Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Short Relic Hunt After Work Strikes Early US Silver !!!

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Short Relic Hunt After Work Strikes Early US Silver !!!
May 06, 2018 01:01AM
Tom and I got out for a few hours after work yesterday to one of his "back-pocket" spots that's been well worked the years. It's getting stingy with targets, but I still managed to get a few keepers, including the oldest seated dime I've found, as my previous oldest seateds were an 1840 half dollar, and an 1840 seated half dime.

If anyone has any idea what this do-hickey is, I'd greatly appreciate an ID. It's about an inch long, and the ID of the circle at the top is about the diameter of a U.S. nickel:

Big ole piece of lead at the top was super deep, two old pieces of green copper we find at Spanish era sites:

Nice old late 1700's/early 1800's flat button:

And the grand finale - lol This seated dime was deep, came in as a high tone whisper, and even the pinpoint audio was weak/soft. I've been fooled with plenty of deep iron that sounds similar, but this sounded good enough to go for, took several shovel loads of dirt to get to it, and finally the pin-pointer was sounding off as I saw a dark black disc fly by in the dirt movement. I felt around for it, and located it, and before looking at it I felt it to see if it had a loop as I suspected it was going to be a button, no loop, OK, time to check it out and it was an 1838-O seated dime!!

Thanks for looking and HH,
Cal
Re: Short Relic Hunt After Work Strikes Early US Silver !!!
May 06, 2018 01:11AM
Nice finds. Beautiful Seated with nice detail. What detector? HH jim tn
May 06, 2018 01:21AM
That's a very nice coin! It appears to be a semi key date as well.
May 06, 2018 01:31AM
LOL I get 1840 seated dime so ya gotta run out and get a 1838............you were getting really really close to bust territory. Can't remember the last year of the Capped Bust, 1836 or 37. Detail is sure nice on that one. Mine was getting pretty slick.
May 06, 2018 01:46AM
Nice!! I love getting sat down.
May 06, 2018 01:54AM
Yes. Ahem .... as Brian mentions, it was ... ahem ... *my* back pocket site. It's getting stingy, but is so large, that ya never know what else will pop up. That was a fun hunt !

I actually couldn't join Brian @ this spot last yesterday. But instead chose to go about 5 miles away to another of my back-pocket sites, that I wanted to try a new angle on. But alas, only ended up with a few humble age indicators (suspender clip, 1910's junkage, etc...)

There was 2 gold coins so far that have turned up at the spot Brian's seated dime came from . A $10 (I forget the year) via a friend of ours, and this $5, which I got about 10+ yrs. ago :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 01:55AM by Tom_in_CA.
May 06, 2018 01:57AM
Congratulations Brian ! I always like the gilt buttons too. An 1820s-1840's feel. Right in the same age range as the seated. Seateds from the 1830s are very hard to come by in CA. It's actually more likely to find reales, than seateds of that age-range of loss. Fun hunt !
May 06, 2018 01:59AM
jim tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .... What detector? HH jim tn

I was wondering why Brian didn't plug that into there (this is a tech. forum after all, haha) . He was further testing a certain new machine, that we all know cures cancer, and does 0 to 100 in 5 seconds.
May 06, 2018 03:08AM
Come on Brian. Inquiring minds want to know? Multi Kruzer or Nox?
May 06, 2018 03:16AM
I'm wondering if maybe woodchip hustlers "area 51" might be in California as well as virginia
May 06, 2018 04:06AM
jim tn Wrote:
> Nice finds. Beautiful Seated with nice detail. What t detector? HH jim tn

Thanks Jim. It was located with the EQ800.
May 06, 2018 04:06AM
Pedlar mills Wrote:
> I'm wondering if maybe woodchip hustlers "area 51"
> might be in California as well as virginia

Brian's videos of the exploits are as good as theirs. Well ... ok ... I'll admit ..... their's are hard to compete with. haha

Hoover boys versus the woodchip hustlers ... that's the ticket !
May 06, 2018 04:07AM
coinhunterseth Wrote:
> That's a very nice coin! It appears to be a semi key date as well.

