Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Round 2 tom and the nox 800

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Round 2 tom and the nox 800
May 23, 2018 03:32PM
Why would Minelab have Tom sign a nondisclosure agreement? The detector is selling really well it has been used by many hunters. After the release why would they want to keep him quiet? I would think (A) they don't want him to really review the machine from the inside out and tell us all the good and bad about it. Or (cool smiley he didn't really like the way the machine turned out? Is Minelab protecting themselves? A lot of us have tested machines and the company tells us we can't talk about anything until the new machine is released. It was that way for me with fisher and the impact...anyway just thought I would stir the pot again.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Round 2 tom and the nox 800
May 23, 2018 04:04PM
I suggest you get one and try for yourself. Tom will speak on it when he can or wants to. Certainly, we all want to hear what Tom and Keith really think of the detector, but "beating a dead horse." so to speak, won't help. Just my opinion, anyway. HH jim tn
May 23, 2018 04:31PM
I swear he said he could talk once it was released in another post?

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
May 23, 2018 04:49PM
I suspect the only thing keeping him from talking about the new Minelabs is personal integrity. Fisher uses him. Nokta/Makro uses him, and now Minelab is using him. I would suspect both Fisher and Nokta/Makro have prototype units in his hands right now and he is walking a fine line between all three companies.

I agree with Jim, if the feature set of the detector interests you, buy one and run it through your dirt and see if you like it. Then you can report how you like it for what you are hunt with it in the dirt you hunt in.

I personally think the days of Tom reporting on a detector like he did with the Fisher units is over. His footprint has grown too large.

HH
Mike.
May 23, 2018 05:04PM
If they are smart they would team up with Tom again and come up with a Updated CZ-3D. I bet they would surprised how a New 'Dinosaur' would sell.
May 23, 2018 05:15PM
I think Mike Hillis nailed it.. This has been my thought for some time now..
Maybe the best thing to do is ask Tom what Detector he uses when NOT testing for the manufacturers.
I know he has listed them in the past, but that list may be different now..

Bryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 05:21PM by Cabin Fever.
May 23, 2018 05:55PM
The only Problem is Tom has like 50 Detectors.
May 23, 2018 06:06PM
Again there seems to be a basic misunderstanding between marketing testers and engineering/development testers. Engineering testers never report except to the company Who sent them the devices. Marketing testers are expected to report to the public - that’s why they get the devices.

Tom was clearly an engineering Tester as well as Steve Herschbach. Neither of them are free to disclose details of how that engineering testing went.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 06:12PM by lytle78.
May 23, 2018 06:08PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only Problem is Tom has like 50 Detectors.

If I remember correctly Tom listed roughly 4 Detectors that he uses for different types of hunting and conditions..
It would be interesting to know if the Equinox made it on his roster.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 06:11PM by Cabin Fever.
May 23, 2018 08:03PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Again there seems to be a basic misunderstanding b
> etween marketing testers and engineering/developme
> nt testers. Engineering testers never report excep
> t to the company Who sent them the devices. Marke
> ting testers are expected to report to the public
> - that’s why they get the devices.
>
> Tom was clearly an engineering Tester as well as S
> teve Herschbach. Neither of them are free to dis
> close details of how that engineering testing went
> .

Exactly thumbs down
May 23, 2018 10:38PM
Get one and use.
Report on if you want.

Hard for lots of folks to report accurately on inert ground, medium and even more harsh mineralization.

Besides reporting would only spark questions, and more questions.
And answering them accurately might infringe(or place in conflict of interest) in more ways than one.

You know the way things go.
As far as questions.
Like which is best, or better for etc, etc etc.

Really a detector must be compared to other detectors to rack and stack for whatever.

So ante up if you like, get one and have fun.
You don't like put it in the closet or sell.

Lots of folks here are very capable of reporting on detector performance.

What I want Mr Dankoswki to do, is keep doing what he's doing. Stay involved within the industry and help the manufacturers bring us better equipment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 10:41PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 23, 2018 10:49PM
Opinions are like .....you know the rest.

There are folks on this forum and elsewhere (I am NOT one of them) who have done careful and consistent testing and reporting of their experiences. Not everyone has the same set of favorite “gurus” - but I think we can all agree that Tom is among the “stars”

The data, presented and organized - whether in text or video - in a careful, thoughtful and well-organized review - by a trusted expert - is worth more to me that the thousands or words or hours of video posted by folks for whom I have less regard.

I am not suggesting that my “gurus” should be yours, but not all opinions are equally valuable - at least to me.

Rick Kempf
May 24, 2018 12:12AM
I will add one more thing. Using my Nox 600, I get the feeling that it was rushed to market. There are many - let’s say - “anomalies” about it. Folks who I respect excitedly report finding targets where they had no reason to expect - at the same time the device’s behavior - the extreme edge sensitivity of the DD coil, persistent iron falsing and compressed ID range are causing a lot of folks to struggle.

A year from now we will know just what it is really worth - now, it’s testing time, gaining experience and having sober, thoughtful experts report their discoveries.

