likely to get it on the first swing.

2) Paul is more of a relic hunter. Not a turf hunter. Although, yes, he enjoys a good turf for tech. comparisons, yet .... that's not his main arena of md'ing. There are other turf hunters (with longer pedigrees when it comes to deep turf strategy) that are not weighing in the same.
Re: Check out Old California's (Paul's) comments on depth in his area using Nox.
March 12, 2018 09:43PM
Tom,
I have seen a few reports from folks, one being Mr Steve Herschbach.

They go like this it seems.
In higher mineral ground, fbs/fbs 2 will detect nonferrous, but will as depth deepens, ID and tone turn to iron tone and iron ID.
Comparing Nox to the same depth targets as fbs/fbs2, seems Nox is able to ID these nonferrous targets indeed as nonferrous at depth deeper than either fbs/fbs2 units.
Now, how much depth advantage does the ?Nox bring here.
I can't say, but any and all in this kinda of soil I think would be welcomed.

I will await for even more reports.

DanielTn may be able to share with us Some info on this very subject.
I
There is also a good chance I will be going to an area with some bad azz soil.
When I go the mighty Equinox and Etrac will be there. I will try and compare.

Also based on my use of Equinox as well as XS explorer, and CTX, lower conductive target, in hotter soil expect to see depth advantage for Equinox to be even greater than fbs/fbs 2 units vs on higher conductive targets. A $2.50 gold coin in hot soil, has a higher risk of being found with Nox vs any fbs/ fbs 2 unit. Just one example. If we add the mighty $1 gold coin here into the equation, Nox odds vs Fbs/fbs2 odds become more astronomical favoring Nox. And these odds mentioned here, don't even account for Nox performance in and around iron. So add this in, odds grower higher favoring Nox.

This thread a new one here and addresses this issue being discussed some at least.
[www.detectorprospector.com]

Btw, Paul is IMO one of the best when it comes to talking about soil masking. He is part of an elite group. Others include NASA-Tom, Keith Southern and Steve Herschbach.
Just thought I would add. My opinion of course.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 10:25PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 12, 2018 09:49PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TN-sharpshooter, a few thoughts on this:
>
> 1) The SE pro is not the deeper of its class. Lo
> ng time Explorer users (who have come through the
> ranks of the XS, II, SE, Etrac, and CTX) generally
> agree that the SE pro had the annoying habit of no
> t getting a hit on the first pass. Ie.: you had t
> o go over them a few passes to "get the signal to
> come in". Versus the others, where you were more
> likely to 'get your hint' on the 1st pass. I had
> noticed this on the beach one time with an SE. T
> argets that I initially got as a deep faint nail,
> yet .... when I criss-crossed a few more times, wo
> uld start to hear a hint of conductive. And I ha
> d the feeling that my II would have gotten them on
> the first pass. Ie.: not as deep-seeking as the I
> I and the other explorers. I shared my observatio
> ns on some forums, and got several concurrences fr
> om other long-time users.
>
> That's not to say the SE isn't great, but ... when
> that incarnation of the explorer lineup got introd
> uced, one thing that Minelab had done, is to speed
> up recovery a lot. And the "cost" of that, was t
> he very deep targets want to get tuned out, before
> you get the TID. So you to work at the deeper one
> s with a little intent and careful- ness. VS the
> others, where you were more likely to get it on th
> e first swing.
>
> 2) Paul is more of a relic hunter. Not a turf hu
> nter. Although, yes, he enjoys a good turf for te
> ch. comparisons, yet .... that's not his main aren
> a of md'ing. There are other turf hunters (with
> longer pedigrees when it comes to deep turf strate
> gy) that are not weighing in the same.[/

Nice to speak about someone else's expertise and then call out some unknown pedigree's

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 09:52PM by Jackpine.
March 12, 2018 10:30PM
Jackpine Wrote:
>
> Nice to speak about someone else's expertise and t
> hen call out some unknown pedigree's

Jackpine, I know Paul personally. Have hunted with him many times. And he'd agree with everything I'm saying. And he's hunted side-by-side in turf with the long-time turf guy that I speak of (that you might have heard of ) "Ron Swenson". Ron is now almost 100% relic. But at one time, before graduating to gold rush relicky spots, he was a fabled turf legend here. He single-handedly turned scores of Californians on to the Explorers (because he was spanking all of us in worked-out parks). We used to joke that he was a "shill for Minelab", haha.

