Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?
August 10, 2018 02:22PM
Calabash give this program a try. LINK

tabman
August 10, 2018 02:56PM
not true! i dont have an aversion to new stuff at all!..to avoid any confusion and misunderstanding,the tesoro accomplishes the tasks you laid out,just
does it differently with the "one" single tone.the end result is the same!..a "preferred" way of hunting is all!

(h.h!)
j.t.
August 11, 2018 02:01AM
Quite an entertaining thread here.

I think some folks here though have a problem with relating to the metal,detecting world as a whole.

Some of the newer detectors I think are more efficient. They can save a person time for finds found/dug. This doesn’t mean some of the other older models won’t work and find some of the finds found with newer detectors.

A few facts, at least my experiences.
You can take a mighty Deus with LF coil any size, and a lot of other detectors into a site relic hunting. You think you got it all, better THINK again. Might want to consider detector’s running at 25khz-40 khz. And some others with smaller coils.

I also when I see a person loaded up with really just one manufacturers detectors, this tells me something.

For a complete VERY GOOD arsenal for both coin and relic hunting, there is not one manufacturer that makes models of detectors that are the TOP notch rated for all conditions/scenarios.

Now some folks here do have loads of detecting time.

Maybe the real question here should be, if you had to choose a couple models detectors each to coin hunt and relic hunt, which models would be the easiest to teach a wet behind the ears detectorist. To get them at least moderately proficient in the shortest amount of time. Assume average intelligence of the new detectorist.

I already have my thought on this. And TESORO anything is not one of my picks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 02:18AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 11, 2018 03:06AM
and your thoughts would be correct!..any tesoro is a 'fun" detector..it's not perfect,and i admit by today's
standards IS lacking in advanced technological features.however,with that said,a detectorist who owns just "one"
detector,and is proficient with it,CAN make a significant difference afield!..

(h.h!)
j.t.
August 11, 2018 03:12AM
First I do love the Tesoro discrimination and its simplicity makes it fun. However, I think Tesoro can do more. Keith has talked about Tesoro Tejon having so much potential. They could have taken the Tejon further by just adding an extra tone. Perhaps an adjustable notch (floating high tone) with accept, reject, or can be turned off (back to one tone). Kinda like the two toned Golden Sabre, Royal Sabre, or GM King Cobra. The Vista brand needs to have a model with high and low disc toggle to allow a selectable range of Discrimination (like the Gold Mountain 1650). As far as hearing iron.....it may be why so many loved the Nautilus IIb.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 03:20AM by Arkansas.
August 11, 2018 03:39AM
this is very true!..i have often wondered abut this over the years,but have come to the conclusion that the gif fords
just don't want to play with the "simple" characteristics of the detectors .i believe in my (heart of hearts) that a simple analog
design is what makes the machine appealing to many,and a lot of fun to use in the field!..they have been successful with this
philosophy for many,many years now.i also believe that they WANT to "re design" their products,but "something" is holding them back.
i have thoughts on this,BUT because i have no facts at my disposal ,anything i say could be construed to be "speculative" at best.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 11, 2018 01:47PM
The new Tesoro Cazador should have been the ultimate Tesoro. It never materialized. Think DeepTech blind sided them with their products.
Would have been great if Tesoro ran with Keith's idea regarding the Tejon.
I still like Tesoros, small compact lightweight umax fun machines. They love Canadian clad and will find coins next to nails.
Picked up a Sidewinder and going to make some changes to it. May not improve depth but, make it more useful for varying soil conditions.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
August 11, 2018 05:33PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new Tesoro Cazador should have been the ultima
> te Tesoro. It never materialized. Think DeepTech b
> lind sided them with their products.
> Would have been great if Tesoro ran with Keith's i
> dea regarding the Tejon.
> I still like Tesoros, small compact lightweight um
> ax fun machines. They love Canadian clad and will
> find coins next to nails.
> Picked up a Sidewinder and going to make some chan
> ges to it. May not improve depth but, make it more
> useful for varying soil conditions.