Rick Kempf
May 24, 2018 01:44AM
Keith reviewed it and said it was a good machine but didn't seem to be doing cartwheels over it. That is my take on his video. He really liked the Vista Gold Gain in iron and had a lot of great stuff to say about it. He really liked the Impact and a lot of other machines. So from his testing, I would still keep my impact and pass on the 800 until it was tested with a better coil maybe a smaller one. It may be they did rush it to market and are finding a new coil me make this machine hunt better. I am always a reader before I'm a buyer. So far the info is still up in the air. I was thinking since it can rum five freq all at one time it may give an edge to the other machines on the market but so far still need to stir the pot and read more. My seasons starts in early fall.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

May 24, 2018 02:05AM
Jeez Low Boy, just get one (800) for yourself already and try it. I'm with Mike on this one.

Dean

PS- The 800 performs better for me than the Impact.
May 24, 2018 02:08AM
If you lend me yours I'll try it and then report what I think but for now, I'll just read more and I will STOP stirring the pot...sorry

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 24, 2018 08:54AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> I will add one more thing. Using my Nox 600, I ge
> t the feeling that it was rushed to market. There
> are many - let’s say - “anomalies” about it. Folk
> s who I respect excitedly report finding targets w
> here they had no reason to expect - at the same ti
> me the device’s behavior - the extreme edge sensit
> ivity of the DD coil, persistent iron falsing and
> compressed ID range are causing a lot of folks to
> struggle.
>
> A year from now we will know just what it is reall
> y worth - now, it’s testing time, gaining experien
> ce and having sober, thoughtful experts report the
> ir discoveries.

Rick

I was put off at first by the edge sensitivity, now I rather like it (miss it by an inch, miss it by a mile) and despite the coils behavior it centers and "sees" extremely well. I don't know how ML's engineers managed that (shakes head).
The iron falsing IMO is no worse than the R2 and actually more telling so that re-sweeping usually isn't necessary.
As far as the compressed ID range...like the Brits say.. horses for courses.
Wading fresh water newer bottle caps are easy to ID and ignore, at least the ones I have come across so far, but the old deep rusty ones hit mid conductor usually locking on a number. but that's no different than many other machines. It can be a problem on land I suppose.

The Equinox definitely needs more coils!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 25, 2018 07:08PM
It's probably good strategy for a manufacturer to try to get respected detectorists to accept a pre-release unit along with a NDA. That way, not only does the manufacturer get useful feedback that it can use in tweaking the programming, etc., but during the rollout, because of the NDA, the testers won't be able to report on the shortcomings, problems and bugs they no doubt find (there are always those), so the initial hype and enthusiasm that attends the rollout of a promising machine won't be dampened. I'm not slamming the Nox, which I have and like (in spite of a few issues), but it would be naive not to recognize what happens.

As to why respected detectorists accept a pre-release unit and the NDA, well, they get to be part of the process, which is probably interesting, and may just contribute to it being a better machine. They also often end up with a free machine, but I suspect that's not a major consideration.
May 27, 2018 06:50PM
jim tn Wrote:
> I suggest you get one and try for yourself. Tom wi
> ll speak on it when he can or wants to. Certainly,
> we all want to hear what Tom and Keith really thin
> k of the detector, but "beating a dead horse." so
> to speak, won't help. Just my opinion, anyway. HH
> jim tn

jim!..i tried that once!.."beating a dead horse".it didn't work!..the horse was already dead!
i'm just saying'

j.t.
May 27, 2018 08:36PM
Not willing to spend the money on this machine just yet

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 28, 2018 01:13AM
no worries! low boy! ain't no shortage!..just of the right kind!
i'm just sayin'

(p.s.) love to have tom jump in and let us know what he thinks!
wishful thinking apparently!

j.t.
May 28, 2018 03:36AM
It's just money LowBoy and not a lot of it. Most people I know have that much stashed away in their vehicle console. It's not like it costs a kidney or some other body part.

Buy one, use it a while. If you don't like it, sell it. Demand for them is still reasonably high. The only problem I ran into when I had mine for sale, were people that would send messages saying they would take it, and then they never follow through and just disappear...had two do that from this forum. No worries...I just put them on my list for future reference. If anybody makes it on my list, if I ever have something listed for sale in the future, I will not sell to them. If I see their name in my message box, it gets deleted.
Re: Round 2 tom and the nox 800 Daniel Tn
May 28, 2018 05:59PM
So you had one and sold it...why?

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

May 28, 2018 08:30PM
Lowboy,
You're approaching the point of less return if you want to try one and decide to wait much longer. Still enough time/demand to swing one around a bit and be able to dispose of it for what you paid but if you wait too much longer you're going to be better off picking a used 800 for the price of a 600. For the type of hunting you do it could be something special , for me it simply wasn't anything more than another fast recovery beep and dig machine , much in line with Minelabs own assessment. It's limited tone range and VDI may actually handicap it in modern trashy aluminum parks compared to the Deus for instance and definitely in comparison to the CTX or Etrac.
I'm not digging everything in those settings,,,,,,period.

I would have loved to have had Tom's assessment before I got one but , thanks to Minelabs own marketing , it was easy to get in and out without much of a risk. He who hesitates may get stuck with an unwanted NOX.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2018 08:32PM by shoveler.
May 28, 2018 09:48PM
If you were asking me (if I had one then sold it). Then No, the answer is No.

I still have it. I was only going to sell mine to help get a couple more firearms that I'm wanting....S&W 629 Hunter and possibly (but not likely) an AR10. The only reason being, that I ain't currently using a detector and won't be able to until the fall or winter. I was planning on getting another come that time.