So there is nothing I have said that Paul himself wouldn't agree with. And I hesitated to start "naming names". But, ok, now you have it .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2018 10:33PM by Tom_in_CA.
March 12, 2018 11:58PM
Chill everybody. Paul (Old CA) is a gem - a man of deep experience and - amazing generosity.

Turf vs. relic - fair ‘nuff.

I don’t think anyone meant to disparage Paul’s bona fides.

Let’s let it rest there.

Metal detecting anybody?

P.S. I like my new 800, but in my 3-4 “bar” AZ dirt, it isn’t deeper than my F75. About equals my T2 until I add boost, then the T2 gives an inch or so of “Air gap” over the dirt compared to the 800.

I will be playing with the two of them - plus my old CZ6 inland and at beaches up the whole east cost for the next 5 months - starting Thursday!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 13, 2018 02:10AM
You need more time on your Nox, Rick.
March 13, 2018 02:20AM
PMO, you’re right - starting Thursday I will have “oceans” of time to enjoy and challenge it - inshallah (as they say over yonder).

I’m not “nockin’” the Nox. Just saying that so far, raw depth in moderately high mineralized soil doesn’t beat the F75. Time will tell if my initial impressions are accurate.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 13, 2018 03:11AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> TN-sharpshooter, a few thoughts on this:
>
> 1) The SE pro is not the deeper of its class. Long time Explorer users (who have come through the
> ranks of the XS, II, SE, Etrac, and CTX) generally agree that the SE pro had the annoying habit of not getting a hit on the first pass.
> Ie.: you had to go over them a few passes to "get the signal to come in".

I think the likes of Mike Walding and Ron Swenson would disagree with that statement.
March 13, 2018 09:14AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

> I think the likes of Mike Walding and Ron Swenson
> would disagree with that statement.

Really ? Gee, that's funny. Ron Swenson is who I got it from . I can link you to the thread where it was discussed long and hard with him.
March 13, 2018 12:48PM
> Really ? Gee, that's funny. Ron Swenson is who I
> got it from . I can link you to the thread where
> it was discussed long and hard with him.

Isnt he the guy with the mustache on the show Parks and Recreation? Hmm, didn't know he was a detectorist too!
March 13, 2018 01:03PM
BIG PAPA Wrote:
> > Really ? Gee, that's funny. Ron Swenson is who
> I
> > got it from . I can link you to the thread wher
> e
> > it was discussed long and hard with him.
>
>
> Isnt he the guy with the mustache on the show Park
> s and Recreation? Hmm, didn't know he was a detect
> orist too!

Not sure what you're referring to. But if you do a youtube search for "California relic adventure", or take a look at the latest Eastern / Western Treasure mag., you'll see him.
March 13, 2018 01:18PM
The term " Minelab Wiggle" comes to mind. It was definitely needed even more on many ulta deep coins in my experience with the SE model. Minelab also boosted the pinpoint power on the SE .
March 13, 2018 06:04PM
silverhound Wrote:
> The term " Minelab Wiggle" comes to mind. It was d
> efinitely needed even more on many ulta deep coins
> in my experience with the SE model. Minelab also b
> oosted the pinpoint power on the SE .

Correct. Exactly. The SE needed more wiggling over suspected target to get the TID to "bring it in". (And even then-so, with more grasping for guesses). Versus the II, CTX, etrac, etc.... which tended to get it on the first pass.

What this means, in practical application, is that unless you were scrutinizing all the deeper whispers one-by-one, you could miss deeper targets. Because you weren't "drawn to the them" to investigate in the first place.

Thanx for the concurrence.