tesoros have wonderful "audio modulation" much like the "high frequency t.r". i had back in '78
(white's 4db), which allowed the operator to discern deeper targets with a "nice" round sound ,almost always indicating a coin.
i loved this useful feature,and using the "mojave" today reminds me of the "simple" time back in '78 finding good stuff with whitey's
4 db...although tesoros are much faster in recovery speed than the early t.r's,they still have audio modulation at depth,and this is proving to "still"
be a ton of fun for me in the field,as with practice,one can still hear the "round" sound associated with a coin at depth on the mojave.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 11, 2018 11:25PM
James/Texas Wrote:
> I had a Vaquero, sold it after 6 months. Then, sev
> eral years later bought a black Vaquero and after
> 6 months sold it too. I tried and tried to get use
> d to the tone that they talk about but I do have s
> ome hearing loss and I chalked it up to that. I tr
> ied. Believe me I tried. I did find small pieces o
> f gold jewelry with it and lots of coins but I cou
> ld not for the life of me get used to what the det
> ector was telling me. I do hunt in very trashy par
> ks. There are not any relics or old homesteads to
> hunt where I live, so I stick to mainly city parks
> . They are newer parks and have been hunted so man
> y times. I now use mainly the Deus and after using
> it for a year now, I have come to love it. I did p
> urchase a Makro Multi Kruzer and am having fun pla
> ying with it but I got it because it is waterproof
> and I live fairly close to the Gulf.
>
> Personally, it makes no difference to me what dete
> ctor a person uses. It all comes down to what you
> like and have come to learn and whatever detector
> a person likes is fine with me. Knowing the detect
> or by putting in the time with it is the main thin
> g. That is where the success comes in to play. Kno
> wing the detector.
>
> For me and my way of hunting, I want a multi tone
> detector with a meter that is light and I will sti
> ck with my Deus. At least for now. But I will alwa
> ys have a multi tone detector.
>
> This is a great discussion that I am enjoying.

hi jim!
yes it IS difficult learning the various audio "nuances" with a tesoro.it requires a ton of patience as you well know!
it CAN be frustrating as only 'slight" differences exist from target to target,and it definitely "requires" intense concentration.
once your "brain" knows the audio differences,(and this takes considerable time),the detector becomes an absolute pleasure to run!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 12, 2018 10:08AM
(quote differences exist from target to target,and it definitely "requires" intense concentration)

See there is another problem imo….. My attention span aint so great and INTENSE concentration on a single tone trying to catch a subtle nuance doesn't sound all that fun to me. Why not just buy a detector that screams difference in tones? Hence a multi tone detector.

Can I tell I got a silver coin under the coil with my detectors? You bet a high majority of the time I can without having to listen for a subtle change in the tone because my machines scream silver with a high tone. I also can tell you if a object is round with the deus because it has a round sound in the tone. I just don't like the old school analog stuff. Others do and that's fine …..jmaryt you have a open invite as I would like to see a skilled Tesoro user show me the tonal nuance and be able to tell me whats under the coil before they dig.
August 12, 2018 10:34AM
Detectors have their loyal users. Nothing wrong with that. I would never try to tell anyone what to swing. It is all about having fun. Leaving targets in the ground? If you hunt alone you will never know. But having said that.....It is my opinion that unmasking abilities of detectors is one area in this hobby where great advancements in technology have happened. Minelab....Nokta/Makro....XP. Also the AT aspect and the ability to hunt in any condition is appealing. Steps are steps. That old 67 Chevy will get you where you want to go. Some still prefer it. But factor in safety...fuel economy....availability of parts?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2018 10:55AM by goodmore.
August 12, 2018 12:45PM
Deeptech Smart Plus vs Tesoro Vaquero. The Deeptech is slightly deeper, faster and unmask a tad better BUT its single beep, other than modulation, only tells you that a target is ferrous or non-ferrous. On the other hand, a knowledgeable Tesoro user can get a lot of info from a Tesoro's single audio tone. The next time someone does a video of a VDI detector's ability to unmask in a bed of nail, please show the screen. The VDI numbers in my tests show that masked targets, such as silver coins, in a bed of nails are only slightly higher than iron.

