Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What will Detectival 2018 Bring Us??

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: What will Detectival 2018 Bring Us??
July 13, 2018 10:55PM
A couple of hunt friends have the V3i (or had it) and were very, very good with it. That correlate screen was impressive in that they were able to determine more often then not, things like aluminum pull-tabs/ring-pulls from gold rings, foil, etc. Not saying it could discern with high accuracy gold from junk, but if someone put the time in on it to analyze a wide Spectrum of targets, they would be rewarded with some advanced TID techniques, it was impressive. Looking back, I wish I'd bought that instead of the F75 LTD, although I'm fairly certain I got my F75 (December 2009) before the V3i was released.
July 13, 2018 11:57PM
One thing I've learned about detecting, is it's all about the soil and what works for you. I mainly ran the F75 LTD2 since 2009, along with a few other VLFs that I tried along the way in the quest for the "perfect" metal detector. I found that in my soil, and the place I like hunting that the Racers ran circles around my F75 LTD2. I have thousands of hours on the F75 and was just blown away at what I saw. Some people had similar experiences, yet other did not. IMO it boils down to learning the detector and your ground. I did several head to head tests between the F75 LTD2 and the Red Racer and Racer 2 and in each and every test the Racers trumped the F75, it was a total eye opener. My hunt buddy that's been detecting for geesh, better part of 50 years (and he's not much older then that) is somewhat of a legend in California, and he used to consistently kick my butt when detecting BUT that all changed when I got the Racers, Impact and Multi Kruzer. Gone were the days of beat downs by Tom in CA and his trusty Exp2 of all things. Not sure why you were digging nails with the Racer, but I have noticed that they can have an affinity towards larger, deeper iron, although if you really learn the audio, you can tell between iron and not as good targets sound good without the buzz/raspiness in the audio you typically get with iron. Don't get me wrong, if I'm at a mid 1800's site that's produced seateds and gold coins, I'll likely still dig the iron, but I can almost always tell it's going to be iron before digging it.

calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah I heard the same thing about the unmasking capalbilities of the racer 2 and how deep it was. It was a let down to me. First off in discrim mode the depth went out the window in my soil which is as
> good as it gets and second it loved to high chrip on nails in the iron and had me chasing falses all day. To each his own though. Good as or better than a deus in iron , I will have to strongly disagree...BTW I have not had the MK in hand but a dealer I know said it had the same chirp problem in the thick iron on the nails. Any truth to that? [url
> =https://youtu.be/RS5Hyq3e2xo]racer 2[/url]

If their getting "chirp" problems in nails they simply don't know how to run it. Sea of nails is where I like to hunt, the Racers and MMK can and will pluck out the non-ferrous mixed in with the nails. If EMI isn't a problem, either 3-TONE w/sen @ 89, or 4-TONE w/sens as high as possible works very, very well.

Check out my MMK videos hunting old California Spanish sites which are infested with nails, cans, and iron of all shapes and sizes::

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

For my sites, in our mineralized soil (we're talking all different kinds mild to hardcore from black sand, to alkali soils, red dirt, and other hard core minerals) I don't currently believe I could find a better combination then the Multi Kruzer and the EQ800 thumbs down
July 14, 2018 12:04AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Some folks may have missed this.
> Note Geotech's comments in this thread as far as White's V3i detector.
>
> [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

So there was originally a plan to release an updated Spectra " The plans for the V4 expanded on this considerably. It would have been impressive. "

Geesh a White's Spectra V4i that would've been something to see!! Maybe it'll be sporting a Fisher label now smoking smiley
July 14, 2018 12:11AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>..... Gone were the days of beat downs by
> Tom in CA and his trusty Exp2 of all things.
>

I remember spanking you 2 or 3x to 1x @ target counts in the early days. But of all the machines you list, the one that I was most impressed with (and that I think brought our target counts more equal), was the Racer II. I know you say it's finicky in funky soils, but .... You never seemed to lack for targets wherever you used that at ! And for some reason, it seemed to do just fine on wet salt beach too.
July 14, 2018 12:27AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >..... Gone were the days of beat downs by Tom in CA and his trusty Exp2 of all things.
> >
>
> I remember spanking you 2 or 3x to 1x @ target counts in the early days. But of all the machines you list, the one that I was most impressed with (and that I think brought our target counts more equal), was the Racer II. I know you say it's finicky in funky soils, but .... You never seemed to lack for targets wherever you used that at ! And for some reason, it seemed to do just fine on wet salt beach too.

