Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Headphone recomendation.

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Why is stereo important Tom?
April 13, 2011 04:41AM
I have a pair of Koss Pro 4AA that would be similar in sound to the QZ99. There heavy and tend to fall off your head. they don't have a volume
control and the cord is is little on the long side. Other than that there perfect
i bought them from Amazon and I think I had them at my door in 3-4 days. I live in Canada.
April 13, 2011 11:09AM
The SunRay Pro Golds are the best I've had. Their really light and comfortable, well built. Wore them for 5hrs yesterday and hardly knew they were on.
April 14, 2011 03:19PM
Is the higher the omh on headphones the better? I have very bad hearing in bouth ears,80 to 90% deaf. I was told that the higher the better. I have a pair that is 170 omh that work but dont know it that is better or not. Thanks Dean
Impedance is what counts....Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 15, 2011 12:49AM
The lower the impedance, the better, for metal detectors. Look at the impedance on the Koss QZ-99 on Amazon, which is built for detectors/scanners. And then check the impedance on other headphones. See the difference?
The lower the impedance, the less power it takes to drive the speakers. Detectors are low power devices.

"Because of the limited power available from a mp3 players/detectors/scanners, headphones for portable use should have a maximum impedance of 64 ohms, the lower the impedance, the more efficient the 'phones, and the more volume you'll get out of them."

Use the above quote as a guideline.

Here are the spec's:

QZ99

Frequency Response 40-20,000 Hz
Impedance 60 ohms
Sensitivity 102 dB SPL/1mW
Distortion <0.3%
Cord Coiled, Single Entry, 8ft

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 08:23AM by TerraDigger.
Re: Impedance is what counts....Re: Headphone recomendation.
April 16, 2011 01:50AM
Thanks TerraDigger, Now i will need to find a new set of phones. I have aids in bouth ears,and the 170 omh do work.
Re: Headphone recomendation.
May 14, 2011 08:46PM
I have poor hearing , tinnitus , & mostly need to wear hearing aids. High pitch sounds are about inaudible to me. I just got a pair of Koss QZ-99 & will post what I think of them later . I know that I cannot hear anything in the house when I have them on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 10:29AM by Esteban.
May 14, 2011 08:59PM
Watch the warranties...as they vary and many charge shipping and a fee to fix or replace...some work better on different units and as always personal hearing and individual preferences come into play. No perfect headphone just what works for you in your neck of the woods and of course your financial situation as they can be pricey...
May 15, 2011 03:16AM
very interested in some of your reviews!!! i too have about 40% hearing loss and was wondering if there are any phones with amplification or equalization(tone adjust)
chuck.
May 15, 2011 03:53AM
Sunray Pro Golds are made by Killer B.I have found the Grey Ghosts and Killer B's to be the best for me.I have a set of the QZ99's and they sound "tinny" to me.I've owned every model of Killer B's and they all were very good.I have 2 sets of Grey Ghosts and there great also.
May 15, 2011 06:25AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watch the warranties...as they vary and many
> charge shipping and a fee to fix or replace...some
> work better on different units and as always
> personal hearing and individual preferences come
> into play. No perfect headphone just what works
> for you in your neck of the woods and of course
> your financial situation as they can be pricey...

they can be indeed dan!..very pricey!..one must "check" around carefully,and study "all specs"
and NOT just 'GRAB' what is "popular" as you may over pay,when a lower priced pair would be just as good!
as always,"let the buyer beware!" just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
May 15, 2011 01:31PM
I just ordered a set of QZ99's for a CZ-3D I am getting from NASA Tom. They appear to be a bargain for the price. I seriously consided some Sunray Golds but after a Google search I got turned off.
Way too many complaints about cord problems and earcup cracks (not covered by warranty). I was also looking at some Grey Ghosts but did not really find many reviews about them. Still may buy a
pair just to have as a backup.
Lipservice......Re: Headphone recomendation.
May 15, 2011 03:33PM
Let us know how you like the QZ-99's after you have field tested them. I have been pondering purchasing them as I don't have the scratch to get a $100.00 set of headphones.
Re: Lipservice......Re: Headphone recomendation.
May 16, 2011 04:35AM
they are great!..i bought a pair for $40.00 off amazon.com
they don't give you a headache by fitting so tight around your head,AND
they do a great job sealing out outside noise!..very clear,and distinct audio!
the phones come with a "lifetime warranty" that is the "real deal"..koss backs 'em
for a small postage fee "forever".