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2018 02:55PM by tabman.
August 12, 2018 06:42PM
One thing about single tone machines is that the 8 ohm headphones (like Calrads) bring out the quality of the signal. One might find it harder to learn tone variances by using high end headphones. A secondary question would be, does non-modulated (audio boost to hear deeper targets) type machines affect the quality of the signal?? I know some Fisher guys who preferred the 1265 (modulated) over the 1266 (non-modulated) because the 1266 was too noisy on dry sand beach.....maybe other factors like the model differences with coils. The solid coil seemed more stable than the newer 1266 spider coil. Anyways modulation, depth, and signal quality was my question.
August 12, 2018 06:53PM
My tests match Tabman's...... VDI machines that can unmask coins in iron show IDs that are off. They blend (average the numbers). Some VDI machines that dont blend the numbers simply wont hear the coin next to iron. The Minelab Explorer, for example with show correct coin ID at depth, but not the greatest at unmasking. Always dig the high tones no matter the ID, works the best.
August 12, 2018 08:31PM
I have never had to have intense concentration using a Tesoro detector. For relic hunting you set the disc to just knock out cut nail and dig all repeatable solid tones. How hard is that.lol with a little time hunting with one you start to pick up on the little nuances of that sound and start calling it before you dig it. Relic hunting your going to dig all above a square nail anyhow so who cares how many tones you have. I have and use several of the best machines made today but still have a respect for what a Tesoro can do in heavy iron. If I walked onto a site with a Vaquero with a 5.75 concentric or Mojave with a 7in concentric and that site was littered with square nails, deteriorated tin can lids, and lots of large iron i wouldn't feel outgunned against someone using the Deus or Nox 800. So if any of you that only use multi tone, multi frequency machines want to let me know where your sites are so I can go hit them with an old outdated analog machine I would be glad to. Shouldn't be a problem since they don't work well and are crap. Lol
August 12, 2018 08:46PM
You got a open invite too... let me when your down this way....Your correct about VDI numbers in iron all over the place. Tone is king but iron affects that too some times... A lot of times this is what I can tell with my machines....conductivity of a target (silver, aluminum, lead , etc) , depth, and shape by tones . VDI numbers don't use on the Deus but do use on the Nox in the learning process. Different folks different strokes....
August 12, 2018 11:58PM
A hammer or saw are better tools for the task each was designed to do....just get both, you need them....lol. Sites are never worked out for many reasons. For one, the various machines that hit a site can be so different....one can conjure a coin out no matter what detector was used prior. Even just changing coil size, shape, or type (dd or concentric) can make it seem like you are on a whole new site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 02:12AM by Arkansas.
August 13, 2018 12:31AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> (quote differences exist from target to target,an
> d it definitely "requires" intense concentration)
>
>
> See there is another problem imo….. My attention s
> pan aint so great and INTENSE concentration on a s
> ingle tone trying to catch a subtle nuance doesn't
> sound all that fun to me. Why not just buy a detec
> tor that screams difference in tones? Hence a mult
> i tone detector.
>
> Can I tell I got a silver coin under the coil with
> my detectors? You bet a high majority of the time
> I can without having to listen for a subtle change
> in the tone because my machines scream silver with
> a high tone. I also can tell you if a object is ro
> und with the deus because it has a round sound in
> the tone. I just don't like the old school analog
> stuff. Others do and that's fine …..jmaryt you hav
> e a open invite as I would like to see a skilled T
> esoro user show me the tonal nuance and be able t
> o tell me whats under the coil before they dig.

i don't care to "debate" you i just prefer tesoros for the reasons already mentioned!
i like and enjoy analog designs!..they still work quite well,and in my view are fun to use in the field!
a lot of tesoro users CAN tell the difference between coins and junk,not just me!..it's not perfect,but reliable enough most of the time.
ya have to spend a lot of time hunting with one,but I enjoy it,and that's what counts!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 13, 2018 12:40AM
Welgund Wrote:
> I have never had to have intense concentration usi
> ng a Tesoro detector. For relic hunting you set t
> he disc to just knock out cut nail and dig all rep
> eatable solid tones. How hard is that.lol with a
> little time hunting with one you start to pick up
> on the little nuances of that sound and start call
> ing it before you dig it. Relic hunting your goin
> g to dig all above a square nail anyhow so who car
> es how many tones you have. I have and use severa
> l of the best machines made today but still have a
> respect for what a Tesoro can do in heavy iron. I
> f I walked onto a site with a Vaquero with a 5.75
> concentric or Mojave with a 7in concentric and tha
> t site was littered with square nails, deteriorate
> d tin can lids, and lots of large iron i wouldn't
> feel outgunned against someone using the Deus or N
> ox 800. So if any of you that only use multi tone
> , multi frequency machines want to let me know whe
> re your sites are so I can go hit them with an old
> outdated analog machine I would be glad to. Shoul
> dn't be a problem since they don't work well and a
> re crap. Lol
> .

