Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer gain setting in machine gun iron

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer gain setting in machine gun iron
April 20, 2016 11:03AM
What range are you setting the gain on the Racer/R2 in machine gun iron? I don't have a lot of the old square nails to deal with but do have rusty nails and larger iron. Also, I'm still indecisive on which is best 3 tone vs 2 tone. I'm using 3 tone mostly for scouting and switching to 2 tone when really going through a site.

Tom
Re: Racer gain setting in machine gun iron
April 20, 2016 01:31PM
3 tone seems to have ID at greater depths as well as all metal over 2 tone. Default 3 tone with gain of 70 works good for me.
April 20, 2016 02:47PM
Same on the Relic. I haven't run gain below 90. Should I lower it?
April 20, 2016 03:33PM
If it's heavy iron the guys on the other side of the pond turn their power like I do down to say 55 you not looking for depth you want to get through the iron..that always works for me even with the 5x10 coil..I only use 2 tone and find a lot of good relics....in my videos I compare two tone to three and three tone make no difference

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 01:58AM by Lawrenzo.
April 20, 2016 06:35PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll spend more time with 3 tone and for sure drop the gain way down from what I have been using.
Have the new 5.5" coil on order which should be a big help.

Tom
April 20, 2016 07:05PM
I usually run mine 85-95 even in the trashiest of places. If I'm getting overloads I just raise the coil. Somewhere in the mid 90's the machine goes into, my explanation now, a hyper mode. Purring splatting chatting but when it hits good metal you know it. 3 tone is the tell tale of what's there, accompanied with the best audio in a detector, your on a track to success.
April 20, 2016 08:47PM
I think the gain needs to be set depending how deep you expect targets to be. Hunting Southwest ghost towns the gain can be set really low because the coins are not deep. Lack of moisture, vegetation, insects, and small animals mean that often the coins are actually on the surface or only an inch or two below the surface. The less gain the better target separation in iron infested sites as the coil doesn't radiate a signal out from the edge like it does with high gain settings. Back east or down south it's most often necessary to get maximum depth to get targets so high gain is required. Read the site and adjust gain accordingly.
April 20, 2016 09:07PM
Jack and Tom,

Thanks for the further input. Hitting the deeper stuff is one of my concerns with using lower gain. I had been experimenting with lowering the isat from default 6 down to 2. It's probably my imagination but, the detector does not seems as calm working iron with the lower setting. I'm going back to default for a while and find out.

Tom
April 21, 2016 02:00AM
Hey clean it up with a lower power then add a little more next time. You may want deeper but may miss targets that are an inch or two in the dirt..On the racer 50 is not going to lose you a lot of depth on two tone

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 21, 2016 03:45AM
I like 3 tone, gain 85, iron audio at 2, disc at 2 and lower tone break to 65 on my Racer 2.