Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sand scoop

Posted by AUDuke 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sand scoop
April 08, 2011 11:11PM
Can someone tell me where I can locate a Diamond Back scoop? Thanx.
Re: Sand scoop
April 09, 2011 05:51AM
Try this:

[www.nuttallenterprises.com]

Are you sure the scoop you are looking for is 'diamond head' instead of 'diamondback'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 05:55AM by TerraDigger.
April 10, 2011 03:44AM
+Thanx TerraDigger, That is the one I was looking for. Duke
April 18, 2011 01:17AM
AUDuke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can someone tell me where I can locate a Diamond
> Back scoop? Thanx.

Just curious as to why you like the Diamond Head ?
I've been using Riley's Treasure Gold scoops and love them.
April 18, 2011 01:39AM
As long as we are on the scoop theme. For years I have wondered if anyone makes a scoop out of Kevlar plastic. And if not, why? Maybe Tom D. or one of the other tech heads/scientists here could offer input on this question.
A completely non-metallic scoop would be a blessing.
April 18, 2011 02:25AM
Strength and durability! Stainless steel is a MUCH better choice in the harsh environment. I know there are some really good composites......yet, does not come close to carbon steel or stainless (CRES) steel.
April 18, 2011 02:50PM
I got a excellent long handled scoop from Sunspot products in Warren Mi last year. The thing is all stainless steel and incredibly strong. I've punished it against plenty of rocks and still is in perfect shape. I have a Riellys scoop and they are good but not for working in stone bottom rivers, I needed a bigger basket.
April 20, 2011 02:22AM
Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AUDuke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can someone tell me where I can locate a
> Diamond
> > Back scoop? Thanx.
>
>
> Just curious as to why you like the Diamond Head
> ?
> I've been using Riley's Treasure Gold scoops and
> love them.

Dont know ifin I like em or not, looking for a scoop to penetrate hard clay and rocks. Just looking now. Duke.
June 23, 2011 12:53AM
A word about the possibility of composite scoops and why we don't see them offered. Although composite laminate material is extremely strong (ie. more and more aviation and aerospace structure is being formed by advanced composite structure like the Boeing 787) it does have its weakness. Two areas of consideration are found in the actual buildup of the composite, whether it be a layered composite laminate with glue between layers (much like plywood) or the composite filament wound over a mandrel for forming. It is the "edge" and the "glue" that present the weak link. We in the rocket business often look for the significant telltale "debond" which is typically found by non destructive testing...or XRay. Once started, delamination can occur like a zipper effect rendering the material useless. Case in point...have you ever witnessed the edge of an otherwise perfect looking piece of plywood begin to deteriorate due to environmental factors? Happens all the time if the edge is not properly cared for. Now, in regard to the handscoop.......it is the penetrating "edge" of the scoop which experiences the most wear and tear, subjecting it to an erosion of the filament composite fiber and leading to a complete breakdown of the substructure. This constant axial loading in time would cause delamination, fracturing and loss of structural integrity. The glue is also a point of concern as it "wears" during this loading process...thus resulting in delamination. One answer would be to protect the scoop tip with a stainless steel edge but then we are back to why not just buy a SS scoop and never worry.
Bob......Re: Sand scoop
June 23, 2011 03:54AM
Kudos on the detailed explanation.smiling smiley I learned something about a idea I have been curious about for years.