yes! the mojave is "surgical" in that environment!..as you mentioned and i agree,you CAN discern slight differences in the response of "good "targets,but as you mentioned,
just "take out" the "small" stuff (iron) and listen to :distinguish" the better "hits!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 13, 2018 12:48AM
jmaryt Wrote:
> calabash digger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > (quote differences exist from target to target,
> an
> > d it definitely "requires" intense concentration
> )
> >
> >
> > See there is another problem imo….. My attention
> s
> > pan aint so great and INTENSE concentration on a
> s
> > ingle tone trying to catch a subtle nuance doesn
> 't
> > sound all that fun to me. Why not just buy a det
> ec
> > tor that screams difference in tones? Hence a mu
> lt
> > i tone detector.
> >
> > Can I tell I got a silver coin under the coil wi
> th
> > my detectors? You bet a high majority of the tim
> e
> > I can without having to listen for a subtle chan
> ge
> > in the tone because my machines scream silver wi
> th
> > a high tone. I also can tell you if a object is
> ro
> > und with the deus because it has a round sound i
> n
> > the tone. I just don't like the old school analo
> g
> > stuff. Others do and that's fine …..jmaryt you h
> av
> > e a open invite as I would like to see a skilled
> T
> > esoro user show me the tonal nuance and be able
> t
> > o tell me whats under the coil before they dig.
>
>
> i don't care to "debate" you i just prefer tesoros
> for the reasons already mentioned!
> i like and enjoy analog designs!..they still work
> quite well,and in my view are fun to use in the fi
> eld!
> a lot of tesoro users CAN tell the difference bet
> ween coins and junk,not just me!..it's not perfect
> ,but reliable enough most of the time.
> ya have to spend a lot of time hunting with one,bu
> t I enjoy it,and that's what counts!
>
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

Yes John, enjoying the detector you are using is what really counts.----What Tesoro(s) do you currently own/use at this point in time?--------Del
August 13, 2018 02:44AM
hi del!
i only have the mojave! no other detectors!
"crackerjack" little coin sniper!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 13, 2018 02:48AM
I had a vaquero... probably the deepest machine I’ve ever used super tuned. BUT! it loved deep iron when ran on outer limits. Even more then the deus. It did a good job hunting but once once you run VDI... it’s hard to go back.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
August 13, 2018 01:32PM
Tesoro guys are liken to fly fishermen who "match the hatch",but they do it with nuances of the tones--real skill is involved in both pursuits.

Some others are "meat hunters"---just gimmie a detector that will "blast'em",don't want none o dem Nuances.

No offence to either group---just the way the posts read.
August 13, 2018 03:16PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Tesoro guys are liken to fly fishermen who "match
> the hatch",but they do it with nuances of the tone
> s--real skill is involved in both pursuits.
>
> Some others are "meat hunters"---just gimmie a det
> ector that will "blast'em",don't want none o dem N
> uances.
>
> No offence to either group---just the way the post
> s read.

Well said Doc.
Nothing like a good cannon to reach out there.
Like over a mile.
Enjoy.
[m.youtube.com]
August 13, 2018 04:33PM
Quite a shot--I am a bit confused--the video title says"338 @ 1860 yds,but the description says"300 win" ???
August 13, 2018 05:35PM
I will admit I like some type of Tone I.D. with Modulated audio. If I have that I don't need a screen. That's why I like the 'Hotter' New Tone Golden uMax with it's 4 Tones and Modulated Audio.
The closest thing to a single Tone Detector I liked was a Nautilus IIBa,IIB, or II. But with its DMC circuit hard to call it a Single tone as has many type tones once learned.
And sweet Modulated Audio. I got to where I could hunt a fairly trashy area with it listening for that soft sweet Modulated Disc. Only round type Tone. Almost always a keeper when You hear that tone.
August 13, 2018 06:38PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I will admit I like some type of Tone I.D. with Mo
> dulated audio. If I have that I don't need a scree
> n. That's why I like the 'Hotter' New Tone Golden
> uMax with it's 4 Tones and Modulated Audio.
> The closest thing to a single Tone Detector I like
> d was a Nautilus IIBa,IIB, or II. But with its DMC
> circuit hard to call it a Single tone as has many
> type tones once learned.
> And sweet Modulated Audio. I got to where I could
> hunt a fairly trashy area with it listening for th
> at soft sweet Modulated Disc. Only round type Tone
> . Almost always a keeper when You hear that tone.

That Golden new tones was/is a fun detector.----Wish I would have kept the one I had.----Sell me yours Harold!winking smiley
August 13, 2018 07:56PM
I bought Tabman's as He said it was the Hottest Golden on the planet and I believe Him. In 'My mild ground' it will hit 9" Silver dimes with the proper soft modulated high tone. It has a Hot 8" brown donut coil that matches up perfect with the Detector. I tried other coils and not close
to the depth the Brown Donut gets.
I paid up for it but worth every penny to Me.
August 13, 2018 11:26PM
yes!.. this is the way i interpret it as well!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 13, 2018 11:46PM
Hey Harold, Have you tried the older 8" white donut coil?? The white coil is a favorite in the UK because it runs smoother in thick iron (or wet grass) than the brown coil or white spider coil. The brown coil is deeper tho. It would be intresting to test all three coils in the same dirt.....not only for depth but for chirpiness on a busy site. Their is also the newer 8" white coil as found on the Outlaw.....could be just a difference in color. Their is really quite a few 5 pin Tesoro (and Troy) coils to choose from. Fun fun.