Thanks, yep not a bad date at all thumbs down
May 06, 2018 04:11AM
Oregongregg Wrote:
> LOL I get 1840 seated dime so ya gotta run out and get a 1838............you were getting really really close to bust territory. Can't remember the last year of the Capped Bust, 1836 or 37. Detail is sure nice on that one. Mine was getting pretty slick.

Well you are using one of those obsolete detectors - lol

Second year of the seated liberty. Pretty sure a bust coin (or two) have come from that site, I know several reales have, although none have been under my loop yet.

Wish I was meeting you guys are the WTHO outing, good luck and let me know how you guys do thumbs down
May 06, 2018 04:13AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Nice!! I love getting sat down.

Thanks Daniel. My second seated this year, and both were decent dates, can't complain thumbs down
May 06, 2018 04:16AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Congratulations Brian ! I always like the gilt buttons too. An 1820s-1840's feel. Right in the same age range as the seated. Seateds from the 1830s are very hard to come by in CA. It's actually more likely to find reales, than seateds of that age-range of loss. Fun hunt !

Yep it was fun, not a lot of targets, but was still fun. Next time we'll take my FJ thumbs down
May 06, 2018 04:28AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Come on Brian. Inquiring minds want to know? Multi Kruzer or Nox?

It was the EQ800, Field2. The flat button and dime sounded sweet thumbs down
May 06, 2018 04:30AM
Pedlar mills Wrote:
> I'm wondering if maybe woodchip hustlers "area 51" might be in California as well as virginia

Funny you should mention that . . .
May 06, 2018 11:01AM
Nice find Cal.

Thanks for sharing.
May 06, 2018 12:56PM
great dime! I only have one seated dime and one capped bust half-dime. Been looking for another for quite a while now.
The do-hickey - does it have hole through it? kinda reminds me of a faucet aerator or a spray head.

Wayne
May 06, 2018 04:10PM
Thanks TNSS!

Wayne the do-hickey is solid, it's something pretty old, hard to see in the small photos but it was hand finished with file marks around the edges, so I'd say it's likely pre-1850's whatever it is.

HH,
Brian
May 06, 2018 04:23PM
Maybe the do-hickey is a piece off of furniture ? Like a knob of some sorts, with the cap missing (thinking the cap was onyx or pearl or something decorative that fit into the top of it), and the threaded piece screwed into a part of a drawer or door ?

No clue....just guessing.
May 06, 2018 08:21PM
Here's the other gold coin that has come from Brian's 1838 O dime spot :

May 06, 2018 09:21PM
Tom we need to go back there, but between the grass and some areas had rock hard ground, it really slows you down, but I'll bet there's more gold coins at that site given the history thumbs down

Didn't you say you were going to spank me with your mighty Explorer2 on our next hunt confused smiley
May 06, 2018 10:59PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>
> Didn't you say you were going to spank me with you
> r mighty Explorer2 on our next hunt confused smiley

Provided we hunt the same ground. You know I was down the road scouting something else smiling smiley
May 07, 2018 12:51AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Didn't you say you were going to spank me with y
> ou
> > r mighty Explorer2 on our next hunt confused smiley
>
> Provided we hunt the same ground. You know I was down the road scouting something else smiling smiley

Oh sure, excuses, excuses eye popping smiley
May 07, 2018 02:42PM
I believe 1838 dimes came in seated and bust...depending when and where minted....
May 07, 2018 04:10PM
Nice save on the seated there Brian. thumbs down
May 07, 2018 04:20PM
Beautiful dime!
May 07, 2018 08:35PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> I believe 1838 dimes came in seated and bust...depending when and where minted....

One year earlier, 1837 was the first year of seated liberty dimes/half dimes. I've only dug two bust coins, a half dollar and a toasted dime. Their not easy to find in California.