Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

So when did detecting a 10 inch dime become the " The Gold Standard" ?

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
So when did detecting a 10 inch dime become the " The Gold Standard" ?
March 23, 2018 11:32AM
Since I have never found one in my soil was this based on air testing CZ models only?
Re: So when did detecting a 10 inch dime become the " The Gold Standard" ?
March 23, 2018 12:29PM
Its not common for me in “good” soil and even then I need a huge coil to do it on the best of days. Most of these “10” dimes are in reality 8-9” dimes and there are better ways to find coins anyway than to dig mile deep holes. I’ve dug many many very deep coins but NOTHING compared to the ones I’ve found at lesser depths in better producing sites. Absolutely “TRULY 10” dimes measured at their original resting place” videos are quite hard to come by,though the anecdotal evidence abounds....
March 23, 2018 12:41PM
That's a good question. I just kinda fell into that as everyone seems to want to know how deep will it detect a dime? I do measure my targets in my test garden...
March 23, 2018 02:33PM
A ten inch dime would have to measure about 3" in diameter to detect it out west in CA or AZ. just sayin'.
March 23, 2018 03:13PM
Seems like a standard that stuck. Also, seems like a high % of detectorists are ok with the dime. It was started by a highly experienced, well known, engineer. When this guy speaks, the whole room goes quiet and all heads turn.

If a detector hits a 10" dime in the ground in average soil...that's a big deal and a test for companies to shoot for. Around here in PA, we have revolutionary era old coins, they are deep.....and they are down there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 03:14PM by ozzie.
March 23, 2018 03:30PM
Depends on your area...some areas just not there..Here in Pa. average silver dime about 6 inches but in real old areas we have 10-12 inch silver dimes and now and then find one as most detectors won't reach them...Need a CZ or Explorer series in most cases. Depending on your ground tough job to retrieve one unless you have a shovel...
woodchiphustler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since I have never found one in my soil was this b
> ased on air testing CZ models only?

It was at one time, widely known that the early Los Banos CZ3D models would air test Dimes at 10+ inches all day.

If NASA Tom tweaked a later First Texas model for someone, it too would hit at 10" on dimes.

This equates to even more depth when actually hunting in the dirt since older targets would be electrically connected in the soil.
That magic "halo" is real. The minerals in the soil and moisture help to make the target appear to the detector as more conductive.

Many people started using this unit of measure as a performance benchmark. Many people have test gardens that have
harder to detect items such as dimes at various depths from 5 to 12".

NASA Tom had some specific parameters for setting up a test garden that actually accurately simulate real world conditions for a target to be
electrically connected to the soil. I can vouch for the effectiveness as I did it many years ago. Both of my 12" clad and silver dimes eventually became viable targets for my CZ3D.

Many people will argue that they never see any coins past 7 or 8 inches. This may be completely accurate for their soil conditions, sink rate for the area, average moisture conditions, time of day with EMI and RFI conditions etc etc however......
not everything is equal and there are instances of where coins will be found at extreme depths, it simply depends on the variables in your area.

Down here in south Florida we have sand and sand has some extreme sink rate.
Yesterday I was hunting in front of the Margaritaville resort on Hollywood beach. I dug an extremely green and slightly crusty clad dime (pictured) from the towel line that was so very well electrically connected, it had turned the soil, in this case (sand) green with oxides.
It was a very weak target signal and I barely picked it up but as I always do, I moved some sand with a swipe or two and put the coil on it. I usually attempt to make note of how deep these faint targets are and found a dime at roughly 13" and I'd give that a plus or minus 1/2 " either way.

I also dug a heavily concreted quarter at around 15" (pictured) that was also on the towel line and also below the dry sand in the compacted wet sand. The surrounding sand was full of oxides leached from the coin.
The two other quarters pictured where also relatively deep somewhere past 10" and where the hard packed moist sand put a halt to their sinking.

Metals and salt sand act like a battery, there's quite a bit of electrolysis going on, the longer its in the ground the better it electrically connects and this helps to detect it at greater depth.
The same holds true for all other soil matrix.
You might not see oxides surrounding a coin but they are there if its been in the ground for a while, this is a byproduct of the coin breaking down but at the same time making that halo effect to electrically connect to the soil.

These deeper targets are an almost everyday occurrence for me while hunting for jewelry on the towel line at any south Florida beach. I usually do not bother to carefully excavate these targets, I simply dig with the scoop while intermittently sweeping the hole for audio.
Sometimes as with yesterday, my curiosity get the best of me and I have to know how deep it is. Its easy to dig in wet compacted sand so I slow down and excavate while paying attention to the depth, orientation etc etc .

I think that a dime at 10" is a perfect test for most detectors as long as the test garden is configured to simulate real world conditions.
I had clad dimes at 5, 7, 10 and a clad at 12 and silver at 12 in my test garden. I no longer own the house so I'll be setting it up again when I move soon.

As far as air testing, it not in any way accurate enough to determine the true depth capabilities of a detector, its hit or miss, ball park analysis but it is fun and entertaining to do.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
March 23, 2018 08:59PM
I remember when a 6" dime was the standard. I agree 10" dime is now the standard to go for.

Rick
March 24, 2018 01:10PM
when gold got too expensive!

Sorry, somebody had to say it.

Wayne
March 25, 2018 04:11PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember when a 6" dime was the standard. I agre
> e 10" dime is now the standard to go for.
>
> Rick

+1