(h.h.!)
j.t.
May 16, 2011 11:27PM
Update after a little testing & comparison.

I am about 65-70% deaf with severe high pitch noise hearing loss. I also have constant tinnitus .
I took my new headphones out & tried to compare them to the cheaper ones [ Audio 200 ] that I have. I tested these on a CZ3d & a CZ5 .
The new Koss are heavier , about 6-8 oz. more than my old ones, but you can see the much better quality of construction. They fit my head well & were comfortable. They seal around my ears much better already eliminating a lot of ambient noise. I don't think I will have any problems wearing them , but they will be a little hotter than the old ones. I started hunting with the CZ3d first , & there is a little better sound quality , just like better car speakers , with the Koss. It was almost silent when wearing them & I could barely hear a car when it drove by 100 ft. away. Signals sounded a little sharper & clearer to me. I started a lawnmower about 100ft away & although I could hear it, it only sounded about 1/3 as loud as with my old headphones. They sealed so well that I wasn't as distracted as I would have been wearing my old set. Once, I started hunting with the old headphones & then switched to the new ones. I was able to hear just a little chatter with the new ones that I could not hear with the old ones , & had to turn the sensitivity down a little more.
*** One note,, there is a stereo inline switch & only one volume control . My loss of hearing is close to evenly balanced,, but if someones hearing was much worse in one ear that the other, I would look for a set with dual volume controls.
Overall,, I am pleased with these. They have a great warranty. I don't mind paying shipping costs to return an item for repairs. I got them off " that " auction site for $40 & that included free shipping. I do believe they will help improve my detecting skills .
Esteban.....Re: Headphone recomendation.
May 17, 2011 03:02AM
Thank you so much for your input. Your hearing loss is almost a carbon copy of mine. Your described experience has made my decision on the QZ-99. My gratitude for the post. And thanks to JMaryt also.
Being a medical flight line crash crew person in the Navy took its toll on my hearing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 06:12AM by TerraDigger.
Re: Esteban.....Re: Headphone recomendation.
May 17, 2011 05:36AM
i had an opportunity to checkout "killer bees"at a detector distributor here in mass,
and i was glad i did,because all of their models fit so tightly,as to make
it very uncomfortable to wear even for few minutes!i knew that i would never buy these,and could not believe for the money
they want,that these fit so poorly.the QZ-99's are ,in my view far more comfortable,and the audio is superb for such a low cost set of headphones.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Re: Esteban.....Re: Headphone recomendation.
May 18, 2011 10:45AM
The Army , while in Vietnam , caused my hearing loss. As I have gotten older,, it has progessively gotten worse.
I hunted almost all day with these & the CZ3 yesterday. My only complaint would be the long cord. I have some of stuffed & carried in my tool belt mount that I use where the CZ control box is located. It was in the 70°'s & they were not hot at all. I did not wear hearing aids && the headphones as there was no need.
May 24, 2011 10:31AM
Just bought a set of the newest noise cancelling Bose 15s and should receive them in a few days.

I'll report back.
May 24, 2011 12:57PM
I wish some phone Mfg. would come out with a set of phones that had a adjustable tone control.; maybe its not pratcial but, It seems to me that if they can put a "boost" in em they could put in a tone pot.
May 24, 2011 09:08PM
The QZ99s are a keeper. I love the sound quality. Build quality is excellent also. A bit heavy but they really mute background noise well.
We'll see when it's 100deg out if my ears sweat.
July 23, 2011 01:34PM
The $300 Bose 15's appear to be wired for stereo so only so they give only one channel (one ear) of output on my F75 LTD. But they work fine on the Etrac. However the audio is very different, and not nearly as clean as my Killer Bees with the active noise suppression turned on. My best analogy is akin to hearing sounds underwater... A very strange and unnatural tone to which you never really get comfortable.

But for 9 hour international flights, with a constant drone of air over the fuselage, they are worth their weight in gold.
July 23, 2011 07:03PM
I currently use the killer Bee's wasp which I like alot. I have had the sunray pro's inthe past also which are good phones. The only difference I noticed is the killer bees have the interlocking toggle switch so they won't get knocked out of place in the feild. And the ear cups seem to be a liitle more comfortable for my ears anyways. There both great headphones.