Speak of the devil hot smiley I just had to work harder to get targets in funky soil, but your Exp2 cut through it like a hot knife in butter, so I suspect the EQ800 is going to run great at those sites. If not, I'm sure the MMK can hack it out there, but the EQ800 might just kill it out there. Come on fall thumbs down
July 14, 2018 12:35AM
Yeah I know we all don't click with the same detectors. What some like I might not. I just didn't care for that machine and it didn't test really well in my soil either. As you guys have seen my soil is a dream to hunt in. Might have just been me though.....
July 14, 2018 11:05AM
We are all fortunate that there are some detectors made that among the batch, one or two will work good for our type of hunting and soil we hunt over. Brian has has success with detectors that I have not. My F 75 LTD2 depth wise ran circles around the Racer and Racer 2 I had and it has also picked through a lot of trash and found me some nice goodies. Also, it's not always the detector that continually makes good finds. HH jim tn
July 14, 2018 12:48PM
jim tn Wrote:
> We are all fortunate that there are some detectors
> made that among the batch, one or two will work go
> od for our type of hunting and soil we hunt over.
> Brian has has success with detectors that I have n
> ot. My F 75 LTD2 depth wise ran circles around the
> Racer and Racer 2 I had and it has also picked thr
> ough a lot of trash and found me some nice goodies
> . Also, it's not always the detector that continua
> lly makes good finds. HH jim tn

Sometimes its not the arrow but the Indian and other times the soil kicks the Indians ass.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
July 14, 2018 02:46PM
The only thing I really didn't like about the V3i was that it was extremely sensitive to EMI. The factory presets came a little hotter than most people could handle; which was a great contrast to the XLT and DFX in which the factory presets were made to be more stable and user friendly, and relied on the user to make programs to make it however they wanted it. There was a lot to the V3 that I never dabbled into much but I liked having the capability to do so if I ever wanted to.

Regarding the Makro/Nokta machines, there is a love or hate mindset when it comes to people that use them. I've yet to find one that I really liked, even when on paper, they have the specs I would want in a machine...in the ground, they just did not perform for me at all. But my view ain't the final authority view for them and there are some others who they have worked fine for. Me personally, and this is just my opinion and rambling. I think it's human nature to want to root for the underdogs so to speak. That fits right in with where Makro/Nokta is currently at IMO. There are some that are really pulling for them to come out with the next big hit to set the world on fire and have placed their bets on them doing so. I personally think they have a ways to go. They have done a decent job at kaizen (continuous improvement) with their products but they are gonna have to get away from small incremental improvements and really pull something big out of the hat to get make people say WOW.
July 14, 2018 03:38PM
Cal / Daniel,

We are having some wonderful weather right now and at 7am the other morning I was on a favorite farm with my E Trac.

I had not been able to detect this particular acreage due to it's always in heavy grass and the soil is slightly boggy in places.
The E Trac ranged up to 28 in Semi Auto and I was astounded by this!
Elsewhere if I ever got above 20-23 it was a rare event: typically, it's SA18

Daniel, can you remember how high you could get your SAS with your E Trac?
This helps corroborate what Cal says about: "it's all in the soil!"

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 03:39PM by Des D.
July 14, 2018 03:54PM
Des -- Most of the time it wanted to run single digits. Highest I ever remember seeing for the eTrac and CTX was the low teens.
July 15, 2018 09:48AM
I hope Rutus will present there also his new child simultaneous multifrequency Alter with few new features. As I know field tests are in progress now.
July 15, 2018 02:11PM
some organisres in UK have been known to seed the area with worn out hammys which are cheap to buy as theyre only scrap silver value .you never know